• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-season Thread 2015-2016 IOTI Back to the Future was a lie

calder

Okay i'm worried about Shapiro now. If he's the reason why AA isn't staying then fuck him.

I'm 100% ok with this and, as awesomely fun as this year has been for the Jays, there is no doubt AA shouldn't have gone so all-in as a GM. Again, I know why he did it and approved at the time (and still do!) but AA's moves the past few years have been a case study in moral hazard, and hitting a couple of jackpots late don't undo the poor decisions he made. If Shapiro didn't like the process (and he shouldn't, really) and AA wasn't going to get the sort of freedom he wanted as a GM then it's for the best that Alex move on.

But whoever comes in better the fuck love Gibby!

tumblr_nvnmnoD1BI1r37slco1_500.gif

Marlins have fired Dan Jennings after promising him his job in the front office back earlier this month. I was wondering when the Loria/Samson bullshit would start...

Edit: Michael Hill will be taking over GM duties. The circus continues!

The dumping of AA by the upper brass goes to show the utter incompetence that is present within Rogers. That's all I have to say.

Also, I doubt Gibby survives if Rogers gets their way with Shapiro.

The dumping of AA by the upper brass goes to show the utter incompetence that is present within Rogers.

Why do you think that?

Not that I am defending Rogers by any means, I am just curious what AA did that made him into an irreplaceable part of the organization in the eyes of so many fans. 5.75 of his 6 seasons as GM were very disappointing.

Why do you think that?

Not that I am defending Rogers by any means, I am just curious what AA did that made him into an irreplaceable part of the organization in the eyes of so many fans. 5.75 of his 6 seasons as GM were very disappointing.

Because I believe that he gambled this year, and won. At the very least, he deserves another year or two, or a bridge job as president to replace Beeston. Unfortunately, he doesn't even get that.

It also goes to show how Rogers cares little for the Jays now that they have the NHL TV contract, although even before getting their golden goose egg that was the case. Never putting the chips down to win. Well they did this year, it worked relatively well, and they still aren't impressed. Also, the fact that he could wheel a deal. He was second to none in the entire league when it came to swinging star players from other GM's.

zroid

Banned
Papa B coming off the books will be helpful, but a big chunk of that will probably have to go toward paying guys in arbitration. Donaldson will demand a big raise. Revere will get a raise if they decide to keep him.

If they want to sign a big free agent, there's probably going to have to be a significant budget increase.

Quick

Banned
Late to this: Donaldson winning Sporting News Player of the Year is great, but I can't help but feel that maybe Bryce Harper could've easily taken the award as well. I know he was second, but he had a great season individually. I guess players really preferred Donaldson.

Or Papelbon stuffed the ballot. lol

zroid

Banned
Here's a post I saw on reddit, outlining estimated payroll (arbitration amounts are estimates) for guys who are either signed or under team control:

http://i.imgur.com/u1BBOb8.gif[img]

Yikes at that rotation. Clearly where the vast majority of the money is going.

I also don't think they should bring back Revere. Advanced stats hate him.[/QUOTE]

I forgot about Martin's backloaded contract, that's gonna affect it too. I think he was making less than $10M this year.

Well the Jays still have Saunders, and he'll be cheaper than Revere. Pompey might emerge too (hopefully).

Ben is OK on this team, he's overrated as heck but he brings a contact and speed element that they're lacking, so keeping him wouldn't be the worst thing. The problem is he's gonna be relatively expensive for what he is. Also, in fairness to him, he did outperform his career numbers during his two months with Toronto to a point where he was actually pretty good. We shouldn't expect that to continue though.

Parch

Listening to the various media guys on Tim and Sid this year suggested that the Blue Jays front office has been really messed up for quite awhile now. Beeston and AA didn't get along and now Shapiro seems fully intent on doing it his way. So I'm not surprised AA would rather walk away. He's now got a good rep for a full control contract elsewhere.

No doubt Gibbons is next. A slow start and he's history.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
This off-season is going to be interesting to say the least.

Astros need upgrades at the corners and the Pen for damn sure. Another starter couldn't hurt either. Wouldn't mind them grabbing Gordon if he hits the market.

OP needs to be updated.

FA list
FA tracker
FA power rankings

If you'd like to PM me that stuff or help me make the OT a lot more... Nicer, then go ahead. I'm not great at making OTs I made it quick and dirty so people can talk about off season stuff in here rather than in the World Series thread.

3N16MA

Banned
If you'd like to PM me that stuff or help me make the OT a lot more... Nicer, then go ahead. I'm not great at making OTs I made it quick and dirty so people can talk about off season stuff in here rather than in the World Series thread.

No problem. I will send you the links.

Listening to the various media guys on Tim and Sid this year suggested that the Blue Jays front office has been really messed up for quite awhile now. Beeston and AA didn't get along and now Shapiro seems fully intent on doing it his way. So I'm not surprised AA would rather walk away. He's now got a good rep for a full control contract elsewhere.

No doubt Gibbons is next. A slow start and he's history.

You're assuming Gibby even makes it through the off-season. Hard to imagine a new GM wouldn't want his own guy in there.

That's not enough to get three replacement level starting pitchers. And you can't win the AL East that way. Those lineups will take pitches, step out of the batter's box, grind you up, and manufacture runs.

That's not enough to get three replacement level starting pitchers. And you can't win the AL East that way. Those lineups will take pitches, step out of the batter's box, grind you up, and manufacture runs.

Osuna is a starter next year, you get two journeymen to fill the other two out. Probably Leake and a reclamation project.

Malo

Banned
From Baseball America:

RHP James Kaprielian (1st) was working at 92-94 and touching 96 this summer, which is a bit higher than the college scouting reports. Also, both his slider and changeup received 65 grades on the 20-80 scouting scale

Oh my.

Parch

Blue Jay management has all the bases covered. They offered AA a 5 year contract, but he decided to walk. They can say it wasn't their fault.
When the team fails to repeat this year's success they'll just use AA as the excuse. "But he completely stripped the minor league system. It's not our fault."
Shapiro and whatever GM he picks will milk the AA excuse for at least a few years.

Top Bottom