• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: AC Syndicate launch lowest of any AC except Rogue

AHA-Lambda

Lock if old.
Doubt it's including any handheld spin offs.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-26-assassins-creed-syndicate-is-the-uks-number-one-game

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate is the UK's number one game - but it's the lowest-selling major Assassin's Creed game.

Chart-Track, which features physical sales only, said Syndicate's launch sales fell short of surpassing any of the major entries in the series.

Syndicate beat launch sales of Assassin's Creed: Rogue, but that game launched on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 only at the same time as last year's Unity, and so the comparison isn't appropriate.

Edit: the 6 day vs 3 day quote has been removed as this has been proven false.

Not particularly surprising. Some of the buzz in the OT has been unexpectedly positive, but hype before launch seemed to be at an all-time low.

keidashxd

That was... totally expected. Don't know if deserved but after Unity anyone expected something different than this?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
No surprise. It's following a bad game and doesn't really add anything new.

JordanKZ

The problem with Ubisoft is their reliance on these major games to prop their entire company up.

If AC had a couple of 'off years' and some time to refine its mechanics and hey, maybe change up the gameplay somewhat, I'd probably be down to play another. But, MGS5, for all its flaws, is such a superior open world experience in terms of experimentation and options. It's kind of hard to go straight into an AC with so many limits when it comes to combat.

Hasney

Known numbers. Credit to Bruno MB for all the other numbers that aren't Syndicate:

[Week 46, 2007] ASSASSIN'S CREED (UBISOFT) - 156,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 47, 2009] ASSASSIN'S CREED II (UBISOFT) - 175,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 46, 2010] ASSASSIN'S CREED: BROTHERHOOD (UBISOFT) - 228,500 / NEW (90%)
[Week 46, 2011] ASSASSIN'S CREED: REVELATIONS (UBISOFT) - 238,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 44, 2012] ASSASSIN'S CREED III (UBISOFT) - 355,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 44, 2013] ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG (UBISOFT) - 128,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 46, 2014] ASSASSIN'S CREED: UNITY (UBISOFT) - 153,000 / NEW (95%)
[Week 46, 2014] ASSASSIN'S CREED: ROGUE (UBISOFT) -
[Week 43, 2015] ASSASSIN'S CREED: SYNDICATE (UBISOFT) 50,484 - 128,000

The range for Syndicate is based on FIFA 16 in 2 and Black Flag being top.

Worth noting that AC was also bundled with the newly pricedropped PS4. Watch dogs was also in the bundle and sales increased 430% from last week and it made it into the charts at 12.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Not surprising. It's suffering for Unity's flaws and there was also zero hype. The same way whatever Call of Duty after Ghosts suffered for Ghost's flaws. That's how it goes with these annual franchises.

JayEH

Hopefully this will finally open some eyes at Ubi and they'll stop with the formulaic open world design.

kamandi

Also worth mentioning is the fact Ubisoft released Syndicate on a Friday, meaning just three days worth of sales were counted to today's chart placing. Unity launched on a Tuesday, giving it six days worth of sales.

Well, comparing these two titles makes no sense then.

ZeroX03

Banned
Blag Flag followed another "bad game" and did great.

I love Syndicate but I hope the game sells lower than Ubi expectations, they need a wake up.

[Week 46, 2011] ASSASSIN'S CREED: REVELATIONS (UBISOFT) - 238,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 44, 2012] ASSASSIN'S CREED III (UBISOFT) - 355,000 / NEW (90%)
[Week 44, 2013] ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG (UBISOFT) - 128,000 / NEW (90%)

Sure seems like it hurt it.

If this is how a London-based game performs in the UK, then I can't wait to see how it fares in the NPD charts. I think certain territories are going to be really cold towards this entry, at least in comparison to previous AssCreed games. The strain is starting to show.

MrChom

After the disaster that was Unity that doesn't surprise me.

I pre-ordered Unity. I'm waiting until this one's on discount.

Less days tracked on top of the fact digital is getting a bigger portion of sales now.

I'm done with the series personally and regret buying Unity (Even really cheap)... but the whole article doesn't really mean much at all.

d00d3n

They released two subpar Creed games last year. Did they really think that all disappointed customers would return like sheep and buy this as well?

Radec

Also worth mentioning is the fact Ubisoft released Syndicate on a Friday, meaning just three days worth of sales were counted to today's chart placing. Unity launched on a Tuesday, giving it six days worth of sales.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Another proof for publishers that games with female (co-)protagonists don't sell!

Ugh depressingly, that's probably how some of them will interpret this, rather than simply look at this as franchise fatigue + Unity sucking.

sam777

UK chart tracker also include bundles, so this really is terrible as this game is being heavily bundled with the PS4.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Yeah, hard to be surprised. Unity wasn't well received, and this looked very by-the-books, especially with that initial showing. Just not enough different. Doesn't help that everyone had English accents in Unity too.

people don't milk bulls.

Well, not all people.

Dougald

Paying full price for an Assassins Creed title at this point is like paying full price for FIFA. Might as well just pick it up for a few quid in 6 months as its not like they really ever change that much

For what it's worth I enjoyed the setting in Unity as I'd really wanted to see the French Revolution, but even that couldn't keep me engaged for long enough to actually finish the game

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Black Flag week 1 sales are difficult to put into context since 360/PS3 launched first which is where those numbers come from, so some people may have been waiting on PS4/XB1.

BF first week was low, but it was the AC with the stronger legs, and if i'm not wrong, is the second bigger AC lifetime.
PS4 - XB1 released helped a lot.

patapuf

I think in adition to AC being kind of stale by now and having a bad entry in Unity, this year was pretty nuts for open world games and Fallout 4 is coming out soon to boot.

Ubi has lot more competition in the genre than a few years ago.

Rudiano

Banned
Also worth mentioning is the fact Ubisoft released Syndicate on a Friday, meaning just three days worth of sales were counted to today's chart placing. Unity launched on a Tuesday, giving it six days worth of sales

Lets wait for the other 3 days, silly to compare sales of 3 days to 6 days

Alo0oy

Banned
As I've said, I think this will be the worst performing AC since AC1, & that game sold 6 million. While that's still a great number, I think Ubisoft needs to find another cow to milk like Watch_Dogs.

Top Bottom