• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Calendar app coming to PS4? (Potentially leaked from Journey theme)

Vashetti

Banned
p1dfloD.jpg

HXil8fP.jpg

This is from the screenshots of the Journey dynamic theme on the PS Store.

https://twitter.com/justryanc/status/623311807235670016
https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/3e0s5i/calendar_app_coming_to_ps4/

RanoNL

I'm curious what it will be. Just a calendar app doesn't make any sense. Maybe for game releases, clan plays etc.?

FranXico

Took me a bit to find the icon, but there it is.

If it makes it easy for people to schedule multiplayer sessions with PSN friends, great.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
If it makes it easy for people to schedule multiplayer sessions with PSN friends, great.
Based on how they handled "What's New" they will probably sell spots for advertising before they actually add useful functionality.

Omikaru

Vita has one, so this doesn't surprise me. I actually find it quite useful on Vita (I use it to arrange game times with friends, since we're all busy with our lives), so having it on PS4 too would be neat.

If it's like the one on Vita, it's basically just a calendar app that will send system notifications when it has an alert. It will sync with Google Calendar if you wish, or work offline, and functions like pretty much any other calendar app. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Sony adds their own events to it, such as game releases, times for their press events, and so on.

Jonnax

I'm curious what it will be. Just a calendar app doesn't make any sense. Maybe for game releases, clan plays etc.?

Game release calendar would be amazing.
Track release dates with notifications when it's available to buy.

eFKac

Hmm come to think about it, I might find a few uses for it.

I'm afraid it's gonna be heavily used for advertising though, but we'll see.

hesido

On first thought, why. On second thought, could be nice for arranging multiplayer meetings and keeping track of releases (if Sony handles that well)

Stike

Vita has one, so this doesn't surprise me. I actually find it quite useful on Vita (I use it to arrange game times with friends, since we're all busy with our lives), so having it on PS4 too would be neat.

If it's like the one on Vita, it's basically just a calendar app that will send system notifications when it has an alert. It will sync with Google Calendar if you wish, or work offline, and functions like pretty much any other calendar app. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Sony adds their own events to it, such as game releases, times for their press events, and so on.

Game release calendar would be amazing.
Track release dates with notifications when it's available to buy.
C) All of the above. Please.

I was asking for a calendar to schedule multiplayer sessions about a month ago. If they add in release dates on a release calendar you can subscribe to, it only adds a cool feature.

Can't wait for this firmware to come out!

FranXico

Based on how they handled "What's New" they will probably sell spots for advertising before they actually add useful functionality.

I can tolerate the ads, as long I can use the calendar to my own ends as well.

The one thing that annoys me about "What's New" is that it isn't a real social feed, I can only "like" activities, but can't comment on them (something that is possible on the Vita).

I would have thought they'd prioritise the organisation of the system UI itself before our own personal organisation. The fact we can't have folders or Netflix on the main screen instead of scrolling through fifteen sodding video apps is unacceptable.

Is this needed ?

I guess a game calendar with releases, giving notifications would be nice and multiplayer sessions planned but if its just a basic calendar app then I don't see the point.

FranXico

I would have thought they'd prioritise the organisation of the system UI itself before our own personal organisation. The fact we can't have folders or Netflix on the main screen instead of scrolling through fifteen sodding video apps is unacceptable.

This.

If they can't bring us folders (can't fathom why not, but anyway), then at least let us pin our favorite apps/games to the home screen. A great feature that the X1 has had since launch.

Ogawa-san

I thought for sure we'd have an official game release calendar when the Vita got its app. Nope.

This one seems to be more than a regular app so there's hope, I guess.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

My Netflix app is right on top. Top row is Amazon, Netflix, Hulu Plus, PlayStation Vue in that order. Weird.

They did say they were working on folders and better user customizations.

As for the OP, probably an events calendar like on the phone app, but I am hoping for something more like the clan, and other events people who suggesting.

mf.luder

Sales, DLC launches, game releases, community events, beta dates.

Hopefully you're able to customize and filter things because I'm worried it'll just become a billboard.

Shin-Ra

I hope they've fixed how the small blue friends dot (and now flag) icons scale down when the top row isn't highlighted. Looks messy.

stryke

Which icon is supposed to be the calendar one ? It's not too obvious to me...

It's in the top row next to the friends list icon. It threw me off as well because OP labelled it as an app when really it seems to be a system level feature.

DryvBy

All of that would be good. Releases and schedules. We use schedules on Steam just so we can tell each other what our small group wants to play.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Maybe it's a game log, similar to what 3DS and Wii U have.

That smaller flag icon with a number next to it suggests it will be primarily used for notifications.

It could serve both functions. Show older dates to see your playtime that day, sort it by game overall and by gametime per month. Show upcoming dates to show events coming up.

Top Bottom