• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two shuts down Roll7, makers of OlliOlli World and winners of last year BAFTA for Rollerdome.

MiguelItUp

The problem with this story is the rapacious cunts at executive level and shareholders, not the game devs.
1000%. Which is what it usually is.

Never really gave these games a chance, but I know a lot of folks liked/loved them. It's always a shame when this happens. The industry is just laying off more and more people, which is going to make finding a new gig in the industry even harder. It's all really sad.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I got both on PS Plus. Good games. 70 million dollar bonuses. They make more than an entire team of game designers with a single bonus. I wonder what makes them worth that much? They aren’t exactly the talent behind the games.

StueyDuck

Banned
Ironically, people jumping on any opportunity to be anti-woke regardless of context reminds me of how Era's worst look at everything through a certain lens. I'm not surprised people are getting sick of it and calling it out. As FM said:

I don't think that's an unreasonable point to mamake.
But who are you or anyone to decide what is right and wrong speak, what should and shouldn't be said? Just because you and another user got your jimmies ruffled by the comment doesn't mean everyone here did.

Just simply disagree or simply ignore it. Navigate these things like an adult would.

This thing of attacking someone's character or insulting them for their opinion because it's not "the right way to think" is pretty bad.

Again though I still stick to the thread wouldn't be derailed without the reaction in the first place.

Unless something is literally racist or literally sexist/homophobic etc etc. Then we don't need little angry thread policers.

If it's bad then the mods will deal with it.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Olioli world is fire.

Surprised Sony doesn’t just auto purchase the whole staff immediately.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I mean you guys are allowed to disagree with his opinion, but this new toxic, vitriolic attitude users are having towards those who mention anything woke is getting kind of scarily Resetera on here.
Maybe people are vitriolic because people are cheering on the death of a game studio because of this anti woke obsession.

Maybe just maybe someones political views shouldn't justify dozens of people with varying political opinions getting fired and losing their jobs and projects they were working on.

YCoCg

Edit: Because some folks seem to be mentally challenged and unable to read past the first sentence of the tweet: the issue isn't some bullshit holiday.

"we're striving to build an inclusive workforce" in current year (and considering recent events and studio heads + CMs admitting they're actually racist) implies that they're hiring based on skin color and/or whatever they've affixed to their Twitter profiles

Use your brain, people.

Original post as follows:
Never played any of their games but this is one of their last tweets:

Joaquin Phoenix Thumbs Down GIF

I disagree with your post, this is unrelated to the reason they were shut down, it feels weird you chose to focus on this when Take-Two have said the same stuff, so you cheering this on as they've been shut down for being woke rings flat.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I don't get it. If thier games made money, they would keep them around to make more money. But instead the executives should make less money to fund parts of the company that lose money?

Fbh

I don't get it. If thier games made money, they would keep them around to make more money. But instead the executives should make less money to fund parts of the company that lose money?

Big publishers seem to be consistently loosing interest in these smaller projects and devs.
Them being shut down doesn't necessarily mean they didn't make any money, but it's likely that compared to the key Take Two franchises they were generating so little revenue it wasn't worth it to keep them around. At some point executives will question if keeping 60 people employed to release some indie game every 2-3 years that probably makes about the same money as NBA2K does with microtransactions on a random weekend is really worth it.

Indie devs should be wary about being bought by these big publishers. There's nothing wrong with taking the money, specially if it will give you financial security for years to come. Just be aware that after a couple of years these publishers will often be like

toy-story-woody.gif

StueyDuck

Banned
But why are they not allowed to hold that opinion?

Why can't you and everyone else simply say that you disagree, why attack the person and their opinion? Why Is that the better choice?

Don't know why that quoted the wrong person sorry YCoCg

Was meant for 64bitmodles

Maybe people are vitriolic because people are cheering on the death of a game studio because of this anti woke obsession.

Maybe just maybe someones political views shouldn't justify dozens of people with varying political opinions getting fired and losing their jobs and projects they were working on.

Last edited:

YCoCg

But why are they not allowed to hold that opinion?

Why can't you and everyone else simply say that you disagree, why attack the person and their opinion? Why Is that the better choice?
Because the "opinion" is projecting a false reason as to why this is happening, it's just basic true and false, were they shut down for being "woke"? No. So celebrating it as them being shut down for being woke us false.

I'm not attacking, I'm questioning the logic here, if you're happy for this person to go about believing that is the reason when it's not then cool for you. Plus I did just say I disagree so why are you questioning if I didn't do so?

StueyDuck

Banned
Because the "opinion" is projecting a false reason as to why this is happening, it's just basic true and false, were they shut down for being "woke"? No. So celebrating it as them being shut down for being woke us false.

I'm not attacking, I'm questioning the logic here, if you're happy for this person to go about believing that is the reason when it's not then cool for you. Plus I did just say I disagree so why are you questioning if I didn't do so?
I accidentally quoted you. Not sure why it did.

I know you weren't

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Big publishers seem to be consistently loosing interest in these smaller projects and devs.
Them being shut down doesn't necessarily mean they didn't make any money, but it's likely that compared to the key Take Two franchises they were generating so little revenue it wasn't worth it to keep them around. At some point executives will question if keeping 60 people employed to release some indie game every 2-3 years that probably makes about the same money as NBA2K does with microtransactions on a random weekend is really worth it.

Indie devs should be wary about being bought by these big publishers. There's nothing wrong with taking the money, specially if it will give you financial security for years to come. Just be aware that after a couple of years these publishers will often be like

toy-story-woody.gif

That doesn't make a lot of sense, if they make money, and "they couldn't be bothered" to deal with them, why buy them in the first place. And why wouldn't you just sell them then as opposed to just closing them. Unless the intent all along was to fold the emoyees into your other divisions to increase talent there.

Soodanim

Gold Member
But who are you or anyone to decide what is right and wrong speak, what should and shouldn't be said? Just because you and another user got your jimmies ruffled by the comment doesn't mean everyone here did.

Just simply disagree or simply ignore it. Navigate these things like an adult would.

This thing of attacking someone's character or insulting them for their opinion because it's not "the right way to think" is pretty bad.

Again though I still stick to the thread wouldn't be derailed without the reaction in the first place.

Unless something is literally racist or literally sexist/homophobic etc etc. Then we don't need little angry thread policers.

If it's bad then the mods will deal with it.
I didn't say anyone couldn't say things, in fact it's the opposite. I fully support everyone's right to say what they want. But that extends to every member.

I agree that attacking the argument is the appropriate response, but I disagree that FM was attacking the person rather than the opinion. You might disagree with the tone or colourful language, but if it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck then you're going to treat it like a duck when you're sick of increasingly frequent quacks.

What was the attack you took issue with? The worst things I saw were "Grow the fuck up" and "You're cucked to CEOs", and I won't patronise you by explaining either but to me they're not attacks on the person but the point of view (when you look past the annoyance). The last line, which I won't bother quoting again, is clearly the point and gives context to the rest of it. Focusing on the rest and not the final line is missing the point.

Saying it wouldn't be derailed if no one responded is an awful defence for anything. Again, it's a public forum. You are free to give any opinion within the confines of the forum's rules, and anyone else has the same freedom to call you out on your bullshit so long as they stay within those same rules. Logically the blame lies with the person posting the bullshit where it doesn't belong. If I post something that is taken the wrong way and I could have been clearer, I accept it and clarify because I'm trying to fix my mistake a further an honest exchange of ideas. Further antagonising is not exactly in line with the civilised adult discourse you're fighting for.

I don't buy the "Mods are the only ones that can say anything" argument either. Society is full of people dealing with things without police involvement. Being a cunt isn't against the law, but someone's eventually going to tell you a cunt. If anything the entire point of forum features is to encourage the exchange of ideas. Quotes allow direct responses and notify the person quoted. Post reactions don't include negative reactions because the idea is that we talk to each other. Like now, we're discussing ideas because this is why we're here. You might not like the way some choose to exchange ideas at times, but isn't that thread policing in and of itself? You could have taken your own advice and ignored what was being said.

StueyDuck

Banned
I didn't say anyone couldn't say things, in fact it's the opposite. I fully support everyone's right to say what they want. But that extends to every member.

I agree that attacking the argument is the appropriate response, but I disagree that FM was attacking the person rather than the opinion. You might disagree with the tone or colourful language, but if it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck then you're going to treat it like a duck when you're sick of increasingly frequent quacks.

What was the attack you took issue with? The worst things I saw were "Grow the fuck up" and "You're cucked to CEOs", and I won't patronise you by explaining either but to me they're not attacks on the person but the point of view (when you look past the annoyance). The last line, which I won't bother quoting again, is clearly the point and gives context to the rest of it. Focusing on the rest and not the final line is missing the point.

Saying it wouldn't be derailed if no one responded is an awful defence for anything. Again, it's a public forum. You are free to give any opinion within the confines of the forum's rules, and anyone else has the same freedom to call you out on your bullshit so long as they stay within those same rules. Logically the blame lies with the person posting the bullshit where it doesn't belong. If I post something that is taken the wrong way and I could have been clearer, I accept it and clarify because I'm trying to fix my mistake a further an honest exchange of ideas. Further antagonising is not exactly in line with the civilised adult discourse you're fighting for.

I don't buy the "Mods are the only ones that can say anything" argument either. Society is full of people dealing with things without police involvement. Being a cunt isn't against the law, but someone's eventually going to tell you a cunt. If anything the entire point of forum features is to encourage the exchange of ideas. Quotes allow direct responses and notify the person quoted. Post reactions don't include negative reactions because the idea is that we talk to each other. Like now, we're discussing ideas because this is why we're here. You might not like the way some choose to exchange ideas at times, but isn't that thread policing in and of itself? You could have taken your own advice and ignored what was being said.
would you speak to people at work that way? telling someone to "Grow the fuck up" and calling them a cuck or whatever slanderous term is indeed attacking that person, even if it is "their argument" Why could they not simply disagree, I'm sorry but what you are defending isn't even how friends and family talk to each other, you are defending it purely because you don't want people to say something is woke, if he thinks shoes that are green are woke then who the fuck cares, it's his opinion? He could literally think everything is woke and you'd live to see another day i promise.

well if you don't believe it would of been derailed then why didn't you and others respond in a manner in order to get the user to clarify? instead we resort to childish name calling and anger? is that really how we want things to divolve on here?

i never said the mods are the only ones who can say anything and why are you taking some form of defense , there's no arguments it's just simple logic, the moderators moderate the forum, you can report something you don't like and the moderators will either moderate or leave it be, this isn't some argument, this is just literally what happens. if you don't like it, that is what happens on a forum then i have some bad news for you.

i have a thing against bullies, always have had ever since growing up and it's why I've been in so many fights in my youth, seeing people act that way makes me get involved, that is why I don't ignore it. There was no need to respond in such a moronic way to what is again, a nothing statement about something being woke and it's purely his opinion.

Just to be clear, you'd rather everyone just acted shitty to each other here, just to prove some gotcha about thread policing, even though all I've done is say "hey, maybe lets chill the vitriol a bit, and suggest maybe just chatting to the poster like they are another human being"

the matter of fact is that the response to a stupid throw away comment was a bit ridiculous. just simply say you disagree or ignore the person, that's how adults navigate the world. If you guys want to get in troll fights or whatever then go to twitter.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
So much here that I need to do it bit by bit.
would you speak to people at work that way? telling someone to "Grow the fuck up" and calling them a cuck or whatever slanderous term is indeed attacking that person,
Perhaps I did need to explain after all.
"Grow the fuck up" means "You're bringing this up here like some child who is parroting what he's heard elsewhere without understanding when or why". It's addressing the validity of the idea, not the person.
"You're cucked by CEOs" means "You're placing blame in the wrong place here and ignoring where blame belongs because what you're blaming is entirely irrelevant". Again, addressing the validity of the idea, not the person.

I'll say it again because I'm not just saying it for the fun of it: FunkMiller didn't say to never say it, he said to save it for when it was actually relevant. You keep ignoring that point and it's the point that sums up the entire post.
even if it is "their argument" Why could they not simply disagree, I'm sorry but what you are defending isn't even how friends and family talk to each other,
lmao what the fuck, duck? They're neither friends nor family, mate. This isn't Christmas dinner. I used the term "Public forum" for a reason.
you are defending it purely because you don't want people to say something is woke,
Jesus fuck you just don't read my posts, do you? Don't say you want adult discourse then tap tap tap the keyboard without reading what you're replying to. Civil adult discourse doesn't usually involve telling people what they believe either, especially when it's unfounded. That's pulling ideas out of your arse and will get you nowhere.
if he thinks shoes that are green are woke then who the fuck cares, it's his opinion? He could literally think everything is woke and you'd live to see another day i promise.
And if he continually asserts that green shoes are woke all over the place I guarantee the following will happen:
1. People will think it's a joke because it's ridiculous
2. People will get sick of seeing it
3. People will tell him to shut the fuck up
well if you don't believe it would of been derailed then why didn't you and others respond in a manner in order to get the user to clarify? instead we resort to childish name calling and anger? is that really how we want things to divolve on here?
I didn't do it at the time because I wasn't in the thread at the time. What the fuck do you want from me? I responded to him at the same time I responded to you. Again, you seem to be unwilling or unable to read my posts because if you did read them you'd have answers to every question you asked here.
i never said the mods are the only ones who can say anything
Don't bring up mods as the sole arbiters then.
and why are you taking some form of defense , there's no arguments it's just simple logic, the moderators moderate the forum, you can report something you don't like and the moderators will either moderate or leave it be, this isn't some argument, this is just literally what happens.
And as I just told you, there is more to both forums and societies than the binary sort of rule breaking and not. This is comment #3 that makes me think you're unwilling or unable to read what I'm saying.
if you don't like that is what happens on a forum then i have some bad news for you.
Stuey, if you don't like what happens on a forum sometimes, or in life for that matter, then I have some bad news for you.
the matter of fact is that the response to a stupid throw away comment was a bit ridiculous. just simply say you disagree or ignore the person,
You could have also just ignored the person, but you chose not to. Whatever brain events caused you to not ignore it are the same brain events that made others not ignore it. Do you not see the irony in what you're saying?
that's how adults navigate the world.
I don't know which adults you know, but believe you me that's not how the world works.

bender

What time is it?
I always forget that Private Division is part of Take Two.

Rollerdrome released August of 2022, was added to Gamepass November of 2023, and added as a PS+ monthly game February of 2024 so hitting 1 million players in March of 2024 doesn't seem so great.

Top Bottom