• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

End of an era? Nolan North has wrapped up UC4 MoCap work

Neil Druckmann just tweeted an image celebrating (most likely bittersweetly) Nolan North's wrapping of MoCap work on Uncharted 4: A Thief's End.

dggv7CP.png

Wow can't believe they are still doing mocap for this game. I don't know anything about the development process but I assumed that would have been done awhile ago if the game is set for release in March.

Haunted

The Uncharted 4 mocap era? To be continued in the Uncharted 5 mocap era next year or so?

OP doesn't know what end of an era means.

sense

There will definitely be another uncharted with a new character. Not sure if naughty dog will do it though

End of an era?? Why??

This is, by all accounts, the final appearance of Nathan Drake. Do I buy it? Not exactly. Unless they go to excessive means to make sure of it (by ending really, really grim).

The Uncharted 4 mocap era? To be continued in the Uncharted 5 mocap era next year or so?

OP doesn't know what end of an era means.

I was referring to Drake himself. Of course they could continue the series without him, though it wouldn't be the same.

sense

End of an era?? Why??
They have said many times this is the end for Nathan drake so that kinda means no more Nolan north for uncharted as the main character so I guess we can say end of an era if we count the vita game then that is 5 games for him!

Rembrandt

Banned
That just means Nate will stop being a thief, U5 will show Nate as a dutiful husband who spelunks on the side. But seriously does OP knows what era means??

Isn't this heavily rumored to be the last Uncharted game or at least the last one with Drake? That's the end of an era. What's the confusion?

Good, let the franchise sleep. Bring forth something sci-fi (Savage Starlight?) or western.

Or a buddy cop game. That is a genre that could deftly blend the witty, snappy dialogue of Uncharted, with the soul crushingly dark moments of The Last of Us and not feel like the two tones don't mesh.

LeonSPBR

I truly doubt it that this will be Nathan Drake last Uncharted. IMO they are just creating hype. Frankly I think either Sully or Nate brother that will die.

FatboyTim

That just means Nate will stop being a thief, U5 will show Nate as a dutiful husband who spelunks on the side. But seriously does OP knows what era means??
Or even more simply, it suggests that a thief will [come to an] end.

Nate has a brother and a mentor who would both fit that title.

Edit: Same thought as you.

LeonSPBR

Or even more simply, it suggests that a thief will [come to an] end.

Nate has a brother and a mentor who would both fit that title.

Thinking the same thing. ND created a good protagonist, and a good franchise, so I truly doubt it they will kill their protagonist. Find way more easy to either Sully and easier to Nate brother to die, or even Chloe.

I truly doubt it that this will be Nathan Drake last Uncharted. IMO they are just creating hype. Frankly I think either Sully or Nate brother that will die.

Well, they've
tricked us in 1 and 3 (twice in 3, actually)

(Spoiler tagging that in case people are still planning to play the games for the first time)

foxtrot3d

Banned

Why? It's a new console generation, I honestly don't want another UC after UC4. It's time for Naughty Dog to move on just like they did with Crash and Jak and Daxter. I want some Savage Starlight.

nib95

Banned
Playing through the Collection, it's reminding me of just how incredible Nolan's work has been in this franchise. In my opinion his role is pivotal to the character's, and even game's success.

I could see it as MGS4, end of the Drake Era, but no the end of Uncharted. Get Ready for Uncharted 5: The Phantom Pain, I hear it's gonna open world.
Seriously rather than just killing Nate, why not have him lose a limp or something, force that parkour SOB back home to his wife XD

ViciousDS

Banned
mason jars? what they drinking there XD

Damn.....can't believe we are only months away from saying goodbye to Nathan Drake

mindsale

Eh, Sully's death
is faked in both 1 and 3
, to do it now is such an anticlimax.

Naughty Dog will actually do experimental, artistic things. A beloved protagonist is not safe from their pen strokes. It would afford them more freedom for their next project moving away from an established IP (though I suppose they've got TLOU2 concurrently, but it'd let them put another pot on the fire).

But also it seems too obvious to call it "A Thief's End" and continue to harp on Nathan's death or retirement, and then *actually* have his death or retirement occur.

Velcro Fly

Really doubt they'd remaster 1-3, make 4, and then stop the series completely there unless 4 really bombs. Don't think it's an end of an era at all.

LeonSPBR

Why? It's a new console generation, I honestly don't want another UC after UC4. It's time for Naughty Dog to move on just like they did with Crash and Jak and Daxter. I want some Savage Starlight.

Uncharted is easily their most known IP and it sells. So I truly doubt it they will kill it so that they move on. Sony will easily let them do whatever franchise that they want, TLOU was quite risky considering Sony was creating a new console and was spending a lot on that year, but they still trusted ND enough for them to create a new IP. That shows to me that Sony doesn't care if they aren't doing more Uncharted, but I doubt it they will let ND kill the franchise.

Really doubt they'd remaster 1-3, make 4, and then stop the series completely there unless 4 really bombs. Don't think it's an end of an era at all.

I think OP refers to Nathan Drake. ND said this will be the last game Nathan Drake in but not the last Uncharted game. Then again i don't buy it because the final decision is from Sony.

First off, I presented "end of an era" as a question for a reason. By all accounts, this is the last adventure of Nathan Drake. It seems to be the end of the Nathan Drake era, if we are to believe everything with been teased with. It is also quite likely the last Uncharted game (for at least a while) and is also quite likely the last Uncharted game made by Naughty Dog before another studio takes a crack at it for Sony. As history shows, Naughty Dog typically doesn't make more than four games per IP. Could that change? Of course it could. But Naughty Dog probably has other new ideas they would like to pursue.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I don't believe studios when they claim a game is the last one anymore.

Remember when Halo 3 was the end? Or Metal Gear Solid 4? (Or 3... Or 2....)

Remember Final Fantasy? (Okay I'm kidding about that one)

Top Bottom