• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shout out to current GameTrailers crew: the best I've ever felt about gaming media

Status
Not open for further replies.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I absolutely agree, the best part for me is how they complement each other, because they most DEFINITELY don't share the same perspective about games in general and that leads to some serious (and mostly funny) discussions about any given topic and, personally, is what I value the most when i'm consuming content on the internet. They're one of the few pages where I have disabled my ad-blockers to support them and I hope they can revamp it to consume everything from there and not from youtube in one hand and from twitch in another.
They are willing to disagree with each other (which I feel has been missing since 1up Yours) and Bosman, despite him being sometimes a bit much in that regard, is willing to challenge others to explain their point.
The others don't just nod and agree passively (of course that still happens, because sometimes they just naturally automatically agree) but they will talk about why someone thinks what they think.

The dialogue is something that I find very valuable.

I dont think anyone actually wanted Giant Bomb to go nuts like GT, people just expected some sort of reaction at all but they basically had no emotions or surprise at all as if they didnt even give a shit. Which combined with many of their recent views and content lead many people to feel that they are way too cynical and jaded about everything.
They did react just not the way you wanted them to.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
It's funny to see a lot of people around here suddenly start praising the Gametrailers folks for their upbeat and positive attitude considering the majority of GAF seems to just hate everything recently and complain for the sake of complaining. :p

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
GT crew got me back into gaming. I haven't played as many games as I have these past few weeks in years.

GT are the soul of gaming for me right now.

adelante

I'm all for the outpouring of love the for new GT crew (started watching more videos on the site because of them) but I don't get the comparisons with Giantbomb's E3 reactions at all. If you look at their press conference video again, they reacted exactly how I expected a panel of experienced/veteran game journalists would: they didn't jump for joy but you could tell that most of them were glued to the reveal demos/trailers; despite their cynicism, they really were curious and interested to know what's in store for each game.

I think there's a place for people like them in this industry, we don't have to like it but it makes for a healthier community if we appreciate their existence nonetheless.

I definitely agree –– they offer critique but not in a super cynical way; they offer hype but not in a fanboy way. They don't negate their journalistic credentials by being hyped for something, they strike a very good balance by resonating with everyone that is excited for something but also retaining that level-headedness that I expect from journalist and personalities.

Bloodworth is great in my opinion, as is Bosman.

I didn't care for gametrailers in the past but everyone there seems legitimately excited about video games and video game culture. That is enough to win me over unlike the rest of the negative nancys in the games media / journalism business.

It's funny to see a lot of people around here suddenly start praising the Gametrailers folks for their upbeat and positive attitude considering the majority of GAF seems to just hate everything recently and complain for the sake of complaining. :p

Exactly. I'll check GT out. NeoGAF always has the latest news, but people can be incredibly negative and entitled around here. Sometimes it pays to avoid reading threads. I check usgamer every once in a while. Their content is a slow drip, but they have talent that doesn't seem to cater to the "message board caste" the same way Kotaku does. I used to love Classic Game Room...

I don't want people to be brainless and uncritical, but the never ending cynicism can be a bit much.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I remember when they didn't even showed who reviewed the game. You basically only knew "that guy with the voice" and "that guy who does the countdown voice".
Just gonna say it: Site got a lot better after Shane left

Right?
God forbid if someone just isn't as excited about a game as you are.

There are just underlying issues with Giant Bomb I think –– especially with respect to their current discussion. For me, it's not about them being excited for something, what I find emblematic of this is Jeff's insistence PS4 doesn't have any games this fall and being pejorative by claiming Uncharted for example is not a good seller. None correct him or disagree with him, it's not there, and if they do disagree it's just basically the same old thing about Dan liking MGS or some other game.

It's to a point where they're becoming an echo chamber, a very jaded echo chamber relying on the echo to keep their voices heard as opposed to saying something else.

I haven't given them a chance. Do they have multiple podcasts? Which one should I listen to? I'd prefer a general discussion podcast if possible.

Bacon

Does every gametrailers praise thread have to inevitably shit on Giant bomb? We get it, you don't like gb, and that's fine, how about just talking about how much you like gt?

Wavebossa

I like them.

I got pretty tired of listening to a constant stream of wet blanket podcasts and videos, and with the "feign a little bit of ignorance on the details to make the podcast flow better" type of approach that's so prevalent these days.

Agree so much with the bolded.

Sometimes when i'm listening to/watching some of these guys *cough* giant bomb *cough.. i'm thinking to myself, do these guys even like games?

gazele

Banned
Just got finished watching the roughly 25 hours of E3 coverage last night

so great

"Get up on that desk…you gotta get up on that desk"

DSix

Banned
Totally with you OP, their e3 coverage was awesome and really connected with me. Bosman was always on point but I think I'm gonna keep an eye on the ohters too from now on.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I am a big fan of Bosman and Huber's shows and after E3 I've been making an effort to watch and listen to more of their stuff. I like them a lot, though I feel like they come across as a bit naive and theatrical at times. The most recent GT Time when they're talking about Destiny and the Arkham Knight PC port sounded like grade school kids trying to comprehend income tax law -- it just felt like there were several facets of the discussion that they didn't touch on because it seems like they simply didn't know what they didn't know. I haven't yet figured out if that's endearing or frustrating to listen to. And then sometimes it feels like they're a little too aware of the fact that they're putting on a show, instead of just sitting around shooting the breeze

But like I said, I like them all a lot and think they did a bang up job with E3 and I plan on continuing to listen. Thumbs up from me in general

I dont think anyone actually wanted Giant Bomb to go nuts like GT, people just expected some sort of reaction at all but they basically had no emotions or surprise at all as if they didnt even give a shit. Which combined with many of their recent views and content lead many people to feel that they are way too cynical and jaded about everything.

Come on that's not true. Jeff was super into Horizon and Mario maker.

and just cause and persona and VR and etc etc

When I was 5 and power rangers came on for the first time I jumped around and acted like an excessively annoying hyper 5 year old

when I saw the raid last year and it my favorite action movie in 20 years I did not act like an excessively annoying hyper 5 year old

Gattsu25

Banned
Felt like I was watching an embarrassing fanboy circle jerk whenever that .gif gets posted.

I guess they're fine if all you care about in the media is the hype machine.

Fury451

Banned
I have to agree, as far as main line new sites go I think there are by far the most entertaining bunch, as well as being pretty levelheaded about things.

Wavebossa

Felt like I was watching an embarrassing fanboy circle jerk whenever that .gif gets posted.

I guess they're fine if all you care about in the media is the hype machine.

Or... and this is just a crazy theory... but maybe they were simply happy that those games were announced?

I know I know... crazy talk

Servbot24

Banned
That was just embarrassing. Hamming up their overreactions while one of them just remains calm and composed and trying to focus on what's actually being announced, instead of just talking for the sake of talking. Ugh.

Boooooooooooo

There was nothing ingenuine about their reaction

That was just embarrassing. Hamming up their overreactions while one of them just remains calm and composed and trying to focus on what's actually being announced, instead of just talking for the sake of talking. Ugh.

EE1D08C3D17DDB8B57ADD85F0E3CD6320AD74691

kvothe

Bosman is great.

I find myself disagreeing with things Brandon Jones says almost every episode of GT time. Not like a "different opinions" type thing, but a "how can someone who works in the industry think these sorts of things?"

I'm a big fan, great bunch of personalities. Ben Moore's the one I like hearing from the most. Whether trying to explain No Man's Sky's appeal to Brandon or dissecting the MGSV trailer, he just really gets it.

The last time I was this enthused about gaming and about a gaming news/commentary outlet was the peak of the 1UP era.

So it's been a minute

Wavebossa

Embarrasing, overreactions?

Have you watched any GT shows before? This is exactly how they act. They looked 100% geniune.

If you suffer from second-hand embarrassment watching people get hyped about video games... you probably shouldn't watch E3. Just a tip

The only person I don't like is Brandon Jones... he has incredibly stupid views on what makes a good game. I almost want to listen to old GT time's just to pull some of his stupid quotes.

Embarrasing, overreactions?

Have you watched any GT shows before? This is exactly how they act. They looked 100% geniune.

If you suffer from second-hand embarrassment watching people get hyped about video games... you probably shouldn't watch E3. Just a tip
Yup, they were 100% genuine.

LastNac

They're a good crew overall.

I've kinda been irritated at Bosman ever since that fairly ignorant video he put out over TLoU. He has come a long way but that whole ordeal still rubs me the wrong way.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The only person I don't like is Brandon Jones... he has incredibly stupid views on what makes a good game. I almost want to listen to old GT time's just to pull some of his stupid quotes.
Brandon Jones has one scale: 0-100

How open world is this game.

Yep I've loved GT for years. Their retrospectives and video reviews have been the best in the industry for years.

But yeah, great team as well and I'm happy to see more people recognizing them especially after last year's devastating buyout and subsequent layoffs. I felt so bad for them because my company was going through the same thing at the time.

Bosman is great.

I find myself disagreeing with things Brandon Jones says almost every episode of GT time. Not like a "different opinions" type thing, but a "how can someone who works in the industry think these sorts of things?"
This! 100% this!

Ben Moore is the Mark Kermode of videogames? Hahahahahaha

Kermode doesn't swing all conversations to Hearthstone and make out that its the apex of gaming at every chance.

gazele

Banned
Bosman is great.

I feel like most people in the industry are like Brandon Jones, and the only reason he seems "out of place" is because of how "normal" everyone else is, i.e. Bosman, Huber, Elyse, Ian, Ben

That being said, Jones has that older brother vibe of like "wow he's hanging out with us, we're cool!"

Also, he has a great VO voice

Oh!

And the other thing I like is that they haven't abandon their analysis of trailers, one could say that it would be very easy to just focus on news or the "traditional" original content like reviewing games, etc, but they always have this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NxAAXBKxwQ

And I don't see this kind of original content for videogames anywhere else and trailers are such and important part of this industry.

tanod

when is my burrito
For me, they're approaching 1UP levels of goodness. I've really come to enjoy more of their content over the last year.

<3 Mandatory Update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom