• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Exec: We're Doing Things That "Cant Be Done" on PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velkyn

Can't we agree that both the PS4 and the Xbone have compelling exclusives and are both worth owning? It's not like only one platform can have good exclusives this year...

Huh...that's really bizzare, when FFXI 360 came out, I'm pretty sure they weren't new servers...

Yes, and SE won't put FFXIV on Xbone if they can't play on the same servers. Hence, no FF14 on Xbone.

To be fair, the quote you quoted is kind of old -- Yoshi-P is 'negotiating' with MS still on bringing 14 to Xbone, but has stated many time sin the past, if they can't play on the same servers, then it won't happen. MS won't make an exception, and SE doesn't want to split the playerbase of their MMO and operate an entirely separate server farm for a playerbase that may or may not be there.

Hm, I hope they push crossplay and crossbuy between Xbox and PC more, but its not like Ps4 doesn't have Crossplay and Crossbuy(I'm not sure if there are any Ps4/PC crossbuy titles though).

But overall its pretty standard that console do things other consoles can't do.
Ps4 has RemotePlay, PsNow and soon Morpheus.
XboxOne has Backwards Compatibility, Kinect and cloud(not sure whether or not Sony would want to do that, too).

Banned
cmWg8PA.gif

Once the comparisons start you know shit flinging is going to start.

Justified

Huh...that's really bizzare, when FFXI 360 came out, I'm pretty sure they weren't new servers...

MS was heavy into trying to capture the JPN market share then. Lots of JRPGS came out on 360 also. So they made an exception for it, but it definitely was not the rule

Dunkley

Yoshi-P is apparently in talks with Phil Spencer and co. to get a special exception on that.

I mean, it worked with FFXI, but MS was desperate for JPN marketshare then.

Well, that's fantastic news. I do hope they manage to get that exception so my Xbox One friends can play this game with me too.

teiresias

Source? Because XI was shared between PS2 PC and 360, wasn't it?

Like I said above, I'm pretty sure I saw that it was because of the Steam version of XIV that they're leery.

You may be right, I'm not sure which platform was causing the problem with XIV, but regardless it's obviously new policy this gen since they had no issue with any cross-play between all those platforms with XI. It's a stupid "executive decision" hold up.

GHG

Gold Member
They are better at bullshit PR & Marketing, that's for sure.

They have people believing things that aren't even remotely true about the console and competitive landscape.

That's some achievement, I have to say.

iMax

There's 12 months in a year. PS4 has more than double the games. I don't do list wars so you won't get a run down from me.

Sony killed it in Q1 and Q2. But their Q3/Q4 lineup is lacking. That's probably what he's referring to, especially as their whole message post-E3 has been focused on the three core holiday exclusives they're pushing.

Why do XB execs constantly talk about Sony? Seriously can someone, anyone, tell me the last time someone high up in the PS organization took the time out to mention XB specifically what they're doing and what they're up to. I follow Phil Spencer on twitter and even yesterday and he was talking about PSX but yet, none of the PS execs were talking about gamescon. Since it had nothing to do with them as they didn't attend.

It just seems weird to me.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
But that was my point. It's not a case of "can't" be done. Obviously it can. But it isn't being done on the scale Microsoft is doing.

But that's a different point than his, so i'm not sure if 'to be fair, he is right' on that :)

Velkyn

Well, that's fantastic news. I do hope they manage to get that exception so my Xbox One friends can play this game with me too.

Yeah, I've been playing since August 2013, and I'd be super stoked if it came out on Xbone. Everyone needs a chance to experience how great this game is, no matter what platform they own.

I'd agree, MS have opportunities to leverage the Windows 10 ecosystem and its cloud and mobile first strategy that are unique to them right now. Everything MS does is theoretically possible for Sony too, but MS are better positioned right now. Xbox is not just the console anymore. It's an ecosystem across multiple devices.

BigDug13

Yes PS4 AND PS3 have cross play with FFXIV on PC. Xbox doesn't have the game full stop.

War Thunder devs have stated the same reasons why their game isn't on XBO. Lack of cross play.

I'm intrigued about this factual lie, MS have a very strong winter line up. How do Sony have more AAA exclusives?

There's a difference between "we have more exclusive games" and "we have more exclusive AAA games". And when you make a statement saying the first one when only the second one is true, then you are lying.

Three

Yikes what? I really don't want to get into list wars, really. He said "we've got more exclusives", article mentions games in 2016 guy didn't even set 2015 but even then it wouldn't be true. Even with the criteria that it's games in 2015 it's still got less. It's only when you start saying things like yeah "but I don't like that game" or some other personal opinion about why things shouldn't count. In other words there is absolutely no way that bullshit statement is true even if you start setting qualifiers that were not even mentioned.

dugdug

Banned
Why do XB execs constantly talk about Sony? Seriously can someone, anyone tell me the last time high up in the organization talk the time out to mention XB specifically what they're doing and what they're up to. I follow Phil Spencer on twitter and yesterday and he was talking about PSX but yet, none of the PS execs were talking about gamescon.

To be fair, press are constantly asking them about Sony. Regarding Phil's tweets, that's just goodguyPhil doing goodguyPhil stuff.

iMax

The topic is not a matter of opinion.

You can't decide that in your opinion that 9 > 12.

True, but depends on what you're talking about: AAA vs. all games, holiday vs. entire year, etc... To be honest, I was just referring to the holiday season as Microsoft is with their messaging at the moment.

GHG

Gold Member
Sony killed it in Q1 and Q2. But their Q3/Q4 lineup is lacking. That's probably what he's referring to, especially as their whole message post-E3 has been focused on the three core holiday exclusives they're pushing.

You're making bold assumptions here to try and back up your previous statement.

What the exec said is incorrect and you believed him. Rather than dig yourself into the same hole that he's in you should be asking yourself why you believed him in the 1st place.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Meanwhile at PSX.....

"We are proudly to announce, that PS4 remote play will have a native app for every IOS and Android/TV device.

And we are launching it.....today"

"Mac, Windows and Linux apps will release in the near feature"

Why do XB execs constantly talk about Sony? Seriously can someone, anyone, tell me the last time someone high up in the PS organization took the time out to mention XB specifically what they're doing and what they're up to. I follow Phil Spencer on twitter and even yesterday and he was talking about PSX but yet, none of the PS execs were talking about gamescon. Since it had nothing to do with them as they didn't attend.

Usually MS PR gets hounded by 'hard-hitting journalists' (they underdog always gets hounded).

That being said, I'm sure Phil Spencer wishes he could be the only PR man for Xbox. Phil's the best thing to happen to the xbox brand in quite a while, IMO.

DrkSage

Microsofts xbox PR department screwing up again. Oh my, my... How I missed it.
colbert-popcorn.gif

Word of advice, let Phil do the talking.

iMax

But that's a different point than his, so i'm not sure if 'to be fair, he is right' on that :)

They are "doing things" that aren't being done on PS4. But "can't" is the wrong word because there's nothing stopping Sony going down that path themselves. It's just a question of whether they will. But right now, I'd say the point pretty much stands.

True, but depends on what you're talking about: AAA vs. all games, holiday vs. entire year, etc... To be honest, I was just referring to the holiday season as Microsoft is with their messaging at the moment.

If you frame it right enough you can make anything look good.

Wasn't Microsoft that said they sold the most consoles in the shortest period of time when they didn't got near the PS4 at launch?

FuturusX

Can't we agree that both the PS4 and the Xbone have compelling exclusives and are both worth owning? It's not like only one platform can have good exclusives this year...

Yes we can. But we can also agree that PR people have a propensity to be loose with the truth, talk copious amounts of poop and are generally the source of much hilarity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom