• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix is now going with more reasonable sales expectations for their games

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Seems they've finally learned.

They now forecast conservative sales numbers and try to exceed them instead of expecting breakout hits.

First, HD games in the Digital Entertainment segment. Launches in FY2016/3 will mainly be titles for the Western market. We are planning several releases of major titles in the second half. We expect the competitive environment to be tough, with our competitors announcing big titles in the E3 in June. We believe our titles can fully compete with these big titles, however, as I will explain later, we have been conservative in our forecast for FY2016/3. We are confident about the quality of each title, and will aim at a level far beyond our current forecast.
Source: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/ir/library/docs/150512/page06.html

Trago

So instead of 5-6 million sales expectations, they'd make it 2-4 maybe?

Perhaps they learned something with Tomb Raider and such.

SerTapTap

Good. A lot of the gross problems of last gen seem tied to greatly inflated sales expectations. And as a gamer I would much rather they consistently release quality, decent hits than repeated attempts to be super #1 extreme the best hits and can everything that isn't. Way too many franchises have fallen on that sword.

Zophar

One hopes they will also start to invest more in the mid-level space. There is room for titles in the spaces between mobile and AAA blockbusters.

>> One hopes they will also start to invest more in the mid-level space. There is room for titles in the spaces between mobile and AAA blockbusters.

No there isn't - not as long as pre-owned exists - the majority of people buy mid-range games second-hand and save the pennies for the big games which crucifies the developers.

Gamezone

Gold Member
>> One hopes they will also start to invest more in the mid-level space. There is room for titles in the spaces between mobile and AAA blockbusters.

No there isn't - not as long as pre-owned exists - the majority of people buy mid-range games second-hand and save the pennies for the big games which crucifies the developers.

Yeah, right..... Can you prove that? Even if you buy a used copy, you get far from the full experience.

dottme

Given the amount of staff on the games, unlikely.

Perhaps marketing budgets though.

If they expect less sales, I don't expect them to spend as much money as before. Marketing budget is one way to do it. But also better control on their development time might be a good idea. Seeing FF15 in "development " for so much time is not helping.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Good that they'll have more reasonable expectations.

Scrawnton

I wish they would jump into the download games philosophy with their franchises. A Bravely Default game would be beautiful as a downloadable game on consoles. I think the market has proven that people are willing to buy games like that.

i really like the new CEO, trying to keep the DNA of the studios while also making money with mobile market. Unlike some other studios who are abandoning their console market & the history of their studio

Atleast he is not saying that Call of Duty is their role model for future projects/the Final Fantasy Series

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Given the amount of staff on the games, unlikely.

Perhaps marketing budgets though.

Correct.

Nintendo was able to decrease their marketing costs by 22% by using their resources more effectively - they cited social media and online ads, as oppose to TV Commercials in a Reuters report.

I'm thinking SE will do the same and we've seen such beginnings with their monthly reports.

KoopaTheCasual

i really like the new CEO, trying to keep the DNA of the studios while also making money with mobile market. Unlike some other studios who are abandoning their console market & the history of their studio

Atleast he is not saying that Call of Duty is their role model for future projects/the Final Fantasy Series
People were so hesitant to take Matsuda's recent thoughts to heart, when Lightning Returns bombed, and both FFX and Bravely Default outsold it. It was truly like he had emerged from a rock with his delayed revelations.

Glad to see that actually was indicative of a change in direction, and not just empty lip-service.

Rymuth

flying-pig.jpg

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I really like the direction the new CEO is taking.

He seems great.

I'm gonna have to dig out some past threads.

I really, really can't believe we're saying this about a Square CEO!

I've liked the guy since he personally traveled to Dontnod to give them his congratulations, especially after they came out saying many, many pubs liked their game, but lamented the female protagonist - and only Square OK'd it.

About time, probably because they decided to make Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox One Exclusive when the previous entry was on 5 different consoles, and that wasn't enough sales. Ironically I remember reading Tomb Raider sold more on the PS4 than the Xbox One.

Mendax

Depends on how much Microsoft gave them. Surely they think it was worth it.

do they? they might have thought it would be worth it. But with the way these install bases and sales number splits turned out I think it cannot be worth it.

I remember Namco-Bandai starting the same thing a year or two ago, and we've been seeing even more localizations than usual from them among seeing more games in general.

Would be cool to see this work our for S-E, too.

sn00zer

Im guessing a lot of Square Enix business modeling was based around Final Fantasy or DQ which have insanely high sales, and they just expected Eidos games to do the same.

Shiina

I thought these forecasts were just about pleasing investors until the next meeting where they issue a formal apology about disappointing them again, while promising more things for the future that are not going to happen either.

Thank God. It was really bad last gen when they were saying how they wanted to make FFXIII more like Call of Duty and it wasn't gonna be an RPG but kinda its own genre.

Geez, JRPGs should not have to compare themselves sales-wise to GTA or CoD.

Philippo

Increading console output (compared to previous gen), more open to fans and feedback, realistic sales expectations... SE slowly turning back being good.

Top Bottom