• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Exec: We're Doing Things That "Cant Be Done" on PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting claim.

Xbox to Windows 10 streaming is the only thing that I know to be a cool little feature. Then again, you can't do anything else with the Xbox One when it's streaming, so it's a bit daft. Plus they hid the best quality streaming setting from us from day one.

Other than that?
They aren't hiding anything from you. It's that way for a reason, it's still being tested.

iMax

Yikes what? I really don't want to get into list wars, really. He said "we've got more exclusives", article mentions games in 2016 guy didn't even set 2015 but even then it wouldn't be true. Even with the criteria that it's games in 2015 it's still got less. It's only when you start saying things like yeah "but I don't like that game" or some other personal opinion about why things shouldn't count. In other words there is absolutely no way that bullshit statement is true even if you start setting qualifiers that were not even mentioned.

As I said, I'm assuming Kudo is just referring to the holiday lineup Microsoft is heavily pushing right now. You're right, extending the selection to the entire year encompassing all types of games, it's another story.

To be fair, he is right. PS4 doesn't do backward compatibility, PC streaming, or cloud compute. But the ball's in their court to do it. It certainly isn't a case of "can't be done". Probably more like "won't".
Uh, PS4 does do backwards compatibility, just through a paid service that's been around longer than the Xbox One's backwards compatibility feature. It doesn't do PC streaming, but it does do streaming to PS TV, PS Vita, and some mobile devices. Its streaming feature has been available for longer, and is better at the moment than the Xbox One's. And finally, Xbox One doesn't do cloud computing yet, or cross-play. Unreleased games don't count, especially if they end up being shit, in which case no amount of cloud computing will matter.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
"For a long time we've had PC gamers and console gamers who weren't really able to play together," Tsunoda told GameIndustry International. "That's why cross-play is still such a powerful idea. You should be able to play what you love, and play together, regardless of what device you're playing on. It's about connecting people."

"It's a really unique value that only we can offer," he added. "You still need very gamer-focused values, but there's lots of things you can do with our technology. We've really got a lot more going on [than our competitors]. We're doing things that can't be done on any other console."

Speaking of gamer focused value, how about NOT charging one group of your fanbase to play online with the other group of your fanbase that plays for free?

Y'know, since we're talking about that gamer focused value?

Oersted

OP should have actually posted the original source

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...things-that-cant-be-done-on-any-other-console

and quote what he said

"With backwards compatibility, it isn't something that we just think gamers might want," Tsunoda says. "We know. We're looking for and soliciting that feedback. It was the number one most requested feature for Xbox One by far."

Sony has no plans to match Microsoft in this respect, and the possibility of monetising those games through PlayStation Now makes it very unlikely that it ever will. For Microsoft, it's part of a broader view of gaming with Windows 10 at its core, which should, in theory, unite the previously disparate tendrils of Microsoft's sprawling organisation. PC and console, past and present, existing in harmony, each interacting with and complementing the other. Cross-Buy, Cross-Play, console to PC streaming; one might say that Microsoft should have been doing this for years already. According to Tsunoda, this is a first step.

"It's a really unique value that only we can offer. You still need very gamer-focused values, but there's lots of things you can do with our technology. We've really got a lot more going on [than our competitors]. We're doing things that can't be done on any other console.

"Letting people play games wherever they want, on whatever device they choose, and making that easy. Long term, that's really what we're trying to do as a platform."

You know, context and all that.

iMax

You're making bold assumptions here to try and back up your previous statement.

What the exec said is incorrect and you believed him. Rather than dig yourself into the same hole that he's in you should be asking yourself why you believed him in the 1st place.

Well I'm going by the context here.

Not only does the Xbox One have features and functionality that can't be found or delivered on competing platforms, but the console has a bigger lineup of exclusives than anyone else, Tsunoda said. "We've got a lot more exclusive games than any other platform," he stated.

Some of Microsoft's biggest upcoming Xbox One exclusives for this year include Halo 5: Guardians, Gears of War: Ultimate Edition, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Fable Legends, and Forza Motorsport 6. Looking into next year and beyond, Microsoft has Quantum Break, Sea of Thieves, Recore, and Inside, among others.

Sony, on the other hand, has admitted that its first-party games lineup for this year is "a little sparse."

Can you see how I made that assumption?

Uh, PS4 does do backwards compatibility, just through a paid service. It doesn't do PC streaming, but it does do streaming to PS TV, PS Vita, and some mobile devices. Its streaming feature has been available for longer, and is better at the moment than the Xbox One's. And finally, Xbox One doesn't do cloud computing yet, or cross-play. Unreleased games don't count, especially if they end up being shit, in which case no amount of cloud computing will matter.

Xbox One do already have cloud computing like Forza 5, of course not as much as Crackdown 3 going to use.

iMax

If you frame it right enough you can make anything look good.

Wasn't Microsoft that said they sold the most consoles in the shortest period of time when they didn't got near the PS4 at launch?

Yeah, that was awkward to watch!

Uh, PS4 does do backwards compatibility, just through a paid service that's been around longer than the Xbox One's backwards compatibility feature. It doesn't do PC streaming, but it does do streaming to PS TV, PS Vita, and some mobile devices. Its streaming feature has been available for longer, and is better at the moment than the Xbox One's. And finally, Xbox One doesn't do cloud computing yet, or cross-play. Unreleased games don't count, especially if they end up being shit, in which case no amount of cloud computing will matter.

You mean the one where you have to pay to play the games you already own? How is streaming a game better than playing it natively? Obviously the biggest draw for PSNow is the lineup. It's what, 400 games now?

rLn7Liw.gif

Velkyn

Yes we can. But we can also agree that PR people have a propensity to be loose with the truth, talk copious amounts of poop and are generally the source of much hilarity.

Oh for sure. They know who signs their cheques, so all of that drivel is essentially meaningless. I don't buy consoles based on PR speak, but factually speaking, MS does have a pretty strong winter lineup, backwards compatibility, and neat Windows 10 integration. I don't regret my purchase in the slightest.

NolbertoS

Geez, and I thought Phil Spencer was telling his Xbox minions to make positive PR and not fan the list and console wars and now spec wars [face_rolling_eyes]

Xbox One do already have cloud computing like Forza 5, of course not as much as Crackdown 3 going to use.
Really don't consider something as basic as Drivatar to even count. Really at that point they're mid-development, and someone from Microsoft comes in and tells them they need to throw a feature into their servers, that way they can call it cloud computing and insist that their original idea for the Xbox One was good. Locking away a feature to be always-online.

And yeah, like I said, Crackdown might be utilizing it well to make up for the sub-par hardware in this gen's consoles, but the Crackdown series is well-known for the Halo 3 beta. So.

SerTapTap

Literally just Fable Legends, a F2P game that hasn't even released yet. Also, can't really cross-buy a F2P game. So Xbox One has 0 cross-buy titles, and 1 potential cross-play title, while PS4 has Rocket League, FF14, and maybe some others I can't think of right now, and they're not even bragging about it. Pretty damn sure I also recently heard a dev say that Microsoft wouldn't let them do cross-play. :/

Well they have cross buy DLC it seems. But yes, this is basically pretty high tier bullshit. It's obvious at best (we have minor features PS4 doesn't! (please ignore the stuff PS4 does that we don't)) but funny enough they managed to turn the obvious into lies when they tried to include crossplay (which MS still appears to be actively preventing if it's not via Xbox Live)

Who needs the press when we can create our very own clickbait threads?

"can't be done" is literally a direct quote

Frog-fu

Banned
No lies detected, but the same applies to PS4, but of course MS isn't going to advertise that fact.

Don't see what the fuss is about.

iMax

Really don't consider something as basic as Drivatar to even count. Really at that point they're mid-development, and someone from Microsoft comes in and tells them they need to throw a feature into their servers, that way they can call it cloud computing and insist that their original idea for the Xbox One was good. Locking away a feature to be always-online.

And yeah, like I said, Crackdown might be utilizing it well to make up for the sub-par hardware in this gen's consoles, but the Crackdown series is well-known for the Halo 3 beta. So.

I don't understand what you're saying here. Crackdown doesn't deserve the praise it gets because it was just a pack-in for the Halo 3 beta?

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...things-that-cant-be-done-on-any-other-console

and quote what he said

Here's my issue. Even if you look at the context, aside from what Crackdown is doing, all of the features he's raving about that supposedly no one else has, their competitors in fact, do have.

Wii U was backwards compatible at launch. PS4, PS3 and Vita have allowed for cross buy and cross play for years, with Wii U allowing cross buy also more recently.

Microsoft are beginning to implement features into XBL that should have been there in November 2013. It's only a unique value proposition if you're ignorant of what Nintendo and Sony are already doing in the space.

Azzawon

I have a PS4, Vita, XB1 and PC. Playstation definitely ain't better in my experience.

For the bolded, k.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
How does Kudo still have a job?

Yeah I'm still not over Def Jam Icon...

But Drivatar is awesome, as long as you're not victim lol.

Velkyn

Yeah, that was awkward to watch!

You mean the one where you have to pay to play the games you already own? How is streaming a game better than playing it natively? Obviously the biggest draw for PSNow is the lineup. It's what, 400 games now?

This to me is the most damning thing about PSNow. Sony should have had some means of authenticating copies owned on disc or digitally.

And their subscription costs are insane, there's no way I'd pay so much to stream a game I'm essentially renting.

Zedox

1. That's not backwards compatibility. That's just playing a streamed game, and repaying to play that game, not playing what you already own.
2. Both do streaming, doesn't matter who did it first.
3. Forza, Titanfall, and Killer Instinct all use cloud computing. Your opinion if they ended up being shit is invalid.

I don't understand what you're saying here. Crackdown doesn't deserve the praise it gets because it was just a pack-in for the Halo 3 beta?
Crackdown... Gets... Praise? From who? Since when? Didn't its sequel end up being a literal copy-paste of the first game?

I can't take you seriously.

1. That's not backwards compatibility. That's just playing a streamed game, and repaying to play that game, not playing what you already own.
2. Both do streaming, doesn't matter who did it first.
3. Forza, Titanfall, and Killer Instinct all use cloud computing. Your opinion if they ended up being shit is invalid.
1. Backwards compatibility is a feature that allows you to play games from the previous platform and possibly beyond on the current gen platform. That's what PlayStation Now does. I really don't think its reasonable to expect them to pull off what Microsoft's doing by emulating the PlayStation 3 operating system. It's well known that it was a difficult console to develop for. Microsoft throwing in a feature costs them that one-time fee. Sony keeping those servers that stream their games up-and-running costs money.
2. Okay? But then he's still wrong, so why mention this?
3. I didn't say they ended up being shit. Those are three really great games that didn't need cloud computing for the features they used cloud computing for. Hell, Titanfall was made worse for it, because that shit wouldn't even boot up without being online.

and quote what he said

"With backwards compatibility, it isn't something that we just think gamers might want," Tsunoda says. "We know. We're looking for and soliciting that feedback. It was the number one most requested feature for Xbox One by far."

Sony has no plans to match Microsoft in this respect, and the possibility of monetising those games through PlayStation Now makes it very unlikely that it ever will. For Microsoft, it's part of a broader view of gaming with Windows 10 at its core, which should, in theory, unite the previously disparate tendrils of Microsoft's sprawling organisation. PC and console, past and present, existing in harmony, each interacting with and complementing the other. Cross-Buy, Cross-Play, console to PC streaming; one might say that Microsoft should have been doing this for years already. According to Tsunoda, this is a first step.
"It's a really unique value that only we can offer. You still need very gamer-focused values, but there's lots of things you can do with our technology. We've really got a lot more going on [than our competitors]. We're doing things that can't be done on any other console.

"Letting people play games wherever they want, on whatever device they choose, and making that easy. Long term, that's really what we're trying to do as a platform."

Posting so that people actually look at what he said not the clickbait title.

iMax

This to me is the most damning thing about PSNow. Sony should have had some means of authenticating copies owned on disc or digitally.

And their subscription costs are insane, there's no way I'd pay so much to stream a game I'm essentially renting.

I find it ridiculous I can't just put a PS3 disc in my PS4 to authenticate.

These statements always seem weird and unnecessary. Does anyone ever hear this any respond with anything but snark? Just seems like a waste of everyone's time, and only hurts the person's imagine that is saying it, as well as the product/company. Comes off as super insecure.

Zedox

Crackdown... Gets... Praise? From who? Since when? Didn't its sequel end up being a literal copy-paste of the first game?

I can't take you seriously.

So in order for you to "knock" Crackdown...you talk about the sequel that people didn't like, that was developed in 6 months? I think the one that can't be taken seriously is you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom