• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 A Hero Falls TV Commercial

RoKKeR

Echoing what others have said, this was a pretty lame trailer. The two Hunt the Truth ones from earlier in the year were way better.

That being said, still hyped.

That ending was bad. Somehow i don't picture 117 surviving the flood, covenant and prometheans only to be crushed by a building, even if it was fake (ONI propaganda). A death like Kurt's, George's and many other heroic Spartan deaths are more fitting...but 117 isn't just a Spartan, he is THE Spartan.

Bsigg12

But someone on the twitter already said there is only 1

We're still 30 days out from launch. I'm betting we see more. There was a lot of production in this ad for it to be the only one.

If not, I would be thoroughly disappointed.

Glass

The cuts were so fast and the shakey cam so shakey, we saw Chief for all of half a second before he was 'killed'. It was an advert of people looking sad.

Thoraxes

But Spartans never die. They always announce/list them as MIA.

Either a huge blunder or some serious shit is going down.

super6646

Banned
We all must pray this isn't true, cause really, spartan locke seems like a terrible character. Maybe like Halo 4, when he was MIA?

Hawk269

It was not bad. It was more like "hey, Halo is still around, some stuff about Master Chief". Just a setup for additional commercials to come.

Thoraxes

ah ha nice try

I fucked up the first post where I wrote it wrong, lol. I amended the post like 10 seconds later! The edited post of what I said is the correct version. In the novels they're not listed as killed for reasons pertaining to morale, mostly. They list them as missing, but never as dead.

Though Halo 3 changed some of this i s'pose.

Jb

I never could take those super-serious live action Halo commercials seriously. The whole thing feels way too cheesy for a game about a cartoon character shooting brightly colored aliens in space.

Vena

But Spartans never die. They always announce/list them as MIA.

Either a huge blunder or some serious shit is going down.

In this case, lore wise, it seems like they want to martyr/remove him rather than MIA him as per the propaganda of the past that Spartans "Never Die". Chief going MIA means Chief can come back, showing Chief get killed means Chief is not coming back.

I think the whole concept of Spartans "Never Die" was propaganda for positive reinforcement during the Covenant War. That war is over, and now Spartans are largely mooks after the Spartan-III and IV program compared to the Spartan-II program.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I never could take those super-serious live action Halo commercials seriously. The whole thing feels way too cheesy for a game about a cartoon character shooting brightly colored aliens in space.

Same here

I prefer the Reach and ODST ones

super6646

Banned
In this case, lore wise, it seems like they want to martyr/remove him rather than MIA him as per the propaganda of the past that Spartans "Never Die". Chief going MIA means Chief can come back, showing Chief get killed means Chief is not coming back.

I think the whole concept of Spartans "Never Die" was propaganda for positive reinforcement during the Covenant War. That war is over, and now Spartans are largely mooks after the Spartan-III and IV program compared to the Spartan-II program.

But MC is a Spartan-II. Either way, it was mentioned at the beginning of Halo 4 by dr. Husly that MC was MIA, not KIA. So maybe its the same here? Or perhaps MC went rogue from the USNC, and this is just propoganda from them.

How many times are they going to retread the "I remember the master chief" sentimental crap. As if they would ever have the balls to really kill him off in the first place.

Vena

But MC is a Spartan-II. Either way, it was mentioned at the beginning of Halo 4 by dr. Husly that MC was MIA, not KIA. So maybe its the same here? Or perhaps MC went rogue from the USNC, and this is just propoganda from them.

I know he is, but the whole myth of "Never Die" was for the now-over Covenant War, and what I meant was that the phrase with regards to Spartans has lost its meaning. The new Spartan corps is entirely replaceable and disposable, and they aren't the beacon of hope that the original Spartans were since there's not "humanity ending war" on your doorstep anymore.

BokehKing

Banned
That ending was bad. Somehow i don't picture 117 surviving the flood, covenant and prometheans only to be crushed by a building, even if it was fake (ONI propaganda). A death like Kurt's, George's and many other heroic Spartan deaths are more fitting...but 117 isn't just a Spartan, he is THE Spartan.
Well Spartans don't die they just go MIA (stuck under buildings with their bodies crushed)

super6646

Banned
I know he is, but the whole myth of "Never Die" was for the now-over Covenant War, and what I meant was that the phrase with regards to Spartans has lost its meaning. The new Spartan corps is entirely replaceable and disposable, and they aren't the beacon of hope that the original Spartans were since there's not "humanity ending war" on your doorstep anymore.

How was the masterchief disposable? He single handedly won the war for humanity by successfully defending Earth, killing the Prophets, and making sure the elite's joined humanity. He did all of this, had just one of these things not happened, humanity would have LOST! Either way, killing off a war hero would be terrible to the entire UNSC, chances are this isn't a real video. But if 343 had the balls to kill him off, well then...

How was the masterchief disposable? He single handedly won the war for humanity by successfully defending Earth, killing the Prophets, and making sure the elite's joined humanity. He did all of this, had just one of these things not happened, humanity would have LOST!

Chief didn't play any part in the Elite-Human alliance at the end of the war.

He was a second away from blowing the Arbiter's head off in the intro to Halo 3

Vena

How was the masterchief disposable? He single handedly won the war for humanity by successfully defending Earth, killing the Prophets, and making sure the elite's joined humanity. He did all of this, had just one of these things not happened, humanity would have LOST! Either way, killing off a war hero would be terrible to the entire UNSC, chances are this isn't a real video. But if 343 had the balls to kill him off, well then...

He himself isn't, I'm not sure where you read that from what I wrote. I was speaking of the new Spartans and that the myth of "Never Die" has lost its meaning with the loss of the original program of Spartan-IIs. (Also Chief has nothing do with the Elites aside from befriending some of them, the actual alliance there and the, now, brooding war behind the scenes is the doing of the UNSC and a common enemy in the Flood and Prophets.)

In this case, as per this commercial, its propaganda to remove Chief from the public mindset by martyring him. He's dead and that gives them recourse to claim any other Chief to be an impostor to the dead hero who now, seemingly, opposes or stands against the goals of the UNSC.

shoreu

I don't think a Spartan II will ever be disposable.

super6646

Banned
Chief didn't play any part in the Elite-Human alliance at the end of the war.

He was a second away from blowing the Arbiter's head off in the intro to Halo 3

Do you think he would have learn't the truth if it weren't for the masterchief, I doubt it. In case you need a backstory, the only reason he became the arbiter was because he failed to destroy the pillar of autumn (which held the "demon). After this, we all know the series of events which lead to the elite betrayal, and the eventual civil war. So in an indirect way, MC did lead to the alliance.

Top Bottom