• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is the Sega Dreamcast so beloved?

kess

Even though they got ports, it was brain melting to see Rez and Shemnue II when they came out on the DC -- in the span of a couple of months!

BloodR0se

Because it was AWESOME!?

Why else. PSHH

Also...

500x_nights_saturn.jpg

That was never on it.

Sega's first-party output was outstanding for this console. Outstanding. One of the best first-party outputs on any console ever.

Capcom's third-party output was even better than that.

If you like a certain type of game (Japanese-developed platformers, shmups, and fighters), this console is maybe the best console ever to you. As it happens, I like all of those genres.

I also have lots of good memories playing CvS 2, MvC, MvC2, Last Blade 2, Fatal Fury: MotW, Power Stone, Power Stone 2, hell, even Plasma Sword with my buddies in college which only helps me love this console more.

For me it was the games. SEGA was at a creative high with their output on the DC. Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, Chu Chu Rocket, so many other gems. All of that admirable effort by SEGA, despite that the console was selling so poorly.

I always thought the VMU was super innovative. Not something I'd seen in any other console at the time. Wii U Gamepad is the closest we've gotten to that, but unlike the GamePad, you could actually take your VMU outside your house. I remember taking my Chao from Sonic Adventure with me to school.

Into

Romanticizing of what "could have been". WIth PS2, GameCube, Xbox there is no real "what if" but DC just died and Sega exited the console hardware business.

Dreamcast is the Kurt Cobain of consoles

Millenials: Who!?

SadGreenFrogFeelingOld.jpg

Alx

As someone who's fond of arcade games before any other genre, Dreamcast was the perfect console for me. Also Sega was going all out on creativity for their swan song. It's also the moment 3D games became "pretty enough". Saturn-PSX-N64 games were ugly, DC games were fine, and still are. No excessive pixellation or blur.

Even if it didn't last long, it was my best videogaming experience (I also had the perfect balance of free time and disposable income back then).

Mista

Banned
Because it introduced me to Shenmue. One of my all-time favorite games till this moment! It had other great games too. Sadly the great potential this console had gone to waste.

Neifirst

You really had to be there, but it's really hard to overstate how much better Soul Calibur looked than anything else at the time. It was also the last console to launch a year later in the U.S. than Japan, so we didn't have to wait months and months for the good games to arrive.

Piggus

Because people feel sorry for it? I don't think it would be viewed in such a positive way had Sega not pulled out. Some of their other systems followed a similar concept but aren't viewed in nearly the same way.

It had some great quirky games (I actually bought one a couple years ago just to play Shenmue and some others) but it never really stood much of a chance against the PS2. The fact that it had good arcade ports didn't matter to most consumers, especially since the arcades were quickly dying off by that point.

SMgamer83

Oh man I forgot the RPG's. Skies and Grandia II were some of my favorites, and I liked the Evolution series as a guilty pleasure even though I know they were bad lol.

Par Score

The brightest lights burn shortest.

It serves as a symbol of a bygone era, the headstone of one of gaming's early heavyweights, and is the home to some of the most unique and forward thinking titles ever released.

All this for a console with a ~2 year lifespan. The Dreamcast lasted, in total, roughly as long as the PS4 and Xbox One have to date. Imagine either one of those died today, and look at the sort of legacy either would leave, it would be as to nothing next to the stone-cold classics that graced the Dreamcast.

Celine

Because it's the last console by a once fairly big console manufacturer and the last console which relied heavily on arcade style games.

Pyrrhus

It was the last truly gamer-focused system. Systems after that were designed more to appeal to the mainstream because that's where the real money was.

Also: It was the full, final gasp of Sega's brand of creative expression before the series of events that brought them low and lead to the current reality where a capering British hobgoblin has stolen Sega's skin and assumed its identity to release nearly nothing but Sonic, Total War, and Football Manager.

Basically, it's the grave stone for one of gaming's golden eras as well as one of its greatest companies. That's why people love it. It's as much what it stood for as it is the library.

Codiox

Huge variety of unique games, introduction for many to online multiplayer, a memory card that could play mini games and added another level of interaction...but really, the games.

9R5yZzF.png
cFQoj7U.png

2kIvTGn.jpg
EV7dIjQ.jpg

1FrCjwb.png
oGBEOSY.jpg

tQxmxPU.jpg
MjIP1rX.jpg

Just seeing these covers makes me sweat. Some quality back there we will never see again.

The Dreamcast was very forward thinking and offered so many weird/quirky experiences that feel very much like some of the Indie stuff that we get today. Not to mention that PSO was the GOAT.

BloodR0se

It was also way ahead of it's time. It had internet connectivity out of the box and a memory card that could (theoretically) double as a mini-console in itself and be used independently.That and Shenmue have made it my favourite console of all time.

I personally hated the PS2 if I'm perfectly honest and even now I still think that it was extremely overrated. I mean, Sony are great at backing small developers on left field projects these days but not even now would they back something like Segagaga.

- Goofy/endearing design
- A couple new/ahead of its time features
- Solid exclusives
- Many quirky, outside-the-box games
- Great arcade ports
- Underdog in the console war
- Swansong of a company with tons of history/fans
- Killed in its prime

...yeah, any one of those alone would probably be cause to look back fondly. Add 'em all up and you've got an enduring nostalgia apocalypse.

It's the console where, more than any other console, SEGA just went for it. It's a completely unparalleled period of creativity from any console maker. Game after game after game that felt like nothing else that had come before it. Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio, Space Channel 5, Rez, Samba De Amigo, Seaman, Chu Chu Rocket, Shenmue, Phantasy Star Online, The Typing of the Dead, Dynamite Cop, Toy Commander, the list goes on. It has to be the most eclectic selection of first party games ever seen on a console. Even the standard stuff broke new ground, like the first major 3D Sonic games, and the incredible 2K sports games. Third party support led to some of the best arcade games of the time seeing outstanding ports, like Soul Calibur and Power Stone. It's also home to some of the best home versions of multiplatform games like Tony Hawk and Rayman 2.

And this was all in a span of around two years. It's incredible.

Enough time has passed that we can call Sony out for their utter bullshit tech demos without starting arguments now right?
Because I remember buying DC games retail at a game shop and being interrogated why I wasting my time on the DC when the PS2 was coming out in 6 months and had Toy Story level graphics

As a dreamcast fanboys back in the day, MGS2 and GT3 looked a generation ahead of anything on dreamcast Graphically. Dreamcast is one the most over rated systems of all time here on neogaf, it had a few great arcade ports, and sonic games which were fun for there time, that's about it.

In it's short lifetime the quality of the games that were released on the system was really damn high. It was the first console that you could connect online. The NFL 2K games were better than the shitty EA counterparts. All the games looked great. It was cheap, and it had a lot of potential that we never got to see because Sony basically killed it. All in all, I consider the Dreamcast to be my favorite console of all time.

You really had to be there, but it's really hard to overstate how much better Soul Calibur looked than anything else at the time. It was also the last console to launch a year later in the U.S. than Japan, so we didn't have to wait months and months for the good games to arrive.

I just popped in Soul Calibur the other day and it still looks great.

Soul Calibur and Shenmue have to be two of the best-aged games ever.

Marvel vs Capcom 2
Berserk: Guts Rage (Never thought I would ever play a Berserk game without importing it)
Two of the greatest sports games of all time in NBA 2K1 and NFL 2K1.
Power Stone
Project Justice
Sonic Adventure
Record of Lodoss War

It was a great system.

Dreamcast was a neat system - a little bit ahead of the time, a bit ambitious, but being built and pushed in the way that allowed it to receive a solid game library. Dreamcast revived Sega's reputation as a hardware manufacturer and was quite popular at the beginning, failed only because Sega just didn't have enough cash to compete with Sony's phenomenally-popular PS2.

In general, it was a unique system that got lucky with software but not with the timing. Its failure was the result of Sega's past fails, not then-current ones.

can't believe the sonic adventure games are so highly-regarded. it was the beginning of "press forward to finish" sonic games.

I feel like Dreamcast was the last pure gaming system. The thing launched with a gun, wheel and even a fishing rod. It had a launch lineup that hasn't ever been touched and brought online to the console gamer. It felt like Sega was doing everything it could to make the community happy and then we crapped all over it by bootlegging everything....not implying iam innocent here

As a dreamcast fanboys back in the day, MGS2 and GT3 looked a generation ahead of anything on dreamcast Graphically. Dreamcast is one the most over rated systems of all time here on neogaf, it had a few great arcade ports, and sonic games which were fun for there time, that's about it.

Apparently we can't yet.

Novocaine

Can you explain this please? Genuinely don't know what you mean, never had the arcade experience in Ireland. Why doesn't the PS2 do this?

Sega are responsible for a lot of the popular arcade games around at the time. Daytona, Die Hard etc. They also pulled other popular games like Marvel vs. Capcom and Ikaruga that the PS2 never had.

It was the last console that epitomized the play-at-home arcade experience.
This + it was the last Sega console. It was the end of an era. One of the biggest console manufacturers in video game history went out with a console that had a great library. People are bound to be nostalgic over it.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Back then? It was the arcade quality experience at home, as well as exclusives that were fantastic. Soul Calibur has only been bested by Halo as my favorite console launch title. Games like Powerstone, Project Justice and Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure are still best played on Dreamcast unless you have the actual arcade hardware. Great shooters like GigaWing and Zero Gunner 2 are again, hard to find outside the arcade. Shenmue and Elemental Gimmick Gear are good exclusive titles, and games like Typing of the Dead, Quake 3 Arena, and Samba de Amigo are still worth playing today.

Now? Potential. There's hardware freaks out there who are trying to make a production-worthy broadband adapter replacement, as well as a SD Card reader for storage. This would open up the Dreamcast for new online gaming!

Speaking of new gaming, have you SEEN Sturmwind?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zy2k_iwJDY

Journey

Banned
I know why I love the system (mostly for the memories I associate with receiving it as a gift) but I was always under the impression that people thought the system was trash thanks to the PS2 blowing it out of the water. I'm a bit surprised to see that, and this might be because time has passed since then, so many people really loved this system.

What are your theories on why this system is always praised online? Was it the games? The aesthetic? The VMU? That start up noise?

9699106a1c7bf4e0ccd5d9e25b2d6a3c090518e6.jpg

Sidenote: Please tell me someone else played Sonic Shuffle.

The bolded was pure hype imo. The PS2 didn't blow anything out of the water, in fact the initial PS2 games were really disappointing and it took a good year before the PS2 started kicking some ass. Dreamcast had AAA titles right at launch, Soul Calibur received numerous perfect 10s and the 2K sports series were excellent and imo better than Madden.

Graphics wise, games like Dead or Alive 2 and Soul Calibur looked every bit as good, if not better than Tekken Tag Tournament, which actually suffered from some pretty bad, or rather lack of AA, and even the revamped Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore wasn't that much of an upgrade, and in comparisons showed cleaner edges on the Dreamcast, Metropolis Street Racer demolished Ridge Racer V graphically, again the game suffered from jaggies. So it was neither power nor games demolishing anything from what I remember, it was more due to the hype, the sold potential and the DVD drive, which just like Blu-ray last gen, cemented the format.

Heck I even believe that if the Dreamcast was supported long term, visually it would still be capable of some sweet graphics that would have rivaled the PS2, and at a time where Nintendo had a more powerful GameCube, and the beast that was Xbox in terms of pure horsepower, the Dreamcast would have had a fair chance if Sega wasn't already strapped for cash after all the royal screw-ups.

Petrae

It was the last console that epitomized the play-at-home arcade experience.

Indeed. NFL Blitz 2000, Hydro Thunder, SoulCalibur, NBA Showtime, Virtua Tennis, and Crazy Taxi were about as close to the coin-ops as you could get without owning the actual cabinets... and, as a huge fan of arcade games, this was a HUGE draw for me.

Then you throw in Sonic Adventure, Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue, and the fantastic 2K Sports series on top of those? Yeah, the Dreamcast was pretty amazing... until the plug was unceremoniously pulled.

Top Bottom