• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kentucky clerk Kim Davis denies same-sex marriage license again, despite end of stay

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
She was clinging to an Aug. 31 stay (that was already pushed aside when she was told yet again to issue licenses). Her newest request for a stay was refused.

Yet, when a couple went in for a license yesterday, on Sep. 1, she refused again. Her removal is now being urged by many citizens and media for her refusal to comply with the duties of her government seat. She now must appear in a federal court on Thursday for her continued refusal.

youtube clip of the refusal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xg1Dh2xhXg
tumblr_nu0b7kjqIC1r83d7lo6_500.gif

tumblr_nu0b7kjqIC1r83d7lo7_540.gif

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/02/us/same-sex-marriage-kentucky-kim-davis.html?_r=0
MOREHEAD, Ky. — Defying the Supreme Court and saying she was acting “under God’s authority,” a county clerk in Kentucky denied marriage licenses to gay couples on Tuesday, less than a day after the court rejected her request for a delay.

A raucous scene unfolded shortly after 8 a.m. at the Rowan County Courthouse here as two same-sex couples walked into the county clerk’s office, followed by a throng of journalists and chanting protesters on both sides of the issue. One couple, David Ermold and David Moore, tried to engage the county clerk, Kim Davis, in a debate before the cameras, but as she had before, she turned them away, saying repeatedly that she would not issue licenses to any couples, gay or straight.

“Under whose authority?” Mr. Ermold asked.

“Under God’s authority,” Ms. Davis replied.

Ms. Davis says same-sex marriage violates her Christian beliefs. She took office in January, succeeding her mother, who had been the county clerk for 37 years.

Her case stands as the most conspicuous official resistance remaining to the Supreme Court’s landmark ruling in June legalizing same-sex marriage, and it is one of a number of legal challenges centering on the obligations of public officials and private businesses who say same-sex marriage conflicts with their religious faith.

Her traditional™ story:
She gave birth to twins five months after divorcing her first husband. They were fathered by her third husband but adopted by her second. Davis worked at the clerk’s office at the time of each divorce and has since remarried
Couldn't write this shit if you tried. MY SIN DOESN'T COUNT WHILE I PASS JUDGMENT DOWN ON YOU!!!!!!

CorvoSol

How is she still employed. I wish i could invoke God every time i didnt want to do my work.

I cant make your steak rare sir, eating blood is a SIN.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
She looks exactly how I pictured her; facial expression, dismissive hand wave, eyes closed. Ugh what a bitch.

Lady has been married 4 times. Fuck her.

Yup. If someone is a devout Christian to the point of being an insufferable asshole, I can SLIGHTLY respect them if they completely follow their religious beliefs. This woman is pathetic in the fact that she accuses others of violating her beliefs while conviniently ignoring the multiple divorces she has had. You can't pick and choose, lady.

Enron

Banned
I believe that State proceedings against her have already begun, according to the other thread. Since she is an elected official, the county has no authority to remove her. But the state does.

sphagnum

Banned
How is that relevant to the denial (which is bullshit BTW, she is being stupid and bigoted)?

Well if God instituted marriage as being between one man and one woman, she's already voided that multiple times.

"Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate."

Sean*O

I hope she is removed from her seat and jailed, for a good amount of time. Set an example so nobody else tries this nonsense.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Thursday is the court day for the Contempt charges.

Well I guess this is the hill she's gonna die on....

At least until she ends up as right wingers newest media sensation for "standing up for her beliefs and all persecuted Christians alike" and ends up with people throwing money at her

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Why would you elect someone to hand out marriage licenses?

EDIT: I suppose it depends on what her authority is. It differs between counties.

The Kentucky county clerk facing potentially stiff penalties for refusing to issue same-sex marriage licenses has been married four times, raising questions of hypocrisy and selective application of the Bible to her life. The marriages are documented in court records obtained by U.S. News, which show that Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis divorced three times, first in 1994, then 2006 and again in 2008. She gave birth to twins five months after divorcing her first husband. They were fathered by her third husband but adopted by her second. Davis worked at the clerk’s office at the time of each divorce and has since remarried. Davis has described her desire to strictly adhere to the Bible in stark terms and thus far has shown no sign of bending to court orders on same-sex marriage. She said Tuesday she fears going to hell for violating “a central teaching” of the Bible if she complies with the orders.

She gave birth to twins five months after divorcing her first husband. They were fathered by her third husband but adopted by her second. Davis worked at the clerk’s office at the time of each divorce and has since remarried

Couldn't write this shit if you tried. MY SIN DOESN'T COUNT WHILE I PASS JUDGMENT DOWN ON YOU!!!!!!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

This woman.

I can't...

DOWN

Banned

This is real special lmao

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Her logic is that she has since become born again. That in mind, her hypocrisy is pretty logical if you subscribe to that belief system.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Why does the position of county clerk exist? Why not simply have it as a hired position, and have people be notarized if necessary? Given that a clerk's role is to implement, not make, policy, why does the job exist at all?

kirby_fox

Banned
I see her very shortly going to jail for contempt. There's enough public backlash from this right now, I half expect them to be waiting because of needing a judge to say to arrest her and throw her in jail.

I know she has support, but I don't think it's going to be as much as you all expect. The same people who support her because she's "standing up for her rights" are the same people who put value in people doing their jobs. They have to choose one side or the other, and I really expect them to pick the jobs side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom