• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 Announced, Q4 2016, Creative Assembly (300+ emp Sega studio), Win10/XB1

Tagyhag

I'm glad that it's coming but I won't be truly excited until we see actual gameplay.

I mean, will be PC version even have command groups? I'd find it hilariously sad if it only had ALL UNITS/LOCAL UNITS.

I just hope that Creative don't try to cater to console fans and PC fans and end up pleasing neither. It's going to be very interesting to see what kind of comprising they choose.

Draft

If this is meant to be played with a controller, BFD. An X360 pad has been plugged into my computer for years.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hiring for Free to Play.... eh???

Creative Assembly has a lot of teams and it a very large studio.

Console Team: Was doing Alien, though I'm not sure if they're making Alien 2 or this now.
Total War Team 1: Historical Total War games
Total War Team 2: Warhammer Total War games
Total War F2P Team: Total War Arena
Total War F2P/Mobile Team: Total War... Kingdoms I think

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I updated the title a bit to help people confused about why they seem to have so many games in development.

Alien was made by a peak team size of 100, which is less than 1/3rd the studio.

OMG OMG OMG. TAKE MY MONEY.. TAKE ALL OF MY FUCKING MONEY!
Window 10 and Xbox One, please be cross platform play

Nah, I'll pass on that. Maybe cross platform lobbies, but I want a choice in that. Balance should always be priority IMO.

I don't want that thrusted on me if it puts me at an inherent disadvantage.

Nah, I'll pass on that. Maybe cross platform lobbies, but I want a choice in that. Balance should always be priority IMO.

I was thinking that. For Crossplay in games it should be between 2 lobbies. Platform only and Cross Platform. That way if it turns out completely unbalanced you can retreat to where you will be able to have a fair game... then if you want to take on the challenge or play with friends you can go crossplay if needed

krang

I was thinking that. For Crossplay in games it should be between 2 lobbies. Platform only and Cross Platform. That way if it turns out completely unbalanced you can retreat to where you will be able to have a fair game... then if you want to take on the challenge or play with friends you can go crossplay if needed

I wonder if they could actually split it by controller type more than platform. No reason why an XB1 player on a controller wouldn't be on a par with a Win10 player also using a controller. And the same with mouse and keyboard, if that is indeed supported by next year.

So I suppose Anders and Cutter will be returning, Forge more than likely not. Man I know I'm probably the minority but I absolutely loved Halo Wars campaign / story. So excited to see these characters again

AYF 001

First, Halo Wars had post launch balancing at launch. They nerfed warthog rushes, which were completely broken, as well as a few other tweaks. Where they left it, it was pretty balanced. You could win with any of the 6 heros in Halo Wars if you played your cards right.

Second, ff I recall, a 14 star Grizzlie with spartan pilot could take out a no star scarab easily, barely beat a one star, but would lose to a two or three star scarab.
I knew they had a patch or two, sorry for being vague. But eventually a lot of people learned how to cheese the Covie heroes real hard with quite a few different rushes, usually involves banshees or hunters. Especially in 3v3 there were the folks who would just build supply bases and shield generators, while their friends just transfer supplies so they could rush scarabs and put 30 engineers on them to make them virtually invincible.

Forge has to be back, surely.

I would love for him to be, as he was an awesome dude even if he was just a "bald space marine". I loved the character. But
How is he not dead? He sacrificed himself at the end of the game?

Also just had an interesting thought. MS made a decent sized hoopla over keyboard and mouse support for the Xbone, what if they have a CE version of Halo Wars that comes with a custom keyboard and mouse plus game for $150? That would be pretty damned legit

Aki-at

Since this is Creative Assembly I guess we won't be seeing Alien: Isolation 2 for a very long time, if ever.

Have faith brother, have faith!

Creative Assembly has a lot of teams and it a very large studio.

Console Team: Was doing Alien, though I'm not sure if they're making Alien 2 or this now.
Total War Team 1: Historical Total War games
Total War Team 2: Warhammer Total War games
Total War F2P Team: Total War Arena
Total War F2P/Mobile Team: Total War... Kingdoms I think

Their console team was hiring someone with experience for online multiplatform for a multiplatform project for Playstation 4, Xbox One and PC. http://www.pcgamer.com/creative-assembly-hiring-for-multi-platform-aaa-blockbuster/

I mean, it could be Halo Wars? But it very well be a historical Total War since they haven't got a project announced yet since Rome II released in 2013.

krang

Have faith brother, have faith!

Their console team was hiring someone with experience for online multiplatform for a multiplatform project for Playstation 4, Xbox One and PC. http://www.pcgamer.com/creative-assembly-hiring-for-multi-platform-aaa-blockbuster/

I mean, it could be Halo Wars? But it very well be a historical Total War since they haven't got a project announced yet since Rome II released in 2013.

Probably not a bad way to advertise without drawing suspicion.

TimmiT

It did well, but relative to Sega's expectations it wasn't enough.
This is false. A lot of sites misreported that Alien Isolation didn't meet sales expectations, while really the sales report where they got that from didn't say that. What it did say was that SEGA was disappointed with sales of their games that year in general, while Isolation was by far the best selling game. It's more likely that they were talking about the sales of games like Sonic Boom.

Danny 117

Still can't believe this has been announced. Was always hoping for a sequel but thought the franchise was dead deep down.

I hope they are able to iterate on what ensemble did but keep it feeling familiar to Halo Wars players.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Finally RTS can be played like it's meant to be, in awesome Halo style with a holy mouse and keyboard!
Yesyesyes I've waited so long for this!

4Tran

I don't think that the first Halo Wars game was worth following up on, but putting the second one on PC is potentially intriguing. However, while I like Creative Assembly, they don't seem to make the kind of RTS games that would be suitable for this title. Still, they might surprise and deliver something good. Of the Sega developers, Relic would have been a better choice, but they're smaller than Creative Assembly and they're probably busy on the next Dawn of War.

It could technically be anything, but I really doubt that Creative Assembly is going to bother with making a multiplatform mainline Total War game. There are just so many things about that series that makes it a bad idea on consoles.

Jinaar

Wouldn't it be great if the original HALO WARS gets released with it at the same time? On PC? I just jammed my pants.

I believe they are trying to build in mechanisms to not HAVE to use cross-play if you don't want. For example, I know Gigantic allows you the option of playing cross-plat or not

"Reid said one thing Motiga has already decided is that cross-platform play is going to be purely opt-in, so you won’t end up competing against players on different machines without knowing. He also said the feature won’t be used for ranked matches."

http://www.geekwire.com/2015/micros...explains-how-it-will-work-on-xbox-windows-10/

I would imagine this might be the case for almsot every game with cross-play

I actually hope this doesn't play like Total War.

It should be just Halo Wars 1, with better graphics, a 3rd playable faction, some general improvements, and lots of maps

Tecnniqe

Banned
I actually hope this doesn't play like Total War.

It should be just Halo Wars 1, with better graphics, a 3rd playable faction, some general improvements, and lots of maps
From the sound of the webpage it seems like it's halo wars 1 style but the massive battles in it I never saw. But I hope they don't change it all that much.
"Halo Wars 2

“Halo Wars 2” is an exciting new strategy game packed with fast-paced action, massive battles, and an all-new Halo story, coming to Xbox One and Windows 10 in fall of 2016. Developed by Creative Assembly, a SEGA company and the creators of the popular “Total War™” series, in partnership with 343 Industries, “Halo Wars 2” is the sequel to the game that redefined real-time strategy on consoles."

Akai__

Boooo we wanted Age of Empires 4!
Halo Wars was a mediocre RTS (campaign/gameplay) with a nice Halo theme...

Speak for yourself...

And CA isn't the only strategy game developer out there. Microsoft formed Decisive Games to bring back a "beloved strategy franchise".

Top Bottom