• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015-16 TV Cancellations: The Beast, having been fed, asks waiter for his bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Heh, after the UK version just ended too. I wonder if Carradine recovered from that car accident that happened earlier this year.

I will say, I sort of changed my opinion of the show after Dan Harmon talked to Curtis about the show on his podcast.

lol

Thanks for doing this, Sober! And I'll maybe pop in every once in a while, but I'm really trying not to engage with TV GAF as much anymore.
Aww, hopefully it's not another nightmare show like Helix!

maeh2k

I still hate Canada (yes, the entire nation), for cancelling Continuum tbh. I want three more seasons minimum.

I only watched the first two seasons. Somehow I lost interest in it at the beginning of seasons 3. Doubt I'll get back into it. Too much stuff to watch.

Pachimari

I only need to watch one more episode of Fresh off the Boat, and then I'll be ready for Season 2!
Also, trying to finish Human, and will probably get around Gotham before Season 2 starts soon.

beat

Oh fuck, you're working on American Gods?!?!?!

:OO

TELL BYRAN FULLER HI FOR ME
Man, I spent like 2 minutes webstalking Ivy instead of just reading through to the next page. =P

I'm really enjoying the people missing Selfie while ignoring A to Z. :lol
A to Z was great at everything except being funny. That's not a 100% slam; I genuinely think the romantic stuff was good. But the workspace stuff was terrible, the sidekicks were bad, and even the comedy aspects of the leads' relationship was disappointing.

Just for completeness, could someone add Community to the cancelled shows list?

maxcriden

I'll be watching but I'm already preemptively annoyed with Scream Queens because the last thing I need is another show to DVR on Tuesday nights. The Flash, iZombie, Agents of Shield, Manhattan, Bastard Executioner, Frontline and Scream Queens? That's like a Sunday amount of shows. I can already feel my eyes glazing over.

Nobody is making you watch a Kurt Sutter show brah

ivysaur12

Banned
I was talking to a friend of mine who's writing on a new fall show, and he asked "how do you think we'll do?". And then I gave my answer (which is probably higher than it will do) and he said "you really think anything's going to premiere that much above a 2?".

Which made me think. I really don't think so. We've reached the point where, barring an Empire surprise, that is broadcast. Clawing for the least common denominator won't save the (slow) march towards the end of broadcast television and the burst of the scripted bubble.

I liked it. It wasn't as good as Selfie, but the actors were charming and I hope they will get something better down the road.
It also had more episodes, they kinda did end it in a way, while Selfie was suddenly murdered

The leads were ok, but it had the worst sidekicks in recent history (particularly the guy). It's one thing to be unfunny, but quite another to be actively repellent.

I quite liked Selfie and was sad to see it cancelled.

beat

The leads were ok, but it had the worst sidekicks in recent history (particularly the guy). It's one thing to be unfunny, but quite another to be actively repellent.
Also, huge difference if the show knows a character is supposed to suck. The A to Z sidekick could be Bevers from Broad City if A to Z knew he was awful instead of thinking him basically charming.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yeah, I actually started enjoying Selfie quite a bit near the end of its run. David Hardwood as their boss was a highlight. I actually found most of the secondary characters pretty funny.

I'm always down for more John Cho, but for me honestly the highlight of that show was Gillan's Eliza. Such a well-realized character, probably one of the more interesting of the year...

...of course most people wouldn't see it as they written her off (along with the whole show) after the pilot. Which I admit was rather awful, but still!

maxcriden

Eh, I give everything that FX airs a shot.

16fd479fad81231572ad8651272d98ce.jpg

;)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I was talking to a friend of mine who's writing on a new fall show, and he asked "how do you think we'll do?". And then I gave my answer (which is probably higher than it will do) and he said "you really think anything's going to premiere that much above a 2?".

Which made me think. I really don't think so. We've reached the point where, barring an Empire surprise, that is broadcast. Clawing for the least common denominator won't save the (slow) march towards the end of broadcast television and the burst of the scripted bubble.
There are just too many choices now, even if you don't count the super nerds who watch foreign TV. (I watch a lot of British panel shows for whatever reason)

Hopefully networks realize this and figure out new ways to make money from broadcasting shows. Otherwise, no show is going to last more than a season, let alone get full orders.

Oddduck

There are just too many choices now, even if you don't count the super nerds who watch foreign TV. (I watch a lot of British panel shows for whatever reason)

Hopefully networks realize this and figure out new ways to make money from broadcasting shows. Otherwise, no show is going to last more than a season, let alone get full orders.

I agree with this.

I've seen journalists and reviewers struggle to keep up with all of the TV shows nowadays. There are just way too many options for TV now that Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon are creating their own shows.

Patryn

Ivy, you're free to not answer this question but are you and your fellow writers really concerned about a scripted show bubble bursting?

chris121580

How is Sex, Drugs, & Rock and Roll doing on FX? It's kind of a guilty pleasure of mine but I'm pretty sure it won't be making it to a season 2

How is Sex, Drugs, & Rock and Roll doing on FX? It's kind of a guilty pleasure of mine but I'm pretty sure it won't be making it to a season 2

Not great.

You're the worst did get renewed,, but critics seemed pretty warm on it, whereas they didn't have nice things to say about Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll.

John Landgraf does like to keep around the odd critically praised show, i.e. The Americans.

Not sure if Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll fits that billing.

I think your friend is underestimating the transcendental effect of Supergirl and Melissa Benoist. I think their message of hope and femininity will resonate with the fractured pop culture audience.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So, do we know something about Halt and Catch Fire? Continues? Please, yes.

We should know soon.

I just looked and it seems that, while it's not a breakout hit, it's also not doing bad either. Now that Archer has moved to FXX, S&D&R&R is FX's highest rated half hour. It's also quite a bit higher rated than the now cancelled The Comedians was and it's also, by virtue of being on FX, doing better than any of the half hours on FXX.

I would be surprised if they didn't renew it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Any word on Wayward Pines? Shyamalan said he had great ideas for season 2 if they did one and the first season was pretty good.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Wait, what? You wanted more of what, the dating app company office sitcom?
I think I've been unclear, I didn't like the show at all and even if everything else in the show was much better I probably still wouldn't have liked it because of her.

maxcriden

Took my wife to a nice Italian restaurant here in ATL for a date tonight. Saw Ian Somerhalder walking by with his wife on our way in. Did a double take as my wife looked at me very bewildered (because we are probably the biggest VD fans on GAF--but a season behind, so no spoilers please!). I turned to him as he was walking by and was like, "Hi, sorry--aren't you...?" He smiled back and said "Sometimes," then "have a good night, guys!" and kept walking. He was very cool and pleasant about the whole thing. I've met some celebs before with varying degrees of pleasantness, and I thought he handled my mild starstruckness pretty well, and I was glad I didn't come off as rude or obnoxious (I think!).

Oh man, you saw Ian Somerhalder in person? Awesome. I probably would have like fainted or something even though I'm straight
but I make no case for it. /GregProops

He plays one of my favorite characters on television.

Slayven

Took my wife to a nice Italian restaurant here in ATL for a date tonight. Saw Ian Somerhalder walking by with his wife on our way in. Did a double take as my wife looked at me very bewildered (because we are probably the biggest VD fans on GAF--but a season behind, so no spoilers please!). I turned to him as he was walking by and was like, "Hi, sorry--aren't you...?" He smiled back and said "Sometimes," then "have a good night, guys!" and kept walking. He was very cool and pleasant about the whole thing. I've met some celebs before with varying degrees of pleasantness, and I thought he handled my mild starstruckness pretty well, and I was glad I didn't come off as rude or obnoxious (I think!).

With a line like that he should have shot a grapple hook up and swung off into the night

maxcriden

Oh man, you saw Ian Somerhalder in person? Awesome. I probably would have like fainted or something even though I'm straight
but I make no case for it. /GregProops

He plays one of my favorite characters on television.

He's so good on the VD. He was super chill even in that brief interaction so I like to think of it as briefly meeting Damon Salvatore.

And that is about the nerdiest you'll ever hear me be. Even compared to my reaction when Nintendo announced a Mario & Luigi game at E3 this year. Or when I saw Kevin Gillespie (of Top Chef: Las Vegas fame) at his new restaurant when we got to eat there a few weeks ago. (Best season of that show by far. Voltaggios, Kevin and Jennifer Carroll >> all other Top Chef chef'testants).

Pity the Hollywood Reporter is not a quality publication *shrugs*

Ah, that's too bad, then. I don't really know anything about them. Mostly follow GAF, occasionall AV Club and Hitfix. They're just too tabloid-y, then? I know we used to get their publication several years ago when I interned at a talent agency in Valley Village/Studio City.

With a line like that he should have shot a grapple hook up and swung off into the night

It really seemed like he was about to. He played it so cool I thought it was about to snow.

G0523

I'm really enjoying the people missing Selfie while ignoring A to Z. :lol

A to Z got so shitty towards the end though! Stu and Stefy in particular were just awful characters.

If that's the case then how do networks decide what to cancel and what to renew? How will they be able to make money as well? Are we just moving towards an all-streaming culture? I agree with you I just wonder what the outcome will be. I like that networks are paying more and more attention to online, streaming, and DVR numbers than Live numbers but Live numbers come first and foremost.

The only show I see hitting at least a 3.0 is ABC's The Muppets. And that'll probably just be for the first episode. I also wonder how many shows will hit less than a 1.0. That will definitely be interesting to see.

Pachimari

This is so cool!
I love Ian Sommerhalder and The Vampire Diaries! I would have fainted if I met Damon Salvatore himself.

TripOpt55

That is pretty cool. That response of his sounds as smooth as I'd expect him to be.

xrnzaaas

Sorry for a slight offtopic but it looks like tvrage.com got cancelled. :( I really liked this page, especially browsing for new shows and their cast.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You and I are going to revolutionize this industry brah. I'm working on a treatment about a man who poses as a woman on an online dating app and slowly becomes the leader of the modern feminist movement.

I'm pretty sure this is just a 2015 version of Work It, ivy's favourite show of all time.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Is The Strain coming back for s3? I'm finally watching s1, it's dumb as shit but then some fucking vampire swat guys showed up and i want to see more >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom