• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember that time Sonny Liston shot at Muhammad Ali?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frog-fu

Banned
I was doing a bit of reading and came across this story I had read a long time ago and the accompanying video had me in stitches.

The video is a reenactment of the events described in Ali's book The Greatest: My own Story and it seems like a pretty accurate - and hilarious - rendition of the event as it transpired by Ali's account.
Liston turned the tables on me. I had been talking that morning to Willie Reddish, one of Liston’s trainers. He told me Liston was down at the Thunderbird, gambling.

“Why don’t you go over and spend a little money, too?” he said.

The promoters had given me money to use on the gambling tables to help stimulate business. I had been looking for Sonny and I had a new poem that I wanted to read to him, “I’ll be there in about an hour,” I told Reddish. “But I’m not coming to spend money. I’m coming to run him outta the saloon.”

When I got to the Thunderbird, Liston was deep in a dice game. I started shouting at him, “Come on, you big ugly bear! Let’s get it on! Come on!” Liston kept rolling the dice, hardly looking up. “I’ll whip you right now!” I said. “Floyd Patterson was a nobody. You’ll knockout Floyd Patterson but I’m the real champ. I’m too fast for you and you know it! Put up all your money, Sonny! If you think you can whip me.”

He was still playing it cool, rolling the dice. All the gambling had stopped. People were leaving the slot machines, the blackjack tables, the keno areas, coming over to see what was going on.

I walked straight up to him. He was still trying to roll the dice.

Suddenly he reached in his pocket and pulled out a long black pistol, pointed it straight at my head, pulled the trigger: BANG! BANG!

I ducked. A chill went through my spine. BANG! BANG! He was still aiming at me. I leaped over the black jack table, then the dice table, scattering chips and cards all over the floor, ducking and dodging all the way out in the streets, and behind me the pistol: BANG! BANG!

When I got back to my hotel room, I threw myself on the bed, panting. My heart was beating fast, my hands were shaking. I was thinking maybe I should leave Liston alone. I knew I was only acting crazy, but he might be crazy for real. I was still shook up and hour later when a reporter came and told me that Willie Reddish was laughing. They said the joke was on me. Liston’s gun was loaded with blanks. Willie had set it up he told Liston I was coming and prepared him with a blank pistol.

I'd say this one of the funnier stories of Ali's campaigns against his opponents.

I've been looking for others stories like this, so I'm asking, GAF, what are some of your favourite call out stories in sports entertainment?

Dr.Acula

Banned
What's it say that this event wasn't even significant enough to warrant a wikipedia entry for Liston.

Oh yeah, he loaded up a gun with blanks and fired at Ali, good times.

The 60s were nuts!

A non-shooting incident pretty much ended Gilbert Arenas' career.

Then-Wizards center JaVale McGee had beaten Crittenton out of $1,100 in a card game. Wizards guard Earl Boykins loaned McGee $200. McGee didn't immediately pay back Boykins as he won the money and an argument blossomed. Arenas says he wasn't involved in the actual bet.

" 'Pay the man his (expletive) money. You've got all my money,' " Arenas says Crittenton shouted at McGee. "So I jumped in, 'Why you talking to your teammates like this? We family.'

"That's when (Crittenton) started coming at me, '(Expletive, racial slur), just because you got all money, this and this and this.' That's when we started going back and forth. I didn't owe him anything. It was over a $1,100 pot he just lost."

Arenas pauses and sighs when asked how the situation escalated to the point of guns.

"Someone said they were going to shoot me. So since I'm one of those guys who says, 'I want to see this happen. I want to see you actually shoot me,' that's where that came from," says Arenas, declining to mention that someone by name. "I brought the four guns in and said (in a note), 'Pick 1, so the day you want to shoot me let me know, I'll be ready to get shot.' That's how."

According to a D.C. Superior Court document from Jan. 15, 2010: Several witnesses agree that during an argument on a Dec. 20, 2009, flight from Phoenix to Washington, Arenas threatened to shoot Crittenton in the face and set his Escalade on fire and that Crittenton threatened to shoot Arenas in the knee.

The document further details that witnesses saw Arenas lay out his firearms in front of Crittenton's locker and that Crittenton brought out his own.

Frog-fu

Banned
What's it say that this event wasn't even significant enough to warrant a wikipedia entry for Liston.

Oh yeah, he loaded up a gun with blanks and fired at Ali, good times.

The 60s were nuts!

Yeah, it's strange this isn't a widely known fact.

Gotta give it to Ali though, he got what he wanted in the end.

A non-shooting incident pretty much ended Gilbert Arenas' career.

Yo I never knew about this. That's crazy, and all for some chump change?

Ali was famous for the things he did to get into his opponents head. Really funny seeing someone going above and beyond to do the same to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom