• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Debunked: Arrowhead has been acquired by Sony. Announcement coming soon

JaksGhost

Magicka, maybe? It was a great game, very creative and fun. But they've made 5 games total, Helldivers 2 being their biggest hit. It's probably a better purchase than Bungie, but still. Doesn't seem worth it. I could see Sony wanting to purchase Helldivers as an IP, but not the studio.

Sure, but seems out of the realm of possibility considering Helldivers 1 wasn't even a blip on the radar.
Sony already owns the Helldivers IP.

Last edited:

Krieger

Sony: Acquires the studio which released one of the most popular multiplayer games this year
Meanwhile Microsoft:
spongebob-xbox.jpg

Puscifer

I love me some DRG, and I'd say this is the most fun co-op game I've played since then. It's not really doing anything super special by any means, but it just does a bunch of things pretty well. Guns feel great to shoot, animations are awesome, once you get to 6-9 difficulties, the chaos is really challenging, it always manages to have this skin-of-your-teeth extractions. I dunno, I think it's great, but I don't think I'd enjoy it as much if I couldn't or didn't play it with my friends or acquaintances. If none of the people I know are online to play it, I'll just continue on with my Half-Life series replay as of right now. I've not had a bad time with random groups, but it's not nearly on the same level as playing with regular people.

Are you embracing the social aspect at all? Using your mic? Planning out stratagems?
If you're up for Co op DM me, I'd be willing to give it a go with someone who really knows

midnightAI

Imagine being so greedy you let yourself get acquired by a publisher that just shut down a studio and laid off half the people at another one they had acquired a year ago.

the owner just wanted a fat check. these people dont really want to make games.
Honestly, you should not be allowed to buy new studios after laying off close to a thousand people and shutting down other studios. There should be laws against treating people like cattle. If you cant afford to buy something, you cant go around selling your kids, so why are employees fair game?
Bit of a knee jerk reaction to a rumour isnt it?

skit_data

Would be pretty bizarre if the Haven game bombs big time and they end up owning them and not Arrowhead who delivered big time.

clarky

Gold Member
This post makes no sense. Aloys design has literally less than nothing to do with the Decima engine.
Twas a joke mate. Jesus lighten up.

Aloys design was literally born in the decima engine btw, so it has everything to do with it.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Honestly, you should not be allowed to buy new studios after laying off close to a thousand people and shutting down other studios. There should be laws against treating people like cattle. If you cant afford to buy something, you cant go around selling your kids, so why are employees fair game?
Have you been looking at the current environment? If this was the case, nobody could buy a privately owned company right now. This also assumes that any company being purchased can afford to stay open without the help. I am not saying that would be the case here, but if you have this law you have to apply it equally.

Why can’t Microsoft grow organically like Sony does?
I'm not sure what to make of this comment. Loads of Activision and Bethesda games have come on Microsoft platforms, especially with mod support in some bethesda titles. Is that not organic?

Or are we saying Microsoft should have made loads of exclusive contracts with these publishers before moving into acquisition?

Like it sounds good, what you said, I just don't at all understand what would actually need to be done for a massive publisher acquisition to feel 'organic'

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Probably not real.

In my stupid brain's opinion, I don't know if it would be a good purchase. Sony already owns the Helldivers IP and would only buy the studio's talent. I have been enjoying Helldivers II but won't say it does anything that makes me go "Only Arrowhead could have pulled this off". Arrowhead has made 3 smallish games since 2014 and would need to show Sony some really cool things in the pipeline to be even considered for aquizition.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I know. Imagine if Sony acquired their biggest studios like Naughty Dog, Guerilla, and Insomniac...

5d6c11e3732eb0271164766396a6be97.jpg
Not sure if he was being sarcastic, but isn't the idea that Sony is acquiring devs that they have worked with, in some cases over many years, as opposed to MS just buying studios out there like they are at Costco?

The only notable exception to this is Bungie, and, well, that's going... Well it's going.

Friendly microtransactions going to end sooner rather than later if Sony owned.

But I'll be a little surprised if this rumor is true. Unless Sony overpaid them like crazy, I just don't see much of a reason why Arrowhead wouldn't wait for HD2 to peak in a few years rather than grab a bag now. Maybe Sony owning the IP gives Arrowhead much less leverage in this situation. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony already gets 70%+ of all profits by financing HD2

Last edited:

kyussman

There was a time aquisitions were interesting but I'm kind of sick of them now,lol......don't know what these guys do and I can't even be bothered to google them to find out.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what to make of this comment. Loads of Activision and Bethesda games have come on Microsoft platforms, especially with mod support in some bethesda titles. Is that not organic?

Or are we saying Microsoft should have made loads of exclusive contracts with these publishers before moving into acquisition?

Like it sounds good, what you said, I just don't at all understand what would actually need to be done for a massive publisher acquisition to feel 'organic'
No, it is not organic. Sony directly worked with most of their studios by financing, publishing, or co-developing before acquiring any of them. Sony has a much better idea of how the studio functions within their studio pipeline compared to what Microsoft is doing, which is just buying publishers wholesale

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
Friendly microtransactions going to end sooner rather than later if Sony owned?
Does Sony have a history of predatory MTX policies?

Also, it’s really tough to figure out who is being genuine and who thinks they’re being ironic when they talk about this (potential) acquisition as an example of “organic growth”.

I just don't at all understand what would actually need to be done for a massive publisher acquisition to feel 'organic'
It can’t be done. That’s the point. “Organic”, to me - and I’m happy to hear other people’s views here - suggests that the company grows significantly with the guidance or support of the acquiring company. In the case of a massive publisher like Activision or Bethesda (etc.), they’re cashing in on the success they have earned for themselves. In the case of Arrowhead (and Naughty Dog, Insomniac, etc.) Sony are reaping the rewards of their investments - investments that they made with no obligations to purchase and thus minimal risk on their part, and so they now need to pay for. Other companies that received similar support without that same level of success can then be, if you like, “organically” pruned.

bitbydeath

Tweet is already deleted.
While it could happen in future Twitter is rarely ever right when it comes to rumours.

TVexperto

Why can’t Microsoft grow organically like Sony does?
Sony's like that kid who aces every test, rocks out in a band, and throws the sickest parties.

they are diversified, dude! Music, movies, electronics – they're everywhere, spreading their bets and potentially softening any blows. Meanwhile, Microsoft's been grinding away in the library, acing those software and hardware exams, especially for the big corporations. Don't get me wrong, that's a sweet gig, but it ain't exactly the recipe for the next killer exclusive, right? Then there's the whole "buy it instead of build it" thing. Microsoft's known for scooping up companies like shiny new loot, which can be a quick way to level up, but some argue it leaves them lacking that homegrown talent and that special spark of innovation that makes gamers go "whoa, dude!" But hey, that's just my noob take! What do you think? Maybe Microsoft just needs to find its own unique quest, something that sets them apart from the Sony juggernaut. Let's hear your epic theories in the comments below! We might just crack the code and unlock the secrets of Xbox domination!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Makes sense. Their current in house made gaas have been a trainwreck of cancellations. And bungie has been going down the tubes. With the money they save axing 900 people I’m sure buying arrowhead doesn’t cost that much. Consider it an asset swap of people.

Top Bottom