• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One rep system being abused like we all knew it would.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Nice video on the subject.

This should really be no shock to anyone but something needs to be done, so here we are.

When Microsoft announced their revamped rep system, at first I was mildly interested but that quickly diminished because I knew it would be heavily abused.

Microsoft should have learnt from the 360 rep system, players avoid for nothing more than losing a game. I myself have about 90% avoid on 360 when I avoided talking to random players or even interacting with them beyond standard matchmaking gameplay. It was virtually all for winning games.

Microsoft really need to simply ditch the system that prevents players from matching other players. Rep is fine as it is generally ignored anyway but making it hard, if not near impossible for players to get games is wrong. It's a broken system.

In other shocking news, MCC really is that broken still...

Tenebrous

Good players getting negative rep from bad players, practically forcing them to play something else? That is a whole new level of ridiculous.

Wow. This is really insane. The rep thing is super toxic to the Xbox Live community as a whole.

So all it takes is a group of shitty people to block you, and you cant play matchmaking?

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Good players getting negative rep from bad players, practically forcing them to play something else? That is a whole new level of ridiculous.

The bigger problem is being able to block players who did nothing other than beat you at a video game. Rep can be largely ignored.

Dodging: "It's for when players get a map or game type they don't like"

What's the issue here?

I personally use it all the time to avoid playing ARs/SMGs or Halo 4 all the time, doesn't mean it should even be a thing though.

EBE

rep works? ive only ever seen people with GOOD and the little green bar doesnt go all the way. or is this something else. this looks like something else.

The issue shown has literally nothing to do with Halo, yet OP is jumping on the wagon and starting trash talk against it.

What are you even talking about? The OP wrote several paragraphs of which only 1 sentence has anything to do with Halo. He even put it in spoilers and preferenced it by saying it was a side note. Also how was he jumping on a band wagon? MCC is broken and deserves all the hate it gets for it.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
The issue shown has literally nothing to do with Halo, yet OP is jumping on the wagon and starting trash talk against it.

Nice strawman.

Main topic is about the rep system and it just so happens to be affecting MCC more than any other game.

And is pointing out how MCC is still broken 9 months(?) after release a crime now is it?

He brought it up at the end. Sorry he was posting a fact. The game is litterally patched with a bunch of band aids. We haven't gotten a patch in 2 months now, and haven't even gotten a hint of news on a new patch. All they care about at the moment is Halo 5.

My reputation is in good standing but I had no idea you can be temporarily banned from Xbox LIVE. I remember back in the early days of Xbox 360, I would get random messages from people saying "Hey guys, please go to [insert gamertag] and bad rep them".

Cynn

It's always been broken. I had perfect rep from the 360 launch until BF3 came out and I became a world ranked player. From that point on people would file reports against me for dominating games. I'd get extremely toxic messages, voice messages and of course people flat out telling me they were reporting me as "punishment".

Life got busy, I went to other games that I was merely average at and like magic, all reporting stopped.

Moral of the story: If you ever win a game, you cheated the loser in some way. No exceptions.

He brought it up at the end. Sorry he was posting a fact. The game is litterally patched with a bunch of band aids. We haven't gotten a patch in 2 months now, and haven't even gotten a hint of news on a new patch. All they care about at the moment is Halo 5.

The video is showing how a rep system is abused, using MCC as an example to show it's done. This has nothing to do with MCC. Others are also right, he wrote a few good points, but just because the dig was one line and spoiler tagged doesn't make it anything different. It was just asking to go off topic.

Also, having been regularly playing MCC for a while now, it isn't broken at all.

Back on topic, the rep system does definitely need adjusting. I also hope the partys "leave game" option is tweaked to only allow it if its possible in the game itself (as it wouldn't be at that point in the game) so hopefully a revamp along with W10.

Drencrom

The fuck, it's still like this? I thought they revamped the rep system years ago.

What an awful system, complete failure if it forces good players to leave a game because a bunch of children are salty.

It's always been broken. I had perfect rep from the 360 launch until BF3 came out and I became a world ranked player. From that point on people would file reports against me for dominating games. I'd get extremely toxic messages, voice messages and of course people flat out telling me they were reporting me as "punishment".

Life got busy, I went to other games that I was merely average at and like magic, all reporting stopped.

Moral of the story: If you ever win a game, you cheated the loser in some way. No exceptions.

Just horrible, I feel for you.

fedexpeon

Banned
So predictable.
Riot tried this and failed so hard.
Bad players are bad for a reason.
They have an inferior complex personality and rather troll/fake report people to get other people ban so they can feel better about themselves.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
So predictable.
Riot tried this and failed so hard.
Bad players are bad for a reason.
They have an inferior complex personality and rather troll/fake report people to get other people ban so they can feel better about themselves.

Nothing worse than mediocre players who think they are really good. They always get so salty about losing.

Giving them such powerful tools is never a good idea.

Madness

There is nothing wrong with a rating system. Let's be honest for 90% of people there won't be a concerted effort to down rank them. I do know for Xbox 360, most of my negative rating came from the 'try hard' option or took the game seriously or whatever it was. People do lie however.

I agree though that the system could probably be abused. But they probably have mechanisms built in to stop it. I think it's stupid though to ban someone from multi-player because of the ratings, or prevent them from searching others.

Welfare

MCC has implemented a system to where if you quit enough, your Rep goes down. Dodging completely bybasses this, which is also a problem.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
The video is showing how a rep system is abused, using MCC as an example to show it's done. This has nothing to do with MCC. Others are also right, he wrote a few good points, but just because the dig was one line and spoiler tagged doesn't make it anything different. It was just asking to go off topic.

Also, having been regularly playing MCC for a while now, it isn't broken at all.

Back on topic, the rep system does definitely need adjusting. I also hope the partys "leave game" option is tweaked to only allow it if its possible in the game itself (as it wouldn't be at that point in the game) so hopefully a revamp along with W10.

He had to use a game as an example, it had to be SOME game. He can't just do it on the dashboard or something.

When I had my 360 I mainly played Blops 2 online and I never checked my rep for a long time but when I did I was suprised to see that my rep was getting trashed despite never trolling or being abusive. I was great at that game and that meant spiteful people just want to get back at you in whatever way they can.

I used to get messages from people saying they are reporting me for hacking the game or having a lag switch. Others would just call me a hacking faggot.

Booshka

Bad kids shouldn't have this kind of influence. If anything, their salty reports should just lower their rank so they can play against worse players.

In other shocking news, MCC really is that broken still...

Wow are you kidding me? I play every night with a crew of three throughout a lot of the playlists and I'm finding games in about a min on average. It's no slower now since June for me then any other Halo's MM. Maybe there's something wrong on your end.

Also I doubt I'll see any significant negative affects from the rating system being abused.

Alx

rep works? ive only ever seen people with GOOD and the little green bar doesnt go all the way. or is this something else. this looks like something else.

I was wondering the same thing. I always got the impression everybody had the same rep, "good".

Forsythia

Having a server browser in the game would help. I never understood matchmaking.

And I get people want to block people that are just much better (you shouldn't be matched with them in the first place), but there should be an option like on Xbox 360, where you could just flag a player as too good. That way you wouldn't be matched with them, but it wouldn't effect their reputation. Why they changed this, I really don't know.

And no, I'm not talking about people being better than you in general, I'm talking about the one guy in the game with 100 kills and everybody else with just 10. That's shitty matchmaking.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Having a server browser in the game would help. I never understood matchmaking.

And I get people want to block people that are just much better (you shouldn't be matched with them in the first place), but there should be an option like on Xbox 360, where you could just flag a player as too good. That way you wouldn't be matched with them, but it wouldn't effect their reputation. Why they changed this, I really don't know.

And no, I'm not talking about people being better than you in general, I'm talking about the one guy in the game with 100 kills and everybody else with just 10. That's shitty matchmaking.

Server browsers have their own problems. Such as Noshrar canals 500 tdm x100 and still rife with hilariously mismatched games and stacked teams.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Slightly off topic, but fuck im good at halo 3 and im not even sure why

It's because most people playing Halo 3 are bad. :p

Anyways, I've always had a terrible rep in 360, IDK what I have in X1. No problems getting in good games though.

I will say quitting/botting shouldnt effect your matchmaking. So many variables. Last night I was booted because I betrayed someone in Halo 3. I betrayed them because them and their guest followed me around shooting me and would stop when they popped my shield to avoid a betrayal, but still frustrate me. I shouldnt be penalized for that shit.

The salt is real in Xbox land. After failing to get me to admit that I was cheating in MW3 in the post match lobby, this dude decided to send me a whole bunch of voice messages on top of it, lol.

I don't completely remember the game, but I know he was playing with a few friends, it was TDM, I was solo on the other side, and we were losing by a little bit while I was playing pretty casually and I kicked it into try-hard mode probably with a Type 95 and turned the game around.

But funny this rep thing should pop up here, just the other day I got this message from Xbox Live:

Due to negative feedback from the community, your reputation has fallen to Needs Work. Try to be friendlier on Xbox Live.

Not too hard to figure out why I guess, it wasn't long after a series of Battlefield Hardline games where I was getting 60-80 kills and 2-8 deaths in helicopters.

If anything the XBL message is inspiring me to go even more HAM on fools in that game. And to not tolerate any buffoonery when it comes to my teammates. You spawn on the chopper with me and you start firing the gun for no reason at our spawn? Then we're going nowhere. And if you don't leave I'll slam the chopper into the ground, killing us, and just wait for the next spawn. I have more patience than you, scrub.

geordiemp

I remember the negs I used to get on 360 if I did well at COD - I never used a mic or sent messages and played solo. So it cannot of been what I said or typed...

But I still got something like 60 % of people avoided me. Too many salty kids if you play allot of PVP, especially COD and are good at it....

I saw the new way of doing rep etc on XB1, and to me it was another nail in the MS stupidity coffin to go with Kinect and watercoolers, no 3.5 mm earphone jack and DDR3.

Are some at MS that naive ?

Honestly, the concept is just beyond stupid in a day and age of competitive multiplayer games.

I guess the only way to get it higher is to play coop games - play some minecraft OP and help people build castles...LOL

barit

I thought the simplest solution to this would be to only allow positive reputation for every player. No abuse possible if you can only vote thumbs up for good play.

They should only allow negatives to be given if you were matched with someone as a teammate.

Players who have only matched as an opponent shouldn't be allowed to affect your reputation.

geordiemp

I thought the simplest solution to this would be to only allow positive reputation for every player. No abuse possible if you can only vote thumbs up for good play.

Thats far too an intelligent and thoughtful response...

They should only allow negatives to be given if you were matched with someone as a teammate.

Players who have only matched as an opponent shouldn't be allowed to affect your reputation.

And even better.

There must be a very big overlap between those salty losers and the bad players from that study who would lash out against female players because they don't want to sink down further in the social hierarchy.

Why would you ever think of such a system or worse, leave it be after you learned about its shortcomings?

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
But I still got something like 60 % of people avoided me. Too many salty kids if you play allot of PVP, especially COD and are good at it....

My main poisen was Halo Reach BTB.

1 legit loss in 400+ games.

I guess the only way to get it higher is to play coop games - play some minecraft OP and help people build castles...LOL

Haha, not as good as I used to be so this isn't affecting me as much as it does others. That said, kids don't like losing to dinos.

Then people would neg their whole team when they lost.

Pretty much the same situation.

What's wrong with blocking people who are on another league? The whole point is to play against competitively matched players. Not have these shitty lopsided games all the time.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
What's wrong with blocking people who are on another league? The whole point is to play against competitively matched players. Not have these shitty lopsided games all the time.

The fact that it's done in playlists that are already ranked and matching you with similarly skilled players?

geordiemp

I didnt realise that people actually use this.
I've never paid any attention to it at all.

It was shitty on 360...and although I dont have an XB1 it looks an even worse implementation.

I played multiplayer solo for years on 360, never sent a message or spoke to anyone, just played online with my son who also had a 360. The rep system was crap and really annoyed me, as did the abusive kid messages if you killed them lots.

You got rep for cheating, abusive language...you name it ...I did not even use a mic lol and just played the game normally with my son.

Its only when I moved to Ps4 and played Destiny I became more social...with ~ 300 friend list and 2 clans...and maybe had 2 jerky emails but not too offensive and no negs...because you cannot neg other players in a rep system = because there is not one. You can report them for cheating or abuse to sony...but their is no rep system at all. Thank god.

Top Bottom