• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015-16 TV Cancellations: The Beast, having been fed, asks waiter for his bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sober

Welcome to the 2015-16 TV season cancellation thread! I'm sorry to inform you, but [your favourite show here] will be cancelled, and no amount of begging for [streaming service here] to renew it will work. But you're welcome to try!

First: Why should you care? To quote Stump, from many moons ago:
Stumpokapow said:
Why care about cancellations?
- You don't want to follow a show that's going to get canned after a cliffhanger and then bitch endlessly how unfair it is that you never get to find out what would have happened.
- The faster shows are cancelled in the fall, the sooner you'll get to see midseason returning favourites and other new shows held for the midseason.
- Networks have a finite amount of time and space. The more shows get cancelled, the more pilots get commissioned, the more shows that are ordered to show, the more new shows you get to watch in the future.
- Ask yourself whether or not there are more shows cancelled before their time (OMG VERONICA MARS JOURNEYMAN JOHN FROM CINCINNATI TERRIERS FERRIS BUELLER THE TV SHOW CANCELLED BEFORE THEIR TIME!) or more shows that run years too long, spiral around the drain, decline in quality, and need to be put out of their mercy?

XnSQsWt.jpg

A moment of silence, please.

ABC:
The Astronaut Wives Club
Cristela
Forever
Manhattan Love Story
Resurrection
Revenge
Selfie
The Taste

CBS:
Battle Creek
The McCarthys
The Mentalist
The Millers
Stalker
Two and a Half Men
Under the Dome

The CW:
Hart of Dixie
The Messengers

Fox:
Backstrom
The Following
Glee
Knock Knock Live
The Mindy Project (off to Hulu!)
Mulaney
Red Band Society
Utopia
Weird Loners

NBC:
A to Z
A.D.: The Bible Continues
About a Boy
Allegiance
American Odyssey
Bad Judge
Constantine
Hannibal
Marry Me
One Big Happy
Parenthood
Parks and Recreation
State of Affairs
Welcome to Sweden

Other:
Nic Pizzolatto's reputation (everywhere but HBO)
Benched (USA)
Boardwalk Empire (HBO)
Cougar Town (TBS)
Falling Skies (TNT)
Ground Floor (TBS)
Helix (SyFy)
Hello Ladies (HBO)
Justified (FX)
Kroll Show (Comedy Central)
Nurse Jackie (Showtime)
Sirens (USA)
Sons of Anarchy (FX)
The Colbert Report (Comedy Central)
The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (CBS)
The Newsroom (HBO)
The Returned (A&E)
Web Therapy (Showtime)
White Collar (USA)

r31hnH3.jpg

CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (come for the old cast returning, stay for the memories!)

American Idol (Kelly Clarkson still GOAT)

Coach (NBC gonna NBC)

Banshee (final season)

Continuum (final season, couldn't go back in time to prevent itself from ending)

Da Vinci's Demons

The League

Haven (it was on SyFy)

XyiosE9.jpg

CBS:
The Big Bang Theory - season 10
Big Brother - season 18

Fox:
The Simpsons - season 28 (of infinity)

HtOHSmo.jpg

So you're telling me there's a chance?

Heroes
The X-Files
Twin Peaks

Remember when [your favourite show here] was still on the air and you thought it would never get cancelled?

2014-15 Thread
2013-14 Thread
2012-13 Thread
2011-12 Thread
2010-11 Thread

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Bring back "Go On," NBC.

Thanks for the new thread, Sober. I tweaked the title slightly since it wasn't fitting into the title line. Old thread is locked, as well.

Manu

Ctrl+F "Haven"

Come on guys. I know nobody here actually watched it but at least add it in there lol

There are first reviews up for most fall shows on Metacritic. Right now it is literally one review for each show. It's way too early to tell, but so far looks like The Grinder and Life In Pieces are really good, there are like 3-5 ok to good shows and everything else varies from meh to awful.
Looks like as ever, after reviews turn me off from some shows, and others i will only watch the pilot and then stop, i will be watching around 3 new shows.

Patryn

Jesus, I hadn't realized NBC was such a graveyard last season.

They better get something out of this season, right? Feels like this is the season that the Voice collapses in on itself.

Why are Sons of Anarchy and Justified listed under cancelled? They were concluded.

For the purposes of this thread (and TV biz), there's no difference between the network ending a show and the show ending on its own terms. They're all cancelled.

maxcriden

Terrific OT, Sober. Kudos!!

Also, funny to see no casualties I care about amongst the canceled show list--except Parenthood, which came to a natural end rather than being canceled in the traditional sense. Very surprised to see that. Might be the first year it's happened since I started following TV more closely at least nine years ago.

ETA: wait, why is Coach on the canceled or ending list? I didn't think it aired....

ETA #2: Veronica Mars is another returnee. Wait. No it isn't. WTH, time flies....

Sober

Craig T. Nelson got paid even though Couch's revival never got off the ground. Now we have a new low which was previously occupied by Hieroglyph, unless I'm missing something.

Patryn

Wait, they brought back Coach and it's already canceled?

They ordered a pilot and then - get this - the execs found the show DATED.

You'd never guess, right?

Anyways, that revival is dead, but Craig T. Nelson is still getting paid for 13 episodes! Might fine work there, NBC.

Nobility

Banned
Great OT Sober, got to love that new thread smell.

I am also happy you placed this disclaimer here:

I'm sorry to inform you, but [your favourite show here] will be cancelled, and no amount of begging for [streaming service here] to renew it will work. But you're welcome to try!

I need to mentally prepare for the worst. :(

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I always love the different tittles of this thread and would like a mod to make a list in the OP as the year goes on so we won't forget some of them.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Great thread! Can't wait for the new TV season to begin. :)

(Also, Hemlock Grove and Getting On are both ending this season, as are Downton Abbey and Peep Show, so you may want to update the OP)

TripOpt55

Great thread. I knew you'd include a Selfie picture somewhere. I wish that would have stuck around. Really grew into a fun show by the end.

Selfie ;_; I loved that show and I still miss it. (If you haven't seen it, it's highly recommended. Adorable rom-com that was way better that it seemed at the beginning)

Hannibal it's coming back in a few years. Mark my words. /denial

Anyway, subscribed!

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
lol

Thanks for doing this, Sober! And I'll maybe pop in every once in a while, but I'm really trying not to engage with TV GAF as much anymore.
But then how will we know which show you're working on and then avoid it?

Velcro Fly

wait did NBC already cancel Coach?

edit: lol wow they backed out. Must be looking bleak if NBC don't want it. Sad because the original show was pretty cool when I was a kid

Sober

lol

Thanks for doing this, Sober! And I'll maybe pop in every once in a while, but I'm really trying not to engage with TV GAF as much anymore.
So if all of a sudden you Gary Whitta all your old posts we can safely assume you are writing a spinoff movie for the Drop Dead Diva Cinematic Universe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom