• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

End of an era? Nolan North has wrapped up UC4 MoCap work

4IkcxpC.jpg
Lol I forgot about those photoshops...

I don't believe studios when they claim a game is the last one anymore.

Remember when Halo 3 was the end? Or Metal Gear Solid 4? (Or 3... Or 2....)

Remember Final Fantasy? (Okay I'm kidding about that one)

Well, I supposed you could say they didn't technically lie about MGS4 as it was the conclusion to the Metal Gear Solid saga (unless you continue Rising the continuation of it, which according to the Metal Gear canon, it is).

They have been pretty clear that this is just Drake's last game. Not the last uncharted game. And I can totally see them sticking to that.

I am super curious to see that the future is for Uncharted.

Could easily see Sony pull a Microsoft / 343 and create a new studio with the goal of taking over the franchise with a few ND staffers coming over and taking charge.
Its too popular for them just to spin off to a C tier team. I could also easily see it stay at ND but with fresh leads directing it and Druckmann and Bruce off making new depressing stuff.

If it wasnt such a consistent great seller last gen I could see them dropping it but its Sonys number 2 IP sales wise. Technically number 1 probably last gen since Gran Turismo shat the bed with 6.

Rymuth

I'm sure he'll have a starring role in their next IP, no worries. But yeah, thanks for the journey, Mr North.

I'm sure Naughty Dog wants to try something else, but how many "last rides" did the Fast and Furious crew have? It's just marketing, like Halo 3's "End the Fight"

i always saw halo 3 as where bungie wanted to end the series at. they made 3 ODST more of an expansion rather than a full on title and Reach was just a prequel.

jett

D-Member
If they're really letting go of the Drake character, I wonder what's next for Uncharted. The Adventures of Drake Junior.. IN SPACE.

I'm sure Naughty Dog wants to try something else, but how many "last rides" did the Fast and Furious crew have? It's just marketing, like Halo 3's "End the Fight"

It was "finish the fight" with the Prophet of Truth and stop the Great Journey. Not "finish the fight" and end one of the biggest franchises in video game history.

zsynqx

https://youtu.be/qmZ9RGKn74M?t=207 @3:27

"The thing we haven't been shy about saying is this is the final chapter in Nathan Drakes story.........You finish it, you reach that ending it definitely brings closure, it will be hard to make a sequel to this game."

Edit: Anyway, from everything I have seen and heard I have no doubt this will be the best Uncharted game. Whether it tops TLOU remains to be seen.

zsynqx

Wow can't believe they are still doing mocap for this game. I don't know anything about the development process but I assumed that would have been done awhile ago if the game is set for release in March.

Last of us wrapped in December and launched in June. So this seems about right!

Rion1

Neo Member
Dumb aside, but if they ever made a movie about Naughty Dog they should cast Jason Mantzoukas for the role of Neil Druckmann. I keep mixing them up

foxtrot3d

Banned
Uncharted is easily their most known IP and it sells. So I truly doubt it they will kill it so that they move on. Sony will easily let them do whatever franchise that they want, TLOU was quite risky considering Sony was creating a new console and was spending a lot on that year, but they still trusted ND enough for them to create a new IP. That shows to me that Sony doesn't care if they aren't doing more Uncharted, but I doubt it they will let ND kill the franchise.

I'm pretty sure Crash was a much bigger deal than Uncharted.

zsynqx

Sales wise, not even close. In terms of cultural relevance at the time, maybe.

Edit: I would argue TLOU is the bigger property. It sold just as well if not better than the best selling Uncharted and is a huge hit critically while also being loved by fans, especially in the youtube space ( debatable what that means in this day and age ).

KiraXD

This is, by all accounts, the final appearance of Nathan Drake. Do I buy it? Not exactly. Unless they go to excessive means to make sure of it (by ending really, really grim).

Id be fine with an ending that killed Nate and left it hanging for us to play as his brother... Troy Baker in future games.

Sales wise, not even close. In terms of cultural relevance at the time, maybe.

Edit: I would argue TLOU is the bigger property. It sold just as well if not better than the best selling Uncharted and is a huge hit critically while also being loved by fans, especially in the youtube space ( debatable what that means in this day and age ).

Actually, there is this thing called a Q Score, which is some sort of service that tracks how big something is for the general public in terms of popularity. In his "History of Naughty Dog" Colin Moriarty (when he was still with IGN) mentioned that a Naughty Dog staff member told him for a stretch in the late 90's Crash's Q Score was actually higher than Mario's.

I kinda think that the single player DLC will be them handing the series off to whoever is going to be the next lead character in the series. It'd be a great way to introduce them.

End of an era is nonsense. If this outsells the previous games, there is no way it is done.

I'm also not sure how or where they have said this is Drake's last game (not that it ever means anything when game devs say this). The subtitle doesn't really specify that it is him.

A post above yours mentioned this Neil Druckmann interview:

https://youtu.be/qmZ9RGKn74M?t=207 @3:27

"The thing we haven't been shy about saying is this is the final chapter in Nathan Drakes story.........You finish it, you reach that ending it definitely brings closure, it will be hard to make a sequel to this game."

Edit: Anyway, from everything I have seen and heard I have no doubt this will be the best Uncharted game. Whether it tops TLOU remains to be seen.

Druckmann is the perfect person to delivery a weirdly dark/grim ending to uncharted. The man's lust for it is strong. I look forward to it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

When did Bungie say Halo 3 was the end of the Halo series? MS would not have allowed that.

Bungie was glad to leave Halo behind, and ND will likely be glad to leave UC behind too. Sales has no impact on what the dev team wants to do.

If Uncharted continues, it will probably be with a new dev.

Ok that's definitely them saying its the end. Point taken!

However I still don't think it's the end if it does well. They flip flopped on TLOU getting a sequel after it sold 5+ million.

Yeah, that's why I presented "End of an Era" as a question instead of a fact. Rarely anything is ever truly set in stone. But, Naughty Dog has never made more than four games per series. They made four Crash Bandicoot games. Sony, without Naughty Dog, made a fifth (Crash Bash), before they lost the rights. They made four Jak and Daxter games. Sony, without Naughty Dog, made two more (Daxter and Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier). Sony has made four Uncharted games. Sony, without Naughty Dog made one (Uncharted: Golden Abyss). I see The Last of Us as the only Naughty Dog created series that won't reach four games, unless they create games with different characters. I also do think that Sony will continue the Uncharted series. As someone in this thread said, Sony could go the 343 route and create a studio whose soul purpose is to make Uncharted games.

zsynqx

I'm sure Sony will come up with a way.

Potentially, but I feel this is almost definitely the last naughty dog Uncharted. At least for a very long time.

Still doing mocap 5 months before release?

As I said earlier, exactly the same timeframe as TLOU. Naughty Dog make the game and write the story at the same time so that both inform one another. This would imply that the game is likely close to being finished; obviously in a very unpolished state.

sense

Ok that's definitely them saying its the end. Point taken!

However I still don't think it's the end if it does well. They flip flopped on TLOU getting a sequel after it sold 5+ million.

some of you do understand the difference between last nathan drake game and last uncharted game right? if it does well and it most likely will then sony will have a new studio or naughty dog make another uncharted down the line with a NEW protagonist.

LeonSPBR

In sales, not even close. But both Crash and Uncharted is very playstation if you know what I mean. You can't talk PS without mention their games. Both are great franchise remembered by every PS fan, but Uncharted feels more relevant to me than Crash was at the time.

Top Bottom