• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One rep system being abused like we all knew it would.

aaaaa0

You would think that if a player habitually negs people, their negs end up weighted less in the calculation of reps.

Which would basically render negs from people that are poor losers irrelevant.

geordiemp

You would think that if a player habitually negs people, their negs end up weighted less in the calculation of reps.

its still conceptually stupid.

Play allot of coop Destiny and minecraft = you are a nice player. Cuddles.

Play allot of COD multiplayer = you are a jerk. Hate..

Pretty obvious to anyone with some reasoning, and not very clever system is it ?

Damn Halo just can't get a break...Back on topic, I actually didn't know the rep system still existed. I had terrible rep in the 360 days, those kids fucking hated me for destroying them in some Halo 3 MM..

EvB

Just like the 360 report system it is a little bit pointless as people don't leave good feedback so you can't build up any kind of credit.

People throw their toys out of the Pram for the tiniest thing .

Kill a player too many times in Halo?
Negged for winning

Hold a power weapon? Sniper noob
Negged

Brush a car in Forza?
Negged

Too good?
Negged

Not good enough?
Negged

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
You can get temp bans from having a low rating? Get the fuck out of here. Get rid of this altogether if it is so busted.

Akai__

Source 1: http://news.xbox.com/2014/03/xbox-one-leveling-up-reputation

Remember, we designed the algorithm so it won’t penalize you for bad reports over a few weeks of play. The system also adjusts for false reports from people that might intentionally report someone of greater skill or for other griefing purposes.

At the end of the day, our goal is to match you with other gamers you’ll enjoy, and create the best gaming community online. Visit the Xbox Live Policy and Enforcement page for more details on the Xbox One reputation system.

Source 2: http://news.xbox.com/2013/07/games-reputation-feature

The algorithm is sophisticated and won’t penalize you for a few bad reports. Even good players might receive a few player feedback reports each month and that is OK. The algorithm weighs the data collected so if a dozen people suddenly reporting a single user, the system will look at a variety of factors before docking their reputation. We’ll verify if those people actually played in an online game with the person reported – if not, all of those player’s feedback won’t matter as much as a single person who spent 15 minutes playing with the reported person. The system also looks at the reputation of the person reporting and the alleged offender, frequency of reports from a single user and a number of other factors.

This system will continue to evolve and get better as we track the feedback we get from players and titles, plus add more consequences for the jerks. It also helps us match you with other gamers like you. Of course, the system will be as good as you make it, so all you need to do is report the players that are abusive, cheating or causing mayhem and their reputation will reflect that. Thank you for helping us continue to make Xbox Live a place we all love. Our team and I built this for all of you and we hope you like it!

Works like a charm... Was the case on the Xbox 360 and still is on the Xbox One. Punishing people because they are better than others is just awesome.

The question is how do they fix this issue? Wouldn't it be fixed, if the players received good feedback automatically, if they are not reported in a certain time frame?

Damn Halo just can't get a break...Back on topic, I actually didn't know the rep system still existed. I had terrible rep in the 360 days, those kids fucking hated me for destroying them in some Halo 3 MM..

I was not destroying people by any means, but I was average and still have a 90% avoid you REP on the 360. I don't even know how that should work, because I came across millions of players probably and 900k reported me? Seems pretty unlikely.

We all know that people, when they give feedback, don't ever give good feedback. When they use the system, they only give bad feedback.

EvB

You can get temp bans from having a low rating? Get the fuck out of here. Get rid of this altogether if it is so busted.

From Halo, I'm guessing.

This has always been an issue with Halo and no doubt plenty of other games, people want to win and want to have the biggest number next to their name whether they are good enough or not. It was one of the key reasons for ditching rank in Reach and Halo 4.

Basically people are dicks and don't give a shit about what they do and he it affects other people. We also know that these sale types of people are malicious (look at the swatting phenomenon).

So what can a developer do, I think when it comes to Halo 343/Bungie could never win on this front. You will have people they ruin the matchmaking system by exploiting it no matter.

My main poisen was Halo Reach BTB.

1 legit loss in 400+ games.

Haha, not as good as I used to be so this isn't affecting me as much as it does others. That said, kids don't like losing to dinos.

Then people would neg their whole team when they lost.

Pretty much the same situation.

I don't think it'd happen unless you were being a shit player or teamkilling or just being a pain in the ass.

This is the way to handle it. The more general solution is to attach some kind of cost to negatively rating a player. That way the player has to decide if it is really worth it. As you suggested diluting your vote is one way to handle it. Another is to simply only allow a gamer a limited number of negative votes. Still another way to do this would be to also lower the reputation of the gamer giving the low score a little bit. If someone was truely anoying to play with then taking sush a hit would be worth it.

All of these suggestions would make these negative ratings more meaningfull so the system would have an easier time identifying the truely bad players.

However as a general rule I don't have a problem with players being able to indicate that they don't want to play with another player because of a difference in skill level. After all that is what a skill ranking ststem should do. So I would applaud a seperate system that would allow a player to indicate that they didn't want to play with another due to a skill imbalance. Such a system should come with some limitations. First, that such an indication is mearly a request, not absolute. Such a request would be used as another data point in the matching algorithm. Second is that the game should check for objective measures of skill imbalance such as extremeley high kill to death ratios to approve such a request. Third that such a system have nothing to do with a reputation system or banning.

Z O N E

This is why we can't have nice things.

MS' rep system is awesome anyone who abuses it is to blame.

The rep system is beyond broken.

My friend went from green rep to orange rep in about 8 hours... and hey, he only got to green rep a day before that from red rep.

The worst part of all... it takes about 2 weeks on average to get from red rep back to green...

tuna_love

Banned
I'm sitting at around 3 quarters good rank so maybe I'm not as good at halo 3 as I thought :(
Whole system seems pretty pointless if any cunt can just give bad rep to anyone.

Three

The rep system is beyond broken.

My friend went from green rep to orange rep in about 8 hours... and hey, he only got to green rep a day before that from red rep.

The worst part of all... it takes about 2 weeks on average to get from red rep back to green...

I suppose it really could do with some tweaks to stop this but it's absolutely annoying when people abuse a system that's designed to help people. Screws over everybody and everyone pays for it in the end. Same thing happened with game sharing.

Storm360

The rep system is meaningless to me. I've been pretty much 100% avoided since the start of the 360.

Beat someone in Halo? Bad rep, and I have a ton from rhythm games, me and a friend used to play a lot of Guitar Hero pro face off online and whenever wed play with randoms, we would end up with negative rep, I also have had negative rep because I refuse to play with people without DLC

Maximus P

System needs an overhaul.

You'd think with the new feature that allows us to record the last 30 seconds of gameplay they'd have some sort of system in place that would allow us to send clips with our reports to show proof of cheating,glitching or abuse.

I don't see why we need to have our rep on show, it's completely pointless and proves nothing at this point.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
System needs an overhaul.

You'd think with the new feature that allows us to record the last 30 seconds of gameplay they'd have some sort of system in place that would allow us to send clips with our reports to show proof of cheating,glitching or abuse.

I don't see why we need to have our rep on show, it's completely pointless and proves nothing at this point.

Unfortunately who would want to sift through piles and piles of lag and lucky shots to find the actual cheaters?

Chucker

My rep is 100%, but I was kicked out of the preview program two days ago from an infraction that happened New Years Eve, and wasn't even my fault.

I was playing JackBox for a party, and streaming so people could join in. Somebody with a foul name joined while I was tending to my party and I was reported.

Enforcement doesn't care (They have bigger things to deal with I guess), but it's a bummer.

its still conceptually stupid.

Play allot of coop Destiny and minecraft = you are a nice player. Cuddles.

Play allot of COD multiplayer = you are a jerk. Hate..

Pretty obvious to anyone with some reasoning, and not very clever system is it ?

This is not really true I play tons of cod always have over a 2kd in every game and never get negative rep. I do avoid bad players and those lacking skill on my team. Sometimes I will also avoid people with out a mic. I actually forgot this still existed on the xbone it's a non issue for most people.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Whoa you can get banned because you are good at a video game and people try to avoid you?
Shit man, after i played CoD MW2 and was constant in the top3-4 in matches (x360) my rep went down there as well as people wanted to avoid me, and even more so in Halo 3 MP. However the rep there didn't affect much at all, but this? Good grief.

Terrell

This is something that happens with any user-moderated system that involves little to no oversight from an outside party. That it was ever propped up as a good thing seems ridiculous to me.

There's literally no point to a reputation system if it's not accurately measuring your conduct in games instead of being merely a popularity-by-committee measure used mostly by angry gamers.

For the amount of money Microsoft makes from XBL, expecting users to moderate themselves is just penny-pinching in the highest order and part of what has led to the most revolting aspects of using XBL in totality.

New002

Yeah the rep system is pretty pointless. They should really do away with it. Back when SFIV came out I started getting negative feedback pretty frequently. I wasn't even that good -_-

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
What are you even talking about? The OP wrote several paragraphs of which only 1 sentence has anything to do with Halo. He even put it in spoilers and preferenced it by saying it was a side note. Also how was he jumping on a band wagon? MCC is broken and deserves all the hate it gets for it.

Yeah, only that its not still broken. It has been working properly for months. The only reason people think it's not working is people keep spewing hate about it.

What are you even talking about? The OP wrote several paragraphs of which only 1 sentence has anything to do with Halo. He even put it in spoilers and preferenced it by saying it was a side note. Also how was he jumping on a band wagon? MCC is broken and deserves all the hate it gets for it.
It's fixed now though.

Trup1aya

I'm can't blame MS for trying to allow their customers the ability to filter their online experience... I can't agree with folks who say a system like this shouldnt exist at all... Im sure that players who truly are foul DO receive bad rep and ARE isolated from the population, as intended. It probably works just fine for the vast majority of players.

The only problem is that the algorithm can't truly determine someone's true motives behind giving bad rep. To compensate for this, it assumes that respectful players who are highly skilled will only get 'a few' bad reports monthly... At the extreme fringes of playtime and skill, this isn't the true... There just needs to be manual intervention in these scenarios to verify claims and scrub false reports from players who don't deserve them.

Akai__

guys.. you can just block anyone other than your friends from sending you messages in the privacy options menu on xbone.

What has this to do with anything?

I got a 1 day ban on my account due to receiving negative ratings in mcc.
What a stupid system.

Any more info on this? I'm assuming you just played normally and got false reported, but a 1 day ban isn't something that you should get so easily, is it? Just so sad to see stuff like this happening.

Also, I love how people can get banned by people abusing the system. Meanwhile, idiots who betray you over weapons or are just jumping down from the maps are still allowed to play. Terrible system.

Who actually takes the time out of their day to leave positive rep? I know I never have.

No one. This is why there should be an automatic positive feedback system after each match. If <insert time here> have passed and the player didn't receive any negative feedback, give him automatically positive feedback.

BokehKing

Banned
What has this to do with anything?

Any more info on this? I'm assuming you just played normally and got false reported, but a 1 day ban isn't something that you should get so easily, is it? Just so sad to see stuff like this happening.

Also, I love how people can get banned by people abusing the system. Meanwhile, idiots who betray you over weapons or are just jumping down from the maps are still allowed to play. Terrible system.
Terrible system? Or is it a terrible option to allow the possibility to kill your own team mates in games.

Akai__

Terrible system? Or is it a terrible option to allow the possibility to kill your own team mates in games.

Friendly Fire off is terrible in competetive Halo gamemodes. Halo 5 Beta was a good example. People would just throw grenades/shoot their Rockets into your direction to get a kill on the enemy you are fighting with. If it's turned on, it raises more awareness of what's going on.

I'm fine with it being disabled in BTB or in the new Warzone mode, but not in 4vs4 modes.

BokehKing

Banned
Friendly Fire off is terrible in competetive Halo gamemodes. Halo 5 Beta was a good example. People would just throw grenades/shoot their Rockets into your direction to get a kill on the enemy you are fighting with. If it's turned on, it raises more awareness of what's going on.

I'm fine with it being disabled in BTB or in the new Warzone mode, but not in 4vs4 modes.
You also want a resurgence in the series, which will bring in casuals, which will bring in the game play you saw in the beta, can't blame people who are use to playing like that over the last 10 years. You can't be reporting people for that imo

"I myself have about 90% avoid on 360 when I avoided talking to random players or even interacting with them"
Erm that could be why they avoided u, some people hate playing with people who dont talk

HelloMeow

It's always been broken. I had perfect rep from the 360 launch until BF3 came out and I became a world ranked player. From that point on people would file reports against me for dominating games. I'd get extremely toxic messages, voice messages and of course people flat out telling me they were reporting me as "punishment".

Life got busy, I went to other games that I was merely average at and like magic, all reporting stopped.

Moral of the story: If you ever win a game, you cheated the loser in some way. No exceptions.

I used to have a 92% avoid rate on the 360. Got tons of hate mail too. BF3 was especially fun with the player rented servers.

I don't think the rep system made a difference on 360. My avoid rate was like a trophy. When I heard how they were going to make it more important on the xbone, it was just one more thing to add to the list of reasons to not buy it.

Bgamer90

Banned
Yeah, it's very poorly implemented.

Now that consoles can record gameplay footage, maybe we'll see that tie in to rep in the future; A video proof requirement before sending someone bad rep so MS can check and confirm.

Akai__

You also want a resurgence in the series, which will bring in casuals, which will bring in the game play you saw in the beta, can't blame people who are use to playing like that over the last 10 years. You can't be reporting people for that imo

lol what? There's a difference between somebody betraying you ocasionally (not intentional) and somebody betraying you over a power weapon or because it's fun. Take a look:

nyP6vDp.png
This is from 2 of my matches on the same day. But I guess it's fun!!!

Besides that, we never had Friendly Fire disabled in Halo, until Halo 4 Infinity settings. There's no such thing as resurgence, in terms of Friendly Fire being disabled. Halo 5 will have Friendly Fire in 4vs4 gametypes.

This is why games just need real servers with admins. The community will police itself, players wh like being pricks go to the prick friendly server, and if they go to a nomal server the admin bans them. Any bad admins will find their server empty after they abuse the power too much.

Noobcraft

When I played black ops with my friends on 360 I know a lot of people abused the rep system. I looked at the rundown of what other people blocked me for and it was mostly mic communication, but I almost never used my mic, and when I did it was in a party with friends.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
My reputation is in good standing but I had no idea you can be temporarily banned from Xbox LIVE. I remember back in the early days of Xbox 360, I would get random messages from people saying "Hey guys, please go to [insert gamertag] and bad rep them".

I remember people would do that in order to get a free xbox name change. Since changing you gamertag cost like £6 or whatever, if enough people reported your gamertag, then Microsoft would not even look at it and just automatically invalidate the gamertag and make you choose a new one, essentially giving you a free name change.

Top Bottom