• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Uncharted 4 pushes PS4 tech to the next level (E3 demo analysis)

Gurish

It's incredibly exciting to finally see what Naughty Dog is able to pull off with next gen hardware.

I'd love to think that this would be akin to Uncharted 1 in terms of how far it's pushing the hardware to its limits - where that implies that a 2nd and 3rd game by Naughty Dog on the PS4 would see great leaps in tech as we witnessed going from Uncharted 1 to 2 and 3 on PS3. Sadly I'm far more inclined to believe that this is already pushing the limits of the hardware at the same level UC3 pushed PS3 so far into the generation (or even TLoU, arguably the most demanding game that the PS3 runs).

I hope I'm at least a little bit wrong though! Either way, man does this get the hardware/PC nerd side of me so pumped up!

Yea I feel the same, it's easier getting more out of this hardware than what you could with the PS3, it's definitely not akin to U1, I believe you are right and this is already pushing the limits and games won't look much better than this (in such scale at least, maybe "The Order 2" or next QD's game will surpass it but not with such scale), still it's looking incredible and I'm more than fine to "settle" on this level for the rest of the gen.

Really impressive looking game, if this is the peak from the PS4 I'm more than happy. As some have said the prettiest games on PS3 came from Santa Monica, for me they were ahead of everyone else by quite a distance. At least graphically, I can't see anything other than Barlogs PS4 God of War game being the prettiest thing on consoles.

SSM are giants when it comes to tech, ND are good but a step below for sure.

Alo0oy

Banned
But this consoles are not some kind of special made hardware. They are basicly lowend PCs...

The PS4 uses specialized API & a custom-built GPU (It's weak in terms of raw power, but has features from high end GPUs), & most exclusives use an engine tailored for that hardware, which is one of the main reasons exclusives look & run better than multiplats.

tuxfool

Banned
The PS4 uses specialized API & a custom-built GPU (It's weak in terms of raw power, but has features from high end GPUs)
Like what?

Given everything they have said, it just looks like a GCN1.1 GPU with a CU count in between the 7870 and 7850.

Really impressive looking game, if this is the peak from the PS4 I'm more than happy. As some have said the prettiest games on PS3 came from Santa Monica, for me they were ahead of everyone else by quite a distance. At least graphically, I can't see anything other than Barlogs PS4 God of War game being the prettiest thing on consoles.

Hopefully Sony first/second party studios are competing and sharing tech. I think Quantic Dream's new game will blow minds.

giphy.gif

Gods among humans

Like what?

Given everything they have said it just looks like a GCN1.1 GPU with a CU count in between the 7870 and 7850.

Doesn't really matter. All things equal, it's the game engine that counts. You got games like Alien Isolation that use a custom built engine that run at 70+ fps on those kinds of PC specs.

Stacey

Banned
Almost 2 years in and Sony devs keep 1 upping each other in the visuals department, other devs just ain't got a look in unfortunately.....

Killzone shadow fall
Infamous second son
Driveclub
The order 1886

And early 2016 Uncharted 4.

Alej

Banned
Like what?

Given everything they have said, it just looks like a GCN1.1 GPU with a CU count in between the 7870 and 7850.

"Given everything they have said"

Yep, it looks like that if you see it via PC only goggles.

You don't really know anything.

I sure do not too.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
I mean. DF is usually very thorough with their analyses. I'm sure that if the game had implemented AF, they would have noticed it.

If even ND is having problems with AF on PS4, that's surely cause for concern.

So much "concern" for a console that has the prettiest games out there.

I am more than satisfied with the graphics produced by the PS4 thus far. Some of the games like Horizon, The Order 1886 and this game look as good or better than anything out there in my eyes

Uncharted 4 is hands-down the best looking game out there right now, IMHO. No game's doing what U4 is doing.

Like what?

Well...

Though based on AMD's GCN architecture, there are several known differentiating factors between the PS4's GPU and current-gen PC graphics cards featuring first-gen GCN architecture:

- An additional dedicated 20 GB/s bus that bypasses L1 and L2 GPU cache for direct system memory access, reducing synchronisation challenges when performing fine-grain GPGPU compute tasks.
- L2 cache support for simultaneous graphical and asynchronous compute tasks through the addition of a 'volatile' bit tag, providing control over cache invalidation, reducing the impact of simultaneous graphical and general purpose compute operations.
- An upgrade from 2 to 64 sources for compute commands, improving compute parallelism and execution priority control. This enables finer-grain control over load-balancing of compute commands including superior game-engine integration.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_4_technical_specifications#Graphics_processing_unit

Drencrom

I mean. DF is usually very thorough with their analyses. I'm sure that if the game had implemented AF, they would have noticed it.

But there's AF, it's pretty evident in the gamersyde video. And by your logic they would mention it also if it wasn't there. I don't understand your baseless concern.

Amazing how far they've come from Crash Bandicoot. I remember watching the UC4 E3 demo and thinking "My God. How does it look THIS good? Sorcery? A virgin sacrifice to P'thuh? How???"

No need to stir up a conspiracy. I am sure the game will be fine. It still has over 6 months of development.

That is what I think too. I am sure GOW4 will look betetr than anything shown in video games when first shown (that is why Sony is keeping it so much in secrecy while they showed almost everything else). Then another Unhcraterd or TLOU will come and it will top that and then anotehr GOW and the cycle continues.

Mula

Like what?

I think one of those things is GPGPU. there are 8 ACE's. They will start later heavy use of gpgpu. As cerny said.

I think one of those things is GPGPU. there are 8 ACE's. They will start later heavy use of gpgpu. As cerny said.

and each ACE has 8 CUs which means 64 CUs in sum. ND stated that they are mimicking the CELL SPU's behaviour with those ACEs. A great way to implemeent such complex physics.

Gurish

Of course it does, because it does not look as good as the order.

If UC4 looked like the order, you would lose out on a lot of other things like physics

It looks good enough and with a much bigger scale and everything really, it's not like we are talking about an average looking game, it looks incredible and it's so much more impressive than TO it's not even a contest.

After the 60fps switcharoo from ND I am super sceptical of the overall performance of this demo. Who knows what it was running on.

Looks nice though. I hope the final game looks this good and runs that smooth.

I'm starting to think ND might be getting too good/big for Sony to handle. what is the possibility that they go third party like Bungie did?

lol.

I'm starting to think ND might be getting too good/big for Sony to handle. what is the possibility that they go third party like Bungie did?

bombshell

After the 60fps switcharoo from ND I am super sceptical of the overall performance of this demo. Who knows what it was running on.

It was a live demo. The roots of them targeting 60 fps for some time is evident in the near locked 30 fps ~9 months from release. They are still targeting 60 fps for the MP, so it's not like they've completely given up on such a target, only for the set-piece heavy SP.

Soi-Fong

Sony isn't locking down ND from creating other IP's. Big difference w/ Bungie where MS wanted to make them a Halo studio.

ND wanted to create TLOU and Sony let them. MS in the same situation would have not.

pottuvoi

Banned
No one can confirm that yet for the whole game, but at leats the cave part has dynmaic GI.
Adding dynamic GI on top of the baked layer of GI is easy, just handle it as an additional 'lightsource' and it works.
TLoU used reflective shadow maps and lowres buffer for bounced light and composite pass, really hope they will use something more refined in U4.

Ricky_R

Mmmm, love me some well implemented motion blur.

I can't wait to see what ND has in store for us with Uncharted 4.

Sony owns the studio so there are only two possible, but unlikely scenarios: 1) Sony allows them to buy their studio back 2) The higher ups and most of their top talent leave ND to form their own studio.

Both are far fetched for the time being.

Adding dynamic GI on top of the baked layer of GI is easy, just handle it as an additional 'lightsource' and it works.
TLoU used reflective shadow maps and lowres buffer for bounced light and composite pass, really hope they will use something more refined in U4.

Yeah. I agree.

Anyone can guess the exact release date of Uncharted 4? Normally Uncharted games get released around November while GOW games around March. If they plan for an October or November 2016 release, the game should be the most polished game ever made.

Shin-Ra

In the PSX demo there wasn't much of a noticeable low-res haze from the reflected torchlight in the caves.

Anyone can guess the exact release date of Uncharted 4? Normally Uncharted games get released around November while GOW games around March. If they plan for an October or November 2016 release, the game should be the most polished game ever made.

Q1 2016, so between January 1st and March 31st.

hesido

lol.

I love it when people think Naughty Dog is keeping a working PC build just to deceive people at E3, unless you imply that it might be running on multiple PS4's (if not for running on PC's)

is confirmed Q1 2016
so not beyond march

edit. damnit

bombshell

It was delayed from its normal October-November holiday slot to "Spring 2016", although at E3 it was a generic "2016", whatever that means.

EGM1966

Seems unlikely. Obviously the key people can leave and set up a new studio anytime they want, or they could attempt to "buy out" the ND studio name. But...

They seem to have creative freedom, are essentially the premier Sony 1st party studio, are very successful but with the safety net of Sony behind them and ultimately they're focus is console and they work on the console that 3 out of 4 generations was the market leader.

So nah I don't see them trying to part ways anytime soon.

stryke

One technical article on Uncharted and then all of the sudden there's concern of ND leaving Sony?

If Wells/Balestra seriously said "we want to go third party" I'm pretty sure Shuhei and Andrew would tell them to take a hike.

ShamePain

Banned

Bungie bailed out because they weren't allowed to make anything other than Halo. So they went to Activision to make a crappy Halo-Borderlands MMO. ND is in a very different position.

The only thing that disappointed me was the water splash effect when the car went through it.
This was my reaction when I saw the water coming up:
pP0d3it.gif

Uncharted 4 goes much further than any PS4 or Xbox One game we've seen in its use of physics, and the layering of world detail with shaders. Opening at the gates of a bustling Madagascan marketplace, what unfolds is unlike any major title seen on console to date.

I always dislike it when they leave out PC in these statements. UC4 also tops everything on PC.

Alo0oy

Banned

Naughty Dog is very happy with their current situation, they get creative freedom & they get big marketing campaigns from Sony. Do you think UC3 would have sold 10+ million or TLOU 8+ million without big marketing campaigns from Sony, even if the games were multiplat?

95% of third party multiplatform games sell worse than ND's games, multiplatform doesn't automatically mean better sales or more creative freedom, if ND worked with Activision they'd be an Uncharted factory.

VanWinkle

LOL, this is ridiculous. You can clearly see that there's AF in the demo. You don't have to be told by someone that there is. You can just look at it.

Top Bottom