• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Exec: We're Doing Things That "Cant Be Done" on PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm confused. Is he just suggesting that PC->console connection as the unique thing? I guess they do have that, but Sony has been offering crossplay and crossbuy across 2 or 3 platforms (and then several PC-PS4 crossplay games, as mentioned above) for years now, far ahead of anything MS or Nintendo have done.

The only truly unique thing MS is offering right now is whatever weird "Cloud" shit they're doing with Crackdown and presumably other games eventually. That's pretty cool, for sure.

But to suggest crossplay/crossbuy is unique to them or that they have the longest list of exclusives (which is patently false, but I think he's focusing on this year, in which case he might be right) is spin and nothing more.

Kosma

Banned
MS is VERY, VERY strict on cross-play with things that aren't Xbox. MS has only had a handful of games have cross-play functionality.

Ironically enough, one of those games is Final Fantasy XI, which has players from PS2, PC and Xbox 360.

Yeah I remember FFXI was on Xbox so this is odd, especially since he is talking about cross play etc.

Ironically enough, because Xbox (360 at least) didn't allow, by policy, cross-play with other platforms.

They stated that they are still open for Microsoft to change their policy on that.

Yoshi-P is apparently in talks with Phil Spencer and co. to get a special exception on that.

I mean, it worked with FFXI, but MS was desperate for JPN marketshare then.

Isn't the issue with XIV and Xbone - Win10 cross play that they don't want to screw over the Steam users?

At least in FFXIV's case, everyone, regardless of platform, plays on the same servers. There's no 'getting screwed over' to be had by putting FF14 on the Xbone.

teiresias

Oh ok, why doesn't the xbox have FF14? Bit odd.

Because MS explicitly won't allow an Xbox version of the game to be cross platform with PS4.

Someone call me when we go a week with someone from MS and Xbox NOT saying something disingenuous. I swear, you don't see these kinds of gaffes come as frequently from the Windows 10 people at the company.

GHG

I was waiting for someone to post this article.

My snarky response: That is awesome Microsoft but Sony are doing something that can't be done with your console: Sell more worldwide.

Read my mind.

All this talk and all I'm using my console for lately is the play to function from our windows tablet PC.

driver116

Ruh-roh

close20door-gif.25346

Windows 10 cross-buy and 360 BC are both really great features and having both adds a lot of value to XB1.

That being said, Wii U has offered BC since launch and both Wii U and PS4 offer cross-buy. So I'm not sure what Xbox One is doing that other consoles aren't.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
To be fair, he is right. PS4 doesn't do backward compatibility, PC streaming, or cloud compute.

Any dev can do cloud compute on any platform if they want and can cover their cost with whatever monetisation plan they have.

Velkyn

Because MS explicitly won't allow an Xbox version of the game to be cross platform with PS4.

Source? Because XI was shared between PS2 PC and 360, wasn't it?

Like I said above, I'm pretty sure I saw that it was because of the Steam version of XIV that they're leery.

Why wouldn't the interviewer mention that Sony has been doing cross-platform play since the PS2? Most recently it was done with Rocket League and that got a lot of press. I'm sure they would remember that.

Source? Because XI was shared between PS2 PC and 360, wasn't it?

Like I said above, I'm pretty sure I saw that it was because of the Steam version of XIV that they're leery.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/07/09/why-final-fantasy-xiv-isnt-coming-to-xbox-360-or-xbox-one

"The game director of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn has explained the title won't be coming to Microsoft consoles as Xbox Live policies don't support cross-play with other platforms."

XI released at a time when Microsoft were trying to court everything and anything and, as they tend to do, made an exception. Now? Nah, that's their walled garden and it's their rules. Rocket League will suffer the same if it makes it to XB1.

That's debatable. Certainly for this year's lineup it's a no-contest.

When it comes to the mainstream blockbuster games in the racing, action adventure and FPS genre.

In terms of quantity, it's about even, and if your taste leans Japanese, PS4 leads.

iMax

Any dev can do cloud compute on any platform if they want and can cover their cost with whatever monetisation plan they have.

But that was my point. It's not a case of "can't" be done. Obviously it can. But it isn't being done on the scale Microsoft is doing.

Maxrunner

Windows 10 cross-buy and 360 BC are both really great features and having both add a lot of value to XB1.

That being said, Wii U has offered BC since launch and both Wii U and PS4 offer cross-buy. So I'm not sure what Xbox One is doing that other consoles aren't.

Ms just needs to focus on PC and just shut up

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Why wouldn't the interviewer mention that Sony has been doing cross-platform play since the PS3? Most recently it was done with Rocket League and that got a lot of press. I'm sure they would remember that.

Since ps2 actually. FFXI had cross play with ps2, pc, and 360.

Huh...that's really bizzare, when FFXI 360 came out, I'm pretty sure they weren't new servers...

That was back when MS thought they still had a chance in the Japanese market. Also FFXI didn't use xbox live I beleve

Still means the same thing though, right?
Yeah, it definitely does. Dude literally says:

"For a long time we've had PC gamers and console gamers who weren't really able to play together," Tsunoda says. "That's why Cross-Play is still such a powerful idea. You should be able to play what you love, and play together, regardless of what device you're playing on. It's about connecting people.

"With backwards compatibility, it isn't something that we just think gamers might want. We know"
"It's a really unique value that only we can offer. You still need very gamer-focused values, but there's lots of things you can do with our technology. We've really got a lot more going on [than our competitors]. We're doing things that can't be done on any other console.

Literally referring to nothing that exists on Xbox One right now. There is no cross-play. Not sure what year he's in where there is, but it's not here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom