• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Exec: We're Doing Things That "Cant Be Done" on PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kosma

Banned
Wait PS4 doesn't have cross play with PC with games like FF14?

Does Xbox have cross play with FF14?

Torgo

*Power of the Cloud*

lol

Also, there ARE games that support cross-play between PS4 and PC, like Rocket League ;-)

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
True. But also common sense.

I also can't play my Xbox One games on my Vita from afar. Or play PS4 games on my Surface.

This is kind of a silly statement.

glaurung

Interesting claim.

Xbox to Windows 10 streaming is the only thing that I know to be a cool little feature. Then again, you can't do anything else with the Xbox One when it's streaming, so it's a bit daft. Plus they hid the best quality streaming setting from us from day one.

Other than that?

Fair enough on backwards compatibility. Cross buy is something Sony has had forever within the Playstation ecosystem (which will be the same now for Microsoft based on where the MS store is), cross play is another things thats been around for a bit within PS ecosystem and even with PC (Portal 2, SFV and I think others).

*shrugs* Guess you got to have those bullet points and downplay the competition. For the most part sounds like Apple with large screen iPhones and claiming its the next big thing meanwhile Samsung had been doing it for years. Ah well.

iMax

To be fair, he is right. PS4 doesn't do backward compatibility, PC streaming, or cloud compute. But the ball's in their court to do it. It certainly isn't a case of "can't be done". Probably more like "won't".

Alienous

Oh, cross buy.

I thought the quote was about the Cloud Computing. I was going to argue that, technically, that can't be done on an Xbox One either.

Somebody reset the PR incident clock, please

We're now at 2 minutes on the PR Doomsday Clock until the next incident.

Oh ok, why doesn't the xbox have FF14? Bit odd.

MS is VERY, VERY strict on cross-play with things that aren't Xbox. MS has only had a handful of games have cross-play functionality.

Ironically enough, one of those games is Final Fantasy XI, which has players from PS2, PC and Xbox 360.

Oh ffs. Just shut the fuck up and make some games worth buying.

And aside from Rocket League isn't SFV supposed to be cross play? And not a PC/PS4 exclusive but the Division as well? Come on.

Justinh

There's a bottom of my foot joke here somewhere, but I'm lost without mah coffee.

okay, okay how about, you can appear invisible on the xbox one, in fact the xbox one appears invisible to most of Japan?

alright, I'm leaving...

kadotsu

Banned
That means the XBOX One is directly competing with the PS3, which did all that is mentioned and more with Portal 2.

I was waiting for someone to post this article.

My snarky response: That is awesome Microsoft but Sony are doing something that can't be done with your console: Sell more worldwide.

Cross Buy on Xbox One and PC would be great, but is this going to happen? I understood it as buy on Xbox One and stream that version to PC.

To be fair, he is right. PS4 doesn't do backward compatibility, PC streaming, or cloud compute. But the ball's in their court to do it. It certainly isn't a case of "can't be done". Probably more like "won't".

Doesn't do PC Streaming, but I can stream to my phone which I can then "Side Sync" to my PC, meaning I can play PS4 on my laptop screen.... for some reason, if I wanted to.

Dunkley

Oh ok, why doesn't the xbox have FF14? Bit odd.

Ironically enough, because Xbox (360 at least) didn't allow, by policy, cross-play with other platforms.

The game director of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn has explained the title won't be coming to Microsoft consoles as Xbox Live policies don't support cross-play with other platforms.

They stated that they are still open for Microsoft to change their policy on that.

Literally just Fable Legends, a F2P game that hasn't even released yet. Also, can't really cross-buy a F2P game. So Xbox One has 0 cross-buy titles, and 1 potential cross-play title, while PS4 has Rocket League, FF14, and maybe some others I can't think of right now, and they're not even bragging about it. Pretty damn sure I also recently heard a dev say that Microsoft wouldn't let them do cross-play. :/

The fuck.

And as great as backwards compatibility is, maybe they should have just left it at that? They gonna start bragging about using blu-ray disks too?

It's typical exec flag-waving bullshit, but I still think the Win 10 - Xbone interaction is pretty cool.

Okay, so technically it "can't be done" on Sony platforms because you can't stream PS4 to PC, but come on. It's the same thing in spirit.
You can stream PS4 to several other devices though. Making the app for PC would be easy, but then they wouldn't be able to sell us PS TVs.

Ha.

Guy needs to do research, already PS4/PC cross play isn't there?
Yeah, with one of the most popular MMOs out right now as well. Quite a feat.

Velkyn

It's typical exec flag-waving bullshit, but I still think the Win 10 - Xbone interaction is pretty cool.

Okay, so technically it "can't be done" on Sony platforms because you can't stream PS4 to PC, but come on. It's the same thing in spirit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom