• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft FY16 Q1: Xbox HW rev down 17%, live rev up 17%, XBL MAU users up 28% to 39M

Rymuth

Xbox hardware revenue decreased 17%, mainly due to lower volumes of Xbox 360 consoles sold. Video games revenue grew 66%, driven by sales of Minecraft.

Xbox Live monthly active users (MAU) grew 28% to 39 million during Microsoft’s last financial quarter, the company reported today; however, due to a decrease in Xbox 360 sales, revenue from consoles sales declined.

Microsoft said for the quarter ending September 30, net income came in at $4.62 billion compared to $4.54 billion year-over-year.

Revenue fell $20.38 billion from $23.20 billion year-over-year.

source VG247

Dis-kinect me if old or if poorly worded.

EDIT: FULL REPORT HERE

EDIT 2: PERSONAL COMPUTING

Gaming revenue increased slightly, as growth in revenue from Xbox Live and video games was offset in part by lower Xbox hardware revenue. Xbox Live revenue increased 17%, driven by both higher volumes of transactions and revenue per transaction. Video games revenue grew 66%, driven by sales of Minecraft. We acquired Mojang AB, the Swedish video game developer of the Minecraft gaming franchise, in November 2014. Xbox hardware revenue decreased 17%, mainly due to lower volumes of Xbox 360 consoles sold.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
XBOX hardware revenue is of course down because the 360 decline and because last year XB1 is released in others counrties...
EDIT: not XBOX shipments? Not even XBOX family!? wtf :-|

harSon

Banned
Didn't they introduce the Kinectless XB1 during this quarter last year, effectively dropping the price by $100?

Crono27

microsoft is going third party confirmed.... But it's expected with less people buying 360. Wondering how it will look come next quarter.

If the xbox dies I hope they release their games on windows 10. I will fight for them to stay afloat and purchase another console if it helps them keep afloat.

IvanJ

Banned
Revenue decreasing by 17% is pretty bad. Means that decline in 360 (which is much cheaper) cannot be offset by XOne sales. Wouldn't surprise me that XOne sales are down yoy as well.

Aren't the average selling prices of Xbox ones lower in 2016 compared to the same quarter in 2015?

Or is that a quarter to quarter drop? (Which would be a weird comparison to make)

Could also account for the revenue decline.

Boke1879

Revenue decreasing by 17% is pretty bad. Means that decline in 360 (which is much cheaper) cannot be offset by XOne sales. Wouldn't surprise me that XOne sales are down yoy as well.

Definitely have to wait and see how the holidays go but this is why I say they can't keep lowering the price like so many believe they will.

Hasn't it been stated before that MS as a whole wants the Xbox One hardware to be profitable at some point?

eFKac

This is the whole FY report?

So no shipment numbers? Fuck you Microsoft, man up or at least combine them with those tablets or whatever is in this division.

Troy

Banned
And people laughed at them for "overpaying" for Minecraft. Haha. Great numbers outside of the 360 drop, but that was bound to happen. Seems like with backwards compatibility, they don't care if they hasten it along.

Top Bottom