• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon Ver 2.0.0 Patch Notes

Kicko

How is everyone downloading the update? I accessed eShop and they're advertising the update, but when I click on it, they ask me to pay for the game.

Piercator

Banned
How is everyone downloading the update? I accessed eShop and they're advertising the update, but when I click on it, they ask me to pay for the game.
Go to the Lobby, it will ask for the update, close the game and open it again. It won't work instantly if you acces to the game via quick menu

MrGameBoy

There's nothing about controllers in the update notes. There was nothing promised in regards to controllers support. To come and make this a main issue in a thread that had nothing to do with this is disingenuous and rude in my opinion.

The patch notes are very clear, there's nothing to negotiate about it. It's not a thread about "what would you like in a future update".
I apologize if I steered the topic of discussion too much on this thread. When I saw "- Other quality of life updates.", I assumed controller functionality could be taken into account, as being able to choose which controller to use is, what I consider, a comfort. However, I forgot that Nintendo is upfront on added controller support in their patch notes. Again, sorry for any derailing. Didn't intend to upset anybody.

As far as I know none of the Wii games were online/competitive games, they probably want a level playing field in regards to control schemes, and I think they just want to have one controller scheme for Splatoon, which is the controller the system comes with.
I'm pretty sure Wii shooters like Call of Duty, Conduit, and Goldeneye 007 had featured online multiplayer as well as at least supporting the Classic Controller (Pro). The last of which even offered GameCube controller support.

They can probably come up with other options, but I just get the feeling they don't want to (or would rather put resources elsewhere) and Splatoon would have been a game designed to show how good the gamepad is and what it can bring to the table, since at the time it was conceived the Wii U was doing poorly and didn't have enough games that made the gamepad seem like it was more than a just a gimmick
That's probably the reason. Other than a handful of games like ZombiU, Nintendo Land, Pikmin 3, and Affordable Space Adventures, most games didn't really showcase the unique strengths of the GamePad. Though I feel being able to combine controllers (like in Pikmin 3) is still a unique feature of the Wii U.

People want other options because the gamepad as a whole isn't a great controller, the pro is lighter and more ergonomic, the pointer is more accurate and offers more unique gameplay opportunities

However, Splatoon is maybe the only Wii U game that actually uses the gamepad to its full potential, any other control system would be inferior, the pointer lacks of persistent and interactive map screen, and the pro lacks a gyro (and map screen)
Please refer to my post (#364) for a possible implementation. As for the Pro Controller, why not allow the capability to tie a Wii Remote Plus like in Battle Dojo? Sure, the resulting combo is heavier than the default GamePad, but the form factor may be more appealing, like the grips and/or less awkward distance between the shoulder and trigger buttons.

That said, the gamepad works great with Splatoon, so I'd advise just using it or skipping the game if you find it that much of an issue
...except I said I logged in over 80 hours of this game on my Wii U. Will still keep playing, but it's a shame that such an incredible game doesn't provide much in terms of alternatives.

Have you tried a first person shooter on the Wii U with the Wii Remote and Nunchuck? I played a LOT of COD: Ghosts and while the pointer controls were usable, the gamepad gyro blows it out of the water. No comparison.
Wii U shooters? Other than Splatoon, no. But I've played a lot of Metroid Prime 3 with Advanced settings (and even that's not the best showcase due to lack of customization compared to other Wii shooters). While dual-analog combined with gyro controls fine, I still prefer the pointer controls due being able to aim almost anywhere on-screen and turn by going outside an invisible deadzone, all at 60fps. For me, the difference in feel between dual-stick + gyro and pointer is like that of between an B+ and A. (Not too huge, but still noticeable.)

xandaca

I love the new Squid Sisters gags in the stage updates at the beginning.

(Paraphrasing)

Callie: 'Know what this stage [Kelp Dome] and I have in common?'
Marie: 'You're both sweaty and full of food?'

Callie: 'Know any good puns?'
Marie: 'You know I don't like puns. They're punbearable!'

Extremely silly, but perfectly aligned with my love of unashamedly terrible jokes. Good stuff. Also, I like Marie more now she's the funny one. Callie's still my wonderful roller girl, though.

And add one more call for pointer controls. This game does nothing that couldn't easily be handled by the systems the Wii COD games put in place. Use a transparent map overlay for placing inkstrikes and selecting who to superjump to and you're golden. Or you can just use the Wiimote for playing and the gamepad screen for all map functions, which is an option COD also offers. Pointer controls are by several miles the best FPS controls available, which makes it incredibly sad that they're going to die out, if they haven't effectively already.

The Callie and Marie bits are usually really entertaining. Not sure if this is new or not but I found it hilarious.

tumblr_nsn79zJKJ91uza467o1_1280.jpg

The Callie and Marie bits are usually really entertaining. Not sure if this is new or not but I found it hilarious.
There is this one as well:
It Marie talking to us (given people mash A through these), Callie or both?

edit: Before I forget, I wonder if we will have a v2.0.1 some time soon as myself and some other people are unable to finish a single match as during the match "the connection is unstable" will appear on-screen, I get stuck on the spot, I'll see everyone die then a communication error (I was once within 19 seconds of finishing a turf war match). I knew before v2.0.0 a few people had a similar problem. I've contacted both NOA and NOE. NOA were quick and said "phone us" (not doing that from the UK), I expect NOE to respond in about 2 weeks with "have you tried turning it off and on again".

There is this one as well:

It Marie talking to us (given people mash A through these), Callie or both?

edit: Before I forget, I wonder if we will have a v2.0.1 some time soon as myself and some other people are unable to finish a single match as during the match "the connection is unstable" will appear on-screen, I get stuck on the spot, I'll see everyone die then a communication error (I was once within 19 seconds of finishing a turf war match). I knew before v2.0.0 a few people had a similar problem. I've contacted both NOA and NOE. NOA were quick and said "phone us" (not doing that from the UK), I expect NOE to respond in about 2 weeks with "have you tried turning it off and on again".
I don't know if this'll be very helpful, but have you tried contacting Nintendo support to see if they can walk you through anything? Unfortunately I don't have any good advice for you. When I got my update, I had to restart Wii U and reboot Splatoon before it would connect online. No special changes on my end either, and I'm playing wirelessly. If it helps I'm signed with AT&T and use the modem provided by them.

Are you having connection problems with other Wii U games, or just Splatoon?

I don't know what happened, but this update has killed my internet connection. I try to play, and I have to reconnect to the internet first, then it puts me in a queue to join the next match, and then I get disconnected and have to try again. I haven't done anything to my network, and if I test the connection on my Wii U, it works fine. Should I try just deleting the update and trying again (can I do this?) or is anyone else experiencing issues with this update? It's so bad I have trouble connecting to the internet just to check the stores.

I don't know what happened, but this update has killed my internet connection. I try to play, and I have to reconnect to the internet first, then it puts me in a queue to join the next match, and then I get disconnected and have to try again. I haven't done anything to my network, and if I test the connection on my Wii U, it works fine. Should I try just deleting the update and trying again (can I do this?) or is anyone else experiencing issues with this update? It's so bad I have trouble connecting to the internet just to check the stores.

I was having a TON of shit getting online yesterday. Things didn't start to clear up until I did a Ranked Match and got obliterated trying the Gatling for the first time.

I think it's just because of everyone that got bored of the game ran back for the update so the servers are getting slammed at peak hours, kinda like the Test Fire way back. Same thing happened with Mario Kart 8 and every big update for Smash 4.

Try Ranked and see if that helps a bit. Otherwise, I'd delete the update and try again. *shrug*

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Go to the Lobby, it will ask for the update, close the game and open it again. It won't work instantly if you acces to the game via quick menu

I've noticed updates don't work if you use quick launch. Has to be from the main menu for some reason.
Odd, my update had downloaded and applied it self just fine when I launched in from the quick launch menu.

thank god for for the new bg music
Squid Beats proving itself as the best unlockable game since it's the only one that gets updates lol

Xav

Why can't I play Turf Wars in Squad Battle?

All I want to do is party up with some friends and play together (with voice chat thanks to Skype). Nintendo continues to make life hard.

I dislike Tower Control. It's too random and chaotic for me.

Exile20

Why can't I play Turf Wars in Squad Battle?

All I want to do is party up with some friends and play together (with voice chat thanks to Skype). Nintendo continues to make life hard.

I dislike Tower Control. It's too random and chaotic for me.
You have to do private match then choose turf war. Squad battles is for ranked only.

prag16

Banned
You have to do private match then choose turf war. Squad battles is for ranked only.

Yes, but he asked "why" this was the case. Only Nintendo in their infinite wisdom know the answer to that. That's not really viable solution if you have only a few people.

So many silly things and decisions that have kneecapped the overall experience. The long ass four hour blocks, the two map rotations (and same mode for those four hours too, in ranked), the failure to incorporate any of the updates into local multi, no regional matchmaking, etc.

Add this to the list. I too would like to play Turf War in a "squad". Saying "it's only for ranked" means nothing. Who cares. There's no good reason why it should not be a feature.

Yes, but he asked "why" this was the case. Only Nintendo in their infinite wisdom know the answer to that. That's not really viable solution if you have only a few people.

I think the reason is not to divide the user base too much. At the moment there are already 4 modes that look for opponents randomly:

• Regular Battle (Turf War)
  • Ranked Battle solo
  • 4-player Squad Battle (includes 3-player squads which can face 4P teams)
  • 2-player squads

prag16

Banned
I think the reason is not to divide the user base too much. At the moment there are already 4 modes that look for opponents randomly:

• Regular Battle (Turf War)
  • Ranked Battle solo
  • 4-player Squad Battle (includes 3-player squads which can face 4P teams)
  • 2-player squads
Are we sure bullets 3 and 4 aren't in the same pool?

Also, adding Turf War to ranked wouldn't have to change anything. Just add it to the rotation.

They also don't need to divide the player base with regional matchmaking it they don't want to. Just have it give PRIORITY to regional matching. Which they very clearly don't currently do.

Still, all that aside, the combination of 4 hour blocks and skimpy two map rotation is still the worst thing about the game, and anybody defending it boggles my mind. Nintendo can never get everything right. They always seem to have to go out of their way to handle SOMETHING incompetently. For good measure or something.

I know many here "agree" with some of these ridiculous design choices. We'll agree to disagree.

Reposted from the OT since I just realized Splatfest might mean it gets completely buried:
Felt this was probably the best place to ask, but the reason I've barely played anyone on GAF in this game despite adding my details to the list is for some weird reason only this game has enormous internet issues. I don't have the best connection in the world, but Smash Wii U and Mario Kart 8 rarely have enormous lag issues, let alone disconnecting me, yet Splatoon I'll rarely be able to make it to the end of a match without getting booted out.

I've tried resetting my router, moving the system closer, removing the network and re-adding it in the Wii U settings yet nothing seems to stop this game having the worst netcode ever (besides Brawl on the Wii I guess) for me. It's made even more frustrating by none of my online friends having this issue and even praising this game as being a far smoother online experience for them than the aforementioned games that work fine for me. Are there specific router settings that could be tripping this game up, or am I just fucked unless I move to somewhere with a faster internet infrastructure (I'm in Sydney atm)?

Wait, so when Splatfest is going on they disable all kinds of multiplayer with friends with the exception of Private battles?

Who in the fuck thought that was a good idea?

They just are consolidating every one into a single matchmaking pool for the Splat Fest, which is what, like 2-days a month? I don't think it's a big deal

Was there at least an opt-in? I stupidly signed up for a team because the game told me to.

This is the first time since the 2.0 update I could boot up the game with a friend to try out the 2-man squads and literally one match later they lock everything out because of Splatfest. We faceplamed so hard and went right back to Rocket League.

Top Bottom