• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Mini ice age' coming in next fifteen years, new model of the Sun's cycle shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDanger

Banned
EDIT:

story seems to be wrong...

searched didn't see this posted

There will be a "mini ice age" in 2030, solar scientists have said.

We are now able to predict solar cycles with far greater accuracy than ever before thanks to a new model which shows irregularities in the sun’s 11-year heartbeat.

The model shows that solar activity will fall by 60 per cent between 2030 and 2040 causing a "mini ice age".

The conditions predicted have not been experienced since the last "mini ice age" which lasted from 1645 to 1715, called the Maunder Minimum.

More at the link.

gutshot

Well, technically, we are in an ice age right now. So it would be more like a mini lapse in the interglacial period we are currently experiencing.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
sean-bean.jpg

Winter is coming

FFFFFFUUUUUCK YEWWW

"After the long summer, darkness will fall heavy on the world. The stars will bleed. The cold breath of winter will freeze the seas... and the dead shall rise in the North."

Sounds like the long night is upon us. I suggest everyone stock up on dragon glass.

Kabouter

Research isn't available to look at yet. And even if it's accurate, it doesn't really change a whole lot regarding global warming.

I agree as regards the overall seriousness of global warming, that said, depending on the severity, it could be quite disastrous if it actually does come to pass. The eruption of the Tambora in 1815 was an event with absolutely horrific consequences, and that was just a three year period.

KHarvey16

Haha, if you read the press release carefully it says this could produce conditions similar to the conditions that previously caused a mini ice age.

Most of the press did not read carefully.

Africanus

So in 2030, if this is true, the climate change debate will begin again meaning no progress will be made and the world will continue to head towards its devastation.

KHarvey16

Pffft, guess I shouldn't be surprised.

At this point my instincts are to immediately pull up the research when you see these sorts of headlines, but unfortunately the paper hasn't been released yet. It's sad but I can remember instances where tons of headlines report a story that is wholly unsupported or even directly contradicted by the actual research paper! I can't imagine what it's like to be one if these scientists and see that.

Irminsul

somehow take the Independent more serious than a website called thinkprogress.
And I base my assessment on the content of the articles, not the name of the website.

Because the sun reaching a minimum similar to the Little Ice Age does make sense on its own. But that has just very little to do with the climate. The main driver of the Little Ice Age were volcanic eruptions, not the sun.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
At this point my instincts are to immediately pull up the research when you see these sorts of headlines, but unfortunately the paper hasn't been released yet. It's sad but I can remember instances where tons of headlines report a story that is wholly unsupported or even directly contradicted by the actual research paper! I can't imagine what it's like to be one if these scientists and see that.

Obligatory
phd051809s.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom