• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Music rebranded as "Groove", Xbox Video now "Movies & TV"

Guevara

Welcome-Screen-for-Groove-1024x599.png

What’s new with entertainment on Windows 10?

Let’s start with Music. Our fans asked for faster ways to access the music they love – quickly, efficiently, and on their favorite devices. And for that, we’re proud to introduce the evolution of our current Xbox Music experience, now titled Groove, with new features we think you’re going to love. Groove describes what people feel and do with music, and is more intuitive for our Windows 10 customers on what they’ll find with the app.

And along with Groove, you’ll also find Xbox Video has also been renamed to Movies & TV, making the content in the app more identifiable for our broad customer base.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/07/06/updates-to-entertainment-in-windows-10/

Huh...

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Better than having Xbox there. Regular people would otherwise associate those services with gaming somehow.

Toki767

They wanted to brand everything Xbox when the brand was strong at the end of the 360 days.

Now they want to remove the Xbox brand now that it isn't as strong I guess.

dugdug

Banned
Probably a good idea. Would imagine most people relate Xbox with gaming. Wonder if either of these services are profitable for MS.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Damn, not sure if I like it. I usually love the simplistic names, like Music, Movies and TV. Apple Music, Apple Pay. Hell, I hope the next Xbox is called just Xbox. I love that they changed from Smartglass to Xbox.

Personally I like the name. It's better than continuing the theme of Apple Music, Google Music or (Insert company name and music here).

Lrrr

At times, it's staggering just how terrible Microsoft can be at branding something. You can almost hear all the suits in the meeting thinking this name resonates with their consumers.

Sony renames their Music unlimited to PlayStation Music and MS renames Xbox Music to Groove which is quite opposite and strange. Even Sony Video unlimited now PS Video and Xbox Video to Movies & TV so Sony wants move to Playstation and MS wants move away from Xbox.

Jomjom

Banned
I thought Xbox was MS's cool brand and they wanted to brand everything hip to Xbox? What a strange decision. Xbox Music was way better.

MarkusRJR

Should have been MS Music and MS Video. Groove and Movies & TV are horrible names and will be impossible for people for people to search for on app stores (particularly Movies & TV).

Honestly keeping Xbox Music and Xbox Video would have been a better idea. As someone who uses both services, the problem has never really been the name. It's that the service lacks a lot of features and is more clunky than the competing services that are the same price.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I thought Xbox was MS's cool brand and they wanted to brand everything hip to Xbox? What a strange decision. Xbox Music was way better.

Apparently, polls or surveys or some studies showed that people were associating Xbox Music to gaming related services.

jond76

Banned
Xbox music is a good service I gladly pay for, the new name is fine. Sounds like some back end improvements too.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Apparently, polls or surveys or some studies showed that people were associating Xbox Music to gaming related services.

What a surprise! It's like they should've left the brand alone two years ago!

Should have brought back Zune. It would have made for the perfect Microsoft naming loop.
They should have just left it at "Microsoft Music" or "Windows Music" and be done with it.

Ubersnug

Im still sitting on that large Pipe dream, waiting on them announcing that my xbox live subscription will give me premium 'Groove' access.

FyreWulff

Didn't they just brand them as XBox like a year ago or so?

Microsoft is constantly rebranding their services.

Microsoft Windows Live PlaysForSure Zune Xbox Music NT for Workgroups powered by Azure

Hell, they even keep renaming what they call patches each generation on their consoles..

Xbox.. AU
360 .. TU
One.. CU

dem

lol

Movies & TV

Seriously?

They already used the Groove name for Microsoft Office Groove..

New002

They wanted to brand everything Xbox when the brand was strong at the end of the 360 days.

More like they finally realized it never made sense to put everything under an Xbox umbrella given how everyone associates Xbox with gaming.

I don't think this has anything to do with brand strength.

AndyD

aka andydumi

Pretty much. People said naming it Xbox Music and Videos outside the Xbox ecosystem made no sense then, and it seems they were right.

They should really do something like Sony did and just partner up with something more established. Besides reinventing their music service once again, does it actually innovate?

Top Bottom