• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Company suing organizers of a pre-PAX Pokémon Themed Party.

BY2K

Membero Americo
http://www.geekwire.com/2015/pokemo...rty-on-eve-of-pax-game-convention-in-seattle/

The Pokémon Company International, Inc. filed suit against two Seattleites on Wednesday, claiming they broke copyright laws when they organized a themed party to mark the kickoff of the PAX Prime gaming convention.

Tickets for the sold-out event cost $2.

The so-called “5th Annual Unofficial Pokemon PAX Kickoff Party” was supposed to go down at 500 East restaurant and bar on Thursday night, just as gaming enthusiasts descend on Seattle to celebrate their passion all weekend long.

According to Pokémon’s complaint, the party has happened every year since 2011. This year’s edition was organized by Ramar Larkin Jones and Zach Shore.

It was going to feature, an “AMAZIN POKEMON MASHUP,” “Pokemon themed shots and drinks,” “Smash Bros. Tournament with cash prize,” “Dancing,” “Giveaways,” “Cosplay Contest and more.”

A poster for the event contained pictures of Pikachu and Snivy, two of Pokémon’s copyrighted characters. Pikachu’s image was also used to promote the event on Facebook.

A 500 East manager said the party has been canceled, stressing the fact that the restaurant did not organize the event. Jones and Shore could not be immediately reached for comment Thursday afternoon.

A Facebook post from August 11 included in the court filings suggest the event had sold more than 30 tickets.

A lawsuit over 60$ seems a tad excessive...

Just in case of any flame wars, remember that Nintendo might have nothing to do with TPC suing these people.

The Pokémon Company is only partially owned by Nintendo. They act on their own accords.

While Nintendo do look like the bad guys here, it really is unfair to use someone else's IP and make money from it (and also the fact that Nintendo aren't there to regulate how you treat the IP)

ZeroX03

Banned
The company, which has a U.S. headquarters in Bellevue, is seeking damages, attorneys’ fees and an order to stop future parties.

That's going to hurt more than any damages. I'm torn on this, they were charging for this event and using Pokemon imagery. But I doubt they're making any profit at $2 a ticket, and it's such a small petty thing to go after.

Lesson here: Nintendo does NOT fuck around with their IPs.

It's not Nintendo, it's TPC.

Exile20

Where did I wrote Nintendo? It's the Pokémon Company, guys.
Come on now. People don't care. They just want to say Nintendo doesn't understand the inter... Wait a second...oh parties.

Anyway every company is protective of their ips and tpc us the same.

Well that's fucking dumb. And they wonder why the fans hate TPC. They're really only concerned with selling games and that's it. No love for the fans or any concern for positive PR.

ZeroX03

Banned
Well that's fucking dumb. And they wonder why the fans hate TPC. They're really only concerned with selling games and that's it. No love for the fans or any concern for positive PR.

1364737068691855137.gif

It's over 60$ worth of ticket. It feels silly to me.

I believe they just tried to protect the IP. I'm pretty sure TPCi don't want to see the news and publications about people getting wasted on Pokemon party and undressing in the middle of the street or something.

They actually were concerned about not getting a negative PR, especially as a kid-friendly company; see above.

Corpekata

Banned
I believe they just tried to protect the IP. I'm pretty sure TPCi don't want to see the news and publications about people getting wasted on Pokemon party and undressing in the middle of the street or something.

They actually were concerned about not getting a negative PR, especially as a kid-friendly company; see above.

Yeah, some 30 random weirdos getting drunk in a Pikachu shirt would surely be worse PR than this.

Nobody would have talked about this random ass party until now.

JoeM86

A rather grandiose statement. Do you have evidence and example to support that statement?

They also don't want to rerelease the old games on VC. They are nuts.

You do realise that's because there's no communication features so games can't be completed and the main part of Pokémon wouldn't be there, right?

Yeah, some 30 random weirdos getting drunk in a Pikachu shirt would surely be worse PR than this.

Yes.

Do you realise that the only people who are annoyed by TPCi sueing party organisers are very few gaming/Pokemon enthusiasts who are already annoyed by TPCi but continue to buy their products, while news about people getting drunk in Pikachu shirt, if being made big, will affect parents and make them think whether their kids should be that dedicated to Pokemon. Combined with the fact that TPCi still markets their products to kids, that possible turnout would be more harmful for the company.

TPCi just chose to harm itself a bit istead risking and getting way bigger hard in case somthing will happen.

You do realise that's because there's no communication features so games can't be completed and the main part of Pokémon wouldn't be there, right?

TBH, Pokemon TCG GBC, being released on 3DS, can't be completed either due to Card Pop feature missing, but it's really not the same situation as in the case of two or more versions of mainline Pokemon games in one gen.

Effect

Hmm. Did they even attempt a C&D in the past? Don't they have to do that first before jumping straight to the lawsuit like this? If they did issue C&D in the past and they were in ignore then these organizers are likely screwed. However TPC would have to prove these people were attempting to make a profit. If the tickets were covering the cost of food and the booking now sure what TPC has to gain here. Couldn't a judge toss this?

Yes.

Do you realise that the only people who are annoyed by TPCi sueing party organisers are very few gaming/Pokemon enthusiasts who are already annoyed by TPCi but continue to buy their products, while news about people getting drunk in Pikachu shirt, if being made big, will affect parents and make them think whether their kids should be that dedicated to Pokemon. Combined with the fact that TPCi still markets their products to kids, that possible turnout would be more harmful for the company.

TPCi just chose to harm itself a bit istead risking and getting way bigger hard in case somthing will happen.

It's true. Have you seen all those Santarchy parties where people dress up like Santa and get drunk? Santa Claus took a huge hit from those parties, Now people just think he's a mistake, nothing but trash. Parents shield their children whenever Santa Claus comes up on TV or in the mall. Little kids send him mail asking for toys and begging him to go to AA. He should've sued the fuck out of those guys.

This is a real dumb lawsuit. Would a cease-and-desist not have been enough?

JoeM86

TBH, Pokemon TCG GBC, being released on 3DS, can't be completed either due to Card Pop feature missing, but it's really not the same situation as in the case of two or more versions of mainline Pokemon games in one gen.

There is a difference between having two cards unobtainable and having a dozen Pokémon unavailable,

This is a real dumb lawsuit. Would a cease-and-desist not have been enough?

And that's another question. Yes, TPCi should just C&D this party, and I think sueing was excessive. I, however, perfectly see the logic behing TPCi taking an action against party organisers.

There is a difference between having two cards unobtainable and having a dozen Pokémon unavailable,

Well, that's why I said it's not the same.

Is this the same reason why Nintendo doesn't like Youtubers making money off their IP?

TPCi is not Nintendo.

Making money (however small) with their IP, using official art to advertise it, no way to distinguish if it's an official event or not.

There's liability and setting a precedent at stake for TPC. Definitely small potatoes and hopefully the cancelation is enough to get them to drop the suit, but that was quite e blind spot on behalf of the organizers.

Corpekata

Banned
What news site should I go to for breaking news about small gamer parties where there might be booze? Who's got the hot leads on that?

And that's another question. Yes, TPCi should just C&D this party, and I think sueing was excessive. I, however, perfectly see the logic behing TPCi taking an action against party organisers.

I actually agree with this, but I think the severity of the response is important. This seems only a step or two removed from suing parents that dared to throw a Pokemon-themed party for their kid. The big difference, really, is these organizers charged for their party, but given the paltry amount of money they got (and remember, they SOLD OUT the party, so it's not like they were likely to make more money) it's hard to imagine a good reason for taking these people to court except to make an example out of them.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Hmm. Did they even attempt a C&D in the past? Don't they have to do that first before jumping straight to the lawsuit like this? If they did issue C&D in the past and they were in ignore then these organizers are likely screwed. However TPC would have to prove these people were attempting to make a profit. If the tickets were covering the cost of food and the booking now sure what TPC has to gain here. Couldn't a judge toss this?

I'm sure they sent out C&Ds before. Every company does, as no one really wants to go to court. Costs too much money and is bad press. Judge isn't going to toss it because it's not about money. You just can't use someone else's IP in this way.

Weebos

Banned
I actually agree with this, but I think the severity of the response is important. This seems only a step or two removed from suing parents that dared to throw a Pokemon-themed party for their kid. The big difference, really, is these organizers charged for their party, but given the paltry amount of money they got (and remember, they SOLD OUT the party, so it's not like they were likely to make more money) it's hard to imagine a good reason for taking these people to court except to make an example out of them.

I'm sure they sent out C&Ds before. Every company does, as no one really wants to go to court. Costs too much money and is bad press. Judge isn't going to toss it because it's not about money. You just can't use someone else's IP in this way.

That is what I am wondering. Perhaps they have sent out Cease and Desists in years prior.

L.O.R.D

"Parody" constitutes fair use, so long as you can prove to a judge that nobody would mistake that garbage as an official product.

what about the many many games on mobile that use pokemon photos to advertise their own games

can't pokemon company call apple to remove those games ?

E-phonk

Banned
It's over 60$ worth of ticket. It feels silly to me.

I might be wrong, as the law (and IP law) works differently in different countries, but I know there exists a rule that says you are responsible to act upon every act against your IP. If you don't, it means you can potentially lose the claim to that part of the IP protection.

In this case, it could potentially lead to TPC not being able to exclusively claim pre-convention pokemon themed parties. It's silly, but they have to act on it. It doesn't make a difference if they make 1 million dollar or 5 dollar.

Muzy72

Banned
I doubt it's because of the $60 lol. This probably has to do with TPCi not wanting Pokémon to be associated with parties and especially alcohol. This is supposed to be a child-friendly brand.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I thought the pokemon company was just being lame in this but their defenders in this thread are the lamest of all.

Like I never understand when companies do things like this. $60 and the protection of your valuable IP from your FANS is worth the bad PR?

Like...what?

Top Bottom