• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon interview with Reggie Fils-Aime: Iwata did not apologize; We make great games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnilres

Interview here

Reggie on E3 and reactions
"It was not an apology. It was not a statement about the content we're showing, essentially it was an 'I hear you' message. Mr. Iwata is in Japan and what he's trying to do is help explain to consumers in Japan what's going on at E3. The correct translation of his message was: 'Thank you for your feedback. We hear you and we are committed to continuing to meet your expectations,' was essentially his message.

(Concerning the reaction to Metroid Prime: Federation Force) One of the things I find interesting is that if you look at E3 historically for Nintendo, typically what happens is a press briefing happens or our digital event happens and then over the course of the next couple of days people see the games get to play the games and the appreciation and understanding of what we're doing increases over those three days and continues to build into the holidays.

Splatoon is a game that people are loving right now, but if you rewind to E3 last year, Splatoon was being viewed as, 'Yes, it's innovative and it's different, but the controls are a little hard and I don't understand the mechanic of turning into a squid and going through the ink.' There were all of these complaints. But now you look at the finished product and the satisfaction is huge. For us, our goal is to make sure we announce the content, help people understand the content, but most importantly get hands on with the games. I haven't heard the feedback (for this year's Best Buy demonstrations), but I think the feedback is going to be quite positive because what we do is make great games and they show well and they really lead to consumer excitement."

Didn't see thread, thought it was thread worthy because it's a more concrete response to reactions.

BY2K

Membero Americo
He's not exactly wrong about the second point, but Jesus Christ that first paragraph. The balls on this guy. Feels like a "core gamers have Animal Crossing Wii" repeat of E3 2008.

... Splatoon's reception was almost immediately the exact opposite of Federation Force's. No clue why that comparison was made.

Gravidee

I don't think you can really compare reactions to Splatoon's first unveiling to that Federation Force. Splatoon for the most part was unexpectedly met with open arms. FF on the other hand is the exact opposite, vigorously so. Furthermore, Splatoon was a new property, where people didn't really know what to expect. FF comes from a well known franchise with a very starved fanbase.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Is he really comparing the reaction to Federation Force to the reaction to Splatoon last year?

That's not even close to comparable...

He's literally comparing the reactions to Splatoon last year to the reactions towards Federation Force this year and claiming they're similar.

Reggie, I don't think I can take you anymore. Good god.

Fireblend

Banned
if you rewind to E3 last year, Splatoon was being viewed as, 'Yes, it's innovative and it's different, but the controls are a little hard and I don't understand the mechanic of turning into a squid and going through the ink.'

I love Reggie, but this is hilarious. Literally no one was saying that. Splatoon was incredibly well received and a primary reason for Nintendo and the Treehouse's success last year.

Gnilres

... Splatoon's reception was almost immediately the exact opposite of Federation Force's. No clue why that comparison was made.

My concerns too. I know they don't want to admit they're screwed up, but don't outright lie about the reactions you got.

Jarate

Banned
who the fuck was upset when splatoon was announced. People might have been confused by how the game workeed, but no one was upset by it

This damage control by Reggie

Toxi

Banned
Because otherwise they'd have to acknowledge that most people will likely continue to hate Federation Force.

I remember tons of love for Splatoon from day one. Reggie has been on fire with bullshit damage control today. Why does he bother lying to the very audience of people who would actually recognize that he is lying?

Neiteio

What if Iwata is not really in charge and is just a puppet for... wait a second...

satoru-iwata-puppet.jpg

Hatchtag

Banned
I don't think he's addressing the issue people are having: People don't think what they showed looked bad. People think the NX is going to be replacing the Wii U in late 2016 because of the lack of titles shown for the Wii U in 2016. And given how soon that is, people are pissed off about that. It's obvious he's not going to address this, either, because addressing it would just confirm it.

He's right about the Best Buy thing though. Mario Maker and Triforce Heroes were a fucking blast and are definitely going to be day one purchases for me.

DjRalford

Reggie on drugs?

Splatoon was praised to the hilt by almost all last E3, the metroid game had people barfing all over it from announcment.

He's right about the part that when people actually get to play the games that they admit "hey, these are actually fun and cool".

It happens every "bad" Nintendo E3.

He's also right about Iwata, that wasn't an apology, it was your typical "we take your opinions to heart for the future" spiel.

Chaos17

He is totally right about Splatoon, did you guys forget the shit storm about no voice chat in Splatton ? That's one of the complain he is talking about.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Geoff Keighley is going to have a field day with Reggie later this year. Brace yourself, Reg.

Brace yourself.

He's right about the part that when people actually get to play the games that they admit "hey, these are actually fun and cool".

It happens every "bad" Nintendo E3.

He's also right about Iwata, that wasn't an apology, it was your typical "we take your opinions to heart for the future" spiel.

Except 2008. Wii Music never got that. :p

BY2K

Membero Americo
I do hope he made sure with Iwata that's actually what he meant because he's gonna be pissed if he sees this.

He is totally right about Splatoon, did you guys forget the shit storm about no voice chat in Splatton ? That's one of the complain he is talking about.

How is this related? We didn't find out about the lack of voice chat until this year. Splatoon was very well received last E3, and no amount of revisionism is going to change reality. Find me a Splatoon video that has 35k dislikes.

EDIT:

PGxOR9v.png

Toxi

Banned
Yeah remember E3 last year how the main thing people were talking about for splatoon was no voice chat? Remember how everyone hated Splatoon and any video on it had 10 dislikes for every like?

Actually, that's not what happened and you're just regurgitating Reggie's bullshit.

BuggyMike

I know he's a PR guy but Jesus its so irritating hearing him speak. I wish he could just be real for once, honestly take into account what gamers are saying a respond to the tough interview questions like he's listening to the reception, instead its always some kind of spin to turn everything into a positive. It does Nintendo no favors because no one likes that shit, if anything people seem to like an honest approach and actual positive changes.

Kriken

That Splatoon argument is so dumb, go back and see the reception for the e3 video of Splatoon and see the reception for the Federation Force video

Hungrybox was correct when he called this man a fraud. I'm so sick of him.

I wish I could say this is a joke post, but knowing you, it wouldn't surprise me that you take WWE style trash talk about video games as commentary on his abilities as a COO

CronoShot

He's not completely wrong but this comes out as... slightly arrogant =/.

Slightly?

He's seriously responding to the hate Federation Force is getting by saying "You guys just don't get it."

Not to mention the reaction to Splatoon being literally exactly the opposite of what he's saying.

Nintendo is so completely tone deaf, it's absurd.

bachikarn

Splatoon was not negatively received when it was announced.

yeah, I don't really remember that either.

I honestly don't know what Nintendo looks at when they gauge market reaction. Wherever they look, I think there is a lot of evidence that suggests it is the wrong place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom