• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is the Sega Dreamcast so beloved?

goldenpp72

Let's see..

Excellent graphics for the time.
VMU was fun and neat.
Standard online gaming for the first time on a console and it ran surprisingly well on dial up.
Revived Sonic (this was a big deal back then like it or not)
Brought in amazing arcade games that never would have saw proper console releases otherwise.
Tons of original new IP released that were excellent.
Ports of older console games that were enhanced to become definitive versions.
Basically revived Sega as a brand in the US for a time.

The Dreamcast was a perfect storm for a new console in my mind, it brought in online gaming experiences like PSO, Quake, Unreal, as well as cute novelty download things in games like Sonic to a demographic that had likely not experienced them. It brought in a new level of creativity that has never been replicated again, and for all it accomplished, it did it all in just the span of a couple years. I truly love this system and consider it in the top 5 consoles ever made despite such a short life span. Here is a list of all the games I own on it, most of them are quite good with just some being on the sketchy but niche side.

Alien Front Online
Armada
Bangai-O
Blue Stinger
Bomberman online
Bust a Move 4
Cannon Spike
Capcom Vs SNK
Chu Chu Rocket
Confidential Mission
Crazy Taxi
Crazy Taxi 2
D2
Daytona USA
Dead or Alive 2
Dino Crisis
Dynamite Cop!
Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future
EGG: Elemental Gimmick Gear
Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves
Fighting Force 2
Floigan Bros. Episode 1
Frogger 2
Fur Fighters
Giga Wing
Giga Wing 2
Grandia II
Grand Theft Auto 2
Gunbird 2
Heavy Metal: Geomatrix
The House of the Dead 2
Hydro Thunder
Illbleed
Jet Grind Radio
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Kao The Kangaroo
The King of Fighters Dream Match 1999
The King of Fighters Evolution
The Last Blade 2: Heart of the Samurai
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Looney Tunes Space Race
Maken X
Mars Matrix
Marvel Vs Capcom
Marvel Vs Capcom 2
MDK2
Metroipolis Street Racer
Mortal Kombat Gold
Mr. Driller
Ooga Booga
Outtrigger
Phantasy Star Online
Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2
Plasma Sword
Powerstone
Powerstone 2
Project Justice
Psychic Force 2012
Quake 3
Rayman 2
Record of Lodoss War
Red Dog: Superior Fire Power
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Re-Volt
Samba De Amigo
Seaman
Sega GT
Sega Rally 2 Championship
Sega Smash Pack
Sega Swirl (Web Browser 2.0)
Shadow Man
Shenmue
Soldier of Fortune
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Shuffle
Soul Calibur
Space Channel 5
Spawn: In the Demon's Hand
Speed Devils
Speed Devils: Online Racing
Spider-Man
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer
Street fighter III: Double Impact
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Super Magnetic Neo
Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage
Tech Romancer
The Next Tetris Online
Time Stalkers
Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation
Tomb Raider: Chronicles
Tony Hawk Pro Skater
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
Toy Commander
The Typing of the Dead
Skies of Arcadia
Unreal Tournament
Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense
Virtua Fighter 3tb
Virtual-On: Oratorio Tangram
Wetrix
Worms Armageddon
Worms World Party
Zombie Revenge

Truly incredible variety in my mind, it was the last hope for quirky fun Japanese/arcade style games. I'll always remember it fondly, in fact I just played some rounds of confidential mission on my reclaimed tube tv downstairs last night :)

It seemed like the last hurrah of a formerly powerful hardware company, and they didn't just peter out and die: they went out HUGE.

The games, the online multiplayer that actually worked for a console, bringing the arcade home for the last time (both the Dreamcast and arcades essentially went kaput at this time).

It is personal for me for many reasons but that's my "objective" view of it.

Oh, and that $200 price tag? Freaking amazing for that time.

This sums it up nicely. Still the best launch lineup in my opinion. So many genres represented on day 1.

mtodavk

Because that thing had some great games on it, not to mention all of the awesome arcade ports as well.

It was the first system to have online functionality, although that was a little ahead of its time...

JordanN

Banned
As a dreamcast fanboys back in the day, MGS2 and GT3 looked a generation ahead of anything on dreamcast Graphically. Dreamcast is one the most over rated systems of all time here on neogaf, it had a few great arcade ports, and sonic games which were fun for there time, that's about it.
This.

I use to glamorize the Dreamcast and there were some things it did right. But all the "it was so much better than PS2" is rose tinted goggles.

GTA 3 demolished the Dreamcast and pretty much every other game that would show up on PS2 and not the DC.

Rymuth

TD7AIU.gif

Like a child that dies early, I think the fact that it burned hot for a while and then was gone left a stronger impression than it would've otherwise.

kunonabi

You really had to be there, but it's really hard to overstate how much better Soul Calibur looked than anything else at the time. It was also the last console to launch a year later in the U.S. than Japan, so we didn't have to wait months and months for the good games to arrive.
For my money the U.S dreamcast launch lineup is the best console launch lineup of all time.

How did that double post?
And then erase my original post..

In short i fucking loved it.
Dreamcast the snes the ps2 and the first xbox are for me the greatest consoles ever made, and the ps4 is shaping up nicely so far.

kess

Late 2000 early 2001 was ridiculous, not even mentioning dozens of other great games

SF III: Third Strike
Samba De Amigo
Quake III
Jet Grind Radio
F355 Challenge
D2
NFL and NBA 2K1
Skies of Arcadia
Capcom vs SNK
Shenmue
Cannon Spike
Last Blade 2
Gunbird 2
Test Drive Le Mans
Virtua Tennis
Metropolis Street Racer
Napple Tale
Guilty Gear X
Ecco the Dolphin
Dead or Alive 2
Grandia 2
Phantasy Star Online
Daytona USA

i mean hohh my godd

MetalSlug

It had so many great games in such a small amount of time.

Games that I like are:

• Toy Commander
  • Fur Fighters
  • Headhunter
  • Resident Evil : Code Veronica
  • Power Stone
  • Power Stone 2
  • Crazy Taxi
  • Crazy Taxi 2
  • Sonic Adventure
  • Sonic Adventure 2
  • Jet Set Radio
  • Metropolis Street Racer
  • Re-Volt
  • The House of the Dead 2
  • Soul Calibur

As others have mentioned, it was a true at home arcade experience that you didn't have to shell out big big big bucks for. Fighting games, shooters of ALL varieties, online games, wacky games, and more.

My calloused thumbs thank my years of playing Guilty Gear, Street Fighter 3 (trilogy), Last Blade, Capcom vs Snk 2, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Garou, King of Fighters, etc...When the majority of these games hit PSP I was in heaven thanks to an almost identical button layout (shoulder buttons in place of actual triggers, far better imo)

Not to mention that GD-ROM! Good lawd did that thing load fast...sometimes.

Every game/gaming product will have fans who love it (yes, even big rigs). If the Wii U was the last console Nintendo ever made, it would become a cult classic and be praised for years to come, no matter how many people hate it now or could care less about the system.

The people who didn't support the dreamcast don't express their apathy anymore because the dreamcast is irrelevant to them. Those who passionately enjoyed the system far outnumber the amount of detractors who actually have the energy to conjure those opinions back from over a decade in the past.

Neither those who loved the Dreamcast or those who did not are wrong, they just have different priorities.

Zoolader

It had awesome games to boot and was a true graphical leap over the previous gen. The ps2 release was a major letdown in that comparison.

Outrun

I loved the DC because it was a fine piece of kit that was in many ways ahead of its time.

It had great games. Sega did nothing wrong.

However, it died because of the sins of its father, the Saturn, who I loved also.

People who never cared about it (the majority of gamers) don't bother commenting on it so you only see positive comments. Also, it had a short lifespan and was the last Sega console, which give it more nostalgic allure.

I loved mine, but then again I have only owned two consoles that I didn't particularly like (N64 and Jaguar)

DeVeAn

For me it was the last console to have pure video game feel. The passion that the creators/ developers had came through. I love the console. So unique, ahead of its time and tons of games.

Soul Calibur + VGA Box is still the most impressive leap forward. That and 2 Ascii sticks was a truly amazing experience.

Playing Dreamcast games on a 21" VGA monitor was glorious. The PS2 was great, but it still wasn't that impressive after experiencing the crisp visuals of the Dreamcast VGA Box.

Sakura

Nostalgia for me. Every time I hear that Dreamcast sound when you boot it up... Just reminds me of my childhood which has long since passed.

This.

I use to glamorize the Dreamcast and it did do some things right. But all the "it beat out PS2 in the begining" is annoying crock.

GTA 3 demolished the Dreamcast and pretty much every other game that would show up on PS2 and not the DC.

Lol as kid I used to go online and defend the dreamcast graphics from PS2 fanboys calling it trash, but after seeing the MGS2 my jaw it the floor so hard, I remember it looking like cgi for its time, people really do underestimate how powerful the PS2 was, and don't give it enough credit.

-One of the first consoles to use online well and allow internet browsing with quality
-It had a lot of great arcade games ported to it
-It has a handful of unique games only on Dreamcast (at the time) like code veronica, PSO, and exclusives like Shenmue 1.
-It has VGA support, no other console at the time or for a long time after had that kind of quality output.
-It wasn't that expensive at least compared to the UK ps2 and Xbox launch prices.
-SEGA put a lot of love into it for the time it was alive.
-Planet Ring.
-Homebrew was pretty much possible without mods, Quake 1 was ported to Dreamcast in the super early days for everyone to download and burn to cd.
-The VMU was amazing, it was a tiny gameboy and you could take it with you and play on the move, you could battle your Chao with someone else by connecting them together and play Tetris & Snake via VMU homebrew., the VMU was also a tiny personal screen on your controller and used in a few games to display hud info.

For me it was finally the SEGA I remembered back when I had a genesis. It had a cool system and a great selection of games. Saturn era I pretty much just played psx. At the time soul calibur/ nfl 2k on our demo tv at babbages would just get people to stop and stare. Some bought systems but as the PS2 launch neared more and more people were "just going to wait for the ps2". Not having electronic arts on board + ps2 being everyone's first DVD player. Really put it over. I know I got a ps2 also because I didn't have a DVD player. In fact
when it wasn't playing ssx it pretty much just played the matrix DVD for awhile lol.

balohna

It was a great console for exclusives and nicer looking ports of PS1 games. It's kind of not worth going back to though if you don't already own one, as most of the good exclusives have since been released elsewhere. It can be cool to play stuff on original hardware, though.

Soul Calibur is the GOAT, IMO.

openrob

The last console which felt like a console.

This is really it. You can almost visualise it with s cartridge slot.
As someone else mentioned the GC also fit that role. It also had great games and came at the height of Japanese devs, before all these westerners started getting the spotlight with the rise of gritty fps, GTA, etc. Just these quirky little boxes that felt foreign.

It's also very similar to the Wii U.
Pure gaming machine, amazing 1st party line up, heavy Japanese dev content doing unique things with unique hardware (oh and a screen on the controller). Both were made by a company solely focused on video games, and had their own mascot!

The main reason is Shenmue though.

Pimpbaa

I think the Dreamcast has favorable nostalgia because it was among the last of the pure gaming consoles (along with GameCube). Nowadays consoles are movie players and video call machines and they happen to play games too. The Dreamcast also had a lot of features that were ahead of its time such as being the first system to ship with a modem in the box and a gaming network.

What a load of bullshit. Games are still the focus of consoles. About the only console this would be even remotely true is the xb1 but even that is a stretch. Also being able to play movies or any other secondary functions of consoles has no bearing over the quality of a games on a system.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
It has something for everyone
Excellent library
Innovative features
Still fun for edgy randos to take a shit on, even after all these years

Had some legitimately great games, home to some perfect Sega arcade ports (never achieved before), was a major innovator with online/VMU etc. and died young. Great combination for a beloved/cult reputation.

Because it was AWESOME!?

Why else. PSHH

Also...

500x_nights_saturn.jpg

lol this is the second time in two days where someone has confused sega's systems (prior poster recommended OP play Burning Rangers on his Sega CD). Is there like a contingent of posters that just want to get in on the Sega love but have not actually played these old systems? If so... that's kind of adorable.

kunonabi

Soul Calibur + VGA Box is still the most impressive leap forward. That and 2 Ascii sticks was a truly amazing experience.

Playing Dreamcast games on a 21" VGA monitor was glorious. The PS2 was great, but it still wasn't that impressive after experiencing the crisp visuals of the Dreamcast VGA Box.

Never had a vga box growing up but going back and playing those games now I'm still frequently impressed how good some of those games look. I have a crt monitor just for my DC and its totally worth it.

Coxswain

The Dreamcast was sort of the last-bastion for full-bore arcade-styled games on consoles, during the transition period where those arcade-styled games were being supplanted by the slower, more sit-down style of console game that characterized the next generation and a half (or so).

It's roughly analogous to what's going on now with the Wii U sort of being a holdout for gameplay-first, non-cinematic (non-downloadable, full-budget) console games, in a time when those are being supplanted by cinematic, technical-spectacle modern AAA games.

Never had a DC but if SEGA rereleased it with HD TV/monitor support I'd jump at the chance.

As old cart based 25 year old+ 8/16bit consoles cease to funtion, new consoles are available to buy even if its emulated, shame it's different for disk based consoles.

kess

There used to be a site with animations for the VMU, but I don't know what happened to all that. It was great to be able to download saves directly onto the VMU.

Petrae

For my money the U.S dreamcast launch lineup is the best console launch lineup of all time.

I dropped more than $700 in cash and store credit on the Deeamcast, games, and accessories on 9/9/99.

Sonic Adventure
SoulCalibur
Air Force Delta
NFL Blitz 2000
Hydro Thunder
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
Mortal Kombat Gold
NFL 2K
Tokyo Extreme Racer

I know I overdid it, and a couple of the games weren't so hot, but I was excited to go all-in on the console at the time. The only thing that sucked was that, as a FuncoLand store manager back then, I had to work all day on 9/9 and didn't get much time with the console that day.

I personally enjoyed the quality and diversity of the games available on Dreamcast. Tons of games, some great, a lot of good, and a few duds. And they were all providing different and new experiences. Arguably had the best first year of games any console has seen. Or was it the second year? Can't remember.

Because it had a lot of great games. For me, it was like having a versatile arcade machine in my house. The racing games alone...

So good. I fucking love the Dreamcast. The best piece of hardware Sega ever released.

Vysetron

Neo Member
Skies of Arcadia! Power Stone! Chu Chu Rocket! Crazy Taxi! Jet Set Radio! All the fighting games!

Loads of other stuff that I can't think of right now!

Excitement!

Pejo

Great games, cool controller functionality, arcade feel. Lots of good memories with that system.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
It's my favorite or second favorite system of all time. Yeah a lot of the games have been ported, but a ton of great ones haven't (Cosmic fucking Smash, Cannon Spike, Powerstone, Project Justice, Samba de Amigo ver. 2000, et al). I have SO many good memories from those first few years, which probably helps color my view of it. But man, I even think back fondly to my hands getting cramps from playing Crazy Taxi on that controller.

Dreamcast, I love you.

Admit that Sonys PS2 tech demos were pure horseshit and that the PS2 did not have toy Story level graphics.

I don't remember the tech demos, but PS2 was significantly more powerful then dreamcast, look I was such a dreamcast fanboy back in the day that I wouldn't even buy a PS2 cause it killed the dreamcast. I bought an xbox, and PS2 games still looked impressive to me, where as dreamast looked a generation behind cause it couldn't do proper lighting and the games were very low poly.

Jarnet87

MvC2

The PS2 port is a sick joke. I spit on it.

Only time I've ever been floored by graphics was the first time I saw NFL 2k.

krossj

I never played any of the arcade versions so a lot of the games were just very creative in a different way. Most consoles have a better collection and breadth of great games but a lot of the games just felt like very good original ideas taken forward.

Plus PSO was beautiful.

Top Bottom