• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon Ver 2.0.0 Patch Notes

Azure J

Wait, Opening Gambit, Damage up and Swim Speed up suck now? I really have fallen out of the meta... Nah damage up always sucked due to the damage cap most weapons have

*shines the Ryechu signal*

Jokes aside, Damage Up is very legit. It's the difference between a charger surviving CQC thanks to half charges getting over the 100 damage point, blaster AoE securing more guaranteed KOs and Octobrush killing in a more consistent 2 strikes or not.

Damage Up also helps a lot of shooter type weapons in terms of consistency of damage output.

the splatoon apologists are one of the worst, "i dont want you to have a preferred control option that you could be better at because i personally do not think you will be better at it" lol what? how is that a good reason?

That's pretty disingenuous. The only the thing the pro controller gives you is a smaller thing to hold, the gamepad is comfortable and offers twin stick options. The touch screen is vital to the way splatoon plays. It's only used in local play by totally changing the nature of the game.

Robotguy

I think they felt people got to level 20 too quickly despite thinking it would take ages so they've tried harder. Still, I expect someone to make to 50 in a week. Always happens with these sorts of things.

I'm more interest in if there are other perks to levels though. Hopefully something more interesting than a golden gatling gun at level 50 (I understand locking weapons behind levels as some may be hard to use but you do reach a point where you are making content fewer players will use).

Wait, Opening Gambit, Damage up and Swim Speed up suck now? I really have fallen out of the meta...
Nah damage up always sucked due to the damage cap most weapons have
If it had more damage up I might actually wear it for the perks. :p
Swim speed up is also good for some builds, but I personally wouldn't want it in combination with opening gambit and damage up.

Volotaire

Thanks OP. There's a great deal to look forward, and I have not scratched the surface with Splatoon yet. I'm only level 11 and have skimmed through other weapons and clothing options.

bart64

Banned
Are people really defending the lack of control options? Apologist come and go I guess.

Pro controller can be used in local multiplayer no? I see no reason they cannot incorporate it into the main game samehow.
It's not just that it cleans up the interface. To check the map, you have to take your eyes away from your screen--a trade-off that creates tension just like all the other mechanics for weapons and gear that help balance the game. It's about creating risk/reward.

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
the splatoon apologists are one of the worst, "i dont want you to have a preferred control option that you could be better at because i personally do not think you will be better at it" lol what? how is that a good reason?

More like "the lack of your preferred control option is a stupid reason not to play or like the game because the existing control options are fine (great even) and not nearly as flawed as you're implying." More control options would be welcome, but the lack of your preferred control option isn't that big a deal.

Jokes aside, Damage Up is very legit. It's the difference between a charger surviving CQC thanks to half charges getting over the 100 damage point, blaster AoE securing more guaranteed KOs and Octobrush killing in a more consistent 2 strikes or not.

Wait, I feel I've missed this discussion in the OT. How many damage ups are needed to make Octobrush 2 hit?

More like "the lack of your preferred control option is a stupid reason not to play or like the game because the existing control options are fine (great even) and not nearly as flawed as you're implying." More control options would be welcome, but the lack of your preferred control option isn't that big a deal.
that wasn't what i was referencing to, but who you are you tell someone whether they should like a controller or not? I love the gamepad, but if someone likes using a pro controller better, they should be given that option.

xaszatm

Banned
Honestly, the biggest problem with the tablet controller is how its designed. If Nintendo were to make another tablet controller (which is unlikely granted), they'd probably re-work it with a smaller screen and a more comfortable grip. With that being said, this is exactly why Gamepad gets so little use. The second a game comes along the finally justifies the Wii U Gamepad, everyone gets up in arms and complains about how the game was made for the controller.

*shines the Ryechu signal*

Damage Up also helps a lot of shooter type weapons in terms of consistency of damage output.
I knew about its power on weapons with no damage cap (which is not all weapons) but not making shooters more consistent (I'd written off damage up as being like bomb range up which nobody used if their weapon did not have bomb subs
and few do even if it does
).

If the Squid girl outfit wanted to suck it would have Haunt, bomb range up and Bomb Sniffer

ryechu

I knew about its power on weapons with no damage cap (which is not all weapons) but not making shooters more consistent (I'd written off damage up as being like bomb range up which nobody used if their weapon did not have bomb subs
and few do even if it does
).

If the Squid girl outfit wanted to suck it would have Haunt, bomb range up and Bomb Sniffer

The weapons in which dmg up are really popular are, on the top of my head: splat charger, splatterscope, e-liter 3k, 3k scope, rapid blaster, blaster, luna blaster, dynamo roller, jet squelcher, splashomatic (to counter def), 52 gal (to counter def), ink brush, octobrush, carbon roller, splattershot pro, splat roller, and the regular splattershot. Needless to say its one of the most popular abilities in the game, at least in the A ranks. Cant say i know much about other metas.

It serves as a charge up for chargers, a range up for shooters, kill range up for rollers, and it scales up aoe dmg. It makes the rapid blaster good, although for that one you need like 3 dmg up mains minimum. Also, given that the slosher is scales linearly based on distance AND it has burst bombs, you can bet people are going to stack those biceps on slosher builds as well. I honestly thought they were going to buff def up because of how good and popular damage up is.

Damage up also helps with max range damage and enables splat bombs to kill with 2 shots. It is legit.

Also I suspect people crying about the Pro Controller haven't really played the game and don't know how essential the gamepad is in Splatoon.

Was there any reason given for them overhauling Urchin Underpass? I think the changes look great but it's one of my favorite stages so I'm curious.

ryechu

Damage up also helps with max range damage and enables splat bombs to kill with 2 shots. It is legit.

Also I suspect people crying about the Pro Controller haven't really played the game and don't know how essential the gamepad is in Splatoon.

They arent crying. What would they have to lose? It's not like they play. They are puffing themselves up.

ryechu

Was there any reason given for them overhauling Urchin Underpass? I think the changes look great but it's one of my favorite stages so I'm curious.

It was too easy to lock the entire team out, especially with competent chargers. Pretty sure every sz game i played in urchin recently was either 100-0 or the lagging team took control mid way and and then went 100 points straight.

Robotguy

They didn't specify a reason as far as I'm aware, but the stage is very campable. Once you get pushed out of the middle area and the enemy team has good ink coverage in the center there aren't really any safe approach options.

Madao

the Ika Musume costume could be stealthily released as some generic costume since a lot of people wouldn't even know where it is from.

They arent crying. What would they have to lose? It's not like they play. They are puffing themselves up.
Umm I have a lot of hours in the game and am A+99. The gamepad as currently implemented is integral to gameplay, but as I have suggested there are ways to make it not integral to make gamepad-less controls viable. You can also have a gamepad+pro controller setup if it gets your rocks off.

Crayolan

I assume it's because it was probably the least popular map. I recall a few favorite/least favorite map polls going around (including one from Famitsu) and it always topped the least favorite category.

In terms of actual gameplay, the center is far too easy to hold for a competent team and the choke points are a nightmare to break through for the offensive team. On top of that, the most interesting part of the map, the area near spawn, almost never sees any action outside of tower control.

It's a very poorly designed map and people have been very vocal about this so it's nice to see them actually doing something about it.

Geg

Nah, the Famitsu poll had Bluefin Depot, Arowana Mall, and Port Mackerel. But yeah they probably realized how campy that map was at the higher levels. When I was playing splat zones in the C through B ranks it was one of my favorite maps for that, but after playing turf wars with gaf it's hilarious to see how easily broken and exploitable the stage's layout is if you have one or two good chargers

Heng

Wait, I feel I've missed this discussion in the OT. How many damage ups are needed to make Octobrush 2 hit?
The octobrush can 2 hit without damage up but you have to face a certain way and stand at a certain distance. I'm not sure how damage up actually works for octobrush but I think it increases the distance you have to stand and it will help finish off enemies that have taken damage prior to your engagement.

ryechu

Umm I have a lot of hours in the game and am A+99. The gamepad as currently implemented is integral to gameplay, but as I have suggested there are ways to make it not integral to make gamepad-less controls viable. You can also have a gamepad+pro controller setup if it gets your rocks off.

motion controls are vital to the game. By adding pro support they are risking making the uncomfortable size of the gamepad a confounding factor towards rejecting motion outright.

Consumers are not going to make intelligent decisions when something is new. They are far too conservative for that. Of course they are risking criticism and decreased sales, but the lack of alternate control options are the least valid of those criticisms, in m opinion.

ryechu

Nono, I meant the Squid Girl one, lol. Dude looks better than the girl in the sushi chef suit (imo). I mostly play as the male squid, so I was just kinda sad with how butchered his Squid Girl costume is. </3

his squidgirl costume is cute. if i didnt know about ika musume, I would like the male one better.

When does this patch hit ET? Wanna give the slosher a go, seems really good to use behind cover

Holy shit look at Urchin Underpass now

ryechu

You're right. Smash bros is a far more competitive game by design and I see the controller choice having a far bigger effect there than splatoon.

Its difficult to compare fighters and team based shooters in competitiveness. And ROFL on "by design", you kinda thew your argument out the window before it could even get started. And no, controller choice would have more effect on Splatoon because yes/no motion control is more significant than the tactility and location of buttons and sticks.

phanphare

Banned
You're right. Smash bros is a far more competitive game by design and I see the controller choice having a far bigger effect there than splatoon.

you missed the point I was making

smash bros. isn't really doing anything with the gamepad other than using its standard controller inputs. hell, I don't think you can even tap the menu icons on the gamepad (which always bugged me....unless they patched that in recently). so having other control options makes sense for that game because any other controller will work fine because it will have all the inputs accounted for. that is not the case with splatoon.

anyway I think the control discussion has gone on long enough for me ;p

stay fresh yall

considering that all the controllers have the same input method (sticks + buttons) and are all equivalent in accuracy, that comparison doesn't work.

If you think it's a "choice" you're thinking about it wrong. You're deciding to race a car with square wheels.

The octobrush can 2 hit without damage up but you have to face a certain way and stand at a certain distance. I'm not sure how damage up actually works for octobrush but I think it increases the distance you have to stand and it will help finish off enemies that have taken damage prior to your engagement.
Yup. Based on responses I got from walkman it sounds like the octobrush naturally 2 hits if you hit with the brush, but if you're further away the damage becomes less consistent and it starts going up to 3 or more hits.

No, I don't think it's possible to stack enough Damage Ups to make Burst Bombs OHKO. They will only 2HKO at best.

The only case I've heard of in which number of hits to kill was ever improved was for the Octobrush, going from 3 hits to 2. My explanation probably doesn't do justice; I think there's some other nuance to it, like the amount of splatter from waving the Octobrush also mattering.
Not 100% sure but I think if you hit them with the actual brush it's a 2 hit kill and that's why damage ups can bring the spray to a 2 hit kill as well. Either that or maybe a certain part of the brush.
I just tested it out, with 0 damage ups it is possible to hit 50.8 or 55.5 so it can kill in 2 shots. You have to hit with it somewhere near the tip, but I'm not really sure where or if it's 100% because it seems random, from the same spot I have hit in the 30's as well. It depends on the splash as well I think
Edit: with a jump attack I was able to hit 64.7 a few times, so the thing is pretty powerful. And I like both the Kraken-On and octobrush, and the octobrush has a faster roll mode as an escape method or to run through enemy territory. Also it creates a wider path on swings then the Krak-on so it will be harder for enemies to escape in those directions

Zero²

Flounder heights lol
And damn those new winning animations are so cute :3
I assume it's because it was probably the least popular map. I recall a few favorite/least favorite map polls going around (including one from Famitsu) and it always topped the least favorite category.

In terms of actual gameplay, the center is far too easy to hold for a competent team and the choke points are a nightmare to break through for the offensive team. On top of that, the most interesting part of the map, the area near spawn, almost never sees any action outside of tower control.

It's a very poorly designed map and people have been very vocal about this so it's nice to see them actually doing something about it.
They really should do something about Port Mackarel though...

-Horizon-

Urchin Underpass got a well deserved upgrade. Those funnels of death aka the choke points out of your area into the middle were terrible.

The Giant

Banned
UMxDJHN.png

We make good team.

Top Bottom