• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon interview with Reggie Fils-Aime: Iwata did not apologize; We make great games

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Reggie usually says stupid PR things. But this is on a totally different level. It would have been better to leave it alone. In the end the things were starting to cool down (acceptance for Wii U's death, a nice stream from Treehouse yesterday, great FAST Racing Neo show etc.).

This action now, to re-open the discussion and bring it again as a main topic is as stupid as the Digital Event structure. I'm convinced now that Reggie was the one that approved the way Digital Event was made. It's on the same level of stupidity.

At least with Iwata's comment there was a hope that they understand. :(

Mononoke

Banned
I think Mario 3D World would of been a better example. At the time everyone wanted Galaxy 3 like how we have now where people wanted a new Wii U Prime. Then more info on 3D World came along and people were nuts for it.

Oops looks like I'm late to the party.

I mean, this doesn't really address the issues people had with the Direct. It's certainly possible that for some titles, once more info is out and people play it, they will come to like it. But that really doesn't adress a lot of the issues people had with this Direct and his excuse is completely ignoring most of the complaints. But okay. Let's point towards 3D World and talk about how later on people came to like it.

Edit: to be fair he was addressing people being upset over specific titles.

Toxi

Banned
Now go and look at the posts for Metroid Federation Fucks or whatever it is. Might notice a difference.
I have no idea what you're talking about, this is clearly the same sort of response.

Not like this....not like this....

METROID WHAT?!

FUCK YOU NINTENDO

NOT LIEK THIS NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

New Metroid Prime guys!

:(

*sigh* this is a sad sigh

fuck everything

nintendo you failed me

Well this kills my vibe. Completely. Looks bad.

GOD DAMN IT NINTENDO

Holy shit, kiddie metroid
just what we all wanted

LOL

METROID'S BACK... IN POG FORM

YOU GOT YOUR METROID GAME BOYZ

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NINTENDO IS DONE

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT

Jesus christ. This is the metroid game. Nintendo doesn't get it at all.

Nintendo: you are ASSHOLES.

Metroid game, looks like crap. Ha ha ha.

HAHAHHAHA

FUCK THEM

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT METROID WHAT DID THEY DO TO YOU

WHAT have you DONE with Metroid?!

God. So sad.

LOL.

Oh God, Nintendo. Please. Please.

OMG WHAT IS THIS UGLY METROID THING DONT DO THIS
That pog comment kills me every time. Thanks Jintor.

The_Kid

While I agree that the vitriol some people have for these games are completely unfounded or too intense, this interview comes off as arrogant. Then again, I don't know if I exactly believe Nintendo should apologize for their E3 performance. Some people are acting like they went up there and literally gave everyone the middle finger (and no, Federation Force is not that).

I do get the whole "play our games and you'll start to understand" reasoning somewhat. I had that happen to me with a few Nintendo games... and systems.

jwhit28

They had to expect backlash from the Metroid announcement beforehand. They experienced the same thing with Metroid and F-Zero for Nintendo Land. I don't think they are surprised and I don't think they care. E3 is the biggest time of the year for non-game enthusiast to pay attention to unreleased titles as well. It's not often you see unreleased games coverage on local news but E3 is one of those times. I'm sad that Next Level didn't move on to bigger and better things, but I'm willing to give Federation Force a chance.

Yeah Reggie, that Splatoon reveal was really poorly received...

(Posts from the two minutes during reveal of Splatoon in last year's Digital Event Thread)

Now go and look at the posts for Metroid Federation Fucks or whatever it is. Might notice a difference.

EDIT: DANG IT, TOXI!

Whenever I read comments from Nintendo fans these days I get reminded of Reservoir Dogs:

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy, or will you bite?"

Honestly judging by the content of some of the reactions, you'd think Nintendo went around everyones house and sliced open their pet in front of them, then proceded to hump the corpse while forcing them to watch.

If you're so offended by what was shown, simply pull the plug and sell your console. End of story. All that stomping and pouting like a five year old that didn't get any sweets in the shops is just downright pathetic.

Personally I'm done calling myself a Nintendo fan. I don't want to be associated with such entitled whiny brats.
Maybe it's time some of you start to re-evaluate your priorities in life if this is how you react to a boring presentation. Or at the very least start to realize that maybe it's time for you to jump ship, because obviously, Nintendo isn't interested in meeting your expectations anymore.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
god the fucking arrogance from this company is so obnoxious

have some humility and be open with your fans - why build this wall?
Exactly this. They are a business but opening a line of communication with your fans is one of the things that put Sony back on top. Microsoft too started with the arrogant approach but quickly changed course and it's helping their cause.

The fans are important now more than ever. These companies need that support.

Always the same old excuses and no action to change anything. Same hot air bullshit over and over. Iwata and Reggie needs to go. I bet in 2017, 2018, we'll hear this crap again.

You know, Iwata showing some regret and acknowledging things didn't go well in an apologetic manner, even if not an outright, explicit apology, was the only halfway decent think Nintendo showed this E3.

They fucking well should apologise for that balls up of a Digital Event, it was completely miss handled, tone deaf and, along with the other recent announcements, cack handedly implemented to the point of incompetence.

When you've just told everyone who bought a WiiU or n3DS, expecting them to be properly supported for the life of the product, that they can get stuffed, and pissed over several fan favourite franchises with cheap and nasty spin offs, then acting like their shit don't stink and having the gall to try and make that travesty of a 'new Metroid' look better by lying about a game everyone has loved since day 1, is just massively taking the piss.

If you fuck up, at least have the decency to show some sodding humility. Don't just spew PR bollocks that make the situation worse by trying to paint things out as it being the fans that are at fault.

Popnbake

I think Mario 3D World would of been a better example. At the time everyone wanted Galaxy 3 like how we have now where people wanted a new Wii U Prime. Then more info on 3D World came along and people were nuts for it.

Oops looks like I'm late to the party.

You still got to play as Mario and his friends in 3D World.

I think some of the disappointment could have been lessened if Samus was seen in the announcements for Federation Force.

Exactly this. They are a business but opening a line of communication with your fans is one of the things that put Sony back on top. Microsoft too started with the arrogant approach but quickly changed course and it's helping their cause.

The fans are important now more than ever. These companies need that support.

I don't know if it's worth for Nintendo to communicate with their fans. I see a distinct difference in the way Sony Fans or Xbox Fans behave when it comes to the behaviour of their favourite company as opposed to Nintendos toxic remnants of over zealous hardcores.

Again, judging by the reactions, I'd say if they want to directly communicate with fans, they should first cut most of them lose and start fresh. It's not like they'd lose much in the first place.

Fuck federation force. Had the idea a long time ago, but not like this, not when we're starved for metroid.

That is the thing. The game looks alright, but when Metroid fans are on edge since Other M, a silly little spin-off is not going to cut it. When Blastball was revealed, there were some decent comments about it. Doesn't look groundbreaking, but fun enough for what it is. Throwing the Metroid IP on there felt like a slap in the face for the fans and what the series is known for. Had this been revealed alongside a mainline Metroid (Prime), it wouldn't have been so bad. But with it being just what it is, it was a very poorly timed reveal.

UberTag

Reggie really should have just buried his head in the sand after the digital event and refused to answer any calls.
He's just making the problem worse.
Let the Treehouse guys field the PR hurdles during E3 week with their extended game demos.

other complaints which I assume are things like voice chat, content, single player, etc..

Nah. He is clearly talking about last years E3. None of that was known when it was first revealed.
Splatoon only had a turf war mode , a handful of weapons and two maps shown at E3.

Even after some complain threads this year. In general. People seem glad to see Splatoon do well.
Because it's a fun little new IP from Nintendo with quite some charm. I've already seen people hope for a sequel. I doubt most people want to see Federation Force do well now or ever...

I'm sad that Next Level didn't move on to bigger and better things, but I'm willing to give Federation Force a chance.

Sadly for Next Level games. I kinda doubt many will give it that chance after this. Initial reception during a reveal can make or break a game.

Toxi

Banned
EDIT: DANG IT, TOXI!
Toxi was here!

SkullHydra is a loser! :p
You still got to play as Mario and his friends in 3D World.

I think some of the disappointment could have been lessened if Samus was seen in the announcements for Federation Force.
Samus made a brief appearance of sorts in the Treehouse footage; the decoy power-up mentions "the Space Pirates' most hated foe" and the icon is a stylized Samus.

That's probably not what you meant though. :p

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
And SM3DW reactions are not a good comparison either, I would rather compare it to Star Fox Zero. Some liked it, some complained about it, there was a big discussion, but at no point you could say it was an outrage, an outburst of negativity.

That's way I'm still optimistic for Star Fox, it might look much better at release.

I wouldn't apologise to a bunch of whiny people on the internet if I was the head of a billion dollar company either.

If my company had had as dramatic a loss of customers, to the point that those whiny people were the only left, I bloody well would.

Actually I would anyway, regardless of how well my company was doing, if only because I wouldn't want to come across as an out of touch arsehole.

LOCK

Dear God this is horrible. Just accept that you miss read the audience and promise to make the best product you can while refocusing on the future.

Whenever I read comments from Nintendo fans these days I get reminded of Reservoir Dogs:

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy, or will you bite?"

Honestly judging by the content of some of the reactions, you'd think Nintendo went around everyones house and sliced open their pet in front of them, then proceded to hump the corpse while forcing them to watch.

If you're so offended by what was shown, simply pull the plug and sell your console. End of story. All that stomping and pouting like a five year old that didn't get any sweets in the shops is just downright pathetic.

Personally I'm done calling myself a Nintendo fan. I don't want to be associated with such entitled whiny brats.
Maybe it's time some of you start to re-evaluate your priorities in life if this is how you react to a boring presentation. Or at the very least start to realize that maybe it's time for you to jump ship, because obviously, Nintendo isn't interested in meeting your expectations anymore.

Using the 'annoying' fanbase as an excuse to not get into something is just as pathetic. Every somewhat popular pop-culture thing attracts entitled fans, some more vocal than others. A huge company like Nintendo that's very self-contained is just gonna attract fans like that. Especially when they are also a bit 'different' and have a legacy, it's like Apple fans.

Dear God this is horrible. Just accept that you miss read the audience and promise to make the best product you can while refocusing on the future.

This from the man who brought us "It's not the same game, it's not the same content"? Wishful thinking. Reggie's gonna go down spinnin'. It's in his blood.

Immediately thought, "No...No, that's not right" when I read Reggie's Splatoon-FF comparison. So...no, that's not right.
He's really not making this go down any easier, is he? I didn't think Iwata's tweet was an apology, either, but I don't exactly feel better after this statement. Yeah, Reggie doesn't technically run the show in the US; he isn't all wrong about perceptions of the games changing, either. This could be so much better, though.

SalvaPot

I wouldn't apologise to a bunch of whiny people on the internet if I was the head of a billion dollar company either.

image.php

Mononoke

Banned

Yeah, who needs customers. Their Wii U sales are doing great! They will all buy an NX.

Edit: I agree they shouldn't apologize over games they have made, or cancel games. But I think they also need to listen, and consider that the titles they are investing in for the support of Wii U, might not be cutting it with their customers.

Kurtofan

He's absolutely right.

This forum turns on its idols so fast, it's hilarious "my body is ready reggie" "presentation is a bit lackluster" "NINTENDO IS DOOMED FUCK REGGIE"

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Iwata has the "lost in translation" excuse.

Reggie is inexcusable. You can't be that out of touch and lead a Nintendo in the West. Reggie can make the actor, but he communicates strategy & tactics just as well as he plays a Nintendo game. So much amateurism.

Kurtofan

Iwata has the "lost in translation" excuse.

Reggie is inexcusable. You can't be that out of touch and lead a Nintendo in the West. Reggie can make the actor, but he communicates strategy & tactics just as well as he plays a Nintendo game. So much amateurism.

But he's right? Tell me what bad games they are releasing?

Apathy3G

Neo Member
After their direct I felt disappointed, it is not that I had unrealistic expectations or very high hopes, yet what we got was weak (e.g. Project Shoehorn more amiibo in > Animal Crossing Wii U). And today I was just starting to accept their underlying message from their E3 direct (i.e. basically ending the Wii U's life sooner than later, and please stay tuned for 2016).

However, when you come out as a company after such a disappointing direct and tell 'us' the 'fans' that we are not 'capable' enough to understand their complicated concepts, and that we need "time" to turn around. Basically stating that it is our fault and problem. That is were it get's borderline insulting and arrogant. They should have accepted the fact that when you send your console to die and make aforementioned decision clear to the fans and owner, that their reactions are going to be relatively negative.

As for their next 'platform' the NX, after this insulting statement and their disregard for their own product, I'm not sure if I would even consider consuming their next product.

I agree with this logic, but most of what they've been doing for the past couple years has been focused solely on that hardcore demographic and to a lesser extent kids who're probably apathetic about E3's existence.

Whiny internet people are their main audience* at the moment until they right things. This isn't the Wii where they were held up by a ton of totally new gamers who were really just there for Wii Sports/Fit and *occasionally* Mario Kart.

* I'm self-aware enough to admit I am currently being a whiny internet person this E3 in regards to most of Nintendo's stuff.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
PR gonna PR, but that Splatoon comparison is beyond hilarious and can't even be called a stretch, that's straight up lying territory.

He is totally right about Splatoon, did you guys forget the shit storm about no voice chat in Splatton ? That's one of the complain he is talking about.

And that's a legitimate complaint within the game, he's talking about immediate reaction to the game existing.

This from the man who brought us "It's not the same game, it's not the same content"? Wishful thinking. Reggie's gonna go down spinnin'. It's in his blood.

I'm quite fond of his response to why there isn't a regular N3DS model in North America

Different territories make their own business decisions regarding individual products and timing. We think New Nintendo 3DS XL makes the most sense for our market. Nintendo makes different systems at different price points for a whole range of consumers, and New Nintendo 3DS XL simply expands those choices even further.

Gnilres

Yeah Reggie, that Splatoon reveal was really poorly received...

(Posts from the two minutes during reveal of Splatoon in last year's Digital Event Thread)

I have no idea what you're talking about, this is clearly the same sort of response.

That pog comment kills me every time. Thanks Jintor.

Quoting both you guys so I can look at these anytime I want and laugh/cry.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
But he's right? Tell me what bad games they are releasing?
Their upcoming lineup is definitely good. But see what they got instead of hype. I wrote an infamous post rescripting their conference 3 years ago. Neiteio just showed how they should have presented materials they had this year to please people. Reggie hurts Wii U with these horribad E3 choices and messages.

Coming from the positive buzz they had with Splatoon, what they achieved this week is spectacular. Heads must fall. There's a redline between craftmanship and amateurism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom