• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 A Hero Falls TV Commercial

Kev Kev

I don't see how "aimed at the broader audience" would make it less disappointing or a better commercial. Halo had some amazing trailers in the past, especially tantalising for the broader audience.

True, but for those unaware of what's going on in the Halo story, all they hear is Chief is dead, thus they become interested in Halo 5. If it was a video just released on the internet, as opposed to being aired on TV, I'd have never brought it up. And really, it's just a thought, but if I never kept up with Halo's story (except for what I played in the main campaigns) hearing that Chief dies in Halo 5 would certainly get my attention. IDK, it was just a thought (and a way to try and justify a boring trailer, admittedly, lol).

Kalentan

I think the very ending is bad... BUT I get what they were going for.

No doubt Chief is involved in what happened and they don't want the public to know. It goes back to the Locke live-action where they said that they need to remember what he WAS rather than what he has done.

Magwik

Banned
If you listen to the first season of the hunt the truth podcast than this ad makes sense.
"If you just read the books and find all the terminals then you know who the didact is"
The ad could have been handled much better, but regardless "killing" off the Master Chief is a good way to drum up interest with the mainstream

AYF 001

Well, she's allied with zealot Elites on the other side of the conflict so Chief is effectively defecting from the UNSC if that is his goal. No need for 80's teen movie cliches for that, lol.

That said, I'd rather Cortana remain dead. It'd be nice for the stakes to be, you know, worth something as named relevant characters actually die from time to time.

*Final level of Halo 5*

*Master Chief is about to reach the control panel to stop the giant traffic cone from making everyone get Killed by the Guardians. The walkway collapses and as he holds on, a hand reaches out..."

Sgt. Johnson: "Never make a girl a promise, if you know you can't keep it"

*Johnson pulls chief up, but then they fall under attack*

Didact: You will be composed. *Falls to the ground*

*A gauss 'hog comes to a stop on the bridge next to them*

Jacob and Miranda Keyes, in unison: "Chief, Johnson! You need to stop the Prophet of 343 Truthy Spark!"

*343 Guilty Spark, with his orb replacing Truth's head, descends from his hover throne and fires his eye laser at Chief and the throne beam at the 'hog*

Prophet of 343 Truthy Spark: "Reclaimer, nothing can stop those who walk The Path! I am a genius."

*Suddenly, a Spartan in blue armor dual-wielding Mantises jumps down and shoots Po3TS, composing them into Space Jail. The Spartan looks at Chief takes off their helmet*

Cortana: "Lucky for us both, I like crazy."

Mix

*Final level of Halo 5*

*Master Chief is about to reach the control panel to stop the giant traffic cone from making everyone get Killed by the Guardians. The walkway collapses and as he holds on, a hand reaches out..."

Sgt. Johnson: "Never make a girl a promise, if you know you can't keep it"

*Johnson pulls chief up, but then they fall under attack*

Didact: You will be composed. *Falls to the ground*

*A gauss 'hog comes to a stop on the bridge next to them*

Jacob and Miranda Keyes, in unison: "Chief, Johnson! You need to stop the Prophet of 343 Truthy Spark!"

*343 Guilty Spark, with his orb replacing Truth's head, descends from his hover throne and fires his eye laser at Chief and the throne beam at the 'hog*

Prophet of 343 Truthy Spark: "Reclaimer, nothing can stop those who walk The Path! I am a genius."

*Suddenly, a Spartan in blue armor dual-wielding Mantises jumps down and shoots Po3TS, composing them into Space Jail. The Spartan looks at Chief takes off their helmet*

Cortana: "Lucky for us both, I like crazy."

This is why we can't have a Halo OT

I get the feeling it's a fake death...

run66a-jesse_ventura_captivated.jpg

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I thought it was okay, but then I saw the other trailers people linked in the thread for Halo 3, Reach and ODST. They've had some crazy good commercials in the past and this doesn't really reach that bar.

Random17

As I said in the other thread, it was pretty meh in comparison to the other aspects of H5G's marketing, but I wonder how the average dudebro will react to that trailer.

Edit: On second thought there's more attention to detail. 2560 is the wrong date, other details don't add up etc. Continuing their run from the Locke/Master Chief trailers that were really good, although I think that those trailers would have been better suited for football.

Monocle

That didn't do much for me. I liked this shot though:
Hint: There's a cool thing in the bottom-right part of the image.

Right now I really couldn't care less about the supposed death of the Master Chief, or the whole Guardians thing (they look like big dumb Michael Bay-esque robots). That stuff doesn't excite or intrigue me at all. I'm all about the lone warrior exploring vast and ancient alien constructs. (The Flood were good too, albeit more for plot than gameplay.) Chief isn't alone anymore, but hopefully the campaign will bring back the sense of adventure and discovery from the first Halo trilogy.

DrBo42

As I said in the other thread, it was pretty meh in comparison to the other aspects of H5G's marketing, but I wonder how the average dudebro will react to that trailer.

Edit: On second thought there's more attention to detail. 2560 is the wrong date, other details don't add up etc. Continuing their run from the Locke/Master Chief trailers that were really good, although I think that those trailers would have been better suited for football.

How is 2560 the wrong date? Halo 4 was 2557.

Random17

How is 2560 the wrong date? Halo 4 was 2557.

The events of Spartan Ops/Escalation take place in 2558/2559. I'm pretty sure Meridian is in the same year? I was pointing out the fact that a lot of the trailers have intentional discrepancies when seen from ONI's perspective, such as Locke's live action trailer a few months back.

Griss

Terrible. I never understand their marketing, trying to 'ground' this ludicrous story about a superhuman space marine fighting zany aliens with all this gruff and sad hyper-real docu-drama footage. They always do this, and it's always cringeworthy.

Halo 3 diorama ad was how it's done.

EDIT: More recently, that Spartan team going downhill - I thought that wasn't brilliantly done, but it was definitely suitable marketing material for the franchise. At least it makes me want to play the game.

Really didn't like the ad but I can kind of see what they are going for. MC supposedly dying probably would drum up interest from the casual fans that haven't been paying much attention yet.

RedRum

Banned
People thought that was meh? Enjoyed that short. It gave a different feeling other than all the action going on in other trailers.

Seems more and more clear that it is ONI propaganda

I would not be surprised if we still end Halo 5 with Chief still AWOL. But it is better to tell the public that he is dead than AWOL. Locke isn't able to find him (or joins him?). I am sure both teams will lose members along the story.

ONI wants to use this to end any rebellion, to unite the people against the Reclamation, which I am sure will carry on to Halo 6.

yup pretty corny.

Also this game seems weird in a pandering sort of way.

They realized nobody liked their attempts at moving the franchise forward so it seems like we're going to another halo ring and the halo theme is back.

also the pistol is powerful again.

But i'm very hyped for this game's multiplayer, i recently had something that changed my opinion drastically. I think it's going to be one of my favorite multiplayer games this year.

DrBo42

yup pretty corny.

They realized nobody liked their attempts at moving the franchise forward so it seems like we're going to another halo ring and the halo theme is back.

But i'm very hyped for this game's multiplayer, i recently had something that changed my opinion drastically. I think it's going to be one of my favorite multiplayer games this year.

If they confused a poor attempt at moving the franchise forward for fans wanting to return to ring installations, we have a major problem on our hands.

yup pretty corny.

Wut, there was a Halo ring in Halo 4, you go to a station that's next to it. Here they show a station next to a Halo ring, so how is this any different?

label me lttp.

what were the reactions like when it was first revealed?

Most people just said they never knew why it was M in the first place and a T rating made sense.

Monocle

yup pretty corny.

Please pander away, 343. A powerful pistol is hugely satisfying to use. Much more so than a rifle. And Halo rings are just plain cool. There should be at least a couple levels on a Halo in every Halo game. I'm serious.

Oh, and Marty's music is Halo. Let's not act like it's regressive to bring back a core aspect of the series' identity. If you don't like any of this stuff then I hate to break it to you, but you probably don't like Halo.

DrBo42

Please pander away, 343. A powerful pistol is hugely satisfying to use. Much more so than a rifle. And Halo rings are just plain cool. There should be at least a couple levels on a Halo in every Halo game. I'm serious.

Oh, and Marty's music is Halo. Let's not act like it's regressive to bring back a core aspect of the series' identity. If you don't like any of this stuff then I hate to break it to you, but you probably don't like Halo.

A bit extreme. I agree with Marty's score being vital in the Halo DNA but having to be on a Halo structure in every game? Ugh. That was the big reason I disliked the H2 campaign. All this hype and build up to defend Earth and we're on it for an hour. So disappointing. Other than a big story beat like defending Earth from a Covenant invasion, Halo can be Halo wherever there's an alien world to discover.

Random17

Trailer goes reasonably well if synced exactly with 117 until the very last part. (Also try Arrival?)

I remember posting the Last Spartan + Scanned way back on bnet, but this trailer is much harder to get a music track to fit with it.

Random17

A bit extreme. I agree with Marty's score being vital in the Halo DNA but having to be on a Halo structure in every game? Ugh. That was the big reason I disliked the H2 campaign. All this hype and build up to defend Earth and we're on it for an hour. So disappointing. Other than a big story beat like defending Earth from a Covenant invasion, Halo can be Halo wherever there's an alien world to discover.

Halo was at its best on the alien worlds, anyway. The Halo theme goes with Blue team in this game and Osiris has its own, newer theme. It works well. Also if you dislike Halo 2 I should point out the fact that this game shares many similarities with it.

DrBo42

Halo was at its best on the alien worlds, anyway. The Halo theme goes with Blue team in this game and Osiris has its own, newer theme. It works well. Also if you dislike Halo 2 I should point out the fact that this game shares many similarities with it.

Covenant civil war going on makes me very nervous. So tired of their lame internal politics. Other than that at least there's no green tentacle monster around.

Random17

Covenant civil war going on makes me very nervous. So tired of their lame internal politics. Other than that at least there's no green tentacle monster around.

Opinions, I presume. The alien aspect of Halo, specifically the Covenant and the Forerunners has always been 100x more interesting than the UNSC, imo.

krang

Yep...had I not already seen all the other great stuff about Halo 5, this wouldn't have made me buy shit.

I tend to dislike these Halo TV ads anyway, mostly because they're non-canon and never as exciting as the cut scenes.

DrBo42

Opinions, I presume. The alien aspect of Halo, specifically the Covenant and the Forerunners has always been 100x more interesting than the UNSC, imo.
They were at the start, when there was still mystery. Now that they're all speaking English and having petty fights all the air has left the balloon. Forerunner had the biggest potential in the series but with what 343 did with H4, I have no faith in that being interesting.

ODST and Reach are still the height of the series for me in terms of story. If only they really did justice to this huge colony being wiped out and Noble team dying one by one. Came off more as a theme park ride, just couldn't get the delivery right.

It's soo much deeper than that though!

:/

Geist-

That was a teaser right? It seemed pretty obvious it was a shortened version of a longer video.

If not than I agree it was pretty terrible.

Top Bottom