• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Bull promotion confirms The Taken King is Destiny’s next expansion

Quentyn

CGhSFR4UQAEi-jg.jpg:orig

According to an image posted by @AgriosEndendros, it appears a new Red Bull promotion has confirmed The Taken King as the name of the next expansion (or the ‘major expansion’) for Destiny.

The Taken King name first appeared when Bungie registered a trademark for it earlier in May. Activision has stated that this fall’s addition would be the biggest content addition to the game yet. They’ve haven’t announced official details regarding this as of now; we’re expecting to hear news on this at E3 in two weeks.

http://thedestinyblog.com/2015/06/0...ms-the-taken-king-as-destinys-next-expansion/

Orayn

Good stuff, hopefully there's a reveal coming in the near future. House of Wolves fixed a lot of problems and was very nice overall, so I'm feeling pretty optimistic about the future of Destiny.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Good stuff, hopefully there's a reveal coming in the near future. House of Wolves fixed a lot of problems and was very nice overall, so I'm feeling pretty optimistic about the future of Destiny.
Agreed

Kind of ragequit with Dark Below but House of Wolves fixed most of my issues with it. Hopefully we can get this quest without Red Bull.

iMax

This quest, if its completion doesn't yield a new spaceship for your character, Red Bull's PR people are missing a trick.

Orayn

Agreed

Kind of ragequit with Dark Below but House of Wolves fixed most of my issues with it. Hopefully we can get this quest without Red Bull.

People on the Destiny subreddit are speculating that it's probably just be a bounty for some world miniboss or something of that nature.

This is the $50 expansion that's going to be released on discs, right? (Reference to the leaked contract from way back when)

NastyBook

Sorry Bungie couldn't hear you. Did you say you want more currencies?
LMAO!

Yeah, just give me space battles, Bungie. With specific buffs for Vex/Hive/Fallen ships against their respective fleets. You got fucking Warframe clowning you guys in that regard, so get the lead out already.

I've recently played a few hours of Destiny, and man, it's such a GORGEOUS and well-playing game. I cringe everytime I see the salt and hate that the game gets on these forums.. it seems undeserved.

I wish it wasn't cross-gen, and that the levels were more open with more diverse vehicles, but the art direction and world building are top notch if you ask me. I hope that Bungie gets another chance (by the community) to prove themselves with a current-gen only Destiny 2.

GhaleonEB

This is the $50 expansion that's going to be released on discs, right? (Reference to the leaked contract from way back when)

This is likely the big expansion mentioned in that contract, but otherwise we'll have to wait for details. DLC plans had already changed since then and have likely changed again.

The icon and king nomenclature definitely point to a Hive focus, and the main story and TDB expansion hinted at Oryx several times, so I'm guessing he's the titular king. Interested to see where it's set; I'm expecting at least one new patrol zone/planet.

Also: horrible marketing. If Red Bull is getting something like this, we'll probably see content sliced and diced for retailers as well. Ug, Activision. :(

I thought there were only going to be 2 expansions... since there was a expansion pass... They really are going to milk this until it dies, these new expansions should be free since this game is content starved...

flkraven

This is likely the big expansion mentioned in that contract, but otherwise we'll have to wait for details. DLC plans had already changed since then and have likely changed again.

The icon and king nomenclature definitely point to a Hive focus, and the main story and TDB expansion hinted at Oryx several times, so I'm guessing he's the titular king. Interested to see where it's set; I'm expecting at least one new patrol zone/planet.

Also: horrible marketing. If Red Bull is getting something like this, we'll probably see content sliced and diced for retailers as well. Ug, Activision. :(

Bah. When will the Cabal get their moment to shine!!!!

Mikey Jr.

So this is gonna be at the Sony conf I'm guessing.

As much as most of us probably hate this stuff, Sony is really setting themselves up to dominate when Destiny 2 releases.

They probably want to try to get as many destiny customers under the Playstation umbrella so that they will naturally move to Destiny 2 on PS4 because thats the only way they can continue on with their characters.

Sotha_Sil

Bungie's love of generic names continues, I see.

Does anyone think this will get an "ultimate edition" bundle at some point with all the DLC?

So this is gonna be at the Sony conf I'm guessing.

As much as most of us probably hate this stuff, Sony is really setting themselves up to dominate when Destiny 2 releases.

They probably want to try to get as many destiny customers under the Playstation umbrella so that they will naturally move to Destiny 2 on PS4 because thats the only way they can continue on with their characters.

Yeah launch month numbers for Destiny 2 will be enormous. For as much flack as its gets Destiny is very popular and has shown great legs and a user base that keeps playing consistently

I really hope Bungie learns a lesson from how good the story missions were from HOW and takes their time with the Taken King to make it an awesome narrative.

I thought there were only going to be 2 expansions... since there was a expansion pass... They really are going to milk this until it dies, these new expansions should be free since this game is content starved...

what the hell? Milk this until it dies? the player base is clamoring for more content at every release, how is this not good business for Bungie?

More hive is disappointing. I'm ready for Cabal stuff and a new planet. Also new sub classes, and 6 person activities. Me and my friends got burned by this PoE stuff. Only 3 person fire teams. Wow.

Hopefully we still get a big game wide update with improvements before the next paid expansion.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I've recently played a few hours of Destiny, and man, it's such a GORGEOUS and well-playing game. I cringe everytime I see the salt and hate that the game gets on these forums.. it seems undeserved.

I wish it wasn't cross-gen, and that the levels were more open with more diverse vehicles, but the art direction and world building are top notch if you ask me. I hope that Bungie gets another chance (by the community) to prove themselves with a current-gen only Destiny 2.

I cringe everytime I see someone defending this game to death.

inthrall

My ten cents is that its a new shader in the Red Bull colours, maybe a custom emblem? Either way, it won't be available in my part of the world so I'l just have to get salty instead.

EDIT: They could easily add new content to earlier planets (like this place at 0:50 haven't had any love yet), but I would rather they moved onto newer places

More hive is disappointing. I'm ready for Cabal stuff and a new planet. Also new sub classes, and 6 person activities.

this.gif

Cabal is my favorite alien race. But I'd gladly take some Vex at this point even. More Venus. More Mars. I'm kinda... er... VERY burnt out on the Hive at this point.

And HoWs is how you do upgrades and storytelling and dialogue, so I hope that stuff continues in the expansion. After playing through the new DLC, I went back and began a new Titan and started the original "campaign" this weekend. Wow. I had forgotten just how bad the dialogue in the main game is, both written and performed. I can't imagine Peter Dinklage actually cashing his paychecks with a straight face.

"It's a whole Necropolis down here." -UGH, What?!?

"This should lead us to the grave. The world's grave. Not ours." -You have got to be kidding me!

"They broke the Bekenstein..." -NO! Just no! Stop.

LAA

Not surprised. Question for me is, I wonder if it will be free or paid. I would think it would make sense to have a "free big update" adding some story missions and etc etc. and then release another 2 dlcs, probably vex and cabal themes in another season pass.

I think the free update would make sure everyone gets on board Destiny again and maybe a way of "making it up" to the community who were disappointed by destiny, as I think theres still quite a lot of people who are willing to drop destiny or already have. I'm possibly in the dropping camp... I got the LE, so I got the season pass, so I've been playing for that... funnily enough I have been playing it most days (Just got a vex mythoclast today!), so definitely elements I enjoy in it, problem is for me it didn't meet my expectations at all day 1, there wasnt an epic story or campaign, and it was a shock to just see the replayability was just doing all the same missions/strikes/raids again to get better weapons to do the same things again but at higher levels. I don't know if I'll want to pay for that again, espicailly when it doesnt seem I really get any story from it.

I think Destiny is getting better with increasing it's variety with the likes of prison of elders and trials of osiris and more raids launching, reducing the reptition, or at least spreading the reptition over a larger area of content.

Top Bottom