• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Super Mario 3d world not a true 3d Mario game?

I read that many do not consider it a "3d adventure Mario" and I am confused by what this means. I read into this as meaning that unlike 64,sunshine,and galaxy it does not contain a hub world of any kind and some kind of mind-blowing new gimmick. If true, does this mean that all 3d Mario games have to have these qualities to be "true 3d Mario game"? Not that I actually care what a real Mario is but I find the amount of people who share this opinion kinda of weird.

Mostly because sm3dw is a amazing game, filled with variety and wonder. Every level is different tight platforming design that never gets repetitive by having new gimmicks in every level. From levels based entirely on speed to levels playing with shadows is really brought up in this video:http://youtu.be/dBmIkEvEBtA
And http://youtu.be/1D-geFXZiZk

So I'm just confused why this does this matter to people so much that it feels like to me anyway taints this game for them.

MGrant

It is a 3D Mario game, but its different style of camera (isometric and fixed, as opposed to ground-level and adjustable) puts some people off. Not me, though. Loved 3D World

NeonZ

It has a very different design style from 3d Mario. Even Galaxy 1/2, although having mostly linear stages, still kept the objective based structure of the 3d games, while 3d World changes the level design and focus entirely to running to the end flag of each level, similar to the 2d mario games.

There's also the use of items and power ups, which, yet again, is more like 2d Mario than 3d Mario, since they're actual power ups, rather than limited tools that mostly exist to go through obstacles or finish puzzles.

Gsnap

For some reason, people want the camera placed behind Mario's back and they want more organic level design. They also want stars instead of flagpoles, and they want more gimmicky objectives like racing, limited power ups, collecting things, and such.

Personally, I like both and don't really understand the hate for either type.

The Boat

People like to come up with reasons to disregard something that doesn't fit in 100% with their wishlists. SM3DW is a true 3D Mario.

It is a true 3D Mario. It just doesn't feel like a grand adventure like Galaxy, 64 or even Sunshine did. It just feels like Mario and friends are going through a bunch of levels like they always do. There's nothing wrong with feeling that way about the game. It's still totally a great game.

Theorymon

I guess some people just really dislike the fact that Super Mario 3D World takes a lot of its cues from 2D Mario games?

I personally think this insult is dumb though. You move around in a 3D space, its 3D Mario, even if its different compared to some of the other ones.

Also personally, I think Super Mario 3D World is fucking fantastic, so there's that!

My issue with it is that it was designed for 4 players. This made stages broader and less streamlined for someone like me who is playing it by themselves.

I prefer my Mario campaigns to be designed around just one player.

RK128

I don't own a Wii U, so I never played much of 3D World (only on a GameStop demo station), but many people still see the game as "Oh, a console version of 3D Land" and they remember they wasn't that impressed with 3D Land, so they ignore/don't count 3D World due to that :l.

I don't think that is fair, considering everything point to 3D World being everything 3D Land should have been; much stronger blend of 2D and 3D platforming, large amount of power-ups/suits Mario can use, extra playable characters (a huge first for the 3D Platforming Super Mario series) and a full-on 4 player co-op mode that looks like fun. The game likely has some flaws (the characters not being as 'fluid' control like in Galaxy or Mario 64), but if they are tight and lead to some great platforming, then I don't see any issue with that :).

Overall, 3D World is labeled as 'not a true 3D Mario' due to the game having its roots firmly planted on the 2D space of the Mario series and many want a return to the Galaxy or Mario 64-esc formula. I want that myself, but I respect 3D World for not only being a great game but doing a lot in improving what 3D Land lacked; originality.

3D Land was a 'greatest hits' version of Mario but 3D World is 'greatest hits....but with lots of NEW songs to boot man :D!'. So many creative and odd-ball level designs and mechanics (like the Double Cherry clones for example) alongside some really fine-crafted levels all lead to a game that does a lot right and has a stronger balance of old and new than 3D Land.

whitehawk

Banned
Because it's somewhere in-between a Galaxy game and a New SMB game. I wouldn't fit it in with the mainline Mario 3D series (Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy 1, 2).

I think part of it is also the boring uninspired art style.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
What people mean is the difference between an objective-based Mario game and a reach-the-end-of-the-level (or "flagpole") Mario game (although that has also been a common objective among many others in objective-based Mario games). Both styles feature linear levels, but only objective-based Mario games, even the Galaxy series, also featured more open settings in the mix.

Both styles are obviously "true" Mario games. Many people just would like a more objective-based Mario game, after we already had so many flagpole Mario games in the past.

Berordn

How did you feel that?

I never played MP in 3DWorld and it felt fine.

Champions Road in 4 player sounds like a nightmare.

I actually get where he's coming from even though I played the whole game solo and thought it was great. Whereas in 3D Land the levels were only as wide as necessary to accommodate Mario/Luigi, there's a LOT of extra space in 3D World's levels to allow four players to go wild. It didn't impact my enjoyment of it, but outside of a couple levels it does seem like everything was designed with that max capacity in mind.

Pandy

It's an amazing game.

But Nintendo themselves put it in a different category to 64/Sunshine/Galaxy, and have stated that the direct follow-up to that series was in production seperately from Super Mario 3D World. It's Nintendo's publicly stated position, so it's hardly surprising so many people say as much.

(Don't have time to look up the quote now, I'm sure someone else will post it if they haven't already done so.)

It's a 3D game BUT it has more similarities with 2D Marios:

1. Run-to-the-end style levels, 3D Marios typically have objective based levels.
2. The timer
3. Multiplayer

None of these are negatives(though I don't like the timer), but they used to be exclusive to 2D Mario games(not counting the multiplayer in SMG2). Yes, technically it is a 3D game, but for all intents and purposes it's a 2D Mario, which is why some people were disappointed. I loved the game but I can see where they're coming from.

Sciz

I read that many do not consider it a "3d adventure Mario"

It's a 3D Mario adventure, which is to say that it is a Mario game that is transposed into 3D, instead of a 3D adventure Mario, i.e. an adventurey game in 3D that happens to star Mario but lacks several of the series' staple features.

The dumber thing I heard from some people was that super Mario 3D world isn't a true 3D platformer.

Like wtf it's the purest 3D platformer I've ever played.

Because it's somewhere in-between a Galaxy game and a New SMB game. I wouldn't fit it in with the mainline Mario 3D series (Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy 1, 2).
I think part of it is also the boring uninspired art style.
That's like saying wind waker doesn't fit in with mainline Zelda games because of its artsyle. They are all different games in their own special ways that I find it ridiculous to tie some trend between them. Artsyle thing is your opinion so there to talk about.

At least Galaxy 2 does crazy stuff with the 3rd dimension
What "crazy stuff"?

Gsnap

Galaxy 2 is just as linear as 3DW. People who think otherwise might want to replay Galaxy 2 again for a little while.

Even more linear in some places considering all the things the Galaxy games force you to do.

3D world has layered level design. Here's the beginning, here's the end, there's a bunch of stuff in between, get to the end however you want. There's actually lots of ways to approach levels, shortcuts to take, etc.

The Galaxy games generally have you do something very linear and specific to complete the exact objective before you can proceed. The Galaxy games are possibly the most scripted of all the mario games.

Both styles are really fun, but people really need to take off their blinders and see the games as they really are.

Top Bottom