• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 Announced, Q4 2016, Creative Assembly (300+ emp Sega studio), Win10/XB1

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Neat. I liked the first one. The controls worked well for console. I'm glad to see this come to PC since I don't got an xbox

Man this is awesome. Hopefully they don't make the controls too complicated for console gamers.

I imagine they'd stick to the setup the original had. Literally the entire purpose of that project when it first started was to develop a console friendly UI/control scheme for RTSes. Would seem backwards to ditch that now, even if it is a new studio.

Gurrry

Fucking incredible. I played the shit out of Halo Wars. Me and my friend once had a 3 hour epic back and forth match with 2 other randoms online, it was basically a test of endurance and the other guys ended up quitting.

We used to have a bad ass rush down with nothing but locusts that seriously won 95% of the time. We had it down to an exact science on each map.

I CANT WAIT FOR THIS GAME GUYS!!

Spoo

Didn't care for the first one, but I will buy and play it because Creative Assembly is awesome (and because they need all the monies they can get for Alien 2)

4Tran

So my dream of Xcom like Halo Wars?....
I doubt that they're going with a new genre if they decided to keep the Halo Wars name. Besides, Creative Assembly doesn't make turn-based strategy games other than that mobile game, so they'd be a poor choice as a developer.

I imagine they'd stick to the setup the original had. Literally the entire purpose of that project when it first started was to develop a console friendly UI/control scheme for RTSes. Would seem backwards to ditch that now, even if it is a new studio.
It's been so many years since Halo Wars that I wouldn't be surprised if they thought that its interface wasn't good enough. The PC version will definitely be different than the one in Halo Wars, and this game may follow the PC version's lead.

Vinc

So very happy with this! It would be really cool to use the Xbox app to control the game with KB&M on Xbox One somehow. I'd love that feature!

Interesting that they're continuing the "one Halo title per year" trend, I think they're doing it extremely well. I wonder what will be there in 2017... maybe Halo 3 Anniversary!

So ... on a lore/story note, this new Brute Chieftain must be one hell of a badass.

Spartan II's are monsters of brute physical strength. To best one in pure strength ... YO. And it's Blur, so the cutscenes are going to be on point!

Bizzquik

Interesting that they're continuing the "one Halo title per year" trend, I think they're doing it extremely well. I wonder what will be there in 2017... maybe Halo 3 Anniversary!

I'd love to see Microsoft try a third genre with Halo.
Not sure what'd it be - role playing, open world, etc - but I know there are more stories to tell in that universe.

Sorcerer

I wonder how MS even bypassed Sega to get CA to work on this. I guess there is precedent for Sega to allow their IP and teams to be tied to other publishers exclusively anyways this gen. That's awesome though.

I doubt MS bypassed Sega. I assume MS handed over a boatload of money to Sega and Sega gave Creative Assembly their next assignment. Sega's name will appear in the fine print somewhere.

Not sure what'd it be - role playing, open world, etc - but I know there are more stories to tell in that universe.

I'd love to see a third genre, but I don't really know what I'd want to see most either. I'd probably be down for just about anything as long as the story was good. An RPG could be interesting. Although I have thought a tactical TPS Forerunner game could be pretty awesome.

Honestly though I still want to see another FPS spin-off expansion a la ODST. Halo 5: Sangheili Commandoes or something.

4Tran

In addition to FPS and RTS, Halo: Spartan Assault is a twin-stick shooter. It's probably not what you're looking for though.

Hawk269

I really like the conference, but Halo Wars 2 announcement floored me. Outside of Shenmue 3, this was one game I did not think they would continue, so I am really in shock and very happy.

Like many of you, I played a lot of the original game and still boot it up from time to time. It is so different than the majority of games on consoles and I think if they continue with the same formula it will be a great game. Controls were great in the first game, they just need to embrace a little more freedom like being able to place your bases where you want and then letting the AI randomly place the other bases you can take over.

I also think they need to improve the ability to place additional defenses for your base outside of the 4 corners of the base. Perhaps allow the 4 corners and then at the cost of units place free standing defense turrets where you want, this would allow people to decide to more offense or more defense since they would count as units for the additional defense turrets.

Wonder when we will get gameplay or screenshots of the game. It being a 2016 title, I would assume we are not far off of getting them since they demoed late 2016 games at both E3 and today, so hopefully we get more details very soon.

Tablo

Another sad reminder that Microsoft dissolved Ensemble.
Pretty much this :(
Halo Wars is one of my favorite games, an amazing control scheme that made it fun to play for hours at a time.

I wonder if the sequel will live up, Ensemble Studios was a special group.

Back in the Halo Wars reveal trailer (original game), I always thought it was going to be a Star Wars Battlefront-like game.

Still hoping that a game like that comes someday. Let us play as all of the Covenant and Human soldier types!

But, it's cool that Halo Wars is getting another chance. Only game in the franchise I never finished (besides the mobile games)

Hawk269

Man this is awesome. Hopefully they don't make the controls too complicated for console gamers.

Controls for the first Halo Wars were amazing. They need to keep the same control layout as they had in the 1st game. It worked amazingly well.

Third person action RPG where you play as an Elite hundreds/thousands of years before the events of Halo. Pure melee action with some ranged weapons here and there.

Or perhaps a stealth game where you play as an ONI operative infiltrating innie/rebel bases.

Or Dr Halsey, a Dr Mario clone where you carefully position falling pieces of AI code to build AI constructs in real time.

edit: I would love a game of pure space battles. Play as UNSC admirals commanding human fleets against covenant's.

Hawk269

Back in the Halo Wars reveal trailer (original game), I always thought it was going to be a Star Wars Battlefront-like game.

Still hoping that a game like that comes someday. Let us play as all of the Covenant and Human soldier types!

But, it's cool that Halo Wars is getting another chance. Only game in the franchise I never finished (besides the mobile games)

When it comes to Backwards Compatibility (which it will) do yourself a favor and finish the campaign. The single player in HW was really good and the Story was great. I do hope in the sequel that they make 2 Stories to play through (one for each side) unless there is a 3rd playable faction, then make it 3! :)

If Microsoft added another genre Halo game to the lineup, that could actually be really interesting for their "one halo every year" they seem to be aiming for. That way they could give each game 3 years to incubate and each one would play like an entirely different game.

Imagine if they just rotated between FPS to RTS to RPG then back to the front every year. It would keep every year unique and not 'just another FPS Halo'

sector4

Halo_Spartan_Assault_HD_Cover.jpg

??

krang

Good Lord, no! Halo 5 was about the only game at their conference yesterday that wasn't open world!

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
So ... on a lore/story note, this new Brute Chieftain must be one hell of a badass.

Spartan II's are monsters of brute physical strength. To best one in pure strength ... YO. And it's Blur, so the cutscenes are going to be on point!

S2's are equal in physical strength to Elites, while Brutes are naturally stronger than both IIRC.

patapuf

I know it won't be, but i wish this was some C&C like micro heavy thing... I need a good RTS that's not starcraft :(

It's about time we saw how badass the Brutes can be. I always felt they were unfairly turned into bullet sponges in mainline Halo.

They didn't show much strategy or the crazy brute strength you'd expect them to have, so it's nice to finally see them get their dues.

Yeoman

Awesome news. I loved the first one, though I only got about a third into the campaign. I just continuously played Skirmish.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
It's about time we saw how badass the Brutes can be. I always felt they were unfairly turned into bullet sponges in mainline Halo.

They didn't show much strategy or the crazy brute strength you'd expect them to have, so it's nice to finally see them get their dues.

I'm hopin that 343i is waiting to unveil the return of the Brute Chopper for Halo 5 closer to launch.

One of the best vehicles ever to grace Halo, and they keep it locked up in one game. I dont ever care if I dont fight Brutes in SP, gimme that goodness in MP.

Novoitus

Banned
The 1st Halo Wars had no depth at all but I loved the concept of an RTS Halo. Really hope that Creative Assembly can create a deep RTS experience w/ Halo.

I'm pretty excited just because it's Creative Assembly.

Enthus

On PC? Cool. Don't know if I'll bite, though. It will probably be held back as an RTS by sharing development with consoles.

Pretty much this :(
Halo Wars is one of my favorite games, an amazing control scheme that made it fun to play for hours at a time.

I wonder if the sequel will live up, Ensemble Studios was a special group.

Ensemble knew why they got dissolved they even said from a finacial stand point they werent a healthy studio. always said it will cost this much and this long and took way longer and cost twice as much.

Top Bottom