• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft FY16 Q1: Xbox HW rev down 17%, live rev up 17%, XBL MAU users up 28% to 39M

Boke1879

Two remasters Gears and Rare Replay.

They will no doubt have a great holiday but if their sales continue to taper off during the 9 other months of the year that really can't bode all too well. Especially since they aren't giving us numbers now.

This is a of new record. lol.

Yeah. Sadly MS is and has been only company that can do it as Xbox is so small part of their business that people don't ask for those numbers that much if they are bad. Even during worst times of PlayStation gaming was still decent chunk of total business of Sony so they had to share some hw numbers. Also as Nintendo is gaming company only for them it's pretty obligatory no matter how bad the numbers are.

It's the Q1 of the new fiscal year and Microsoft changed somethings on the report.

The lack of Xbox One shipments is the new standard, there's nothing to do with poor sales in the last quarter.

Yeah looks like this is going to be the standard now which is a huge bummer because we are not gonna have much clue what it sells in the non tracked markets. Only way we know now is if investors demand it which isnt likely or MS themselves at a separate time announce ship number milestones

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Yeah. Sadly MS is and has been only company that can do it as Xbox is so small part of their business that people don't ask for those numbers that much if they are bad. Even during worst times of PlayStation gaming was still decent chunk of total business of Sony so they had to share some hw numbers. Also as Nintendo is gaming company only for them it's pretty obligatory no matter how bad the numbers are.

That's why i like Nintendo quarter report way more than all others company.
They ALWAYS release all numbers.

Xenus

This is a of new record. lol.

Yeah it strikes of trying to find a way to keep xbox live around while possibly moving away from the dedicated device field. aka Can we get x Million of people to pay use 40-50 dollars a year for while not having a dedicated device for it?

Heimbeck

Banned
Sure they want it to. But they also want the brand out there. Better to win the war of the living room and lose money than lose the war and add a few pennies to the vault.

Xbox has never been about making money for MS. It's s goal, but not the main one.

How much do they even care about controlling the living room with the Xbox anymore?
Seems like something that would never happen with the range of devices available.
They also focus more on the Xbox as their gaming platform now, rather than an all in one box.

Kill3r7

Yeah looks like this is going to be the standard now which is a huge bummer because we are not gonna have much clue what it sells in the non tracked markets. Only way we know now is if investors demand it which isnt likely or MS themselves at a separate time announce ship number milestones

Agreed.

jjonez18

I googled their financial report and this is apparently all there is for Xbox data.

Well... I'm ghost. The shipped numbers are the fun part.

That's why i like Nintendo quarter report way more than all others company.
They ALWAYS release all numbers.

Yup. Their software are always so leggy too. Curious to where where the likes of Splatoon and Mario Maker are. But that's a topic for another thread :p

They will no doubt have a great holiday but if their sales continue to taper off during the 9 other months of the year that really can't bode all too well. Especially since they aren't giving us numbers now.

This should get better, IMO. The first half of 2016 already looks way better than the beginning of 2015.

Chobel

So no more Xbox shipment numbers from MS? That's disappointing :/

I'll guess we'll just have to hope it gets mentioned in some PR from Satya Nadella or Phil Spencer.

Kayant

Well at least there is still Lumia numbers -_- -

Devices revenue decreased $1.8 billion or 49%, mainly due to lower revenue from phones, driven by the shift in strategy for the phone business, as well as lower Surface revenue. Phones revenue decreased $1.5 billion or 58%, as we sold 5.8 million Lumia phones and 25.5 million other non-Lumia phones in the first quarter of fiscal year 2016, compared with 9.3 million and 42.9 million sold, respectively, in the prior year. Surface revenue decreased $236 million or 26%, primarily driven by the release of Surface Pro 3 in June 2014.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Yup. Their software are always so leggy too. Curious to where where the likes of Splatoon and Mario Maker end up. But that's a topic for another thread :p

I know is OT, but since i can't resist xD i predict 1.25 million shipped+digital for Mario Maker ( the game sold 1 million retail+digital as well by 30 September 2015), and you can see here my Splatoon prediction ( all quarter since 31 December 2017 )

12140683_153818984965162_814820351589152646_n.jpg

But, i most likely underestimated this quarter... i predict 700k, but since it sold retail+digital over 500k only in Japan and US, i believe the total shipments will be bigger than my 2.32m prediction.

Thanks.

Paremides (sp?) used to list all the numbers for each fiscal quarter/year in the OP. Lotta work, but great format. I'll try to see if i can find one of his old threads

31 Dec 2013: 7.4 million (3.9m XB1 / 3.5m 360)
31 Mar 2014: 2 million (1.2m XB1 / 800k 360)
30 Jun 2014: 1.1 million
30 Sep 2014: 2.4 million
31 Dec 2014: 6.6 million
31 Mar 2015: 1.6 million
30 Jun 2015: 1.4 million

allan-bh

Phil Spencer is talking that people can play in different platforms, all are part of the same ecosystem, so this change makes sense.

Microsoft will emphasize how many people play on Xbox Live.

Phil Spencer is talking that people can play in different platforms, all are part of the same ecosystem, so this change makes sense.

Microsoft will emphasize how many people play on Xbox Live.

Tbh so far that is almost all talk. As of now there is still next to zero PC support and their phones are bombing.

Honest question. Why do the nokia phones suck? I had one for about a week. It had the most amazing camera I ever had on a phone, but I returned it a week later for an iphone. Why doesn't ms partner up with andriod or apple. The windows store is a fuckin joke. They have an amazing phone and BUTCHER it by keeping it window apps only. I answered my own question. I'm gonna go throw rocks at my car, I'm pissed.

I know is OT, but since i can't resist xD i predict 1.25 million shipped+digital for Mario Maker ( the game sold 1 million retail+digital as well by 30 September 2015), and you can see here my Splatoon prediction ( all quarter since 31 December 2017 )

12140683_153818984965162_814820351589152646_n.jpg

But, i most likely underestimated this quarter... i predict 700k, but since it sold retail+digital over 500k only in Japan and US, i believe the total shipments will be bigger than my 2.32m prediction.

Seriously? A Splatoon prediction chart with your name on it in a thread about MS =(lack of) numbers? Wow

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Me and my friend both bought an Xbox One last month

We'll keep you afloat, Microsoft, we'll keep you afloat

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood

And which milestones would that be? They gonna announce that they past the 20m mark when the PS4 is at 40m+? Yeah... probably isn't going to happen.

Well outside the US/ UK the thing sells like shit, so I guess we still have a pretty good idea what the WW sales are. Still sucks we don't have the shipment numbers anymore, because they were the easiest to compare between the big three.

Good guy Spencer is just keeping his promise.
He stated that console wars suck.
So he stops giving out hardware numbers.
Mission accomplished.
Peace is restored.

Boke1879

Suggests they're repositioning Xbox primarily as a service rather than a physical platform.

Technically both PS4 and Xbox are positioning themselves as services.

It kinda lines up with what Spencer was talking about. Saying they don't think they can beat the PS4 but they'll make the One the best platform it can be.

I would have assumed with Microsoft announcing like 5 different holiday bundles, they would have huge shipping numbers to announce...

Those bundles would have to be shipped by now considering their release dates...

Weird they just omitted them..

Tfault

Yep, no more numbers, from MS own mouth. Live is the new matric!

The second metric that's changing is the addition of Xbox Live active users that replaces the Xbox console unit metric. Console sales will continue to be provided in other earnings materials when they are a driver of changes and revenue and operating income.

Welfare

Welp, this sucks.

Only hardware numbers we'll probably get now is either them hitting every 10 million or end of year sales.

Elios83

Wow, so no more Xbox shipment datas? :O
I guess it's a combination of two factors:

1)Sales are poor, they have nothing positive to gain in disclosing those datas
2)Xbox as a home console is less and less important in their gaming vision which is shifting to something more global including PCs and mobile plaftorms, so Xbox is not at the core.

Number 1 is definetly not good, number two it depends if you like that new vision or not.

Top Bottom