• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virginia officer indicted for first degree murder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzom21

http://wtkr.com/2015/09/03/portsmou...-murder-in-shooting-death-of-william-chapman/
Portsmouth, Va. - Portsmouth Police Officer Stephen Rankin has been indicted for first degree murder and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony for the shooting death of 18-year-old William Chapman.
Chapman was shot and killed by Rankin during an altercation on April 22nd in a Walmart parking lot.

On Thursday afternoon, the Commonwealth's attorney held a press conference but did not release many details about the case. They asked everyone to respect the judicial process.

William Chapman's mother, Candy Chapman, answered questions about the incident.

She says she was happy to hear the officer had been charged, but her family is still dealing with the loss of their loved one.

“Even though he’s been indicted and he may do some time, we’re still going to be hurting,” says Chapman.

A witness told NewsChannel 3 the officer and Chapman had a fight. He said first the officer pulled out his Taser, but Chapman hit it out of his hand, then pulled out his gun and said something. Then the witness says Chapman lunged at him and the officer shot and killed Chapman.

Not the first time he has killed an unarmed person.
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...nkin-military-trained-officer-william-chapman
Before Officer Stephen Rankin fatally shot 18-year-old William Chapman, when an autopsy found the first unarmed man he killed was shot 11 times, residents of this city in southern Virginia voiced their dismay on the website of a local newspaper.

“Talk to the men and women in our armed forces who face people with weapons every day,” wrote one. “You don’t use deadly force against unarmed citizens – ever.”

One commenter, however, stood out for his combative endorsement of Rankin’s actions during the April 2011 encounter with Kirill Denyakin, a 26-year-old Kazakhstani cook.

“What’s the difference if it was one round or 11 rounds or 111 rounds?” he wrote, using the screen name ‘yourealythinkthat’. “When I was in Iraq, that would have been a good shoot,” he said later. “In fact, nobody would have really given it a second thought.”

Speaking under oath six months and 246 supportive comments later, Rankin, a US navy veteran, admitted that ‘yourealythinkthat’ was him

genjiZERO

Holy shit. My parents live here. Fucking nuts. I've been to that Walmart a hundred times. It's dodgy. That being said, I hope he's fund guilty if it's murder.

kirblar

“When I was in Iraq, that would have been a good shoot,” he said later. “In fact, nobody would have really given it a second thought.”
Racist as fuck confirmed.

Hopefully they can actually get him put away.

One commenter, however, stood out for his combative endorsement of Rankin’s actions during the April 2011 encounter with Kirill Denyakin, a 26-year-old Kazakhstani cook.

“What’s the difference if it was one round or 11 rounds or 111 rounds?” he wrote, using the screen name ‘yourealythinkthat’. “When I was in Iraq, that would have been a good shoot,” he said later. “In fact, nobody would have really given it a second thought.”

Speaking under oath six months and 246 supportive comments later, Rankin, a US navy veteran, admitted that ‘yourealythinkthat’ was him.

smh. Trash.

Sagroth

I have to admit I'm not sure exactly which police shooting this is in reference to, and that is frickin sad.

Dishwalla

Banned
Yeah, this is all over the news here. I never knew that someone got shot at that Walmart until a week or two ago, I live in Norfolk but when i was on the ship in the shipyards I used to go to that Walmart on a semi regular basis.

Disgusting comments aside, if this:

A witness told NewsChannel 3 the officer and Chapman had a fight. He said first the officer pulled out his Taser, but Chapman hit it out of his hand, then pulled out his gun and said something. Then the witness says Chapman lunged at him and the officer shot and killed Chapman.

is true, doesn't that sort of preclude First Degree? It really feels like they're setting this guy up to walk free.

chalex010

Banned

is true, doesn't that sort of preclude First Degree? It really feels like they're setting this guy up to walk free.

It feels like the backlash from not charging police in the past is just shifting to filing charges to set up trials the prosecution can't possibly win.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep

Speaking under oath six months and 246 supportive comments later, Rankin, a US navy veteran, admitted that ‘yourealythinkthat’ was him.
I don't know what's more surprising, the fact that he was indicted or this twist right here.

That's also pretty weird. So the shooting was provoked?

why is this even going this far?

just keep him on paid vacation until he can find another job in another PD or as a consultant or private security then he can jump ship and resign.

Walpurgis

Banned
According to eye witness, I'm not sure how this is any but justified homicide.

Yeah, I'm conflicted. I don't agree with shooting an unarmed man but this guy was only 18 so it's even worse. We don't know why the officer approached him in the first place, since it isn't mentioned in the OP, I'm assuming it wasn't for a very good reason. However, if the guy actually lunged a cop pointing a gun at him....I don't know what to say. Ideally, that shouldn't result in him getting shot since the officer's life isn't put at risk by that, imo, but what did he expect? There is also the fact that the officer has killed before and his comments on the article to consider. The officer is clearly a criminal but I'm not sure that this is a very strong case to put him away.

Newlove

I mean, from the description it seems like a rather lethal method of self defence. You don't fight an officer, knock his taser out his hand and lung at him. At the same time I don't know the full situation to know what the right call was, and going for lethal may not have been the best call against someone unarmed. Depends, would the kid have knocked the officer to a pulp and reached for his gun?

besada

Banned
Apparently the eyewitness testimony and autopsy don't match. According to the autopsy, Chapman was shot far enough away not to be a threat. In short, if he'd been close enough to be a danger, there'd be gunpowder residue on the body, and there wasn't.
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...topsy-stephen-rankin-police-shooting-virginia

So now we have a police officer with a previous unarmed shooting that was questionable, caught misinforming his superiors regarding the danger he was in, and shooting another unarmed person.

Apparently the eyewitness testimony and autopsy don't match. According to the autopsy, Chapman was shot far enough away not to be a threat. In short, if he'd been close enough to be a danger, there'd be gunpowder residue on the body, and there wasn't.
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...topsy-stephen-rankin-police-shooting-virginia

So now we have a police officer with a previous unarmed shooting that was questionable, caught misinforming his superiors regarding the danger he was in, and shooting another unarmed person.

The witness must have been yourealythinkthat2

Rankin, 36, is a veteran of the US navy who earned a grey belt in the the Marine Corps martial arts programme, which requires the ability to “stop an aggressor’s attack” with hand-to-hand combat.

A war vet skilled in martial arts according to the Guardian article. Yet still he's killed two people including shooting one 11 times and couldn't apprehend a "shoplifter" w/o shooting him.

Don't they have psych test to become law enforcement?

HariKari

I mean, from the description

I realize that absent a video, various descriptions of the event are all we have to go on, but we've seen a cop shoot a man in the back and then plant his taser on him on video. It's not like this indictment is far-fetched.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Wow... Just... wow.

This guy is garbage.

So much for this user's comment, huh...
“Talk to the men and women in our armed forces who face people with weapons every day,” wrote one. “You don’t use deadly force against unarmed citizens – ever.”

lednerg

From an old article:
A grand jury declined to indict Rankin on criminal charges and a jury in a $22m civil lawsuit brought by Denyakin’s family found in Rankin’s favour. Among 250 posts defending himself on a local newspaper website, Rankin wrote “22 mil wont buy your boy back”, adding that most Americans could not hope to earn that in an entire career, “let alone a habitual drunk working as a hotel cook”.

It also emerged Rankin had in Facebook posts referred to his firearms case as “Rankin’s box of vengeance” and said he would rather be dirtying his guns than cleaning them. His Facebook avatar was once a print of a photograph depicting a Serb left hanging from a lamppost by invading Nazi forces in 1943.​
Nice guy.

First degree? Does the prosecution have some sort of ace up their sleeve?

Or trying to throw the case?

First degree? How bad was this shoot? From the description it doesn't sound like first degree.

jN8mRzL.jpg

This asshole was looking for a fight. They're going for the jugular because this kid is the second dead citizen.

And that's the problem with using retired military as cops. Many of them are still in "war" in their minds except now the people are "the enemy".

adama-military-police.jpg

I wish Adama were running this ship....

Africanus

From an old article:
A grand jury declined to indict Rankin on criminal charges and a jury in a $22m civil lawsuit brought by Denyakin’s family found in Rankin’s favour. Among 250 posts defending himself on a local newspaper website, Rankin wrote “22 mil wont buy your boy back”, adding that most Americans could not hope to earn that in an entire career, “let alone a habitual drunk working as a hotel cook”.

It also emerged Rankin had in Facebook posts referred to his firearms case as “Rankin’s box of vengeance” and said he would rather be dirtying his guns than cleaning them. His Facebook avatar was once a print of a photograph depicting a Serb left hanging from a lamppost by invading Nazi forces in 1943.​
Nice guy.

The excavation of comments shall only become more prevalent as more people are raised with internet.

And I relish it.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
You're from P-town? My condolences

But seriously, the Bier Garden and Commodore Theatre are the best two things in Tidewater
Tidewater is booty.
From an old article:

Nice guy.

How the fuck is this guy a cop.

Red Mage

jN8mRzL.jpg

This asshole was looking for a fight. They're going for the jugular because this kid is the second dead citizen.

Yes, but First Degree usually suggests premeditated, doesn't it? I don't see how felony murder could apply here.

If it goes before a jury, I can't see how they plan to convince them it was first degree. Looks like Treyvon Martin all over again.

besada

Banned
Yes, but First Degree usually suggests premeditated, doesn't it? I don't see how felony murder could apply here.

If there's further evidence that he was looking to shoot someone, that's premeditation. I'd guess the grand jury had access to such evidence that we don't.

If the events described are true, I dont see the prosecution winning.

I was kinda of thing that as well, at least from what was quoted. They got into a fight, he tried to taze the kid, the kid knocked the tazer away, so he got out the gun. That sounds like self defense to me. If it did go down like that, I could see maybe manslaughter or something, but not 1st degree murder.

That was a very confusing article to read. Who was the witness being quoted about the details of the fight? It doesn't make it sound like the usual cases of excessive force at all, especially if the cop pulled out his taser first.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
That was a very confusing article to read. Who was the witness being quoted about the details of the fight? It doesn't make it sound like the usual cases of excessive force at all, especially if the cop pulled out his taser first.

Pulling the taser out first would reduce the likelihood of premeditation.
But, on the other hand, it's unlikely we have the whole picture either.

First degree? Psh prosecutor is trying to throw the case, this scumbag won't ever see the inside of a cell.

Another one gets away with murder.

Ayt

Banned
I don't know why people are assuming the newspaper is providing all the evidence the prosecution has on hand. Stating that the prosecution is throwing the case when you don't even know what their case will be at court is absurd.

Formless

A war vet skilled in martial arts according to the Guardian article. Yet still he's killed two people including shooting one 11 times and couldn't apprehend a "shoplifter" w/o shooting him.

Don't they have psych test to become law enforcement?

Law enforcement standards are very lax unfortunately.

Also the Marine grey belt is given out after 52(?) hrs of training. That's honestly not a lot for a martial art involving bayonet/knife practice as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom