• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Debunked: Arrowhead has been acquired by Sony. Announcement coming soon

Honestly, you should not be allowed to buy new studios after laying off close to a thousand people and shutting down other studios. There should be laws against treating people like cattle. If you cant afford to buy something, you cant go around selling your kids, so why are employees fair game?

That’s too strong of a blanket statement

If you have a shit studio like Sony London, and its operating costs hurt your ability to invest elsewhere, you should be able to adjust as needed

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sony's like that kid who aces every test, rocks out in a band, and throws the sickest parties.

they are diversified, dude! Music, movies, electronics – they're everywhere, spreading their bets and potentially softening any blows. Meanwhile, Microsoft's been grinding away in the library, acing those software and hardware exams, especially for the big corporations. Don't get me wrong, that's a sweet gig, but it ain't exactly the recipe for the next killer exclusive, right? Then there's the whole "buy it instead of build it" thing. Microsoft's known for scooping up companies like shiny new loot, which can be a quick way to level up, but some argue it leaves them lacking that homegrown talent and that special spark of innovation that makes gamers go "whoa, dude!" But hey, that's just my noob take! What do you think? Maybe Microsoft just needs to find its own unique quest, something that sets them apart from the Sony juggernaut. Let's hear your epic theories in the comments below! We might just crack the code and unlock the secrets of Xbox domination!
Sony has been consolidating their company for over 10 years. They almost spun off their tv division because it did so bad, but ended up keeping it. They sold off VAIO, and is in process of spinning off almost off of its highly profitable financial/insurance division right now.

Killjoy-NL

What Sony does with FF and Square Enix is moneyhatting, because SE is more than capable to support development.

What they so with smaller studios that are looking for publishers is not moneyhatting, its publishing and no its not organic but its not in the slightest the same as buying big publishers.
Sony and Square-Enix is a unique situation, as Sony and SE have long history, going back to Squaresoft.

When Squaresoft had financial troubles after FF Spirits Within flopped, they approached Sony to buy shares, making Sony the second biggest shareholder for Squaresoft.
Years later, Sony sold back their shares. I doubt there is much "moneyhatting" going on, just close business-related ties and good standing.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Very doubtful that Sony would have even allowed them to develop the game for 8 years, had it been an internal studio.
If the buyout is true, good on arrowhead for getting some stability. Just be warned arrowhead execs and game designers. Given their history you might be pigeon holed making Helldivers games for the next 20 years. Once sony notices a studio gets a solid IP under their belt, it’s sequel and remaster city.

DrFigs

Sony: Acquires the studio which released one of the most popular multiplayer games this year
Meanwhile Microsoft:
spongebob-xbox.jpg
i know you're doing a console war thing, but this is an actual w for microsoft. only problem is that it's 700

Little Mac

Gold Member
Wouldn’t surprise me. Good for Arrowhead … I hope. You can never tell in these situations. Sony needs to take a hands off approach and just “let them cook”. They’ve earned it.

So ms gets the get out card if they brought moon studios, cool

It's pretty easy to understand. If you put money, technical resources, personnel, assistance from other studios and the fucking IP is yours, the studio is virtually yours, though not legally.

The same would apply if they bought Kojima studio since they gave him the Decima engine and infinite help.

Also, they have actively assisted in the development of Stellar Blade and some other games. Equalling that to an upfront acquisition of a third party like Capcom, Activision or Bethesda is god-level ignorance.

Said this, I would prefer nobody else fall under Playstation's current management. They better clean the house first. Once deadweights like Haven, MM or Bungie are removed, then think of acquisitions.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Yeah, no one would have complained if they bought Moon Studios. Absolutely no one complained when MS bought Playground or Undead Labs.
I thought playground was a new studio just for forza? I just dont understand why its ok to buy a single studio but not a publisher i mean theres literally no difference, id even say bethesda studios has always had a better relationship with with ms then the whole of zenimax, especially considering they worked extensively with morrowind, oblivion and fallout, Activision they obviously have some relationship with ms due to cod being stuck to every xbox 360 boxes theres literally no difference

Embearded

So ms gets the get out card if they brought moon studios, cool
Didn't the owner just say that without MS there wouldn't be Ori?
It's natural for MS to buy Moon Studios, a second party studio, if the owner is looking to sell.

Why is it so hard for some to understand that?
Some studios and games exist because of close or exclusive relationship with some publishers and platform holders. Some of those studios don't even own the IP they thought in the first place because they didn't have money to proceed with the development and the publisher fund the project. I remember reading Sean Murray took a loan and risked his own home so he could keep the IP even though he could have taken Sony's money.

BigLee74

You dont think Helldivers 2 is one of the most popular multiplayer games out now?
Btw don't forget that CoD will be on playstation systems as well for at least the next ten years.
Did I say anything contrary to what you said? I don’t think so! Just having a go at the walloper poster who thinks that only Sony have acquired a popular MP game…

Does Sony have a history of predatory MTX policies?
GT7 and MLB the Show can be very predatory. We will know for sure how Sony operates its gaas monetization when Concord releases in a few months because they own them

Arrowhead has publicly stated they don't plan to emphasize monetization until they have "earned it". I just dont see Sony operating in that fashion. It would be industry leading and truly extraordinary if Sony does that for all their upcoming gaas games, but I think that will be unique to Arrowhead

StueyDuck

By the same guy who says Ghost of Tsushima for PC is being announced tomorrow and said we would get a Horizon for PC blogpost today:

Source

The CEO talked about being independetly owned today

i mean it's just rumor.

but Sony should have put a ring on that finger ages ago (like them and few others instead of bungie)

but with current sony seemingly exploding i hope they don't and they just continue to publish there titles instead

Last edited:

fersnake

Why would there be an Xbox release of a game in a franchise tthat's owned completely by Sony and whose installments were all funded completely by Sony?
dont know just saying, i though because its a gaas game it would be better to have more players spending more money right? doesnt matter to me, already have it on pc and besides i own a ps5.

Embearded

dont know just saying, i though because its a gaas game it would be better to have more players spending more money right? doesnt matter to me, already have it on pc and besides i own a ps5.
I swear this idea of 1st party games making economically sense to release on comoetitors platforms only started a month ago with Microsoft's strategy change.

It doesn't make sense if you are winning the race and keep selling consoles.
That sweet 30% cut from every game sold on your store is important.

JaksGhost

Where did this line of thinking originate because NO ONE was asking for Helldivers on Xbox until it became a hit. Are people actively campaigning for the other GaaS in development to be on Xbox or is it just FOMO with this one particular game?

Last edited:

Aenima

Honestly, you should not be allowed to buy new studios after laying off close to a thousand people and shutting down other studios. There should be laws against treating people like cattle. If you cant afford to buy something, you cant go around selling your kids, so why are employees fair game?
Thats called management. Things that are not working are cut off to bring on new things that work. And i didnt knew you called you boss Daddy. Hope he supports you untill ur 18. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:
I know this is a jab at Microsoft but this looks legitimately better than the PS5.

You can also print stickers out for the same effect at 1/100th of the price.

There was a time aquisitions were interesting but I'm kind of sick of them now,lol......don't know what these guys do and I can't even be bothered to google them to find out.

Just curious: when were acquisitions 'interesting' for you and why?

Sony's like that kid who aces every test, rocks out in a band, and throws the sickest parties.

they are diversified, dude! Music, movies, electronics – they're everywhere, spreading their bets and potentially softening any blows. Meanwhile, Microsoft's been grinding away in the library, acing those software and hardware exams, especially for the big corporations. Don't get me wrong, that's a sweet gig, but it ain't exactly the recipe for the next killer exclusive, right? Then there's the whole "buy it instead of build it" thing. Microsoft's known for scooping up companies like shiny new loot, which can be a quick way to level up, but some argue it leaves them lacking that homegrown talent and that special spark of innovation that makes gamers go "whoa, dude!" But hey, that's just my noob take! What do you think? Maybe Microsoft just needs to find its own unique quest, something that sets them apart from the Sony juggernaut. Let's hear your epic theories in the comments below! We might just crack the code and unlock the secrets of Xbox domination!

If they're acing those exams, they're failing the internships.

Aenima

GT7 and MLB the Show can be very predatory. We will know for sure how Sony operates its gaas monetization when Concord releases in a few months because they own them

Arrowhead has publicly stated they don't plan to emphasize monetization until they have "earned it". I just dont see Sony operating in that fashion. It would be industry leading and truly extraordinary if Sony does that for all their upcoming gaas games, but I think that will be unique to Arrowhead
How is GT7 Predatory? They dont sell DLC, thers no season passes or lootboxes to spend money on. Every update is free. Only thing you can spend money on is on game credits, and since launch that they have increased the ways ppl can earn game credits in the game. For example GT7 is much less grindy now than the old GTs that didnt had the option to purchase credits. I have around 300 cars in my GT7 garage, while in previous GTs my garage had around 100 cars.

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

NGL. While I don't disagree with you, if this wasn't $700 I just may get it for the sake of it. Because Spongebob. I mean, that design rocks.

You are welcome

Makes sense. Their current in house made gaas have been a trainwreck of cancellations. And bungie has been going down the tubes. With the money they save axing 900 people I’m sure buying arrowhead doesn’t cost that much. Consider it an asset swap of people.
Yeah. studios are not interchangeable. The ability to cut studios that are not productive should not stop you from acquiring new talent.

It certainly sound like Sony is very deliberately using their 2nd party programs as a type of vetting process. You can call it "organic" if you want. I personally see it as smart business. You spend some money developing games with young small studios, and if they end up proven themselves capable, you hire them. It is the Goldilocks zone between buying established studios at a high price and buying unproven teams for cheap. Sony basically wait until the last possible moment before it gets too expensive, to hire a studio who is about to become famous. It is Talent Scouting.

If the story ended up being true, I hope the Arrowhead CEO contractually demanded freedom to do things his way. Because the line between a good GaaS and a bad GaaS is paper thin.
Thats called management. Things that are not working are cut off to bring on new things that work. And i didnt knew you called you boss Daddy. Hope he supports you untill ur 18.
You reminded me that Xbox fans used to brag about the sheer quantity of studios under Xbox. And i always wondered why they think that is a good thing when most of these studios are basically doing nothing productive that we know of. Got to cut the fat sometimes.

Last edited:

nowhat

You are welcome
I mean... I may still not get one. Being a Series console and all. Ass of Can Whooping Ass of Can Whooping can I get a fist bump. But thanks for the sentiment at any rate :)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I don't think you understand how the economics of this work. Nor have you probably not been in charge of a company at all? If you have you would have more of an understanding of what you are saying making no sense. And this is not a Sony defensive point this is just a strictly how business works and it's not worth the argument or is it personal.

Perrott

Gold Member
Why are you acting as if shutting down a historically worthless operation such as the London Studio was some sort of irresponsable decision from a management standpoint? In any case, the irresponsable thing was to keep them running for this long considering how it's been 15 years since their last hit product, EyePet.

Also, for one reason or another, Firesprite, Naughty Dog and Insomniac have all had projects canceled or not greenlit in the live-service initiative, which seems to be winding down, so if Sony were to find themselves in need of cost-cutting, it'd be natural for them to target these studios.

The only layoffs that do seem unwarranted are the ones at Guerrilla, but even then we don't know how Horizon Online is coming together behind the scenes. For all we know, it might even by another TLOU Online situation, as it's been in the works in various capacities for nearly six years now.

Perrott

Gold Member
I think it was Insomniac?
Bluepoint as well.

I remember that after the PlayStation JP Twitter leaked the acquisition, the studio's Twitter bio was saying something along the lines of "We're Bluepoint Games, an independent game studio from Austin, Texas." for months up until they were officially acquired.

Top Bottom