• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon interview with Reggie Fils-Aime: Iwata did not apologize; We make great games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crayolan

Are you seriously trying to take back an apology for a lackluster showing? Seriously?

Jesus christ Reggie what are you doing?

Toxi

Banned
What's-wrong-with-you?.gif
Seriously people, chill.

I don't know why should they apology in the first place. They're grown up business people.
What do you expect him to say? "Yeah, our games suck! Thanks for pointing that out internet people! I'm going to suicide now, please undertand."
If he doesn't have anything smart to say, nothing at all.

diaspora

Seriously people, chill.

I don't know why should they apology in the first place. They're grown up business people.
What do you expect him to say? "Yeah, our games suck! Thanks for pointing that out internet people! I'm going to suicide now, please undertand."

Iwata said they're listening to feedback and hope to use the feedback to have a better showing next year. That was fine, good even, they could have left it at that. But no.

Malus

He is totally right about Splatoon, did you guys forget the shit storm about no voice chat in Splatton ? That's one of the complain he is talking about.

That's still a talking point. But the rest of the game turned out great so the reception is overall positive.

Reggie's right: Iwata's message wasn't an apology. Context specific to Japan (late event time) was omitted due to the character limit. "Continuing" wasn't used, but the desire to meet more peoples' expectations was. I therefore stand by my translation. One way I'd personally suggest to do this is to end region-locking so that more people will have access to games on Nintendo systems.

Whenever I hear Yoshida talk I hear someone who is genuine and seems to value people's opinions. Reggie comes across as really fake and insincere. Does he still have a lot of goodwill or are people finally starting to tire of his spin?

HardRojo

Comparing Splatoon's reveal (and lying) to this new "Metroid Prime" game... you're just making the situation worse, Reggie.

LaneDS

Seriously people, chill.

There's something in between saying "we suck" and "we're great" where being the slightest bit humble or realistic can happen, and I know there are companies out there that have the backbone to own up to things (even in a positive light) and still go about conducting successful business. Straight up being delusional to your fanbase is neither welcome nor necessary, and Reggie has a long-standing history of doing this.

Pizza

This is baffling. Why does Iwata has to apologize? Why is the main PR guy of Nintendo explaining things? People nowadays are so self-entitled .

New flash: Nintendo doesn't owe you anything. If you got "disappointed" by the Digital Event, it is you own fault. Take some responsibility for once, people.

It's only video games.

Yeah but they didn't announce the games in the way these people wanted! These people had very specific criteria for Nintendo and since Sony already "won e3" Nintendo had to start giving out Wii U's for free and announce tons of triple A games for their not-horribly-successful console when they already have said they have a new one coming out.

That's not the metroid prime these people wanted so let's make a 10,000 person petition to just keep it from coming out.

I'm let down. therefore I'm angry. Let's tell Nintendo they suck ass because how dare they make games I'm not interested in.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Never understood apologist thinking.

They do owe fans/consumers things when in the wrong, for without said fans/consumers, they would cease to exist.

Especially if you want them to keep investing in you, you may want to show them something worth investing in.

Sounds like we can now call them 'Arrogant Nintendo', no?

MilesTeg

Banned
He killed my dog!

Yup. Reggie is a PR mouthpiece so whatever he says is fine. It doesn't even matter. As you clearly imply, he has no credibility as he is paid to make things look good. Case closed I guess. No further insight from the community here at neogaf is needed because it's just a paid liar and people are overreacting.

wilflare

Iwata does damage control - It was effective!
-Gamers are unhappy but accept the apology-

Reggie is confused!
Reggie uses Undo-Wata!
-Gamers are enraged-

remember the really angry initial reactions to twilight princess, kid icarus uprising and mega man in smash

federation force is just like that

evanmisha

Reggie's right: Iwata's message wasn't an apology. Context specific to Japan (late event time) was omitted due to the character limit. "Continuing" wasn't used, but the desire to meet more peoples' expectations was. I therefore stand by my translation. One way I'd personally suggest to do this is to end region-locking so that more people will have access to games on Nintendo systems.

Reggie would be proud of your godlike spin.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Yup. Reggie is a PR mouthpiece so whatever he says is fine. It doesn't even matter. As you clearly imply, he has no credibility as he is paid to make things look good. Case closed I guess. No further insight from the community here at neogaf is needed because it's just a paid liar and people are overreacting.

Miles pls

It's a joke between me and Vena.

Best Regards

This is baffling. Why does Iwata has to apologize? Why is the main PR guy of Nintendo explaining things? People nowadays are so self-entitled .

LOL. That part had me on the floor.

I'm not sure which premise I enjoy more, that Reggie is just a PR guy (which is maybe kind of a little true), or that having a role in PR should disqualify you from "explaining things".

Neff

I don't understand Federation Force. I'll admit, I don't know how it plays, but I'm not sure I want to. I think it looks ugly and simplistic even for a 3DS game. The Metroid Soccer tournament at the NWC didn't look terribly fun.

I couldn't fire any of these criticisms at Splatoon. I wasn't thrilled with it, but I was impressed and curious.

I'm not part of the Federation Force witch hunt by any means, but the comparison isn't a good one.

"I haven't heard the feedback (for this year's Best Buy demonstrations), but I think the feedback is going to be quite positive because what we do is make great games and they show well and they really lead to consumer excitement."

But Paper Mario: Sticker Star was not a great game. :( Paper Mario: TTYD was but not Sticker Star. You make some great games and you make some not great games.

Afrocious

Reggie sure didn't pick the wisest words. The comparison to Splatoon's initial impressions is too off-base.

It's kinda funny how all this would've been avoided if Federation Forces didn't have Metroid Prime in the title. Nintendo fucked up big time considering their track record as a company regarding the waning trust gamers have for them, and the state of the Metroid series after Other M.

AmyS

Regardless of what Iwata did or did not say, regardless of translations, clearly, Nintendo got the message. People felt their digital event just sucked, and indeed it did. But It doesn't really matter.

Next year, and in 2017, Nintendo needs to come out SWINGING. Not necessarily at E3 (that can't hurt either) but their own event. Sony did not even show the PS4 console at PlayStation Meeting 2013 in NYC. Yet they started the PS4's momentum right then and there, carried it though E3 2013, upto and beyond launch, never slowing down. They had their best E3 ever a couple days ago. That's how you reveal and launch a console and then maintain its momentum.

And don't tell me Nintendo can't compete in hardware. They can. Neither PS4 nor Xbox One were particularly powerful consoles when they launched in 2013. Nintendo simply does not seem to have the will to compete.

Fj0823

What I don't get is Nintendo's reasoning for trying to pass this guy and Iwata as some sort of "beloved character" like with those cringeworthy puppets. They're just suits.

On topic. His spin technique is amazing.

Sami+

god the fucking arrogance from this company is so obnoxious

have some humility and be open with your fans - why build this wall?

Bishop89

Nintendo being arrogant in the position they're at... How rich.

They truly are living in their own bubble where they believe they are in competition with no one

Mr_Moogle

What planet is Reggie living on? Splatoon was very well recieved at E3.

Seriously every year that goes by, Reggie becomes more and more unlikable.

Splatoons reaction wasn't negative. And if you have a history of giving off bad first impression of games that later turn out to be good....shouldn't you reflect on why your marketing of the products is so poor? Maybe if you spent more demoing the games in the Digital event like...using the treehouse then your games would go over better? You already chose to not do a live show, why are you being even more limiting in your showing of games in the digital event?

Crazy thought I know. But hey Nintendo has amiibos so they're good.

They truly are living in their own bubble where they believe they are in competition with no one

I don't really get the impression that they're trying to be arrogant. They're in a very awkward position right now. They're clearly moving games over to the NX, but they can't admit that right now because they've still got Wii U games to sell. So it puts them in a very bad PR position, as their interviews are showing.

Fj0823

This too.
They genuinely believe the PS4/X1 is another market and not a competitor kicking their asses. Hard.

This too.
They genuinely believe the PS4/X1 is another market and not a competitor kicking their asses. Hard.
To be fair that was a totally valid viewpoint back during most of the Wii-era where most of their sales were driven by non-gamers totally unattracted to the 360/PS3.

Obviously that led to having to awkwardly cater to that market after a generation of inexperience and the situation they're in now though.

Mr_Moogle

What I don't get is Nintendo's reasoning for trying to pass this guy and Iwata as some sort of "beloved character" like with those cringeworthy puppets. They're just suits.

On topic. His spin technique is amazing.

It's not really spin if everybody can see straight through the bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom