• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PERCEPTION - Survival Horror Kickstarter by former Irrational Games alumini

Despera

Banned
Interesting concept and cool visuals, but as far as gameplay is concerned I'm not feeling it. If they have an interesting story to tell, similar to Dear Esther or Gone Home, that incorporates the sound visualization aspect in a meaningful way I might give it a shot. But I don't think what I've seen of the game warrants a backing.

This is the second ex-Irrational Kickstarter game with 0 ex-Irrational Programmers involved. Did all the programmers get real jobs after the studio collapsed or did no one at Irrational like their programmers? How do they plan on making a game without programmers anyhow?

The concept seems cool but the constant quips and corny remarks are grating and seriously detract from any potential tension or horror-like atmosphere. It's like P.T. starring Nathan Drake... no thanks.

Guri

This is the second ex-Irrational Kickstarter game with 0 ex-Irrational Programmers involved. Did all the programmers get real jobs after the studio collapsed or did no one at Irrational like their programmers? How do they plan on making a game without programmers anyhow?

Err... a lot of designers also do programming. They are not artists.

The concept seems cool but the constant quips and corny remarks are grating and seriously detract from any potential tension or horror-like atmosphere. It's like P.T. starring Nathan Drake... no thanks.

It is nothing like that. At all.

Guri

Thanks for your needlessly condescending attempt to invalidate my opinion with no counter-argument or substance whatsoever. I'm not sure what you're trying to demonstrate other than an inexplicably defensive attitude.

Well, for starters, P.T. does not feature a blind person and it has a looping level. It is also not a narrative-driven game. If you want something more close to that, look for Allison Road (which looks amazing, by the way!) -- although it also doesn't feature looping (at least not announced).

As for the Nathan Drake comparison, you are talking about an action-adventure protagonist commenting about explosions sarcastically, while Cassie is a blind woman in an unknown and scary place.

I don't see any resemblance due to the reasons mentioned above. And I really don't see the problem with a person who talks about a scary and unknown mansion in a narrative-driven game. I get that usually first-person games are about projecting yourself into the character, but this is about her story, not the player's.

Consoles aren't even a stretch goal. Shame

*skip*

They are planning it. It is probably one of the stretch goals in Braille. Believe me when I say that console development is expensive, which is why a lot of campaigns don't put them in the original goal.

I thought it was very well done in Alien Isolation and never at any point felt irritated by it. It was a great balance and always just enough, along with being nicely voiced to begin with. It felt like an addition and not something that would make things better had it been subtracted. Different strokes for this one though I guess. It's just a clip, and if it releases on console I'll snatch it up regardless.

Opinions etc, I guess.

I get what where you're coming from. I'm sorry for inflating your statement into an example of a greater trend it didn't adequately represent. I made scapegoat out of you and I apologize.

Hopefully, if the game gets funded, it will be more to your liking. I was getting ahead of myself.

Well, for starters, P.T. does not feature a blind person and it has a looping level.

As for the Nathan Drake comparison, you are talking about an action-adventure protagonist commenting about explosions sarcastically, while Cassie is a blind woman in an unknown and scary place.

I don't see any resemblance due to the reasons mentioned above.

You're being intentionally obtuse. This is like saying that there's no sense in comparing Silent HIll with Resident Evil, because Resident Evil takes place in a mansion and Silent Hill begins with the letter S.

This game, with its limited visibility and haunted house setting, is obviously going for the scary/horror angle, and all I am saying is that having a main character constantly quip about how totally spooked out they are and ohmygosh what was that noise as we saw in the trailer (and which is not unlike the constant stating-of-the-obvious quips in the Uncharted games), would do a lot to undermine my personal ability to settle into the atmosphere and be potentially scared by the rest of the game.

Guri

You're being intentionally obtuse. This is like saying that there's no sense in comparing Silent HIll with Resident Evil, because Resident Evil takes place in a mansion and Silent Hill begins with the letter S.

This game, with its limited visibility and haunted house setting, is obviously going for the scary/horror angle, and all I am saying is that having a main character constantly quip about how totally spooked out they are and ohmygosh what was that noise as we saw in the trailer (and which is not unlike the constant stating-of-the-obvious quips in the Uncharted games), would do a lot to undermine my personal ability to settle into the atmosphere and be potentially scared by the rest of the game.

Yes, I don't like to compare Resident Evil to Silent Hill (at least the first games in those series), because one is about zombies and the other is psychological horror. Both need different aspects of game design and story to be excellent in what they are trying to achieve. If you to a fan of Silent Hill and ask them if they want a sequel to be like the first Resident Evil games, the person would probably say no.

As for the Uncharted comparison, I still don't see it. I mean, I get what you are trying to say (and trust me, using Dead Space as an example, I preferred when Isaac was a silent character), but this is very different from these games, because we play as a blind person in a scary place. Nathan Drake sees all the time what is happening around him and he is never in a scary and unknown situation. Cassie doesn't have her sight and, like I said in a previous post, I don't imagine a lot of people would be quiet in her situation.

You don't need to like or back the game. Different people like different things, that's OK. What I am debating with you here is your comparisons with games that I don't see any kind of similarities. It is obviously inspired by other horror titles, but things change when there is a blind protagonist. And I am really glad to have not only one, but two games like that incoming. Yay for diversity!

This is just a gameplay demo made to show how the character will react to specific moments in the game. Also, a reminder that this is a narrative-driven game, not like Amnesia or anything like that.
Sweet. That one thing is literally my only concern, as it looks like a genuinely fresh take on a genre I'm very fond of. My eyes are definitely on this. Also, nice avatar.

I get what where you're coming from. I'm sorry for inflating your statement into an example of a greater trend it didn't adequately represent. I made scapegoat out of you and I apologize.

Hopefully, if the game gets funded, it will be more to your liking. I was getting ahead of myself.
It's all good! No offense taken :)

Guri

Sweet. That one thing is literally my only concern, as it looks like a genuinely fresh take on a genre I'm very fond of. My eyes are definitely on this. Also, nice avatar.

Thank you! Although it wasn't made by me, so I don't deserve the credits, haha. Here is his blog. And if you contact him, he does commissions.

And to not post a full off-topic comment, hopefully we will get a longer demo in the future, either public or at an event!

Am I the only one that thinks the gameplay looks annoying?

Having to make a clicking noise to light up areas (see) seems really annoying to me... Also, why isn't her voice making sound echoes (lighting up areas)?

I don't necessarily think it looks annoying, but the fact that the concept is so inconsistent (her footsteps make visible echoes, but her voice does nothing) is a pretty amazing oversight. She's making these comments throughout that could actually improve the gameplay and make the experience more immersive, but that audio is just ignored.

I'd be really interested in seeing this concept done right, but I'm not sure this will be the game that does it.

Yes, I don't like to compare Resident Evil to Silent Hill (at least the first games in those series), because one is about zombies and the other is psychological horror. Both need different aspects of game design and story to be excellent in what they are trying to achieve. If you to a fan of Silent Hill and ask them if they want a sequel to be like the first Resident Evil games, the person would probably say no.

Once again, you're being intentionally obtuse- I never came close to suggesting I'd want a SH game to be exactly like an RE game, so I don't know where that came from. You're latching onto extremes and cherry picking differences in the games in order to conveniently gloss over what should be the obvious common thread: they're both horror games. They both cultivate an atmosphere of tension and suspense (and yes-before you point it out- through different approaches). In the case of Perception, it's disappointing to see a unique approach to gameplay that could lend itself well to tension and atmosphere building, be paired with a wise-crackin' groaner-of-a-one-liner at every turn main character, which I personally find to be toxic to tension and atmosphere building.

Cassie doesn't have her sight and, like I said in a previous post, I don't imagine a lot of people would be quiet in her situation.

So, if you were a blind person all alone in a haunted house being stalked by an unseen evil force, you'd think most peoples' first instinct would be to crack silly jokes and state the obvious to an imaginary audience? I don't think I can agree with you there either...

That looks awesome, but shouldn't her voice also help in echolocation?

Also... we want this in VR, right?
So, if you were a blind person all alone in a haunted house being stalked by an unseen evil force, you'd think most peoples' first instinct would be to crack silly jokes and state the obvious to an imaginary audience? I don't think I can agree with you there either...
The "haunted house being stalked by an unseen evil force" thing didn't happen until the end. She didn't know she was in such a place/situation at the beginning.

Looks really cool, hope this dont end with the same fate as The Black Glove. I was really excited for that game

Same here, and that trailer was much more interesting than this one I thought. This still could be cool though. This isn't the same people is it? Either way, I hope this game meets a better fate.

UrbanRats

Cool idea, but the constantly yapping protagonist, with the funny remarks, was a big turn off.
I know that's what scared people do to relieve tension, but it really pulls me out of the experience.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I like the narration/remarks. Probably because I also do the same thing heh. You silent people make me feel like a strange person. The only thing I found strange is that she might be a bit small, some doorknobs were at the height of her face so I dunno if she's small, or the world's too big.

I hope that they are successful, totally going to keep my eye on it.

Guri

Once again, you're being intentionally obtuse- I never came close to suggesting I'd want a SH game to be exactly like an RE game, so I don't know where that came from. You're latching onto extremes and cherry picking differences in the games in order to conveniently gloss over what should be the obvious common thread: they're both horror games. They both cultivate an atmosphere of tension and suspense (and yes-before you point it out- through different approaches). In the case of Perception, it's disappointing to see a unique approach to gameplay that could lend itself well to tension and atmosphere building, be paired with a wise-crackin' groaner-of-a-one-liner at every turn main character, which I personally find to be toxic to tension and atmosphere building.

I used that as an example, not something you said. The way I see it, "sub-genres" (if we can call them that) are way more important than an ambiguous genre. The Silent Hill audience is not the same as the Resident Evil one. The same goes for, say, Half-Life and Call of Duty (both FPS, but very different) or Mass Effect and Skyrim (both RPGs, but one is narrative-driven). Of course that you can like every game I've mentioned, but a developer shouldn't go after one audience when their game is different in other aspects.

And like someone said above, her comments changed completely when she realised she was really not alone. I know this is not the best example, but I've seen quiet players and talkative players in horror games, the second ones with similar reactions. Except that this time, the protagonist herself has her own personality. You don't like it and that is fine, but it doesn't necessarily mean that, based on a short gameplay clip, she will turn out to talk as much as Nathan Drake and always make sarcastic comments throughout the whole game. The devs said they will be talking about backgrounds and personal stories soon, so maybe we will understand the character more. I prefer to wait and I like what I have seen so far. But it doesn't mean that I'm attacking you because you'd prefer a more silent protagonist. My whole point in the discussion is to say why I don't feel like your comparisons are really fair to this specific game.

But we can always agree to disagree and move on. :D

Kikarian

I'm not a fan of this if I'm honest. Her constant talking and the ghost/spirit didn't really scare me, it's the sort of thing you expected from a game like this.

PaulloDEC

This looks totally awesome to me. Unfortunately I'm a huge wuss and can't really handle horror games, but I'd almost become a backer on the strength of the pitch video alone.

UrbanRats

I like the narration/remarks. Probably because I also do the same thing heh. You silent people make me feel like a strange person. The only thing I found strange is that she might be a bit small, some doorknobs were at the height of her face so I dunno if she's small, or the world's too big.

I hope that they are successful, totally going to keep my eye on it.

Again, it's a natural thing to relieve tension when you're scared, like when people talk and joke around, while watching horror movies.
Unfortunately that's the effect you don't want in an horror game, someone constantly talking and relieving the tension.

Imagine if the PT protagonist was constantly commenting about things or joking about stuff.

Unless it has some major character development implications, it only pulls you out of that character, and for a first person game, that's a pretty big deal.

Guri

Again, it's a natural thing to relieve tension when you're scared, like when people talk and joke around, while watching horror movies.
Unfortunately that's the effect you don't want in an horror game, someone constantly talking and relieving the tension.

Imagine if the PT protagonist was constantly commenting about things or joking about stuff.

Unless it has some major character development implications, it only pulls you out of that character, and for a first person game, that's a pretty big deal.

According to the developer, we will learn more about background and personal stories soon. This is a narrative-driven game and it's Cassie's story, so I imagine there's a reason why she talks.

drotahorror

The artstyle alone would make this worth a purchase to me. Hope it looks like that, and I wish them luck in getting funded.

gafneo

Banned
The dark won't make it scary. Darkness only makes me want to fall asleep in games. I can't imagine this being much fun.

Vaiim

Hmm... interesting idea.

The echolocation idea looks like a cool concept, but I don't like the look of the graphics due to it.

I backed on the concept, knowing full and well that if it doesn't come to consoles I'll never get to play it.

I really hope this game gets made, and is good, and comes to PlayStation. But even if it doesn't, here's $20.

Guri

Just got an update: 375,000 is for PS4. Given the comments so far in this thread, an OP/title update might be in order.

Yep, maybe a mod or the OP can edit it?

Also, I asked them about the reason why Cassie's voice doesn't affect echolocation.

Their answer was:

Why is there no effect when Cassie speaks?

We toyed with this idea, but in our tests it conflicted with the tap mechanism and it wasn't best for gameplay. We want what's best for the game, and while it's a cool idea, it wasn’t feeling right for a number of reasons. Not the least of which is that, with the exception of when Cassie yells, you couldn’t really “see” her voice unless you were standing directly next to something. We will continue to build toward what feels right for the narrative and gameplay experience, so we may revisit this.

daveo42

Banned
This looks pretty good and scratched that horror itch and is a pretty interesting concept. Backed in hopes this does get funded.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

I can see that point, really, and I understand why you don't like it. Maybe I am one of the few people that likes it, for some weird reason.

Oh man.

Oh man!

Watching Daredevil on Netflix, I couldn't stop thinking of how his abilities will adapt to gaming.

Seems like this is a great way to do it.

Now I want a Daredevil game...

I think it's an original approach to a horror game. This is a blind woman exploring what could be a haunted house by herself. She wouldn't take on that challenge if she wasn't strong willed. She didn't get suckered into this situation like most horror protagonists, she stepped into it willingly. Well, I mean she 'saw it in her dreams' so maybe in a way she did get suckered into it. But I imagine she talks like that to keep her mind from driving her crazy. I like that concept. I'm curious to see how the story progresses.

I do agree that perhaps the 'talkative' concept doesn't mesh well with the first person perspective, but we are seeing things through her blind eyes so it makes sense why it's first person.

Guri

It's a bit sad that Kickstarter projects from former Irrational devs either struggle to get funded or don't get at all. I know it's too early for this one (and I'm not pessimistic or anything), but I imagine that if Ken Levine were to do the same kind of project, it would be already funded because of his name. A lot of these Irrational people were responsible for some of our favourite parts in their games, so it's baffling to see how people don't give them credit.

Top Bottom