• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 35, 2015 (Aug 24 - Aug 30)

Many devs have stated this directly, not just about 3DS but PSP, too. It's not a question of low specs, necessarily, it's more out of consideration for the smaller screen/lower resolution.
An ignorant statement is still ignorant no matter how savy is the mouth from where it came. Anyway, there are games that disapprove this notion on the very system. So i honestly think this should be put to rest by any people not driven by an agenda or developers driven by excuses XD

L~A

Mario Kart 8 has now sold in more than 1.1 million units in Japan, over 2 million units in the USA and cumulative sell in has exceeded 5.4 million units worldwide making it the best selling game for Nintendo Wii U with an attach rate of 54%.

That kind of attach rate reminds me of the GC era... pretty crazy, but not unexpected or undeserved.

Anyway, August edition of my leg-o-meter.

COIkj05WIAA1Ute.png:large

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
new releases {2015.09.10}

[3DS] Monster Hunter Diary: Poka Poka Airu Village DX <ETC> (Capcom) (¥4.309)

[PSV] Winning Post 8 [1/1][Koei Tecmo the Best] <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥3.024)

[WIU] Super Mario Maker # <ETC> (Nintendo) (¥6.156)
[WIU] Super Mario Maker (1/2)(Wii U Super Mario Maker set) <ETC> (Nintendo) (¥35.640)
[WIU] Super Mario Maker (2/2)(Wii U Super Mario Maker Super Mario 30th Anniversary Set) <ETC> (Nintendo) (¥36.720)

[PS3] Winning Post 8 [1/1][Koei Tecmo the Best] <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥3.024)

Vena

Sorry for being dense, but I still don't get what you mean? :p

Production delays... manufacturing carts for the Vita versions of these games?

Basically, yes, production resources are being moved away from the Vita, and that is potentially causing gridlock which then hits titles across the board and moving things further and further back in the year.

Basically, yes, production resources are being moved away from the Vita, and that is potentially causing gridlock which then hits titles across the board and moving things further and further back in the year.

Well, that would certainly explain why so much stuff has been delayed.

If this is the case, does that mean we should be expecting stuff that was already scheduled for later this year to be pushed into next year?

Vena

Well, that would certainly explain why so much stuff has been delayed.

If this is the case, does that mean we should be expecting stuff that was already scheduled for later this year to be pushed into next year?

Not necessarily. Gridlock can occur and cause a ramp up in production (and the holidays are coming) but only so far as to meet the current unmet but expected demand. Ramp ups, naturally (see: amiibo), take time and aren't instant hence delays occurring and creating a domino affect.

bluedawgs

Banned
400K+ PS3+PS4 first week or 400K+ PS4 LTD will happen.

400K+ PS4 first week won't.

I'm struggling to find the post, but wasn't the YSO or whatever it is predictions for MGS 5 like 380k for the PS4 version and 150k for the PS3 version?

The PS4 version I'm pretty sure sold out by now because it was at 80% sell through on the first day, it could do 400k. You're probably right that it won't but giving definitive statements like "it won't" puzzles me. Unless of course we know the exact shipments for the PS4 version in Japan and it's impossible for the PS4 version to be over 400k but I don't think that's the case.

Vena

I'm struggling to find the post, but wasn't the YSO or whatever it is predictions for MGS 5 like 380k for the PS4 version and 150k for the PS3 version?

Here:

YSO predictions

Week 36, 2015 (Aug 31 - Sep 6)

[PS4] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain < 350k
[PS3] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain < 150k
[3DS] Dragon Quest VIII < 130k

Average prediction for PS4 is close to 300k, PS3 the same 150k.

-------------------------------------

The PS4 version I'm pretty sure sold out by now because it was at 80% sell through on the first day, it could do 400k. You're probably right that it won't but giving definitive statements like "it won't" puzzles me. Unless of course we know the exact shipments for the PS4 version in Japan and it's impossible for the PS4 version to be over 400k but I don't think that's the case.

It wasn't first day, it was two days.

horuhe

Oh yeah, forgot that. Do you think the boost will be at Obon week level?

I wouldn't expect more than Obon levels. They will be, of course, smaller bumps.

Surely, Splatoon, Mario Maker and Happy Home Designer will make an appearance on those (+x%) figures.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I wouldn't expect more than Obon levels. They will be, of course, smaller bumps.

Surely, Splatoon, Mario Maker and Happy Home Designer will make an appareance on those (+x%) figures.

Yeah, i suspect smaller bump than obon week... Wii U sold 16,567 ( or 19,259 in Famitsu), if Mario Maker boost will continue, it should sell similar numbers. same for PS4 ( 18,503 MC / 17,420 Famitsu )

I wonder if Splatoon is going to sell another >30k this week. o_O

ZhugeEX

Banned
Interesting report from Nikkei here.

I'm not sure If I'm reading it right but it looks like the Japanese arcade market was worth 399 billion yen in 2014 which is down from the peak year in 2007 when revenues of 711 billion yen were generated.

A drop of almost 50%.

Meanwhile, revenue generated from online gaming has reached 854 billion yen.

Perhaps someone who reads Japanese can confirm if I've got this right.

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXMZO91164740R30C15A8000000/
http://hobbyabout.info/?p=15286

Not necessarily. Gridlock can occur and cause a ramp up in production (and the holidays are coming) but only so far as to meet the current unmet but expected demand. Ramp ups, naturally (see: amiibo), take time and aren't instant hence delays occurring and creating a domino affect.

And what's the difference between this year and 2013/2014 when Vita was also receiving a similar number of smaller titles at once around this period?

horuhe

I'm not sure If I'm reading it right but it looks like the Japanese arcade market was worth 399 billion yen in 2014 which is down from the peak year in 2007 when revenues of 711 billion yen were generated.

A drop of almost 50%.

Meanwhile, revenue generated from online gaming has reached 854 billion yen.

Perhaps someone who reads Japanese can confirm if I've got this right.

http://hobbyabout.info/?p=15286

Well, this is written in Chinese, and the Nikkei source is locked to unlogged readers.

However, if what you said it's right, is a bad new overall, imo. It seems a sort of analogy regarding dedicated consoles and smartphones.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

2007 being pick year for Japanese arcade market comparing to 80s and 90s is hard to believe.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Well, this is written in Chinese, and the Nikkei source is locked to unlogged readers.

However, if what you said it's right, is a bad new overall, imo. It seems a sort of analogy regarding dedicated consoles and smartphones.

Oh that's why I couldn't get to the source haha.

I was on the nikkei site trying to find the source but couldn't find anything to back up what the hobbyabout site says.

2007 being pick year for Japanese arcade market comparing to 80s and 90s is hard to believe.

Yeh that's what the Chinese article says but as horuhe mentioned above the Japanese source can't be viewed so I have no idea if it's legitimate. I assume it is though.

Growing removal of resources by Sony from the legacy system.

Wasn't the whole of that quote that it was a legacy platform outside of Asia?

I can understand the argument you're making but I'm not sure I'd agree with it as the reason why. It would have to be some major production problems because we're talking about some low key, low-prodution-run games that are being delayed.

In addition, isn't it hurting relations with third parties if Sony are effectively forcing them to delay games because they can't meet demand? The third parties that they've been trying their best to court on to PS4 in the first place.

Vena

Wasn't the whole of that quote that it was a legacy platform outside of Asia?

I can understand the argument you're making but I'm not sure I'd agree with it as the reason why. It would have to be some major production problems because we're talking about some low key, low-prodution-run games that are being delayed.

In addition, isn't it hurting relations with third parties if Sony are effectively forcing them to delay games because they can't meet demand? The third parties that they've been trying their best to court on to PS4 in the first place.

PR jargon is jargon.

That said, a delay does not need to be caused by big titles, just a conflict of resources available and needed which can then cause a back-up down the line. Enough small titles at a time with added deemphasis on a brand, and you have a recepe for delay.

In as of so far Sony hasn't exactly been winning any great battles of favor that they didnt already have established as known quantities to their consoles. Even DQXI had to hedge its bets not only once but twice, seemingly. And what favors are they going to win in a market that doesn't much care for consoles and the Vita is on its last legs with barely even a mention to its existance from Sony?

Post below is partially in response to James Scott's post in the NX thread but I think it's more relevant here.

I was just digging around at Wikipedia looking at what Sony themselves put out on PSP in its lifespan and they were still putting out a few games at retail in its twilight years when the Vita was about out and beyond.

This year, Sony's put out ZERO Vita games at retail (aside from Idea Factory's Moe Chronicle in Asia if that even counts).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_..._Sony_Computer_Entertainment#PlayStation_Vita

To me that adds evidence that Sony may indeed be preparing for a future without a handheld (PSP 2010 is much higher in relation to when 3DS and Vita followed in 2011 than Vita 2015 so far if the NX handheld or whatever does indeed come out next year for instance), also the bizarre allowance of PoPoLoCrois being on 3DS when they own the trademark (yep, specifically SCE owns the name at least for games) is another piece.

And seeing how even in its peak country in Japan isn't exactly riding the near heights of the PSP when MH was coming out for it (isn't GE2 still the highest and hasn't even passed 400k according to Famitsu at JapanLTDranking?). All signs point to them bowing out. I honestly can't see why they'd bother spending the R&D and everything towards a third handheld when all of their eyes are clearly on PS4, hell I think someone brought it up and I do wonder also if Sony sees a handheld as self competition?

Are people honestly expecting a 3rd handheld? I only see it happening if they have some sort of obligation or something, like if they HAVE to for some reason.

PR jargon is jargon.

That said, a delay does not need to be caused by big titles, just a conflict of resources available and needed which can then cause a back-up down the line. Enough small titles at a time with added deemphasis on a brand, and you have a recepe for delay.

In as of so far Sony hasn't exactly been winning any great battles of favor that they didnt already have established as known quantities to their consoles. Even DQXI had to hedge its bets not only once but twice, seemingly. And what favors are they going to win in a market that doesn't much care for consoles and the Vita is on its last legs with barely even a mention to its existance from Sony?

Wouldn't that make the line you quoted to me PR jargon too? :p

Re. favors, as you said yourself it's a market that doesn't much care for consoles. I don't see why they'd risk driving away what publishers & devs are left supporting dedicated devices at this point over something as simple as producing enough cartridges for their games.

Obviously, they'll have to wind down at some point. But this is a Sony who let 7 "major" (in so much as bigger than the majority of games Vita gets) games release exclusively on PSP in 2013 (SAO; Summon Night; UnPS; Fate/Extra; Digimon; 7th Dragon; Shining Ark) despite the fact that Vita had been on the market for more than a year by that point. I don't recall any of those games seeing major delays either (i.e. indicative of them winding down support for a console) outside of Fate/Extra CCC which seemed to have a troubled development in general.

They clearly don't have a problem supporting consoles well after successors have shipped (or in this case, when they're re-focusing resources). Maybe Vita is the change in the tide because it's done so much worse than any Sony console before, but still, I find what you're saying to be a big stretch to explain some delays.

In any case, I'd imagine we'll be getting a clearer picture about what is going on in 10 days time.

Vena

I still don't understand why Nintendo are bothering with another dedicated handheld device.

You don't understand why Nintendo is making another thing of the thing that is keeping the Japabese market afloat? Isn't the 50% software share in the twilight years reason enough?

That said, they're no longer *just* making a handheld, they are making a system with a handheld SKU and others as the target market demands with heavy mobile integrations. Which is, in my opinion, far smarter than form factor consolidation.

Xbro

I still don't understand why Nintendo are bothering with another dedicated handheld device.

Would this help?

HARDWARE
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
| 3DS # |     48.919 |     28.279 |     37.515 |  1.253.145 |  1.434.770 |  19.091.590 |
|  PS4  |     18.539 |     14.495 |      6.502 |    741.904 |    678.185 |   1.712.571 |
| PSV # |     12.692 |     12.159 |     20.734 |    628.102 |    857.695 |   4.152.029 |
|  WIU  |     11.781 |     11.302 |      8.584 |    387.815 |    382.050 |   2.531.395 |
|  PS3  |      2.571 |      2.549 |      7.895 |    176.587 |    354.612 |  10.345.578 |
|  XB1  |        168 |        160 |            |     11.366 |            |      54.633 |
|  ALL  |     94.670 |     68.944 |     81.503 |  3.198.919 |  3.811.929 |  37.887.796 |
| PSVTV |        567 |        554 |      1.156 |     22.202 |     59.482 |     172.415 |
|  PSV  |     12.125 |     11.605 |     19.578 |    605.900 |    798.213 |   3.979.614 |
|n-3DSLL|     38.498 |     19.960 |            |    809.508 |            |   1.676.566 |
| n-3DS |      7.089 |      5.967 |            |    271.011 |            |     640.317 |
| 3DSLL |      1.116 |        795 |     30.111 |     83.941 |  1.080.451 |   6.916.564 |
|  3DS  |      2.216 |      1.557 |      7.404 |     88.685 |    354.319 |   9.858.143 |

ZhugeEX

Banned
Well I was being half serious with that comment.

Of course I understand why Nintendo have to release another handheld and why it's a good idea for them to do so.

I just don't expect it to be a success in the grand scheme of things. But Nintendo can make it a success for them ofc.

Xbro

Of course I understand why Nintendo have to release another handheld and why it's a good idea for them to do so.

I just don't expect it to be a success in the grand scheme of things. But Nintendo can make it a success for them ofc.

So long as it is profitable it should be fine.

Ryng_tolu

Banned

Just a type:

What if the next Nintendo handheld is half portable console and half smartphone?
The same like 3DS / DS, with all Nintendo IPs, but with some Smartphone / tablet app, and with a super low price?

... with the right marketing, this can be HUGE... even bigger than the DS... i doubt will happen, is just a possible scenario imo.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
With August complete and digital sales for this month missing Splatoon is already above 700k. 17 more weeks until the end of the year and 1m YTD remains possible.

Code:
{   from    -    to     }   RETAIL/ DIGITAL/ TOTAL

{2015.05.25 - 2015.06.21} 348.557 / 19.981 / 368.538
{2015.06.22 - 2015.07.26} 138.782 / 47.164 / 185.946
{2015.07.27 - 2015.08.30} 153.041 /    -   / 153.041

{2015.05.25 - 2015.08.30} 640.380 / 67.145 / 707.525

Just a type:

What if the next Nintendo handheld is half portable console and half smartphone?
The same like 3DS / DS, with all Nintendo IPs, but with some Smartphone / tablet app, and with a super low price?

... with the right marketing, this can be HUGE... even bigger than the DS... i doubt will happen, is just a possible scenario imo.

I cannot see Nintendo entering the smartphone market BUT I'm pretty sure the next hardware will be able to play smartphone games.

Darius

Banned
Are people honestly expecting a 3rd handheld? I only see it happening if they have some sort of obligation or something, like if they HAVE to for some reason.

Sales are catastrophic in the low 10k range, Minecraft pretty much hindered even worse due to its popularity and longevity in the charts. I think they´ll look closely at what Nintendo will be doing with their "family of system" and the speculated common plattform with different SKUs, so I won´t exclude anything, despite a very grim outlook right now.

He questioned the viability of a PSV successor. So what´s the point? Especially in a Japanese sales thread. At the very least there is no doubt about an eventual 3DS successor by Nintendo.

The thing is, why does Sony even need to put out another handheld? When the 3DS successor hits, it'll likely just be comparable hardware. No one's seriously expecting Nintendo to put out something that blows Vita away spec wise are they?

If anything, a Nintendo handheld on par with Vita will probably just encourage 3rd parties to do a bunch of multiplats that'll give Vita an extended lease of life. Talking specifically about Japan at least.

Considering Sony is expending no effort with Vita, i doubt they have much problem with it selling what it's selling, hanging around for the entirety of Nintendo's "next generation".

small44

The thing is, why does Sony even need to put out another handheld? When the 3DS successor hits, it'll likely just be comparable hardware. No one's seriously expecting Nintendo to put out something that blows Vita away spec wise are they?

If anything, a Nintendo handheld on par with Vita will probably just encourage 3rd parties to do a bunch of multiplats that'll give Vita an extended lease of life. Talking specifically about Japan at least.

Considering Sony is expending no effort with Vita, i doubt they have much problem with it selling what it's selling, hanging around for the entirety of Nintendo's "next generation".

Vita is mostly supported by small studios that will not use the full Vita power

Oregano

If the NX is to Vita as 3DS is to PSP then it won't be worth making multiplatforms games after the first year. It's not just about raw power but the fact that it will be a more modern and efficient system. You'd be holding games back for a smaller install base.

EDIT: As for Sony having Vita hang around for a whole 'nother gen it's not really up to them if retailers stop stocking it. It would be a difficult proposition in Japan and in impossible one everywhere else.

Top Bottom