• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon Ver 2.0.0 Patch Notes

MrGameBoy

I hope NX will have just one supported controller so we can skip the tons of complaining just for complaining sake.

There is nothing about controllers in the update notes and yet half of this thread talk about controllers. It's just ridiculous. You're gamers, you've played in your life with a lot of types of controllers, adapt for God's sake. The Gamepad works perfectly for Splatoon. Yes the game could be adapted to work with Pro Controller or Wiimore or Wavebird or NES controller, as mostly everything can be adapted, but the resources are rather focused on producing new maps, weapons and gears and that's the right decision.
But I'm not complaining "just for complaining sake": I just want to play the game with, what I feel to be, a better control setup, which is the Wii Remote Plus + Nunchuk + Wii U GamePad. And what's wrong with having multiple controller options? We've seen this feature on Wii, and I doubt few don't appreciate this continuation on Wii U, as many of Nintendo's own games allow more than just the GamePad. As much as I love playing Splatoon and logging over 80 hours, I still prefer playing my shooters with Wii-based pointer controls, despite the utility of twin sticks combined with gyro. And don't try to discredit the argument with bringing up the NES controller: remember how shooters worked on Wii and look at the diversity of control options available in Nintendo's first-party games. And how else can gamers send the message to Nintendo that control alternatives would be appreciated? Considering that Nintendo patched in controller support in other games and EAD Group 2's willingness to update Splatoon, I don't think I'm being that unreasonable.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
But I'm not complaining "just for complaining sake": I just want to play the game with, what I feel to be, a better control setup, which is the Wii Remote Plus + Nunchuk + Wii U GamePad. And what's wrong with having multiple controller options? We've seen this feature on Wii, and I doubt few don't appreciate this continuation on Wii U, as many of Nintendo's own games allow more than just the GamePad. As much as I love playing Splatoon and logging over 80 hours, I still prefer playing my shooters with Wii-based pointer controls, despite the utility of twin sticks combined with gyro. And don't try to discredit the argument with bringing up the NES controller: remember how shooters worked on Wii and look at the diversity of control options available in Nintendo's first-party games. And how else can gamers send the message to Nintendo that control alternatives would be appreciated? Considering that Nintendo patched in controller support in other games and EAD Group 2's willingness to update Splatoon, I don't think I'm being that unreasonable.

There's nothing about controllers in the update notes. There was nothing promised in regards to controllers support. To come and make this a main issue in a thread that had nothing to do with this is disingenuous and rude in my opinion.

The patch notes are very clear, there's nothing to negotiate about it. It's not a thread about "what would you like in a future update".

oni-link

As far as I know none of the Wii games were online/competitive games, they probably want a level playing field in regards to control schemes, and I think they just want to have one controller scheme for Splatoon, which is the controller the system comes with.

They can probably come up with other options, but I just get the feeling they don't want to (or would rather put resources elsewhere) and Splatoon would have been a game designed to show how good the gamepad is and what it can bring to the table, since at the time it was conceived the Wii U was doing poorly and didn't have enough games that made the gamepad seem like it was more than a just a gimmick

People want other options because the gamepad as a whole isn't a great controller, the pro is lighter and more ergonomic, the pointer is more accurate and offers more unique gameplay opportunities

However, Splatoon is maybe the only Wii U game that actually uses the gamepad to its full potential, any other control system would be inferior, the pointer lacks of persistent and interactive map screen, and the pro lacks a gyro (and map screen)

I just hope the next system uses a standard controller as the primary input device and then lets us use pointers/gamepads if we want to, so many people with Wii U's on just this forum say they use the Pro controller over the gamepad whenever they have the option to, this whole debate over lack of support is entirely born from Nintendo loving Wii U owners not liking the gamepad

That said, the gamepad works great with Splatoon, so I'd advise just using it or skipping the game if you find it that much of an issue

It's a separate ranked mode while still counting towards your Rank. You're taking people away from the Ranked Pool and putting them into an entirely different one.

You really think there's going to be a shortage of people to play? Haven't you seen the sales numbers for this? And S rank players will still need to join there.

By your reasoning, the existence of large order of fries would hinder someone's ability to get medium size fries.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I assumed they would let a three man squad get a random teammate. That sucks.

prag16

Banned
I assumed they would let a three man squad get a random teammate. That sucks.

Nah, it makes sense not to give them a random teammate. In order to do that, they'd have to allow single players to join the squad mode, which is kind of silly. Allowing three man squads for a potential 3 on 4 is better than locking it to ONLY 2 or 4 players in my opinion.

boiled goose

good with gravy
So frustrating.

Splatoon online was fine for me until recently.

Now I get a communication error 30 s into a match every single time. Can't play anymore.

Any idea what this could be? Why the sudden ChanGE from fine to unplayable?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Nah, it makes sense not to give them a random teammate. In order to do that, they'd have to allow single players to join the squad mode, which is kind of silly. Allowing three man squads for a potential 3 on 4 is better than locking it to ONLY 2 or 4 players in my opinion.

Do you think that random would be at a disadvantage? I dont know. I hope the faster respawn is significant.

Do you think that random would be at a disadvantage? I dont know. I hope the faster respawn is significant.

I'm kind of glad that there's no random for 3v4 matches, Tenacity can finally get some decent usage without hoping team mates die constantly.

Majestad

Banned
So frustrating.

Now I get a communication error 30 s into a match every single time. Can't play anymore.

Game is working perfectly for me.

Do we know yet if the squad battle mode will still be stuck with a 2 map rotation? Gamexplain said that mode DOES let you switch gear between matches, so I'm hoping the restrictive two map system is gone for that mode.

EDIT: Crap. IGN's video seems to indicate there's a 2 map rotation in squad battle too. Goddammit. So fucking dumb. Worst thing about the game imo.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/08/04/14-minutes-of-splatoons-big-update-ign-plays
You can always just hop into a custom game now though and play whatever map you want, I'm sure GAF's splatoon thread will have a ton of custom games going on over the next few months.

Also I don't see any reason for squad battles to not have the standard map rotation applied, all the arguments for/against rotating the maps in groups apply to squad battle in the same way as to normal ranked battles.

So frustrating.

A few weeks ago my Splatoon online experience also became worse. In my case, however, it was apparently due to more wireless interference (although nothing had changed in my home, but I have a lot of neighbors in this apartment (above, below, left, right)). When I hooked my Wii U up with a ethernet cable, things became fine again.

Do you have any other online games for your Wii U you could try to find out whether your suffering from connectivity issues in general?

So frustrating.

Some possibilities:

* wireless interference, the Wii u is notorious for having a weak wifi card even when put near the router. Solution: USB Ethernet adapter
* your router is acting up. Solution: factory reset your modem/router, make sure UPNP is enabled and any manual port forwarding is disabled. Solution2: buy a new router and pray
* your ISP/Nintendo hates you. Solution: cry.

Zing

Banned
But I'm not complaining "just for complaining sake": I just want to play the game with, what I feel to be, a better control setup, which is the Wii Remote Plus + Nunchuk + Wii U GamePad.
Have you tried a first person shooter on the Wii U with the Wii Remote and Nunchuck? I played a LOT of COD: Ghosts and while the pointer controls were usable, the gamepad gyro blows it out of the water. No comparison.

RagnarokX

So this gatling gun.

It’s range and power look ridiculous. What’s the catch? Is it difficult to manoeuvre/aim with?

According to IGN's video you have to charge it up first, then release it. So it seems like the catch is that if you want all of that power and range you have to wait for the meter to fill up, and once you start firing the meter depletes. So you have to stop firing and charge back up.

prag16

Banned
Also I don't see any reason for squad battles to not have the standard map rotation applied, all the arguments for/against rotating the maps in groups apply to squad battle in the same way as to normal ranked battles.

If what gamexplain said is true (ability to switch gear between matches in squad mode), then that wipes out one of the main reasons for the limiting 2 map rotation. Regardless, I know the "reasons", but to me it's absolutely indefensible that at BARE MINIMUM the rotations are not 2 hours rather than 4. Four is absurd.

Have you tried a first person shooter on the Wii U with the Wii Remote and Nunchuck? I played a LOT of COD: Ghosts and while the pointer controls were usable, the gamepad gyro blows it out of the water. No comparison.

I played a lot of BO2 and some Ghosts using the Wii remote. In my personal opinion, you're vastly overstating things in favor of the gyro controls. Prelaunch I said I'd much prefer pointer. The gyro has won me over, and now I'm not sure which I'd prefer if I had the choice. But to say the gyro blows pointer out of the water, no comparison? Definitely not, in my opinion. What IS 100% irrefutable (by anyone with a remotely open mind) is that either one absolutely shits all over standard dual analog, period.

-Horizon-

HNNNNNNNG YESSSS NOA DELIVERS!

tumblr_nkw2hvni491tvsvjvo1_400.gif

Busaiku

Seriously anyone that was expecting it to not come to the US was being needlessly pessimistic.
It can only be used online, so Nintendo would've had to secure rights in all regions.
To do that and not release it would be incredibly dumb, even for them.

How does this gear look like? I don't know about this :(

there's scans floating around the net since yesterday. or, you can just look at that gif horizon posted... 100% the same lol

Seriously anyone that was expecting it to not come to the US was being needlessly pessimistic.
It can only be used online, so Nintendo would've had to secure rights in all regions.
To do that and not release it would be incredibly dumb, even for them.

eh... nintendo is dumb, according to GAF anyway... especially NOA

CALS

Neo Member
So in anticipation of the August update I decided to make a Discord server for people that wants to voice chat with ease.

So welcome to Discord - https://discordapp.com/
kXysYOS.jpg

Great features

Free
Clear quality
Free
Low CPU Usage
IP protection

Grab you cellphone with some headsets
Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.discord&hl=en
App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discord-chat-for-gamers/id985746746?mt=8
Windows/OSX apps: https://discordapp.com/apps
Browsers: Firefox/Opera/Chrome
Free

There is no permanent invitation system, the invitation only last up to one day so I will have to update this post with a new link everyday. If the link expires just msg me in NeoGaf and I will update it.

So please go to the original post for the most up-to-date invitation link.

Please quote to see the Discord invitation
↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓
QUOTE ME!!!
↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

Some Rules:

One team per room
Don't be an ass
Be nice
Be supportive
Please leave the text/voice chat room if not in a group playing a game
If someone is being a idiot beyond reason then screen cap and send the image to me and I will either warn or ban them.

I set up rooms like this:
Voice chat - Splatoon1
Text Chat - Splatoon1

Voice chat - Splatoon2
Text Chat - Splatoon2

and so on.....

So basically you join both rooms together so you can text and voice chat with your team. Once again, if you are not on the team in the chatroom, please leave so as to not add noise.

There is also a "chatforeveryone" room so everyone can join to text with each other.

I hope this program will get some use and make Splatoon a lot easier to communicate.

If anyone has any ideas on other settings I can use please not hesitate to msg me.

Keep on Splatting.

Cross posting incase anyone wants to join us for some games.

Ozium

Soon..

Also reminder that some of the new gear is tied to unlocks, not all appear on the shop..

get HYPE

AdanVC

there's scans floating around the net since yesterday. or, you can just look at that gif horizon posted... 100% the same lol

eh... nintendo is dumb, according to GAF anyway... especially NOA

Like this:

pzjkmlp.jpg

Smug as heck lol

I can only find scans...just google 'squid girl splatoon costume', it should show up on one of the news links.

Thanks for replies! Oh wow now I want to use that costume on my Inkling octopus so bad. It's so cuuuuuuute :D 1 hour left!!

evanmisha

Pushed the update to my NA Wii U. Went into the game, tried to head to the lobby, got an error, headed back to my home menu, then relaunched the game. Downloading now.

You can always just hop into a custom game now though and play whatever map you want, I'm sure GAF's splatoon thread will have a ton of custom games going on over the next few months.

thats not a solution, that seems like way more complicated than it should be.

If I want to play more maps, I have to go on gaf(Which not everyone is on) or reddit, try to get 7 players to play with me on the mode i want, invite them to lobby, set the rules, set a mode and then the map. and then start playing? Ive got a better idea, how about we do random maps online where you can change your gear in the lobby :O that way i dont have to do all this extra crap, i can just jump in and play! :O

there really is no excuse for this map rotation

Pushed the update to my NA Wii U. Went into the game, tried to head to the lobby, got an error, headed back to my home menu, then relaunched the game. Downloading now.

Same. Tried to get into turf war told me software needs to be updated...downloading update now.

Top Bottom