• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ViveCraft demo video - using the Vive controller to place blocks

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
This is a great little demo video showing how the Vive controller can be shown in-game. The controller is used as a brush to place and remove blocks. For demo video purposes, seeing the controller this way really helps the viewer imagine what it would be like to use it in VR.

Video 1:

MP4 video at the source:

Video 2:

Video 3: Roller coaster building

Afrikan

Nah, you're thinking of Hololens AR. This would be on the Vive headset.

I know. :D

it looks great though. Even though it's a simple demo, the lighting looks nice on the rendering of the Controller.

I just love VR, because it really makes you feel like you are in the middle of nowhere doing something neat.

like in this demo, just empty space and you can see horizon....but there is a Sun. And you are just there minding your own business.

this is what I envisioned when I used to be a kid in class, staring out the window.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I wish they would release their recommended system specs for the Vive. I know for certain my CPU needs to be upgraded. I just need to know to what and if my GPU will need upgrading.

I'm far too excited for this.

Ionic

I wish they would release their recommended system specs for the Vive. I know for certain my CPU needs to be upgraded. I just need to know to what and if my GPU will need upgrading.

The headsets themselves won't have stringent requirements. It's more up to what individual developers tailor their games to run at. For now just assume developers will be targeting hardware around Oculus' suggestion, give or take a bit.

Durante

I've said this before, but I really can't wait for Vive. I hope they make their 2015 goal.

If you want to upgrade specifically for Vive it makes sense to do so as late as possible, since tech can usually only get better/cheaper. Still, I don't think there can be meaningful "specs for Vive", only specs for specific Vive experiences.

NUyttbn.gif

Man, Vive is really looking insanely good. I really want to try it out.

HariKari

Not particularly showing any accuracy though, which would be quite important in minecraft :)

Doesn't seem any less accurate than what I'd expect from someone new to a mouse. The Vive controller is a whole new sensation. I still make mistakes when putting down large sections like that, even with a mouse.

Durante

Doesn't seem any less accurate than what I'd expect from someone new to a mouse. The Vive controller is a whole new sensation. I still make mistakes when putting down large sections like that, even with a mouse.
It's like a mouse with 3 axes rather than 2 and no friction. Given that, and how short they have been out, I think the accuracy displayed when building that small house is actually rather impressive.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
It's like a mouse with 3 axes rather than 2 and no friction. Given that, and how short they have been out, I think the accuracy displayed when building that small house is actually rather impressive.

You can tell they started getting the hang of it with the roof, which went a lot more smoothly. Tracing precise angles in space is certainly going to take some getting used to!

I'm really looking forward to the VR sculpting and art applications like Tiltbrush. Doing that spiral with a neon light tracer instead...

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Thanks for the input on hardware specs everyone!

I've said this before, but I really can't wait for Vive. I hope they make their 2015 goal.

If you want to upgrade specifically for Vive it makes sense to do so as late as possible, since tech can usually only get better/cheaper. Still, I don't think there can be meaningful "specs for Vive", only specs for specific Vive experiences.

I'm definitely waiting til either there's a worthwhile sale or until the last moment. I'm curious if they will be taking preorders like their other hardware initiatives.

fred

Yup, that's my plan I think.

I need to build a new machine soon anyway because my current one was a bit of a beast(ish) in 2008 but is showing its age a bit now.

Am also going to wait until the second batch of Vive stuff is released early next year because it's going to be cheaper than the first lot.

I'm looking at Vive because I love every single one of my HTC smartphones and because Valve are awesome lol.

I just hope it isn't waaaaay too expensive otherwise it could take me years to be able to afford it all lmfao

Top Bottom