• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No jacket, dress shirt and tie vs Jacket, dress shirt - no tie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wag

Slim-Fit-Shirt-Slim-Tie1.jpg

vs

7ca57ab74dbe61aec866236cc694a32e.jpg

I volunteered at a big charity event this weekend and was amazed to find that I was pretty much the only guy there wearing a tie. Everyone else was wearing a jacket, dress shirt and no tie (with the exception of the wait staff who was wearing the former). The same goes for a corporate office I was applying to. Not a single guy was wearing a tie- they were all wearing jackets with no ties.

When did ties go out of style? Am I that out of touch?

Guevara

I don't think you should wear a tie unless you have also have a jacket.

Obviously you can take the jacket off at the table, etc.

Putzweg

1. Dress like the others (i.e follow the informal dress code), this saves you lots of headache thinking about this meaningless thing.

2. Jacket without tie is a bit boring.

3. Say what you want but shirt+tie is a bit exciting and different.

4. Anything is fine. Just dont wear different jacket+pants together with a tie. Such as a black jacket with a shirt and with jeans AND a tie. Never have tie to that combination.

I would wear the first one just because it's more comfortable. But neither would seem odd to me in the situation you described.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Ties seem to be going out of style.

I still wear a tie once or twice a week to work, on the days I don't have a jacket on. People around the office have commented on me wearing a tie, I say fuck them and I'll continue to wear a tie when I feel like it.

Don't be a sheep, wear a tie and be a real leader.

zychi

Banned
Tie with no jacket looks like you're an inten or waiter. Jacket with no tie looks better. Jacket with tie looks best.

Pastry

Banned
I wear a jacket and no tie to work once or twice a week, occasionally I'll wear a tie but usually I don't bother.

Fury451

Banned
Tie with no jacket makes you look like you are going to a high school homecoming dance.

Word.

Jacket with tie, But if no jacket, a nice tie (slim if that works for your body type) and a slim fitted/nicely tailored shirt looks really good.

Jacket and no tie is only appropriate for weekend or casual dress occasions. But there are a lot of workplaces that are more of a casual dress now, so maybe if it's been more than it used to.

Draft

On all but the most stylish a shirt and tie with no jacket looks off. It's the uniform of waiters and children going to church. You're Johnny Knoxville and have a rad tie and a little stubble and it's the kind of event that allows the tie to be a bit undone and sloppy looking? OK. You are just a dude (full disclosure: I am just some dude) and your tie isn't that great and neither is your shirt and the result is Mormon missionary on casual Friday.

Jacket and no tie is a classic look. Very easy to successfully pull off.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
If you are wearing a tie, you have better have a jacket nearby.

Tie + No Jacket = Olive Garden Waiter or Child

JFK killed the hat.
Obama killed the tie.

OD-AZ371_TIES_G_20131018112425.jpg
The only one that pulls it off there is Obama.

No tie + Jacket beats Tie + No Jacket. Although OP picture guy should do up another button.
I don't know why one would go tie + no jacket (that's not to say you can't take off the jacket at times.)

Vest with tie is also acceptable

Joseph-GordonLLevitt-Vest-necktie1.jpg
This is only acceptable on Joseph-Gordon Levitt though, because he's JGL. If one isn't JGL and doesn't look remotely like him in terms of build and general attractiveness, they shouldn't attempt this.

GorillaJu

I never wear a tie without a jacket or at least a waistcoat on top. Shirt and tie with no jacket makes you look like a grocery store assistant manager.

Woffls

I used to wear a tie to work, though nobody else did. I wouldn't always wear my jacket at my desk, but you bet I would wear it upon leaving my desk for more than a minute.

Putting on a suit or dressing around a jacket seems like a wasted opportunity without a well chosen tie.

I think the shirt and tie look suits some people, and other look better with the jacket and no look. Different strokes for different folks, and all that.

I like the shirt and tie look, but I get flashbacks to when I worked in a callcentre when I wear it. I also lack a decent enough jacket to pull off the other look.

WedgeX

Banned
JFK killed the hat.
Obama killed the tie.

OD-AZ371_TIES_G_20131018112425.jpg

Obama looks far better with the tie.

LN3vUPw.jpg

Bunch of tie haters in here. Both style are fine, OP.

My organization has a very lax, non-formal dress code so I alternate casual Fridays with Tie Day Fridays. Its awesome.

alatif113

Real question is tie+dress shirt+v-neck sweater or just v-neck sweater+dress shirt.

Collar always stays under the sweater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom