• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kentucky clerk Kim Davis denies same-sex marriage license again, despite end of stay

Status
Not open for further replies.
bghosW1.jpg

The seated woman looks like she is thinking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMWZQrkdtew

lednerg

Oh I agree. Now it's gonna be milked as the "persecuted martyr". But I'm not really sure how you can lay down conveniences while avoiding that from happening in this instance.

The judge could have issued a fine, but didn't go that route, citing her ability to get funding via donations. So now it's this. Since she's been put into the spotlight, she's gotten a lot of advice from legal and political experts. Her being jailed like this is a big win for them. She gets to say she's the victim now.

Slacker

Judge Bunning pretty much guaranteed that the issue of marriage is going to remain in the conversation for the rest of this campaign. I'm surprised she got jail. The holy rollers are going to go into a persecution tizzy over this.

Bonus: FreeRepublic Reaction Thread

From that thread: "Any patriots in Kentucky? Now’s the time."

In this guy's mind, someone who wants to subvert the Constitution in favor of Christian Sharia Law using violence is a patriot. And he's not alone, which is pretty terrifying.

ivysaur12

Banned
I feel like it's super easy to do a drag Kim Davis?

Also I reaaaaaally wish they started with fines instead of jail time.

ivysaur12

Banned
I think they likely did what they had to do. Fines can be paid by Wingnut Welfare (aka GodFundMe). No one else can rot in jail for her.

It just makes her more of a martyr of the Gay Demon instead of a situation that she brought upon herself.

Obviously, we all know she brought this upon herself, but you know what I mean.

In this guy's mind, someone who wants to subvert the Constitution in favor of Christian Sharia Law using violence is a patriot. And he's not alone, which is pretty terrifying.

I guess the irony of asking for "Patriots" never really occurred to that person. I true patriot would be like, "now's the time for what? For supporting a federal decision? Then I agree!"

This is the price of being nice about religion and falling for that "you have to respect their beliefs" bullshit. I wonder if we'll ever learn.

lednerg

Statement put out by her attorney:

"Kim Davis is being treated as a criminal because she cannot violate her conscience. While she may be behind bars for now, Kim Davis is a free woman. Her conscience remains unshackled. The tragedy is that there are simple ways to accommodate her conviction. Just remove her name from the marriage licenses. That's all she has asked from the beginning. This is not the kind of America the Founders envisioned or that most Americans want."

Her attorney has been trying to make this into a "I just want my name out of it" thing in interviews, and is continuing that strategy here.

FyreWulff

reading on it more, the judge specifically jailed her because "fines would not change her behavior". So he short circuited any excuse to raise funds on her behalf.

XShagrath

I think they likely did what they had to do. Fines can be paid by Wingnut Welfare (aka GodFundMe). No one else can rot in jail for her.
They should have introduced escalating fines, and say that they were going to gay rights organizations. That way even if others were taking care of the fines, they'd be conflicted knowing where their money was going.

Aselith

It just makes her more of a martyr of the Gay Demon instead of a situation that she brought upon herself.

Obviously, we all know she brought this upon herself, but you know what I mean.

Yeah but so what? They can feel like they're being persecuted all they want, a fine wasn't gonna change their minds.

I'm talking about optics. This was a big win for her and for anti gay marriage proponents in that regard. We're not talking about people who are known for logical thinking, they'll just digest this as Obama's atheist government jailing her for her religious beliefs.

That doesn't matter though. The only people who will view her as a martyr are already right wing nuts, this changes nothing.

dabig2

What's with the handwringing by some people over jailing and potentially making her a martyr? She's already one. So screw that shit, punch them in the mouth and make sure everyone knows you're punching them in the mouth for their own prejudice and denying of rights. Rosa Parks this woman is not. Who cares what a couple nutjobs who line up behind her think about it. They won't remember this woman's name in a year.

So think long term. This is for every future generation. This is to show them that we've evolved since our Jim Crow-allowing days. That society deemed it more important that equality is just that - equal and not just sometimes depending on somewhere depending on someone.

What's with the handwringing by some people over jailing and potentially making her a martyr? She's already one. So screw that shit, punch them in the mouth and make sure everyone knows you're punching them in the mouth for their own prejudice and denying of rights. Rosa Parks this woman is not. Who cares what a couple nutjobs who line up behind her think about it. They won't remember this woman's name in a year.

So think long term. This is for every future generation. This is to show them that we've evolved since our Jim Crow-allowing days. That society deemed it more important that equality is just that - equal and not just sometimes depending on somewhere depending on someone.

Exactly. Considering the circumstances, jail was the best outcome. She was a martyr from the moment she turned the couple down. Who cares if she riles up support, they can't do shit to change it, the law is the law.

lednerg

That doesn't matter though. The only people who will view her as a martyr are already right wing nuts, this changes nothing.

It's going to be the subject of political speeches and punditry for a good long while. It's exactly the kind of thing that will enrage people with similar beliefs, drawing them to the polls.

It's going to be the subject of political speeches and punditry for a good long while. It's exactly the kind of thing that will enrage people with similar beliefs, drawing them to the polls.

Again this is something that is already the subject of political speech. and most of the people inflamed by this are already voting, the hard right has extremely high turn out rates. This changes nothing.

Cheebo

Banned
The republican senate in the state says they will pass a law soon as they are in session to allow her to not comply with the law. ugh

Slacker

Meanwhile, at Freerepublic:

To: xzins
Someone called this our Rosa Parks moment. I think it may well turn out to be just that.

Yeah except they're the bus driver.

The republican senate in the state says they will pass a law soon as they are in session to allow her to not comply with the law. ugh
And of course it'll get overturned because that pesky Constitution. Replublicans have mastered the art of wasting everyone's time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom