• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon Ver 2.0.0 Patch Notes

backlot

So cats are retroactively being given the win, right?

Balance changes seem good though. I'm kind of surprised they didn't try to nerf Dynamo Rollers though considering how much people complain about them.

Regiruler

Echolocator doesn't give invincibility, direct kill possibility nor any ink spread. It also doesn't track enemies who were dead when it was activated, and there's a clothing ability that reduces the duration by 75%. Like random25 I think it shouldn't need a nerf.
1. The clothing ability isn't significantly popular
2. None of the other specials benefit your entire team regardless of location.

Revven

Oh, I didn't realise they did post them in English. Fair enough. That's even better! Dammit, why can't they do the same with Smash?
sad.gif

It's not that they can't, it's that the dev team behind Smash (more likely Sakurai, actually) doesn't want to give detailed patch notes. It's all part of his philosophy/direction with Smash, annoyingly.

Meanwhile the younger dev team (or I should say, dev leaders) behind Splatoon know detailed patch notes are important even if Splatoon, at its core, is very easy to pick up and play and was designed for a more casual experience (with regards to its modes and how you can't play Turf War in ranked, for example).

MrGameBoy

Awww, no full integration of non-GamePad controllers (Wii Remote (Plus) + Nunchuk, Wii U Pro Controller, Wii Classic Controller (Pro)). :(

Maybe next patch/update? Please...?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Awww, no full integration of non-GamePad controllers (Wii Remote (Plus) + Nunchuk, Wii U Pro Controller, Wii Classic Controller (Pro)). :(

Maybe next patch/update? Please...?

You're gonna want to give that dream up sooner than later.

Also: A lot of people complained that you don't get your Super Sea Snails after a Splatfest if you don't boot the game shortly after its end. It's weird that this update does not fix that (unless it's in “Other quality of life updates.”, but seeing how detailed these patch notes are, I doubt so).

Vena

I am not surprised by that nerf to Inkzooka and Echolocator, both were far stronger than their counterparts. I am surprised by the Splatfest rebalancing though.

After how Tournament Mode went down and how much they're adding to Splatoon's online experience, it's clear which player base the developers like more.

Has Nintendo released such detailed patch notes before? Smash fans must be pissed.

Different devs. Smash isn't internal, it was farmed out to Bamco and the team is/was led by Sakurai. Nintendo has done patch notes in the past.

MrGameBoy

You're gonna want to give that dream up sooner than later.
Maybe. While EAD Group 2's not exactly known for patching in controller support, New Super Mario Bros. U got Pro Controller support and so did NES Remix with other controllers too. I'm not saying the GamePad is bad (actually, it's quite good with motion controls on), but I'd prefer playing a shooter like Splatoon with excellent pointer controls alongside a propped-up GamePad map display. If only there are enough voices to reach Nintendo somehow... The implementation shouldn't be too much trouble.

Has Nintendo released such detailed patch notes before? Smash fans must be pissed.

See Mario Kart 8 for example, patch notes were quite detailed:
http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10625/~/how-to-update-mario-kart-8

So, when are these changes taking effect?

If it's like the previous Splatoon software updates, it'll be on August 6th 2015 at 02:00 UTC.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/netinfo/en_US/index.html

Code:
San Francisco (U.S.A. - California)  Wednesday, 5 August 2015, 17:50 → 19:00  PDT  UTC-7 hours  
New York (U.S.A. - New York)         Wednesday, 5 August 2015, 20:50 → 22:00  EDT  UTC-4 hours  

UTC (GMT)                            Thursday,  6 August 2015, 00:50 → 02:00                

London (United Kingdom - England)    Thursday,  6 August 2015, 01:50 → 03:00  BST  UTC+1 hour   
Paris (France)                       Thursday,  6 August 2015, 02:50 → 04:00  CEST UTC+2 hours  
Tokyo (Japan)                        Thursday,  6 August 2015, 09:50 → 11:00  JST  UTC+9 hours  
Sydney (Australia - New South Wales) Thursday,  6 August 2015, 10:50 → 12:00  AEST UTC+10 hours

Maybe. While EAD Group 2's not exactly known for patching in controller support, New Super Mario Bros. U got Pro Controller support and so did NES Remix with other controllers too. I'm not saying the GamePad is bad (actually, it's quite good with motion controls on), but I'd prefer playing a shooter like Splatoon with excellent pointer controls alongside a propped-up GamePad map display. If only there are enough voices to reach Nintendo somehow... The implementation shouldn't be too much trouble.

I'm with you. I just refuse to use the Gamepad unless it's absolutely necessary (Amiibo in Smash, Wii U options) because I much prefer the Wii U Pro Controller.

But besides that, I am jealous that Splatoon gets incredibly detailed patch notes from the get-go - this is something Nintendo and Bandai-Namco need to be better on. At least the Smash community goes through the patch with great detail however...

Javier

Inkzooka got nerfed?

FuckEverything.gif

Still, great update overall. Hyped on level cap raise and new music.

Dryk

But besides that, I am jealous that Splatoon gets incredibly detailed patch notes from the get-go - this is something Nintendo and Bandai-Namco need to be better on. At least the Smash community goes through the patch with great detail however...
It's such a pointless waste of time though. The Smash team knows exactly what's changed, there's no reason for them to make the community spend hundreds of man hours figuring it out.

Zero²

Also: A lot of people complained that you don't get your Super Sea Snails after a Splatfest if you don't boot the game shortly after its end. It's weird that this update does not fix that (unless it's in “Other quality of life updates.”, but seeing how detailed these patch notes are, I doubt so).
Weird, I got mine like 4days after the splatfest, and I didn't even participate in it, just choose a team lol

I've read the tumblr but I'm not sure I understand this still:

I want to play with one other friend online but want to ensure we're on the same team. What are the options for doing that? Can private match be used for that or is it only through the Squad system?

Crayolan

I've read the tumblr but I'm not sure I understand this still:

I want to play with one other friend online but want to ensure we're on the same team. What are the options for doing that? Can private match be used for that or is it only through the Squad system?

Both modes will let you do that.

Forkball

Developer: How should we change the echolocator, an item that promotes teamwork which is the whole focus of the game?
Boss: Nerf it.
Developer: Ok. What about the Kraken? A power that you can instantly activate which turns you invincible and gives you a one hit kill, meaning you can basically just roam freely and if anyone looks at you funny you can instantly kill them?
Boss: ...Don't you dare fucking touch it.

KingBroly

Banned
Developer: How should we change the echolocator, an item that promotes teamwork which is the whole focus of the game?
Developer: Ok. What about the Kraken? A power that you can instantly activate which turns you invincible and gives you a one hit kill, meaning you can basically just roam freely and if anyone looks at you funny you can instantly kill them?

They already Nerfed the Kraken about a month ago.

Vena

Kraken was nerfed, and Echo and Ink were way over the top in organized teams.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
after level 10 I burned out and could not play the game any longer. maybe it is time to come back..

Great, it's happening already...

Whenever I learn of a patch coming, I lose all interest in playing said game until patch hits.

Glass Joe

Goes live on the 5th

Much obliged!

Hmm was kind of hoping to see some roller nerf in the notes. Those guys can reach further than my gun when they jump.

I wonder if by chance when the level cap goes up, experience that has accumulated past level 20 will advance us automatically? Doubtful, so maybe I'll lay off or stay on ranked for a couple days.

Friggin love this game!

MGrant

Not only did they not nerf it (further), but now it's found its way onto about 97% of the available loadouts. Meanwhile, the Disruptor is on, like, 2 loadouts.

Forkball

They already Nerfed the Kraken about a month ago.

Kraken was nerfed, and Echo and Ink were way over the top in organized teams.

That's like saying a bullet to the face now does 5% less damage therefore it's a nerf. The principle problem is the speed of which you can pop it out of nowhere, the length of its duration, invincibility, one hit kills etc. Seriously it is the most broken ass thing I've seen in a game in a long time.

The Kraken is useless outside of sitting on the tower in TC. It's super easy to dodge, and the nerf means that it can be knocked back fairly easily as well.

A seeker-roller combo would be my go-to weapon if that happens.

There's a later to be released, Carbon Roller Deco that has not only seekers, but the special is a seeker rush. So you can just spam a whole swarm of seekers like you just set off a whole army of automatic vacuums.

Is it just me, or am I the only one who wishes I had a paint gauge to see how much paint I have left besides the brief glimpse I get of it when refilling? Kinda catches me off gaurd when I run out.

I was hoping they'd patch that.

Crayolan

That's like saying a bullet to the face now does 5% less damage therefore it's a nerf. The principle problem is the speed of which you can pop it out of nowhere, the length of its duration, invincibility, one hit kills etc. Seriously it is the most broken ass thing I've seen in a game in a long time.

splatoon_laughing_inkilings_by_fernhw-d7m5bwo.png

The Seeker is crying!

Oh, that's why no one knows how to deal with disruptors.

Top Bottom