• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Never take great games for granted

angrod14

Recent studio closures and layoffs, in addition to statements by publishers that game development is only going to get more complex and expensive, remind us once again that we should never take great games for granted.

I feel there's a flawed assumption most of us make right after finishing an outstanding game, that somehow we're definitely getting a sequel or a similar game that will be just as great, so we end up not valuing enough the experience we already have and that is our actual present. We take it for granted. "Oh that X game was cool, I'll check out the sequel went it comes out". There might not be one.

Uncertainty is around every corner. These games are possible thanks to huge companies whose main purpose is, unfortunately, make as much money as possible. Now everything is being aimed towards that AI-generated bs instead of being handcrafted, everything is trying to push an account and TOS to allow you to play, everything is trying to play it safer as an investment and have more long-term profit projections. Those microtransactions, subscriptions, ads. Those are cheap and bring in the bucks reliably.

If there's a game you really, really like that isn't affected by all that bullshit, never take it for granted. Treasure it. In these times, it's a miracle that it even happened. The next entry might not be as ambitious, might not be as risky, as artistic, as special. It might not even get to be made.

I'm currently on like my 20th playthrough of Part II (Abby's campaing, obviously), sucking in every moment. I don't know what ND will do next, if they'll be as ballsy, if they will have as much freedom, budget, drive, or badassery. But I'm really happy we got this. The same with Part I, Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy. They're for the ages.

For you it might be some other games. It might even be retro ones; and that's great. Enjoy them, keep them, value them. We don't know what the future holds, but at least we have what we've got.

The Last Of Us Playstation GIF by Naughty Dog

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Yep. If a studio's reached their peak (in your opinion), cherish it and praise it to high heaven whenever you can. Never let it go and never take it for granted. Whatever comes out after will inevitably be worse.

Top Bottom