• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

End of an era? Nolan North has wrapped up UC4 MoCap work

Ricky_R

Potentially, but I feel this is almost definitely the last naughty dog Uncharted. At least for a very long time.

I would say certaintly, whether it's ND or any other studio. Do you actually believe that there's a chance Sony will miss out on what it's arguably their biggest franchise today?

I don't see it.

MouldyK

"The thing we haven't been shy about saying is this is the final chapter in Nathan Drakes story.........You finish it, you reach that ending it definitely brings closure, it will be hard to make a sequel to this game."

Bullocks. As long as Drake is alive at the end of UC4, there'll be sequel chances.

zsynqx

I would say certaintly, whether it's ND or any other studio. Do you actually believe that there's a chance Sony will miss out on what it's arguably their biggest franchise today?

I don't see it.

Like I said before, I reckon TLOU is bigger but you may well be right about Sony milking the franchise. I honestly don't know who would make it though.

Neil Druckmann just tweeted an image celebrating (most likely bittersweetly) Nolan North's wrapping of MoCap work on Uncharted 4: A Thief's End.

dggv7CP.png

Maybe his pose is just a coincidence, though.

sense

Bullocks. As long as Drake is alive at the end of UC4, there'll be sequel chances.

i don't understand why there can't be another uncharted without nathan drake. naughty dog will not go back on their word and make another uncharted with nathan drake and i don't think sony will mind uncharted with a different character as long as they can market it as an uncharted game.

KiraXD

Still doing mocap 5 months before release?

do you understand how mocap works? even on a very basic principle? (this sounds like im being a smart ass... im actually really just asking if you know anything about mocap sorry it sounds snarky lol) The game can be fully modeled and complete with basic animation. They just have to link mocap data with those models and test... its not that much more work really.

https://twitter.com/nolan_north/status/655206056189005824

Do you guys possibly know how to link an image of a tweet? :) Would be much appreciated.

It's not as easy as it should be. You need to find the tweet you want to share and then save the image to a site such as Imgur or Photobucket and then link from there. I used the Imgur extension on Firefox which lets you take a shot of the page you want to share and then within Imgur, you can edit it and then get the link. Once it's ready, use the image button above (it's the one that looks like a mountain range with a sun) and copy the link into it and paste that into your post.

ClearData

I hope UC4 really closes the book on Uncharted. Drake has had a great career and it feels right that Naughty Dog ends it. I think Bend did an admirable job with Golden Abyss but I don't know of many developers that I would trust to make a AAA Uncharted if that were to happen. Maybe Ready at Dawn but they want to do their own I.P..

Also, Druckmann looks like a man chained to his desk amidst crunch time for the game for sure. I hope the stress isn't too bad on the team.

zsynqx

It's not as easy as it should be. You need to find the tweet you want to share and then save the image to a site such as Imgur or Photobucket and then link from there. I used the Imgur extension on Firefox which lets you take a shot of the page you want to share and then within Imgur, you can edit it and then get the link. Once it's ready, use the image button above (it's the one that looks like a mountain range with a sun) and copy the link into it and paste that into your post.

Thanks a bunch :). Hopefully a less convoluted way becomes available in the future.

Elios83

Can't wait for the Drake's series grand finale =)
I'm sure that Uncharted will be back, just like God of War :D but I guess that after U4 the other games we'll get this gen from ND will be TLOU2 and a new IP.
It will be glorious anyway :p

Wow can't believe they are still doing mocap for this game. I don't know anything about the development process but I assumed that would have been done awhile ago if the game is set for release in March.

For context, TLoU's mocap finished on the 22nd of December 2012, and the game was released in June 2013. (delayed from the initial May)

So, it's just about the same window of "mo-cap completion" to "finished game" as per ND's timing.

Floody

This is really bittersweet, I absolutely love the Uncharted series and Drake, so seeing them potentially go forever, or at the least not be back for a very long time, is sad, but then I can't help but get excited and happy thinking about what comes next for Naughty Dog.

I don't believe studios when they claim a game is the last one anymore.

Remember when Halo 3 was the end? Or Metal Gear Solid 4? (Or 3... Or 2....)

Remember Final Fantasy? (Okay I'm kidding about that one)
well, halo 3 was certainly bungie's last, wasn't it? and chronologically, mgs4 is the last metal gear game, ain't it?

jtar86

I hope so, I love uncharted, but I'm also ready for ND to do something new. They're one of my favorite developers and I'm excited to see what they can come up with if they get a chance to do a totally new ip.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't believe studios when they claim a game is the last one anymore.

Remember when Halo 3 was the end? Or Metal Gear Solid 4? (Or 3... Or 2....)

Remember Final Fantasy? (Okay I'm kidding about that one)

They never claimed this was the last Uncharted.

They claimed this was the last Nathan Drake game.

ODST and Reach

Bungie worked on Halo 3: ODST and Halo Reach before moving on to Destiny.
ah, true. i mean, those games could be due to some agreements/disagreements with mS, but fair enough. you got me there.
Do people really think this mocap is impressive? The Uncharted veteran in me isn't satisfied.

tumblr_nbga3hcGYz1tqxx5xo7_r3_250.gif
this is gonna sound weird, but the only thing about mocap that comes off as iffy to me, is how the elbows come out in the finished product. and that's not something just about the uncharted games. i've noticed this in second son as well.

They never claimed this was the last Uncharted.

They claimed this was the last Nathan Drake game.
well technically, it's not up to them whether or not this is the last uncharted game, is it? whatever happens though i think sony will respect their wishes of ending nathan drake's story here.

Floody

well technically, it's not up to them whether or not this is the last uncharted game, is it? whatever happens though i think sony will respect their wishes of ending nathan drake's story here.

No, Sony has the final say, but they probably wouldn't want to piss off Naughty Dog, so would let them have a very big say in what happens after 4, if they (ND) say they don't want to make another one yet, I doubt they'll force them or take it away and let someone else try it.

What if Uncharted 4 reveals Nate and Elena have a son together and at the end of the game Nate officially retires from treasure seeking and then it jumps many years later to show that Nate Jr. (or whatever his name is) had followed in his father's footsteps and the game ends there. No guarantee of a sequel or anything (kind of like how the end of Back to the Future 1 was apparently meant as a fun joke end and not a set up for a franchise). It would just be a fun little thing.

No, Sony has the final say, but they probably wouldn't want to piss off Naughty Dog, so would let them have a very big say in what happens after 4, if they (ND) say they don't want to make another one yet, I doubt they'll force them or take it away and let someone else try it.

yep. they seemed heavily reluctant in golden abyss being made and said no to a sequel to it, sony listened. they alsi couldve forced nd to meet the q4 2015 deadline for Uc4 like they did with Uc3, but didnt.

but like, for arguments' sake, what would even happen if sony pissed off nd? would thry try to splinter off like bungie did to mS?

zsynqx

yep. they seemed heavily reluctant in golden abyss being made and said no to a sequel to it, sony listened. they alsi couldve forced nd to meet the q4 2015 deadline for Uc4 like they did with Uc3, but didnt.

but like, for arguments' sake, what would even happen if sony pissed off nd? would thry try to splinter off like bungie did to mS?

If Sony became to controlling it would probably result in some high level employees leaving. That would be my best bet. As for the Bungie thing, I am not really sure how they would go about doing that so who knows. Luckily, Sony seems pretty hands off atm.

Floody

Worse case high-ups could leave ND, but most likely they'd just do a half arsed sequel, they didn't want to do, then probably leave not long after.

stryke

It's probably the end of the Naughty Dog Uncharted era, but I'm sure Sony will try to keep it alive in some shape or form.

Either it will have a reboot or they'll do some Dragonball Z movies type thing where the games are just self contained stories that don't fit specifically in an overall timeline.

Remember TDKR?
d5gmXFk.gif

Nathan is probably retiring.

Oh God, I can see that being the ending actually. Nate fakes his death, then at the very end Sully sees Nate and Elena hanging out somewhere exotic and they exchange nods and smiles. Cut to black. Don't know I feel about that though.

Top Bottom