• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it normal for an Xbox One to warp/melt a disc?

MarkusRJR

So I installed the Evil Within a few months ago and ended up just leaving the disc in the console (been playing Wii U and Xbox 360 instead). I haven't used my Xbox One for anything apart from watching a lot of YouTube, music streaming, and the occasional rental on Xbox Video. Today I take out the Evil Within disc to pop in Alien Isolation, only to find this:

hp1WaIl.jpg

The disc looks 10x worse than in that picture too. My phone camera is just too shitty to pick it up. I definitely remember the disc not being like that. I went back to all of my other games and they all look fine, thankfully. I've seen discs getting scratched by consoles, but never warped... Is this a thing now?

T.O.P

Banned
First time i'm hearing of this problem tbh

Google search shows nothing...might wanna contact support OP

synce

I don't think melting discs is an intended feature of the Xbox One entertainment system.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Unless I'm mistaken, the actual disc doesn't looked warped at all. I believe and again correct me if I'm wrong that effect was present on xbox 360 discs. Not sure if its related to copy protection or the material its made from.

I'd be interested to know too.

BloodR0se

I'm not noticing anything strange here (it could just be the picture) but blurays do usually look like that.

Is the disc still read by the drive?

Unless I'm mistaken, the actual disc doesn't looked warped at all. I believe and again correct me if I'm wrong that effect was present on xbox 360 discs. Not sure if its related to copy protection or the material its made from.

I'd be interested to know too.

Xbox One discs are blurays where as 360 used DVD. I believe the Xbox One blurays are standard though whereas the 360 DVD's weren't (especially the later XGD3 discs) and did look unusual on the bottom compared with a normal DVD disc.

s_mirage

Are you talking about the rippled looking reflections from the metal layer or something else I'm not seeing? If the former, are you sure that it didn't look like that before, because that's how a lot of blu rays look?

Krejlooc

Banned
I'm not noticing anything strange here (it could just be the picture) but blurays do usually look like that.

Is the disc still read by the drive?

I can't tell if he's confusing the wavy pattern that comes from a dual layered disc, or if he's referring to that weird dark spot in the corner that I can't tell if it's a reflection or not.

Kudo

My The Evil Within for PS4 looks like that too, other games are normal. Do they use some kind of special coating for TWE?
EDIT: Or not, just Oneechanbara looked normal. I assume it's the dual layer then?

I can't tell if he's confusing the wavy pattern that comes from a dual layered disc, or if he's referring to that weird dark spot in the corner that I can't tell if it's a reflection or not.

I think that is a reflection of OP's finger. Or some other bodypart.

Dachande

Yeah, I think the disc looks normal. I have plenty of discs with that "warped" kind of look on the underside, and I think that's just how they're made. You probably have others like it on other systems.

MarkusRJR

Are you talking about the rippled looking reflections from the metal layer or something else I'm not seeing? If the former, are you sure that it didn't look like that before, because that's how a lot of blu rays look?
I was pretty sure, but it has been a few months so I'm not 100% sure. Compared with my other discs to make sure I wasn't going crazy and it looks to be the only warped looking one, which is why I thought I should ask.

This is what I can't work out. The part on the top left looks like it could be a bend or a dent in the disc or something, but it could also be a reflection. That's what I thought OP was referring too until everyone else started talking about the wavy lines across the surface.

BloodR0se

That's a good point, I didn't actually notice those dark/shaded areas. I think those may be a reflection though.

But if the disc and drive still work then the disc isn't warped.

BloodR0se

Remember that Xbox have a reputation for using poor quality optical drives in their consoles and they have caused slight wear and tear to game discs over the years.

That's one of the reasons why the Japanese were so sour to the first Xbox, because it scratched game discs and the trade-in places wouldn't accept them.

Do you mean the way colors are reflected ?

It's normal for me. I'm using PS3 and I a find it normal.

Edit: OK.. Didn't notice the dark line. I thought it was a reflection of something or it's not ??

MarkusRJR

This is what I can't work out. The part on the top left looks like it could be a bend or a dent in the disc or something, but it could also be a reflection. That's what I thought OP was referring too until everyone else started talking about the wavy lines across the surface.

upper left corner, not bottom left. Close to the center. I'm fairly certain it's a reflection but I'm just making sure.

If it's the wavy pattern, then that's normal.

That's just a reflection of my room's light and my finger (not any other body part lol), the wavy pattern is what I'm confused about. Looks like this but way worse.

Krejlooc

Banned
That's just a reflection of my room's light and my finger (not any other body part lol), the wavy pattern is what I'm confused about.

then yeah, it's normal. That's a side effect of dual layering the disc. You just didn't notice it before. Check out the next Xbox One game you get before popping it in. Nothing to worry about.

big_z

its light reflecting off the micro pits of the disc that create a moiré effect. if you move the disc around the pattern will change and if you look in sunlight it looks perfectly smooth.

it is normal.

Manp

oww man, this was already shaping up to be one of those glorious "M$ ruined my life" threads and it's already over instead :(

MarkusRJR

then yeah, it's normal. That's a side effect of dual layering the disc. You just didn't notice it before. Check out the next Xbox One game you get before popping it in. Nothing to worry about.

Yeah, that's normal.

Edit: beaten

Phew, thanks. I tried googling and searching NeoGAF but all I could find was that one thread I posted above. I can't believe I don't own a single dual layer game beyond Evil Within. My Xbox One tends to run super hot and kind of expected the worst (since my old 360 used to destroy games).

oww man, this was already shaping up to be one of those glorious "M$ ruined my life" threads and it's already over instead :(
If only I had placed my Xbox on top of a wine cooler.

BloodR0se

My Xbox One tends to run super hot

Well that's a separate problem in of itself and I would look into that if I were you.

Part of the Xbox One's monstrous girth and form factor means that it generally runs much cooler than the PS4. The fans on mine barely make a sound most of the time.

Top Bottom